What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

Rochambeau

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by Rochambeau » Post

jojoa1997 wrote: Also the name change idea has already been discussed before. I think a better name than Minetest could not be found.
Playing minetest for several weeks, i tried to get some friends to join in. But when i mentioned the name "minetest", everybody asked "test, why test?". Suddenly their interest dropped.
The "test"-part still gives the tone/notion of something incomplete, beta. Like a shortliving coding-project of a bored student or something.

Can't blame my friends. I felt the same way. As a first impulsive I went on to freeminer as it has the same engine but a catchy name. (came back for technical reasons :-P)

The name of a game is first thing you see. If that is unattractive or confusing it decreases the perception of the (good) game.

So I suggest a brainstorming for finding a better name (which won't be easy). Did some research:

Openminer - taken
OpenCraft - taken
Minegine - taken
MineFrame - taken
MineWork - taken
WorldCraft - taken
Blockworld - taken
Blockminer - taken
Worldgine - free
WorldMine - taken
Cubegine (Cube+Engine) - free

Of course the best names are already claimed. But there must be something better than "Minetest"... :-)

CuteGremlin
In-game: cutegremlin

by CuteGremlin » Post

Rochambeau wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote: Also the name change idea has already been discussed before. I think a better name than Minetest could not be found.
Playing minetest for several weeks, i tried to get some friends to join in. But when i mentioned the name "minetest", everybody asked "test, why test?". Suddenly their interest dropped.
The "test"-part still gives the tone/notion of something incomplete, beta. Like a shortliving coding-project of a bored student or something.

Can't blame my friends. I felt the same way. As a first impulsive I went on to freeminer as it has the same engine but a catchy name. (came back for technical reasons :-P)

The name of a game is first thing you see. If that is unattractive or confusing it decreases the perception of the (good) game.

So I suggest a brainstorming for finding a better name (which won't be easy). Did some research:

Openminer - taken
OpenCraft - taken
Minegine - taken
MineFrame - taken
MineWork - taken
WorldCraft - taken
Blockworld - taken
Blockminer - taken
Worldgine - free
WorldMine - taken
Cubegine (Cube+Engine) - free

Of course the best names are already claimed. But there must be something better than "Minetest"... :-)
CubeEngine sound pretty cool, can't believe no on thought of that before. Great job!
I'm playing CubeEngine and it's as awsome as it sounds, yeah!

TriBlade9

by TriBlade9 » Post

CubeEngine won't work, see http://cubeengine.com/

Joz

by Joz » Post

So, CubeEngine is the name of a page which lists voxel engines and not of an engine yet? Then this could be used.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Not exactly. Cube (or Cube 2) is an engine.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

Cubenegine lists voxel enines? Ok, VoxEngine. Or VoxelEngine. Boom.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Voxelmine?
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

A couple of random names
VoxelQuest
MineQuest
CubeQuest
BlockQuest
MESECraft
VoxelCraft
Cubecraft
MineMaster
CraftMaster
VoxelMaster
CubeMaster
MESEMaster
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I actually like Mesetint.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Oct 14, 2014 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

I also very strongly agree that the name needs to be changed.
Someone mentioned something about the names VoxelEngine and VoxelMine. I think these are great names to use instead of Minetest, or how about VoxelMiner. I like that one the most!
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

solars

by solars » Post

If a currency is included in the game, you can call it Mineteston. And use Teston as name for the coins. ;)

Or you can call it Minetesty and shut up. :P
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

I wrote a mod called mint where people can mint coins named minetoon.

Minetoon Pences, Minetoon Chillings, Minetoon Pounds.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Allmine? MINeo? ;) DigBuild? Roam? Voxel Lands? Open Planet? Infinite Terresria?Celerons game? ;) MineOwn?
I test mines.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

How about "MineBananaSundaeDiggingInTheDirtGettingMuckyBuilder" ?

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

DiggyHoleDiggy. >.>

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

How about “Minetest”? :P

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:How about “Minetest”? :P
No, that name is taken. There is already a game called Minetest.

Hello profile reader

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

You can make up funny names as much as you want. (strange, how mostly longterm players mock about this initiative... )

Just saying (from my own experience) the name MineTEST is indeed a problem when you want to become more popular and attract more players.

Vazon
IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

by Vazon » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:How about “Minetest”? :P
No, that name is taken. There is already a game called Minetest.
Wait, what???? Since when??? ..... Garsh dang it, that was my number one name for the rename? xD
But on another note, I think VoxelMiner is probably the best name stated so by far.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I agree that it is a problem, but I very much doubt it will be changed.

A better solution would be to rebrand the game as more scientific, to give meaning to the "test." People will still think that the game is a test though, unless they view the rebranded website, etc. (ie: think it is a test just by seeing the name)

Hello profile reader

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

+1 for MineTest...

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

I'll toss in my two-cents on the "name" topic.

A name that has much more broad appeal could be helpful or, given the amount of recognition Minetest has built up so far, it may be better to capitalize on a recent shift in Minetest's competition - "Minetest is not Microsoftcraft".

If a new name is the path chosen, then the key point should be "broad appeal"; not limited to the technically sophisticated (nerds).

"Minetest" sounds like an exam that miners or geologists have to take before being allowed to work in the mining industry. However, if marketed just right, "test" could be perceived as a robust challenge, a rite of passage.

"Test" your metal. (internal fortitude) The world is yours to master.

"Test" your creativity and imagination. Unbound by the constraints of reality.

If the new name is too scientific or technical then, as Rochambeau recounted, most people will lose interest in it the moment they hear the name.

We want to draw people in.

We want people to be intrigued the moment they hear or read the name.

We don't want them to think it is a homework assignment.

The name "Minecraft" is not scientific and is not technical and does not instantly invoke a sense of "boring" or apathy when heard or read by the non-nerd populace.

While it is easy to fixate on the literal meaning of "Minecraft", a game where you "mine" and "craft" stuff, there are other factors of the game that the Minecraft title did not encompass.

"Minecraft" also probably enjoyed some sense of appeal or initial interest upon hearing and/or reading the name, based on the familiarity of two other popular "craft"-named games - "Warcarft" (WoW) and "Starcraft".

Though not related in the game-play, the name recognition of "Warcraft" and "Starcraft" (name recognition - a big goal of marketing and PR) and the follow through, assumed association - "It's probably like Warcraft and Starcraft.", may have been enough just to get people to try Minecraft.

Changing Minetest's name to a world-like name is a gamble. "Terraria" sounds like a single world. Minetest is capable of many, radically diverse worlds.

Minetest is not a world, it is an engine. The problem is, while nerds may look for an "engine", everyone else looks for a game to play. Again, the key point is broad appeal.

The words "Mine" and "craft" (and their non-English counterparts) are words that are part of the common, every-day communication; just like "car", "dog", and "tree".

I have yet to find "voxel" used anywhere outside of 3D gaming. "Voxel" is not part of the common, every-day communication of the non-nerd populace. Again, the key point is broad appeal; not to give Minetest a new name that causes people to instinctively relegate it to something only the technically sophisticated would be interested in.

While brainstorming for names, try to keep in mind that it needs to be something simple, catchy and easy to roll off the tongue; something that a normal, little kid could understand. If the little kids can understand it, then the name is effective enough to compete with the barrage of other game-names out there.

I've tried to think of names, myself, but the trouble I run into is that the possibilities Minetest provides are boundless. So much so that it is proving very difficult to sum them all up into a two or three word name.

Minetest is coming in late on this issue. Most of the short, catchy, and relevant names seem to have been taken. So perhaps the best course of action is to keep the name, "Minetest", build on the recognition it has gained so far, and pursue what I mentioned earlier, "Minetest is not Microsoftcraft."

+1 Minetest

"Minetest - The worlds are yours to master."

(Edits to fix typos, mangled grammar, and broken bits of thought.)

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I think LazyJ summarized it very well.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

How 'bout renaming the default game and advertise that instead of the engine's name?

FM is trying to blend the engine and the default game and is not very concerned with other games. That's understandable - they want to polish at least 1 game.

MT has more games and behaves much more like an engine. It is targeted to give an opportunity, to grant more choices and to decide what kind of a game you like most.

So, why not turning in players with the default minetest_game?

Rename it, polish and state everywhere that a game is EMPOWERED by the MineTest - an engine that enables one to test his\her skills in a vast voxel world? Call it "Origins" or "Classic" or anything that will look great with the following:

Some time ago there were news about bundling more than one game with minetest.
Cool. Every game should have title like "Minetest: Carbone" (Engine_name: game title). Sounds and looks like a poster of a new installment of a great series (comp. "The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind"). As for me, I wouldn't mind if my game will be under the title "Minetest:Magichet" :)

Of course not everyone will comply... but not everyone's game will be bundled with the engine as well :)

Oh, one more thing. REMOVE minimal game from the package. Make a different game with the name like "LearnTest" or "ModTest" or "ExampleTest" to underline that it is merely an example of how to write one's own mods.

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

4aiman wrote:How 'bout renaming the default game and advertise that instead of the engine's name?

Rename it, polish and state everywhere that a game is EMPOWERED by the MineTest - an engine that enables one to test his\her skills in a vast voxel world? Call it "Origins" or "Classic" or anything that will look great with the following:
+1 Great idea! A fighting game engine called M.U.G.E.N did the same. The engine is referred as M.U.G.E.N, but the games are given an unique name. (Small example of game made with this software)
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)