Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

User avatar
sfan5
Moderator
 
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:44
Location: Germany
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by sfan5 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 14:44

Zombie471 wrote:[...]I do not think Mojang would agree to the Minecraft deal.... Atleast not Notch, [...]

They just did, Notch will be leaving Mojang.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)
 

thetoon
Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by thetoon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 14:48

Baggypants wrote:Maybe Microsoft will open source Minecraft.


At one point, Notch suggested he would eventually open-source it himself (like when sales would drop). I guess this is out of question now.
 

User avatar
Casimir
Member
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Casimir » Mon Sep 15, 2014 14:57

Oh, now I think to understand why Microsoft bought Minecraft.
The single and only reason to run Windows is, you can be sure that every software that is commercially available runs on Windows. That is the only feature they have and all their only business model. Then Notch stated that there won't be a version for the Windows phone. But that is something Microsoft can not let happen. If the most successful PC game does not run on every windows properly, thats the beginning of their end. They just can not allow it. That also explains the absurd deal of 2.5 billion. I think Notch could have requested 5 billion or more, Microsoft would have payed any amount. They don't want it to pay of anytime. The only reason is to keep their business model alive.
 

User avatar
Zombie471
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:20
In-game: Zombie471

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Zombie471 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 16:17

Baggypants wrote:Maybe Microsoft will open source Minecraft.


xD you're funny! MS Would never do that, they just want moneymoneymoney.
 

User avatar
Zombie471
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:20
In-game: Zombie471

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Zombie471 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 16:21

sfan5 wrote:
Zombie471 wrote:[...]I do not think Mojang would agree to the Minecraft deal.... Atleast not Notch, [...]

They just did, Notch will be leaving Mojang.


holy crap no! I am staying on 1.8, not going to 1.9. Nonono...
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5886
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 16:40

"Minecraft encourages users to build their own versions of the game, such as this Hunger Games title."

Ha ha ha, lol.
 

Azvael
Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 06:50

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Azvael » Mon Sep 15, 2014 16:43

It's a done deal, folks.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/15/technol ... ney_latest

MC won't open source MC. Looking at MS' business patterns in the last few years, I'm not optimistic about MC's future, the future of the modding community, or development on non-MS platforms. A lot of new players will stick with it becuase they don't know any better, but the players who've been with the game for a long time...I suspect many of them will leave as MC begins to slowly creep in it's changes and restrictions.

Regarding the OP, I'm trying not to think about it. :(
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:04

But Robin of PureZC said the following:
Robin wrote:This is all just silly speculation though. We don't even know if this is real yet. If I'm not mistaken, the original source of the rumor stems from the Wall Street Journal - the same outlet that claimed Google was buying Twitch a couple of weeks ago - something that turned out to be false, Google didn't buy Twitch, Amazon did. Why does this matter with this case? It doesn't, but it gives us an indication of the validity of the rumors.



And even with that said, even if Microsoft does buy Mojang, there's no reason to think that would mean they're going to force the creative team down a certain route - for all we know, Microsoft just wants to put their name on the thing, because they've gotta know what made Minecraft popular, and sending someone to meddle with what's already gold, probably isn't something Microsoft sees as a good idea. So that leaves us with the question: why exactly would this be so bad? I mean, other than stupid speculation from some idiot on Youtube, how can you be so sure that this would be a bad thing for both Mojang and Minecraft? What if you're wrong, and Microsoft just decides to spruce up their budget and leave em to their own devices, and the end product ends up being the best thing that has ever happened to Minecraft? See what I did there? I speculated. I have no way of knowing that it's going to go down that route, but neither do you.



And you're wasting time worrying about something that absolutely has the chance of being completely fine - and the people who are making a big deal out of this at this point are just hipsters who does it because they think it's cool to hate on Microsoft. And it's completely fine to hate on Microsoft, there's plenty of valid reasons to hate on that company, but rumors that aren't in any way confirmed yet are not one of those reasons.



On top of that, I still don't see why Microsoft would want to do this. Minecraft has already sold insane amounts of copies, there's a limit to how many more they're going to sell compared to the number of already sold copies. And anyone with some common sense would tell you that there's no way in hell that a Minecraft 2 would be doing just as well as the first one. So that leaves me asking why the fuck Microsoft would want to do this. So no, I don't trust these rumors. I don't see the it as being a profitable purchase for Microsoft. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but let's leave the hating until we've got something to hate on. It's not as if that douchebag with a greenscreen is going to stop this from happening if the rumor turns out to be true.

He seems like an expert on these things too. Of course, he is probably in error here, especially considering the fact that he feels the need to spew hatred for a person on YouTube that clearly does not deserve it.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

User avatar
stormchaser3000
Member
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:02
GitHub: stormchaser3000

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by stormchaser3000 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:07

well it is official from what i read. Microsoft has now got ownership of mojang but i will chack a few other sources.

