IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Server] Minetest Nostalgia server [5.1.0-dev]

by VanessaE » Post

VanessaE's Nostalgia Server

daconcepts.com, port 30002
IRC: Libera netrwork, channel #ve-minetest-servers

Server Status:

For detailed statistics regarding the performance of the server hardware, see http://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/m ... stats.html

About:

Hi folks, this is the New Minetest Nostalgia server. It is super fast, and is themed on Minetest from the 0.2.x and 0.3.x days, with a few additions here and there to make it a bit more interesting.

There are mobs, namely Dungeon Master, Oerkki and Rat.

Software Version

This server runs Minetest from the official Github repository, and requires version 5.0.1 or newer.

This server has an extra mod which disallows entirely-numeric and "Foobar123456" types of names. Please choose a proper username when you sign on.

Building on this server:

You can build anything you want, anywhere you want, with the following guidelines: Near the spawn, please stick to serious, high-class structures only please. Pixel art and generally-artsy stuff should be kept away from the spawn.

If someone else has built in an area you wanted to use, do not build into or immediately above those structures, period! Even if the building looks vacant, don't touch it - there are no "abandoned" buildings here. Griefing any part of any structure is strictly forbidden.

Please keep your structures near a main road, but do not build right on the end of the road (e.g. if extending the road would go through your structure); if this isn't practical, or there is no road yet, please build one, or build a spur off an existing road somewhere and then build alongside that. Try to keep your roads straight and try make them run out past your structure so others can build further. Sky structures are welcome, but please build them up high enough so as not to obscure or cast shadows on anything below.

And please - REPLANT YOUR TREES! (Preferably with the same type as that which you cut down).

Land ownership:

See the forum topic for ShadowNinja's Advanced Area Protection Mod for instructions. The short version: to mark the area you want to claim, dig a few meters down in one corner of the area, and do /area_pos1. Then go to the opposite corner, fly up above the area, and do /area_pos2. Then do /protect <some description here> to actually claim the area.

If the area is too big, request areas_high_limit privilege from one of the admins, or just have them protect the area for you.

Language

This server is primarily English-speaking.

Of course there are limited exceptions, for players who just can't speak English at all.

Freedom of speech is paramount here, but I do have some rules about it: 1. Don't harass anyone. 2. Hate speech, harrassment, etc. are absolutely not tolerated. 3. Leave your religion in your house of worship - this applies equally to in-game names as to your speech. 4. This server is not the ghetto, so take the rap-video trash-talk somewhere else.

Mods:
  • The mt_nostalgia game
  • IRC
  • Server admin tools such as maptools, areas mod, worldedit, etc.
The Minetest Nostalgia Game was originally maintained by Dan Duncombe.

Interactive Map of the Server (click image to open viewer):

This overview is located at: http://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/m ... d/map.html

Generated using est31's Leaf map generator and Rogier-5's fork of minetest's mapper.

Screenshot:
Near the spawn, as of 2014-01-20
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Feb 01, 2014 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In order to clear out tons of old cruft out of my servers, I needed to clear out player inventories and accounts. In so doing, lots of legit players got caught up in the mess. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please, sign in once and either leave me a forum PM or a message on IRC, or send me a regular old fashioned Email, or just mention it here, and I'll restore your interact.

Inventories can be restored as well, if necessary.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: I've adjusted the backup schedule of this server to occur at 10:00 am UTC (5:00 am EST) to better coincide with the quietest times my servers tend to experience. Also, for anyone interested, I've posted a publicly-accessible server stats page, here (updated once a minute):

http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa ... stats.html

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The screenshot of the spawn area has been updated.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

As these servers have picked up, I've found myself having to adjust my backup schedule to avoid knocking too many people off for the backup to occur. I've pushed the time back a few hours so that the backup cycle will now occur at 1:00 pm UTC (8:00 am EST).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: backup schedule adjusted again to try to better coincide with the server's quietest times. It will now occur at 10:00 am UTC (5:00 am EST).

Azuna

by Azuna » Post

My name on the server is plum. May I have interact VanessaE?

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

Re: [Server] Minetest Nostalgia! VanessaE's super-fast serve

by Esteban » Post

Thanks for this wonderful server! I love the style the game had back then.

May I ask, could you add something like the home mod? I live far away from spawn and I do not want to walk all the way back if I die.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's possible. Anyone feel like coding such a thing for this game? I'm not one for modding Nostalgia game, so I don't actually know how how it would work. ;-)

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

Last edited by Esteban on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Interact please? :B

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Interact granted.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Notice to all users of my servers: I have changed the morning restart time to 1:30 am to better coincide with the slowest period my servers seem to experience lately. This change affects all of my servers.

VanessaE

Re: [Server] Minetest Nostalgia server [git]

by VanessaE » Post

The reboot time for this server has been shifted to 6:00 AM US Eastern Daylight time (11:00 AM CET).

VanessaE

Re: [Server] Minetest Nostalgia server [0.4.16]

by VanessaE » Post

Spoiler
WARNING:

Someone is redirecting traffic from IP address 104.250.138.199 to my servers on daconcepts.com.

I don't know how, or why (it may be an attempt by someone to frame me for bot activity), but if you see that IP address in your logs, IT IS NOT FROM daconcepts.com! Unless you all hear directly from me here or on IRC, my server's IP address is 188.165.239.81, and NOTHING else (to my knowledge).

If you suspect malicious activity from any IP, I highly advise you look up what host actually owns the IP address, ignore any domain name that seems (or is claimed) to be associated with the IP, and contact that host's abuse department. In this instance, that would be https://www.gorillaservers.com/contact.php as they are the owners of the malicious IP address. I would appreciate it if you do not mention me or daconcepts.com, since doing so may confuse the issue, and clearly neither I nor my servers are associated with any malicious activity of any kind.

I have already discussed the issue with my host and have raised an abuse complaint with the offending host.

I have not, to my recollection, authorized any redirects, proxies, alternate DNS services, other domain names, or any other unusual resources to point at my server, except as may pertain to individual minetest instances or services that I host for a few trusted individuals.