What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

jojoa1997

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by jojoa1997 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 22:43

Azvael wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:Really I think Minetest is a great name. Yeah people might get the wrong impression but it seems like people read too much into title names.

This.

Given that this project is open-source, being developed for free by a bunch of people who are doing this in their free time, they can call it whatever they want. They can call it "Happy Fun Dig Time", and I'd still play it.

No they cant because all the mods that were made would be ruined. I cant imagine how many mintest.somethings I would have to rewrite.
Rain wrote:
Azvael wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:They can call it "Happy Fun Dig Time", and I'd still play it.

I really like that name!

Also I didn't write that name Azvael did ;)
SAMIAMNOT wrote:
Rain wrote:
SAMIAMNOT wrote:The inventory menu is very laggy.

Yes. And this is annoying as hell!

+308
How can I request this for the next version of Minetest?

It will come eventually. Really it is whenever the devs change the version but you can always use the builds that others make if you use windows or build it yourself on linux.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

SAMIAMNOT

In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Fri Sep 19, 2014 01:32

Wait, other people forked a version with a usable invwntory???
*jumping up and down*
I test mines.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 07:22

Jojoa1997, they wouldn't just delete the Minetest namespace in Lua. That would be stupid.

Also, they have renamed Minetest.* to core.* recently, with Minetest being a copy of core. Although they haven't declared this officially. I think that is what they have done. Correct me if I am wrong.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:21

rubenwardy wrote:Jojoa1997, they wouldn't just delete the Minetest namespace in Lua. That would be stupid.

Also, they have renamed Minetest.* to core.* recently, with Minetest being a copy of core. Although they haven't declared this officially. I think that is what they have done. Correct me if I am wrong.

actually they only renamed stuff that would be used in builtin. I saw and not everything was renamed so I think it is only the core of the core that had minetest.* renamed to core.*. Those are just what I saw though. Also the name change idea has already been discussed before. I think a better name than Minetest could not be found.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rubenwardy

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08

Here we are: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... it.lua#L12

You can see clearly that minetest is a copy of core.

RealBadAngel wrote:All core functions are now core. It's the internal namespace, not name of the engine

My point is that it is perfectly possible to change the name of minetest.* and leave minetest as an alias for compatibility. They have already done it, although they still want people to use minetest.* in their mods.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11

SAMIAMNOT wrote:Wait, other people forked a version with a usable invwntory???
*jumping up and down*

No, jojoa just said that if you just suggest it, it might get thrown in later. Also, it would be extremely difficult to remove the lag from the inventory.
Back from the dead!

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:25

Evergreen wrote:No, jojoa just said that if you just suggest it, it might get thrown in later. Also, it would be extremely difficult to remove the lag from the inventory.

The same way yaw interpolation client-side (for players and mobs) was so difficult to do that everyone who tried to failed? Because I'm sorry, but I don't see how something this simple is so difficult.

But yes. Laggy meta inventory (eg: chests) is in my opinion THE worst issue Minetest currently has. Followed by bad player / mob networking, which leads to ugly entity movement.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 15:16

MirceaKitsune wrote:
Evergreen wrote:No, jojoa just said that if you just suggest it, it might get thrown in later. Also, it would be extremely difficult to remove the lag from the inventory.

The same way yaw interpolation client-side (for players and mobs) was so difficult to do that everyone who tried to failed? Because I'm sorry, but I don't see how something this simple is so difficult.

But yes. Laggy meta inventory (eg: chests) is in my opinion THE worst issue Minetest currently has. Followed by bad player / mob networking, which leads to ugly entity movement.

I do agree, it is a major issue that needs to be fixed, along side other networking issues. (entities)
Back from the dead!

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:45

SAMIAMNOT wrote:
Rain wrote:
SAMIAMNOT wrote:The inventory menu is very laggy.

Yes. And this is annoying as hell!

+308
How can I request this for the next version of Minetest?

Suggest it to one of the Devs and give a convincing argument for it... I think
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Sep 19, 2014 19:11

Achilles wrote:Suggest it to one of the Devs and give a convincing argument for it... I think

In general that's the right approach. I'm not sure if it will help much in this case. Inventory changes have to be confirmed by the server in order to avoid cheating. There are however chests that can be a bit faster. Just compare the normal, unlocked chest with the locked one in minetest_game. The "feature" that hides the content of chests from non-owners feels very laggy as in that case the formspec menu has to be sent by the server instead of beeing done by the client.

Perhaps my new chesttools mod might also be of help in this case. It has some buttons that may speed things up a bit.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Sat Sep 20, 2014 09:59

Sokomine wrote:
Achilles wrote:Suggest it to one of the Devs and give a convincing argument for it... I think

In general that's the right approach. I'm not sure if it will help much in this case. Inventory changes have to be confirmed by the server in order to avoid cheating. There are however chests that can be a bit faster. Just compare the normal, unlocked chest with the locked one in minetest_game. The "feature" that hides the content of chests from non-owners feels very laggy as in that case the formspec menu has to be sent by the server instead of beeing done by the client.

Perhaps my new chesttools mod might also be of help in this case. It has some buttons that may speed things up a bit.

Hmmm, I don't have a very fast laptop... So I will try this out, Thanks
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Sat Sep 20, 2014 14:04

Achilles wrote:Inventory changes have to be confirmed by the server in order to avoid cheating.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the display of the change needs to wait on confirmation.

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Sat Sep 20, 2014 15:15

greydmiyu wrote:
Achilles wrote:Inventory changes have to be confirmed by the server in order to avoid cheating.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the display of the change needs to wait on confirmation.

This. My suggestion was to have the client instantly draw the changes as you move an inventory item, then update once the server sends its response (currently only this happens). This would however mean that moving an item to a forbidden slot would seem successful for a second until the server confirms that movement didn't happen... so the formspec rendering system would need to know which slots are allowed client-side too. Something like this shouldn't be too hard though.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 17:57

Weeeeell...I did find complete documentation of entity names for default and built in mods for Minetest on the wiki. We can use the itemstrings for the /giveme feature, which is much faster than hunting for stuff, even with no lag.
In minimal I gave myself 5000 cobble with it ;) But I gave up because can't find doors in minimal.
BTW is there documentation on Minimal entities?
I test mines.

rubenwardy

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Sep 20, 2014 22:21

To expand on rubenwardy's response, "Minimal" game is meant as the minimal set of mods to get a somewhat working game for testing purposes. It's meant for development (both core devs, and modders which want fast startup for testing mods); It's not in any way meant to be "played".
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 23:34

Ooooh. So THATs why there are no doors and I can stack 5000 cobble.
I test mines.

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 03:51

/giveme command is builtin. So, it works on any game.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:24

Wuzzy wrote:Minetest is missing 2,500,000,000 bucks! xD

viewtopic.php?p=153789#p153789

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

hoodedice

GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Sun Sep 21, 2014 23:25

Jordach wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Minetest is missing 2,500,000,000 bucks! xD

viewtopic.php?p=153789#p153789

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wuzzy using Internet Explorer confirmed!

#rekt
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

fessmK

by fessmK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 01:10

Minetest is really missing Dimensional Support. However, the few mods that do add dimensions do so is a simple way. Better underground dimensions would be made by making a layer of air above the terrain, and above ground dimensions can be made that would not need this. (don't forget portals) Also, Minetest is missing a sense of adventure. Adding things like a better entity identifier would be nice, as well as an automatic node identifier(shows info on what node/entity is selected) Also, an in-game crafting guide(hover mouse over item and hit "r" for recipe in inventory) would be incredible. Finally, minigame support would be incredible. Mods should be able to override block physics and player physics (falling, invisibility, whether can break blocks or not, etc) easily.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 06:48

Player physics can be overwritten. Some mini games are possible - somebody made Tetris in a form spec once. (A form spec is a method of making a dialog window)

There is currently a pull open (by me) which adds this info thing on nodes - it says what their name is, like default:sand. I would also like to add the name of the current texture you are pointing to. Entity info is a little harder as it seems that clients are not told what individual entities are.

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 14:00

rubenwardy wrote:There is currently a pull open (by me) which adds this info thing on nodes - it says what their name is, like default:sand.

As in WAILA?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion