[Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [0.2.5] [WIP] (Ores)

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

[Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [0.2.5] [WIP] (Ores)

by philipbenr » Post

lux_solis

My Goals for this game:

1: Make a good subgame that is enjoyable and beautiful.
2: Make a texture pack that fits well with the theme.
3: Add interactive parts that will allow for simple gameplay while still adding important elements to the game.
4: Fit the feedback of the people that leave suggestions.
5: Use some of the great mods some people have made for the game. (like #3)
6: Make it awesome... ;)

Mods included:
  • 4itemnames ( By: 4aiman -< >- CC-BY-NC 3.0 )
  • beds ( rewrite By: Blockmen -< >- WTFPL )
  • boats ( By: PilzAdam -< >- WTFPL )
  • bones (default)
  • bucket (default)
  • castle ( By: DanDuncombe and philipbenr -< >- GPLv3.0 )
  • columnia ( By: Glünggi -< >- Code: LGPLv2.1 and Media: CC BY-SA 3.0 )
  • classes ( By: Stu -< >- CC-BY-SA and WTFPL see LICENSE.md for more details )
  • creative (default)
  • default (default)
  • doors (default)
  • dye (default)
  • farming (redo By: TenPlus1 -< >- CC-BY-SA and WTFPL see README.txt for more details )
  • farming plus ( By: PilzAdam -< >- WTFPL )
  • fire (default)
  • flowers (default)
  • gems ( By: CaptainFap and jojoa97 -< >- WTFPL )
  • highlandpools ( By: paramat -< >- WTFPL )
  • hud ( By: Blockmen -< >- CC-BY-SA and WTFPL see README.txt for more details )
  • item_drop ( By: PilzAdam -< >- WTFPL )
  • kpgmobs ( By: krupnovpavel -< >- MIT license )
  • lrfurn ( By: thefamilygrog66 -< >- WTFPL )
  • lux ( By: philipbenr -< >- GPLv3.0 )
  • mtfoods ( By: philipbenr -< >- GPLv3.0 )
  • plantlife ( By: VanessaE -< >- See separate LICENSE for more details)
  • prestibags ( By: prestidigitator -< >- WTFPL )
  • sethome (default)
  • stairs (default)
  • timber ( By: Jeija -< >- GPLv3.0 )
  • tnt (default)
  • variator ( By: philipbenr -< >- GPLv3.0 )
  • vessels (default)
  • wool (default)
  • xfences ( By: xyz -< >- WTFPL )
  • xpanes (default)

TodoList:
  • Add my working tree mod.
  • make 32px textures for everything in the game.
  • Make a few tweaks to some mods.
  • Maybe add the elemental teleporter by curieuxx. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10000
  • I don't know... you tell me.

Screenshots:
Spoiler
Good old magpen6
My new lux mod. Sort of like reworked glow mod.
Also using TenPlus1's Farming redo mod
And paramat's highlandpools mod

As for the title, this is how I formatted it:
[Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [Current version] _ [Released or indev] _ (What am I working on)

Now, onto the download:

Dropbox 0.2.5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcby78nlikcry ... e.zip?dl=1

6.54MBs

Suggestion: Turn all TP's off while using this game. I worked pretty hard on these textures.

Please, leave feedback and suggestions. If you think a mod should be added, then give a link to it, and I'll tell you what I think.

(Also, tell me if the dropbox link is down. They changed their direct download links and such : / )
Last edited by philipbenr on Fri Nov 21, 2014 23:56, edited 6 times in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [0.2.5][WIP][lux_solis] Yeah its la

by Sokomine » Post

It would be great if the details of the posting (goals, models, screenshots, TODO) where actually readable. If they're hidden in spoiler tags, that's not given. Please refrain from using spoiler tags in the future so that your posting can be read entirely. You're not the only one who abuses that useless tag :-(
A list of my mods can be found here.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Sorry, I just try to keep my posts rather short. I'll keep the screenshots in a spoiler though.

