[Modpack] [farming_plusplus][1.04] farming_plus fork

MTDad

[Modpack] [farming_plusplus][1.04] farming_plus fork

by MTDad » Post

I like to farm, real life and in game.
farming_plus by PilzAdam, docfarming by Doc, and farming redo by Tenplus1 are all great mods I've had a lot of fun playing, but they all had things that bothered me. I decided to see if I could manage to put what I liked most from each into one mod for my own use and throw in some of my own ideas while I was at it. To my surprise it worked and I had as much fun learning how to put it together as I do using it. All real credit goes to PilzAdam , its his code at the heart that makes it work.

Source Code:
farming_plus by PilzAdam on github
Farming Redo by Tenplus on this forum
Doc Farming by Doc on this forum

What's New?
-Corn and cucumber courtesy of docfarming.
-Melons and coffee courtesy of farming redo.
-Root Starters - raspberries, strawberries and rhubarb grow from starts, not seeds. When harvested they grow back, and have the chance to send out volunteer starts (thanks to docfarming). The full grown don't spread though, so no worries of untended fields over running the map. There is a random chance at multiple starts if you harvest the plant just before it reaches full growth.
-Dwarf Fruit Trees - Oranges were moved to a small tree. I liked it so much I made three more, Peach, Lemon and Walnut. Why Lemon and Walnut? Lemon cupcakes and Walnut coffee cake in the sweet food mod.
-Only carrots still drop seed when harvested. (wheat and cotton as well, but they are not part of this mod). All others excluding the root crops you need to "craft" the seed from the fruit, or plant the fruit in the case of walnut and coffee. If you have MTfoods installed you will need to plant whole potatoes.
-Some of the original plants were retextured.

I made this to replace the other farming mods on my existing worlds, and have most things covered with "aliases". If you run this without the old mods active you should have very few "unknown objects". There will be no going back though, unless you put in "alias" lines to go the other way. Better to try it out on a test world first.

All plants now spawn full grown at Mapgen, the penalty for this however is that original farming_plus orange plants should be harvested before switching to farming_plusplus, as they will turn into lifeless stumps if full grown at conversion. There is an ABM towards the end of oranges.lua that can put tops on those stumps, it just needs to be "un-commented out". I decided to comment it out for distribution as it is only conditionally and temporarily needed.

This mod is now a modpack. The additional mod "farming_food" provides integration/support for Better HUD, Diet, Food and Sweet Foods, as well as 3 extra recipes (if you have food 2.3 installed). Now there is no need to manually add anything to these mods to get them to recognize the new foods. (that is the current version of those mods as of 10/01/14)

Recipes:
Coffee Mug :
clay lump, clay lump, clay lump
clay lump, clay lump

Cold Mug of Coffee: Coffee Mug, Coffee Beans, Bucket of Water (bucket is returned, only make one at a time)

Hot Mug of Coffee: Cook it in the furnace to get a steaming, place-able node hot coffee. (plus in game drinkable).

Corn on the Cob: Cook corn in the furnace.

-- The following only work if food mod is enabled.
Peach Cobbler : Peach, Flour, Sugar, Egg in any order, then cook.

Corn Bread: Corn, Corn, Milk, Egg in any order, then cook.

Strawberry Lemonade: Strawberry, Lemon, Drinking glass in any order.

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
nothing, dark chocolate, butter
flour, sugar, egg

Fritters: Filling = corn, walnut or apple.
nothing, egg, nothing
flour, filling, flour
nothing, sugar, nothing

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:
sugar, flour, sugar
strawberry, rhubarb, strawberry

In any case I did this for myself, and I'm happy with it, so decided to share it, maybe somebody else would like it too. Have fun.

Dependencies: Default, Farming
Recommended: BetterHUD, Food 2.3, Sweet Foods, Diet, MTFoods

License: WTFPL

Minetest Version 0.4.10 , untested on older versions, but may work back to 0.4.8

Version: 1.04
Download: https://github.com/MTDad/farming_pluspl ... master.zip
Just unpack, rename to "farming_plusplus", place it in your mods folder, and enable the modpack.

Thanks again to PilzAdam, Doc and Tenplus1 for their great work.