EDIT: yep it is offical http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sept14/09-15news.aspx
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:17

stormchaser3000 wrote:well it is official from what i read. Microsoft has now got ownership of mojang but i will chack a few other sources.

EDIT: yep it is offical http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sept14/09-15news.aspx

I would say that it would have been better if Nintendo bought Mojang, but then there would never again be PC versions afterwards. I am interested in hearing what Robin of PureZC says about this.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

User avatar
MirceaKitsune
Member
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 22:31
Location: Romania, Bucharest
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by MirceaKitsune » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:24

Inocudom wrote:I would say that it would have been better if Nintendo bought Mojang, but then there would never again be PC versions afterwards. I am interested in hearing what Robin of PureZC says about this.


Nintendo doesn't even tolerate having a fanbase. If they got MC, any website that even dared to post screenshots from it would be attacked. That happened with Pokemon B&W some years ago, when they tried to create their own SOPA type law... since then they're pretty much the company I hate most.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:53

MirceaKitsune wrote:
Inocudom wrote:I would say that it would have been better if Nintendo bought Mojang, but then there would never again be PC versions afterwards. I am interested in hearing what Robin of PureZC says about this.


Nintendo doesn't even tolerate having a fanbase. If they got MC, any website that even dared to post screenshots from it would be attacked. That happened with Pokemon B&W some years ago, when they tried to create their own SOPA type law... since then they're pretty much the company I hate most.

Well, I don't play any of Nintendo's games anymore, thanks to Kid Icarus: Uprising and its disturbing beliefs and disgusting sense of humor. I am not surprised that they have become so evil. I guess they really are the Disney of the video gaming world. If they were to have a favorite planet, it would probably be the one below:
Image
Funny, because I really hate Saturn. Of course, Microsoft is pretty evil as well, so they probably favor that planet as well. There is a reason why it is called The Great Malefic, you know. Look it up on the internet.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

Morn76
Member
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 19:45

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Morn76 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 21:02

Inocudom wrote:Funny, because I really hate Saturn. Of course, Microsoft is pretty evil as well, so they probably favor that planet as well. There is a reason why it is called The Great Malefic, you know. Look it up on the internet.

EA also has plenty of Saturn symbolism in their current logo with the black disk and ring. *Sigh*, I remember the 80s when EOA were the good guys and stood for quality games. Who knew they would get this big?
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 21:58

Morn76 wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Funny, because I really hate Saturn. Of course, Microsoft is pretty evil as well, so they probably favor that planet as well. There is a reason why it is called The Great Malefic, you know. Look it up on the internet.

EA also has plenty of Saturn symbolism in their current logo with the black disk and ring. *Sigh*, I remember the 80s when EOA were the good guys and stood for quality games. Who knew they would get this big?

EA is another one of those evil companies. Just look at The Sims 4; it has the same graphics as The Sims 3. It is more like an expansion pack than a separate game. If they had bought Mojang, they would probably do similar to what Microsoft will do (again, remember what happened to Rare.)
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

Morn76
Member
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 19:45

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Morn76 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:13

Inocudom wrote:EA is another one of those evil companies. Just look at The Sims 4; it has the same graphics as The Sims 3. It is more like an expansion pack than a separate game. If they had bought Mojang, they would probably do similar to what Microsoft will do (again, remember what happened to Rare.)

Then again MC has been getting more and more satanic on its own over the years: zombies, magic potions, enchanting, the Nether (=Hell), etc. The black Ender Dragon seems kind of Saturnian to me as well. I remember an old thread on this board where someone said this drove her from MC to MT because e.g. brewing is not in the default MT game. Especially in the US some people are very aware of this kind of stuff in the media and video games.

Perhaps you should make a new (offtopic) thread for this kind of discussion, Inocudom.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 00:01

Morn76 wrote:
Inocudom wrote:EA is another one of those evil companies. Just look at The Sims 4; it has the same graphics as The Sims 3. It is more like an expansion pack than a separate game. If they had bought Mojang, they would probably do similar to what Microsoft will do (again, remember what happened to Rare.)

Then again MC has been getting more and more satanic on its own over the years: zombies, magic potions, enchanting, the Nether (=Hell), etc. The black Ender Dragon seems kind of Saturnian to me as well. I remember an old thread on this board where someone said this drove her from MC to MT because e.g. brewing is not in the default MT game. Especially in the US some people are very aware of this kind of stuff in the media and video games.

Perhaps you should make a new (offtopic) thread for this kind of discussion, Inocudom.

It's tempting, but that could prove hazardous. I certainly could not do so in the forums of PureZC. I made a topic in these forums about the increasing disasters on this planet once, but people just ignored it. All I can tell you is to look at my current signature. I still watch those videos, you know.

What you said about Minecraft pretty much predestined Mojang to be owned by Microsoft. That is a fact. These sorts of things do not happen by chance.

To everyone that reads this topic, you must understand that the more you use open-source software, the safer you and your kids will be. Though symbolism can (and does) appear in open-source software too, it is not as frequent/not as powerful. Plus, closed-source programs can have a good number of ways that you can be monitored without even knowing about it.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

Morn76
Member
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 19:45

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Morn76 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14

Inocudom wrote:It's tempting, but that could prove hazardous. I certainly could not do so in the forums of PureZC. I made a topic in these forums about the increasing disasters on this planet once, but people just ignored it. All I can tell you is to look at my current signature. I still watch those videos, you know.

Well, offtopic is only visible to logged-in users, so the audience is more limited. But I don't see the problem otherwise. Nobody in their right mind would dispute that the media and video games are saturated with satanic imagery and symbolism. Sites about this topic such as Vigilant Citizen are pretty mainstream and mostly accepted now I think.

Inocudom wrote:What you said about Minecraft pretty much predestined Mojang to be owned by Microsoft. That is a fact. These sorts of things do not happen by chance.

True. Notch's penchant for black fedoras should have tipped us off:
Image
Image

Inocudom wrote:To everyone that reads this topic, you must understand that the more you use open-source software, the safer you and your kids will be. Though symbolism can (and does) appear in open-source software too, it is not as frequent/not as powerful. Plus, closed-source programs can have a good number of ways that you can be monitored without even knowing about it.

I suppose a proper Christian should not touch computers, computer games, the WWW, currency, horoscopes, lotteries, the Olympics, the MTV Music Awards and all that nonsense in the first place. It's all the same thing.
 

twoelk
Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 16:19
Location: northern Germany
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by twoelk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14

Morn76 wrote:...
I suppose a proper Christian should not touch computers, computer games, the WWW, currency, horoscopes, lotteries, the Olympics, the MTV Music Awards and all that nonsense in the first place. It's all the same thing.
..


hehe, I guess a lot of religious fanatics of most believes out there will agree with you on most of that. Actually any fundamentalistic model of a correct way of living, be it religious or not, might be in that same boat.

Ha, so back to the neolithic roots; live in small rural communities surrounded by a broad girdle of undeveloped nature, plough your own field, eat only what you sow and throw stones at any uninvited strangers.

erm - wait, that is what I often do on Minetest servers - oh dear I'm living some fundamentalistic dreams in virtuall reality. Should I consult a shrink?
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by hoodedice » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49

I would love it if you could keep your stuff limited to a single topic under offtopics. This sort of content of content on a "serious" topic might deter new minetest players =/
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Inocudom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 14:20

hoodedice wrote:I would love it if you could keep your stuff limited to a single topic under offtopics. This sort of content of content on a "serious" topic might deter new minetest players =/

Yes, it probably will.

Well, from what I have seen, three new people have turned away from Minecraft and to Minetest. Let us welcome them and not make the same mistakes that Minecraft did. Sadly, however, none of the folks from PureZC have come here as of yet.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

Ivy
New member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 23:26

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by Ivy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 23:31

hoodedice wrote:I would love it if you could keep your stuff limited to a single topic under offtopics. This sort of content of content on a "serious" topic might deter new minetest players =/

Thanks man, I was getting a bit spooked there.
 

User avatar
paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 3476
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by paramat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 01:08

We probably don't have to worry, but it would be wise to not develop core Minetest and Minetest game to be more like Minecraft, leave that to non-default games and mods. Of course we don't need another reason to do so but this is another good reason.
 

User avatar
ExeterDad
Member
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 20:00
Location: New Hampshire U.S.A
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by ExeterDad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 01:44

paramat wrote:We probably don't have to worry, but it would be wise to not develop core Minetest and Minetest game to be more like Minecraft, leave that to non-default games and mods. Of course we don't need another reason to do so but this is another good reason.

Agreed
 

User avatar
MirceaKitsune
Member
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 22:31
Location: Romania, Bucharest
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by MirceaKitsune » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:16

paramat wrote:We probably don't have to worry, but it would be wise to not develop core Minetest and Minetest game to be more like Minecraft, leave that to non-default games and mods. Of course we don't need another reason to do so but this is another good reason.


Agreed too.
 

User avatar
SAMIAMNOT
Member
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:51
Location: Desert
In-game: notanewbie

Re: Are we prepared for potential Microsoft harassment?

by SAMIAMNOT » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:28

Point 1: I doubt Minetest will ever have as large of a fanbase as Minecraft until Microsoft destroys it, and by then MS wouldnt care so no we wont get sued.
Point 2: Why is EA evil? Dont they make popular games (Madden, Battlefield)? & I personally love NCAA Football 12. Tho youre right Nintendo sucks.
Point 3: Im a Christian and furthermore I am GOING to find a clip of Lecrae on the Tonight show.
I test mines.
 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests