GitHub: Zatherz
IRC: zatherz
In-game: Zatherz

Re: Minetest IDE - Develop mods and games in an efficient wa

by Zatherz » Post

Update #1 on the upcoming Minetest IDE.

Changes:
[*] Remove update thread
[*] Running on single thread again (see above)

Notes:
[*] Update thread was removed because it was useless, QFileSystemWatcher already runs in background.
[*] I will now post regular updates in the form of this post to give you the information about the development of the upcoming version of MIDE.

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Since you are planning to rewrite the project, have you considered Lazarus ?

It can compille (true binary) the exact same code (write once, compile everywhere) for linux, windows, mac, amiga, gameboy advanced, netware, AVR, OS/2 etc. With some changes to the code it can compile for JVM and Android. Its a kind of Delphi on steroids.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Pascal is a horrible language.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Pascal is a horrible language.
:-(
Pascal was my first "interface" to doing something "usefull" on a computer.
Together with a friend wrote a Ladybug/Pacman clone
writeln writeln writeln
learned a lot
was playable but never really worked though
never touched Pascal again
might still have the code on some meters of needle printed endless paper somewhere

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

aldobr wrote:Since you are planning to rewrite the project, have you considered Lazarus ?

It can compille (true binary) the exact same code (write once, compile everywhere) for linux, windows, mac, amiga, gameboy advanced, netware, AVR, OS/2 etc. With some changes to the code it can compile for JVM and Android. Its a kind of Delphi on steroids.

Oh God... the memories...
Pascal was my first actual text programming language. Before that I wrote Batch scripts (used Windows at the time). I started learning Pascal after searching for easy programming languages. The ONLY reason I started learning a programming language was to...
Implement proper Batch text coloring!
If Batch would not suck so much with the fact that you could not color specific text, I don't think I'd program today. I learned little from an old online tutorial and already tried to make a program that could print colored text. Guess how it accepted the input?
From a text file!
I didn't even know about such things as commandline parameters. I had a simple text file with a color code in every line and when the program was executed you could print colored text in Batch. I was about 7/8 years old back then. Those memories, ahh... searching for things in the internet, implementing hacky ways just to print colored text in Batch text games. Never really did anything in Pascal again, as some time later I had my shock when I found out Java is not a magic platform that every computer needs just because but it's a programming language and I was also playing with Scratch. Pascal brings me only good memories, but if I had to write anything in it again, I'd rather make applications for iOS. How excited I was when my program worked. I kept telling about how it works to my mom, knowing she would not understand anyways. It was my first actual program, first computer creation. I now know how a small thing can completely change your life. How could I know when I was 7 years old that my hobby would be programming? That's a little story of my own unrelated to the topic here, which your post made me write. Thanks for making me recall how I started my computer adventure.

Zatherz

by Zatherz » Post

I would like to inform you that the project is not dead, even if it looks like it is. MIDE is still in development. Please stand by.

Edit: Also, MIDE is not going to just be an IDE. There's more...

gamergardencat

by gamergardencat » Post

Zatherz wrote:
aldobr wrote:Since you are planning to rewrite the project, have you considered Lazarus ?

Oh God... the memories...
Pascal was my first actual text programming language. Before that I wrote Batch scripts (used Windows at the time). I started learning Pascal after searching for easy programming languages. The ONLY reason I started learning a programming language was to...
Implement proper Batch text coloring!
If Batch would not suck so much with the fact that you could not color specific text, I don't think I'd program today. I learned little from an old online tutorial and already tried to make a program that could print colored text. Guess how it accepted the input?
From a text file!
I didn't even know about such things as commandline parameters. I had a simple text file with a color code in every line and when the program was executed you could print colored text in Batch. I was about 7/8 years old back then. Those memories, ahh... searching for things in the internet, implementing hacky ways just to print colored text in Batch text games. Never really did anything in Pascal again, as some time later I had my shock when I found out Java is not a magic platform that every computer needs just because but it's a programming language and I was also playing with Scratch. Pascal brings me only good memories, but if I had to write anything in it again, I'd rather make applications for iOS. How excited I was when my program worked. I kept telling about how it works to my mom, knowing she would not understand anyways. It was my first actual program, first computer creation. I now know how a small thing can completely change your life. How could I know when I was 7 years old that my hobby would be programming? That's a little story of my own unrelated to the topic here, which your post made me write. Thanks for making me recall how I started my computer adventure.
I first exposure was with visual basic I was about that same age. Couldn't fugure out how to make VB do it so I tried something else I think it might have been python or c at the time. Learing html I learned that I really didn't need to do that since we already had a gui and browsers but the programming books were interesting to read. I think that's when yahoo directory had stuff up on python. I don't thin yahoo directory is around anymore.
superman slices a giant apple into 3 and hands it to guest220

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Pascal is an horrible language for those who can only know the negative propaganda from C field (i can program in both languages). Modern Pascal is as different from 1980 era Pascal as modern C is different from its 1980 era..

Other day i said that i writed code in pascal and someone asked : "How can you program in something that is not object oriented ?"

Well, pascal is object oriented since 1980...

Lazarus can develop applications for the same targets that Java do, while providing a much nicer and lean interface toolkit. You can create RAD style applications for Linux, Windows, Android, OS/2, toaster, java (Yes, it can compile from Pascal to Java...), etc...

BTW, you dont need to stop using Pascal to write applications for iOS, it can compile for iOS too (and freebsd and other targets that i dont remmember).

The major advantage is similar to Java, same code runs on any platform. But, with a twist. While java compiles for a virtual machine that must be installed into each computer (and is slow), Lazarus/FreePascal compiles the same source code into executables for each platform. The only thing similar to this that Java has to offer is GCJ, wich can compile binaries for each platform.

Well, in both cases, Java/GCJ and FreePascal are forgotten jewels, people usually dont know about them.

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

I am prepared to dispell that idea if you want. Tell me, whats wrong about Pascal ?

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

the only thing more likely to cause a flame war than discussing politics or religion, is discussing programming languages. :)

Pascal was one of my absolute favorite programming languages. I miss it.
I can't stand C. Any languages that doesn't even have type and bounds checking on variables is only a half step above assembler in my humble opinion. :D

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Why dont you try FreePascal/Lazarus ?

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

aldobr wrote:Why dont you try FreePascal/Lazarus ?
I should, it's just that when I have free time for programming, coding practice in Java is more useful for my current job.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Here is an Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit) build.

Built unmodified. Source code: https://github.com/Zatherz/minetestide

T0t4r4
GitHub: t0t4r4
IRC: t0t4r4
In-game: t0t4r4

by T0t4r4 » Post

Calinou wrote:Here is an Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit) build.

Built unmodified. Source code: https://github.com/Zatherz/minetestide

Hey mate why not using git properly by tagging the existing (obsolete) source in master, start a develop branch with your new MIDE.

Get Sourcetree and quickly learn gitflow. That'll give you a nice knowledge boost at your dev practices.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

I'm pretty sure Calinou is very familiar with the git workflow ;)

There's no fork. No obsoletion (on Calinou's part). It's simply a pre-built binary.

Or did you mean to direct your post towards Zatherz?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Hey, if someone uses Lazarus, then the Typhon IDE is smth to have a look at (pilotlogic.com).

wintermute
IRC: freeemint_
In-game: aulin

by wintermute » Post

Dear Zatherz,

i released a Minetest IDE today. You may want evaluate mine, before you spend more time writing on your own. I used the rock solid, a fast ZeroBrane Studio and added auto-completion and a few keywords for Minetest. ZeroBrane Studio is a Lua IDE which supports mostly game engines and has debugging features, it is cross-platform and essentially a great piece of open software. I would love to hear your opinion my little side project which extends Zerobrane.

wintermute