Edit: Also, internet is so slow that I try to hide some of the images. It probably doesn't help, but is a sort of second nature to try and speed things up. I mean honestly, it takes 5+ minutes to download the minetest engine from github.
Last edited by philipbenr on Tue Aug 26, 2014 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Congratulations and good luck with your server! :)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Minetestforfun wrote:Congratulations and good luck with your server! :)
Don't I wish it was. Actually, this is a subgame for minetest. Goes in the same dir as minetest_game, minimal, carbone, voxelgarden, and all the other subgames. It is sort of like a large modpack, except it includes default and all the other default mods included in minetest_game. It also has it's own "front page" (in the minetest engine) and world types.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Thanks for using highlandpools, they look much better with some surface plants floating on them as you would expect with an isolated pool of water. The code can occasionally be very slow (unavoidable, it's due to how it works) so if anyone wonders why mapgen is lagging it's probably my fault =)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Are you kidding? I love almost every one of your magpens. I had to include something of yours. The only problem is that I am trying to go for a good, fast, and natural magpen, which is really hard to come by.

Also, if you come back, but for anybody out there, can I place .we schematics using perlin noise? I don't know if you can or not, but I think that I might use trees in a .we file and just use perlin noise to place them. Other than that, there is not much more to be done in the trees mod that I am doing... (wasn't all that big to begin with.)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Best to use Minetest's own schematic format '.mts', then write some noise code and 'place schematic'. Latest worldedit allows you to save any world volume as a .mts so converting .we to .mts shoould be easy.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Alright. I'll give it a try. Thanks paramat.

philipbenr

Re: [Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [0.2.5] -- Yeah its late..

by philipbenr » Post

Ok, now in minetest game section.

Anybody have suggestions on what to add or what to remove?

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Darkage might fit in well with this sub-game.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

That does sound like a good idea. I'll go look at CraigyDavi's fork.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I gave it a shot. It certainly has a nice look already. Keep up the nice work. :)

But the game crashes when I use a stone hoe. :(

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

philipbenr wrote: Also, if you come back, but for anybody out there, can I place .we schematics using perlin noise? I don't know if you can or not, but I think that I might use trees in a .we file and just use perlin noise to place them.
It depends on what else you use already. If your mapgen is v7, by all means use schematics and let v7 place them. That works very well as seen in Ethereal. It also works fine if you use the lua voxelmanipulator in on_generated, read your .we or .mts files manually, and place them node by node. Mixing both is not a good idea as that may have strange side-effects.
A list of my mods can be found here.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

@Sokomine: So this will only work if I use magpen v7 or LVM? Looking at paramat's post, I don't know, but anyhow, thanks for the reply.

@Wuzzy: I think that has to do with the older version of farming redo. I'll update it later. The main part of this sub-game is to make it look pretty, so I try my best at texturing. (I also must commend you on the tutorial world, I tried it and it was really nice.)

philipbenr

Re: [Game] ❂ Lux Solis ❂ [0.2.5]

by philipbenr » Post

New Feature coming up:

Adding more ores to the lux mod. I have moonstones already done, and am going to add some tools for these 'ores'. Moonstone will be able to be melted down into softer crystals and formed into blocks, tools or giant crystal decorations (probably meshnodes... Looks best that way.)

Also, I plan to get the oak and birch trees in later, but I have not found the time to look into it. I hope the .mts schem is place-able with perlin noise...

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

The feature above will be released in about two weeks with some other things. Any other ideas on what I should include? Inocudom said darkage, and I think that I might just do parts of it (I don't like the different stone. It sort of gets in the way and makes the world seem odd.) New ores? Meshnodes (I have enough blender exp, I think...)?

What do you think?

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

New ores and meshnodes are a good idea.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Anybody else? I am thinking of some changes that need to be done to castles++, but other than that...

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Philipbenr, I request that you post this sub-game in the forums of Freeminer too, if possible. You might be more likely to get ideas from 4aiman there.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I didn’t play this for long, but it sure seems promising. I like the style of your textures. :-)

OK, here are my suggestions:
  • Fix the recipe errors (see below)
  • The description text of the wielded item is poorly placed. Please place it somewhere where it does not collide with other HUD elements (like hearts and bread)
  • Add the cottages mod. Since you already used the castles mod, it makes sense.
  • Add a crafting guide. IMO it is a good idea to integrate one directly into the subgame than expecting from players to do this job.
The recipe checker script has reported the following recipes as faulty:
[DEBUG] checking recipes
(…)
[RECIPE ERROR] mobs:meat in recipe for mtfoods:mlt_burger
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_bottom
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_bottom
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_top
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_top
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_middle
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_sandstonebrick_middle
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_bottom
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_bottom
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_top
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_top
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_middle
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:pillars_desertstonebrick_middle
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:arrowslit_sandstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:arrowslit_sandstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:arrowslit_desertstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:arrowslit_desertstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] dyes:white in recipe for castle:fogged_glass
[RECIPE ERROR] default:sandstone_brick in recipe for castle:hole_sandstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:hole_desertstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] default:desert_stone_brick in recipe for castle:hole_desertstonebrick
[RECIPE ERROR] castle:chandelier_sides in recipe for castle:chandelier_sides
[RECIPE ERROR] castle:rope in recipe for castle:chandelier_sides
[RECIPE ERROR] castle:stairs in recipe for castle:stairs
[RECIPE ERROR] default:mese_fragment in recipe for varitools:glamdring
[RECIPE ERROR] default:mese_fragment in recipe for varitools:orcrist
[RECIPE ERROR] default:obisian_shard in recipe for varitools:orcrist
[RECIPE ERROR] default:steel_block in recipe for variblocks:steelblock_a
[RECIPE ERROR] varitools:chiesel in recipe for variblocks:steelblock_b
[RECIPE ERROR] varitools:chiesel in recipe for variblocks:steelblock_c
[RECIPE ERROR] dye:purple in recipe for variblocks:p_1
Most recipe errors come from the simple fact that one item in the recipe does not exist, thereore the whole recipe cannot be crafted in-game.

Edit: Some missing textures:
22:46:37: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "castle_battleaxe.png" while building texture
22:46:37: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "castle_battleaxe.png"
22:46:41: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "deco_sign_wall.png" while building texture
22:46:41: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "deco_sign_wall.png"
22:46:42: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "farming_cocoa_beans.png" while building texture
22:46:42: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "farming_cocoa_beans.png"
22:46:45: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "default_fence.png" while building texture
22:46:45: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "default_fence.png"
It is possible that this is the modder’s fault, however.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Yes, I am currently scrapping all the old castle pillars and replacing them with Glunggi's (?) columnia. The rest are fixable... Thank you for doing this. It helps a lot.

Edit: The second two suggestions are easy (transforming 16 to 32px textures isn't... :( )

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Inocudom wrote:Philipbenr, I request that you post this sub-game in the forums of Freeminer too, if possible. You might be more likely to get ideas from 4aiman there.
Dang! I was hoping to beat you to it and post it there before you requested... Oh well.

I think that is a pretty good idea, mainly because of 4aiman. I will be testing some things out with FM, just to make sure. If proller were to release a stable version, I would definitely download and test now. But as it is, I am going to wait until the planned release of the new features (2-3 weeks) because then I will have access to my Laptop, which allows me to access all the work I had done from last weekend and compiling FM from source. I will also be rigging up my Linux Auto Update MT script to have compatibility with FM. I will also post it there. That way it will not be unnoticed. :P

Thanks for reminding me.

@Wuzzy: Also, I need to remove the signs_lib I accidentally bundled with Lux_Solis. I think that it is hindering more than helping...
...And the farming error is due to TenPlus1's farming redo mod.

Finally, I am getting rid of the battleaxe for the subgame version because I have one in the variator modpack.
The rest is variator recipes.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

... And for anybody that has a tutorial on UV texturing, please post it here. It will speed up the creation process. I kinda want to make a texture worth advertizing. It is just not like me to have a non-textured item in MT. ;P

'Twould be much appreciated.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post