The Blender Exchange Service

Rhys

The Blender Exchange Service

by Rhys » Post

Hello everyone. So I was thinking there should be a type of blender file exchange, where we could ask for a .blend file to be created and contributors can create that file desired and put it up here on this topic. I am wanting to create a backpack mod that has a nice model to it. What I would like is the backpack to have a nice model, but has a blocky feel to it. Good luck and thanks to any contributors who would like to do the backpack. :)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: The Blender Exchange Service

by Inocudom » Post

Minetest mods do need 3D meshes at times for entities, but games like Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse could really use them for player models (cause people rarely bother to make custom player models for open-source shooter games.) I am guessing that the reason why is that making custom player models (regardless of 3D modeling program) is excruciatingly difficult and excruciatingly stressful. I played with a few 3D modeling programs in the past myself, so I can definitely understand the unwillingness there. Even for Minetest mods can such a task be trying.

Rhys

by Rhys » Post

Inocudom wrote:Minetest mods do need 3D meshes at times for entities, but games like Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse could really use them for player models (cause people rarely bother to make custom player models for open-source shooter games.) I am guessing that the reason why is that making custom player models (regardless of 3D modeling program) is excruciatingly difficult and excruciatingly stressful. I played with a few 3D modeling programs in the past myself, so I can definitely understand the unwillingness there. Even for Minetest mods can such a task be trying.
Oh of course Sokomine, I wouldn't mind if someone would like to delete this topic, but it was an idea that popped into my head. So really, this topic could be explained as a sub-topic community. :)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Actually, it is good to have a topic like this in these forums. Too bad nobody ever uses it.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Personally I think this topic is a great idea. Really It seems to me with the basics of blender, or lack of, it is easy to make simple non animated models in blender. Now texturing means forget it though ;).
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Hmm. I think modeling, texturing (UV mapping really), rigging, and animating are pretty easy to do in Blender, especially for this sort of simple project. IMO the things that are lacking are 1.) good, coherent ideas that are appealing and worth completing and publishing, and 2.) enough API/engine support to make models really come alive once completed. The things we have now seem "good enough" to dampen enthusiasm, especially when we are already pushing the bounds of the API/engine and in light of what seems like a great deal of public desire to stick with as simple and blocky a look as possible. Artists are often discouraged by the prospect of putting work into something that doesn't go much of anywhere.

On the other hand, this kind of discussion may have the potential to bring enough of a sub-community together to raise enthusiasm for such a project.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

This thread looks pretty dead, so maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but I'm rather good with Blender, and would be more than happy to try and create models for mods. I've actually got a few of my own cooking that I'm working on models for, but need to learn the coding for to make happen.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nathan.S wrote: This thread looks pretty dead, so maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but I'm rather good with Blender, and would be more than happy to try and create models for mods. I've actually got a few of my own cooking that I'm working on models for, but need to learn the coding for to make happen.
Depends which ideas you've got and what sort of models you're creating. Maybe you ought to explain more about them? There are plenty of people here who might help you with the coding part. People doing models in blender are much more rare.

I'm still looking for a goat model. I'm tired of jumping sheep! The Minetest world calls for goats.
A list of my mods can be found here.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

In the near future such topic will be needed for sure because of meshnodes.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Way cool RBA!

TriBlade9

by TriBlade9 » Post

Awesome :D

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

@RBA: Is that in a game, or just a standalone mod of yours/somebody else's?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

philipbenr wrote:@RBA: Is that in a game, or just a standalone mod of yours/somebody else's?
Tis mesh nodes. :3 (in other words, it is a drawtype for nodes that allows for 3d models or meshes that RBA is worknig on)
Back from the dead!

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

Last edited by Esteban on Fri Mar 18, 2016 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

I didn't know about that... That is really cool.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Nathan.S wrote: This thread looks pretty dead, so maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but I'm rather good with Blender, and would be more than happy to try and create models for mods. I've actually got a few of my own cooking that I'm working on models for, but need to learn the coding for to make happen.
Depends which ideas you've got and what sort of models you're creating. Maybe you ought to explain more about them? There are plenty of people here who might help you with the coding part. People doing models in blender are much more rare.

I'm still looking for a goat model. I'm tired of jumping sheep! The Minetest world calls for goats.

I'm thinking of a fire mode, that will have 3d torches, yes I know about the mod that already exists, and campfires, which can cook, I know there is already a campfire mod too, but I want to have the fire change brightness depending on how much fuel you put in it. There might be other fire related things as well, flint and steel maybe, but those are the first two I want to get going.

gamergardencat

by gamergardencat » Post

I have been thinking about making something that looks like fire that can be used with slabs to make a 2x2 fire pit.
superman slices a giant apple into 3 and hands it to guest220

Joz

by Joz » Post

I think goats are a very good idea for minetest. Would be cool to have good models for them in the game.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Joz wrote:I think goats are a very good idea for minetest. Would be cool to have good models for them in the game.
I've sent a file out to another forum user, forget his name :S but no reason I can't let you at the file as well.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29046539/Goat.zip

Everything is created by me, CC0 license.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

@Nathan.S: 404 error

I am trying not to use dropbox anymore, since there have been many difficulties with it.

Joz

by Joz » Post

@Nathan.S
Getting 404 error also. Is this file that you created a goat model?
Also, what I really want are cats with good animations. Blender is relatively difficult to learn for me and my time is limited.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Joz wrote: @Nathan.S
Getting 404 error also. Is this file that you created a goat model?
Yes, what Nathan.S did was a very nice goat model. I've started making it available for mobf (animals modpack by sapier), but it still needs some finetuning, and the nice new models (buck and kid) need to be included. It will be available at github, called mobf_goat.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

To anybody that wanted the goat model, I've since updated and I deleted that original file, sorry, not to worry though, I'll link to the new one here. I'll try and remember to not delete this one.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29046539/Goats.zip

@Joz you asked for cats, what type of cats, house cats, big cats? I can't make any promises as to when I'll get them/it for you, but I'll work on it when I can. I'm also working on a mod of my own, and I have a full time job, so my time is pretty tight as well.

gamergardencat

by gamergardencat » Post

Since it's almost Halloween make the cat black and kind of dog sized.

Here are some ideas. http://www.cubeworldwiki.net/index.php/Pets

It would be cool to ride a shark in the water.
superman slices a giant apple into 3 and hands it to guest220

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Afaik, meshnodes are now a in minetest! So put all your blendering to good use. https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... a934f0121d
Back from the dead!