Nothing Beats a Steaming Hot Coffee Before a Hard Day's Work on the Farm

Last edited by MTDad on Sat Nov 08, 2014 04:36, edited 9 times in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Mod] Farming ++[farming_plus] fork

by Inocudom » Post

I really hope VanessaE takes notice of this mod, because this deserves to be in her Dreambuilder sub-game.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Looks really good. I'll give it a try.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Great fork / work !

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Post

Nice ;-)

Thanks for all your works

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

Thanks for the positive feedback!
I caught a compatibility problem with mtfoods. Potato slices overwrite seedcraft. Duh! So added plant-ability to whole potatoes as well and increased their yield slightly to compensate.

Inocudom

Re: [Modpack] [farming_plusplus] farming_plus fork

by Inocudom » Post

Would you be able to provide a link to the source code of this mod too? Some people might be appreciative of that.

It appears that you are missing farming_redo's coffee. Are you planning to correct the missing alias there?

MTDad

Re: [Modpack] [farming_plusplus][1.02] farming_plus fork

by MTDad » Post

Source code links inserted, plus some other links, plus the recipes I forgot to add yesterday.

You aren't the first person to bring up the missing coffee, my kids started pestering me right away. Not really sure why I left it out in the first place, just seemed like I already had too much. I started work on it a few days ago, but got sidetracked by my hud, diet, foods, etc, integration project. Guess its time to get back to it.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Awesome! This is what I was hoping would happen - it is a nice selection.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

Thanks Ruben, it was looking at how you managed the mtfoods depends loop fix, and how you managed to register food with hud that inspired my latest changes, obviously. I even went through and added "food_" groups to everything, even if there is no "group", like now someone could use "group:food_pumpkin" in their recipe, for example.

balthazariv

Re: [Modpack] [farming_plusplus][1.03] farming_plus fork

by balthazariv » Post

Hello,

This is a great idea to combine farming "mods" together in one.
Are you going to upgrade your mod with Farming_redo because some items don't appear in your mod. (Bottle of Ethanol, Golden carrot, Bar of dark chocolate, ...) ?

For Tomato, i prefer TenPlus1 texture.
And for coffee cup, yours of course ;-)
Perhaps it would be better if you work together.
You should ask to move your post in the section release.

I have report an error with your mod and fertiliser mod

Thanks for your works

mike_dzl

by mike_dzl » Post

I tried to run this mod on a map that already had farming_plus installed, removed farming_plus, added this one, and all the farming_plus plants turned to "unknown nodes". is there any way to repair that? Or is this best used on a new map?

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

mike_dzl wrote:I tried to run this mod on a map that already had farming_plus installed, removed farming_plus, added this one, and all the farming_plus plants turned to "unknown nodes". is there any way to repair that? Or is this best used on a new map?
That really shouldn't happen. All I can guess is you were using a very different version of farming_plus from the current. Could you link me to the version you were running so I can investigate? In the interim, if the nodes were unknown, reinstalling your prior version of farming_plus should restore them.

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

balthazariv wrote:Hello,

This is a great idea to combine farming "mods" together in one.
Are you going to upgrade your mod with Farming_redo because some items don't appear in your mod. (Bottle of Ethanol, Golden carrot, Bar of dark chocolate, ...) ?

For Tomato, i prefer TenPlus1 texture.
And for coffee cup, yours of course ;-)
Perhaps it would be better if you work together.
You should ask to move your post in the section release.

I have report an error with your mod and fertiliser mod

Thanks for your works
It was never really my intention to have everything of Farming Redo in this mod, but to make it fairly cross compatible all the same, so I am sorry about those things it lacks. I may add them in the future. As to working with Tenplus, I'm not against the idea, but I think we have slightly different visions for our farming mods, and that's fine, variety is good. He's of course free to use anything I create in Farming Redo, but its already a great mod in its own right.

I've thought about having this mod moved, but am uncertain if it is worthy of "release". Are many people using it and liking it? I have no way of knowing, but mike_dzl's problem gives me pause. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong there.

I'll look into the fertilizer mod.

In any case thanks for the feedback balthazariv, its appreciated.

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

mike_dzl wrote:I tried to run this mod on a map that already had farming_plus installed, removed farming_plus, added this one, and all the farming_plus plants turned to "unknown nodes". is there any way to repair that? Or is this best used on a new map?
MTDad wrote: but mike_dzl's problem gives me pause. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong there.
This is probably due a change in the mod name, for example "old_mod_name:item" to "new_mod_name:item" are registered as different items.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_alias("old_mod_name:item","new_mod_name:item")
will probably help fix the unknown nodes problem on older maps!
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I've tried out your modpack but I'm getting a couple errors. Several of the recipes show that they are made of unknown items this one for example:

12:01:48: ACTION[ServerThread]: [CraftGuide] singleplayer requests recipe 1 for farming_food:peach_cobbler_raw
12:01:48: ACTION[ServerThread]: [CraftGuide] {
	type = "shapeless",
	output = "farming_food:peach_cobbler_raw 3",
	recipe = {
		"group:food_flour",
		"group:food_sugar",
		"group:food_egg",
		"group:food_peach"
	}
I've checked and I have all the dependencies and recommended, with the exception of diet I have everything. Looking through the log I can't find anything that looks like it would be the problem.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

Nathan, how up to date is your version of food? That is where all but the peach food groups are created.

edit. I just looked at the history on food, and it looks like the food group modules are a recent addition, hopefully that's it and I'll add the version requirement above.

editagain. Scratch that, just tried my mod on Adventuretest, which uses food 2.2 and zeg9's craft guide and everything worked flawlessly. Further thought required here.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

All my mods should be up to date as of 4 am this morning. I have a script that updates all my mods from GIT every day at 4 am.

I first noticed this on my main world, where I have tons of mods, and thought maybe there was some conflict there, but I created a new world with just the food mods and still no go. I did notice a problem with your foodplus and the original food plus, so I had to remove the original. Minetest wouldn't load yours because the first one overwrote it. I seemed to have the problem both was those, with either yours or the original enabled.

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

do you mean farming_plus instead of food plus? I don't have a food plus, and yes you can't run both the original farming_plus and my farming_plus side by side.

I think I have the recipe issue figured out. I'm going to guess you're using the original craft-guide from cornernote, if you check that thread it displays unknown for any recipe that uses the group as an ingredient. That was apparently the reason Zeg created his version.
Zeg9's craft guide:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5564

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Yes, I didn't mean farming_plus. This is the error code I get when I try to run both. Maybe it is just a warning and doesn't matter?

15:36:26: ACTION[main]: WARNING: Mod name conflict detected: "farming_plus"
15:36:26: ACTION[main]: Will not load: /home/nathan/.minetest/mods/farming_plusplus/farming_plus
15:36:26: ACTION[main]: Overridden by: /home/nathan/.minetest/mods/farming_plus
MTDad you sir are a genius. I was using the original craft guide, which I prefer over the other methods, it feels a little more realistic to have to create a guide. ANYWAYS I the other guide, and took a quick look, and everything is working!!!

MTDad

by MTDad » Post

Far from genius, but thanks. With that error code my version of farming_plus doesn't load, but the farming_food does. That wouldn't be good. In any case glad to help.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

MTDad wrote:Far from genius, but thanks. With that error code my version of farming_plus doesn't load, but the farming_food does. That wouldn't be good. In any case glad to help.
I've combated the conflict by renaming the original mod name, as just disabling didn't seem to stop the conflict, which doesn't make any sense to me.....

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I am pretty certain that farming_plus won't be getting any new plants anytime soon, yet most people would rather stick to it than use farming++. I don't really understand the reasoning behind that. Farming++ is one of the greatest farming mods ever made for Minetest.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I agree. I think that I might replace TenPlus1's redo with this, and scrap the old farming plus. The only thing is this; The trees in this mod are kinda good, but not big enough. Apply a visual scale to them. They will look better.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

philipbenr wrote:I agree. I think that I might replace TenPlus1's redo with this, and scrap the old farming plus. The only thing is this; The trees in this mod are kinda good, but not big enough. Apply a visual scale to them. They will look better.
I hope that you will do that.