[Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.22] [slope_test]

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.11] [slope_test]

by Don » Post

Esteban wrote:
Krock wrote:Yay! Totally round nodes exist now!
Could smooth grass hills can be done using meshnodes? :D
Spoiler
I was thinking the same thing. Going to try the grass texture and see how it looks.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Evergreen wrote:For some reason, the new meshnodes aren't working for me. I have the latest git version, but they just appear as cubes.
If they appear as cubes it means you DONT have latest git.

Don

by Don » Post

smooth hills are awesome. Much better then nodeboxes.

Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

RealBadAngel wrote:
Evergreen wrote:For some reason, the new meshnodes aren't working for me. I have the latest git version, but they just appear as cubes.
I do have the latest git, but they still appear as cubes.
Back from the dead!

Don

by Don » Post

Evergreen wrote:
RealBadAngel wrote:
I do have the latest git, but they still appear as cubes.
I compiled the latest minetest from git yesterday. Tested the mesh slopes with different settings and every time I got a smooth mesh. Maybe try compiling again.
Last edited by Don on Fri Oct 24, 2014 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

It works now, after clearing the cmake cache and recompiling.
Back from the dead!

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.12] [slope_test]

by VanessaE » Post

Another update: v0.12 adds cones and spheres from Blender's built-in models, one of the latter being a nice Earth globe. What would a set of primitives be without these? :D See first post.

Also, better selection and collision boxes on the two pyramid shapes.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Don

by Don » Post

Loving it even more. Can't wait til this is supported in a stable release so it can be used on servers.

I was playing with it and set visual_scale to 10 on the globe. Thought you might like to see it.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

your update is amazing VanessaE Oo

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Be sure to add sounds properties to the nodes.

Also maybe custom collision boxes for more of these nodes, to step nicely on them.

facedir + automatic usage for cylinders, to place them sideways?

Pyramids and cones can be used to make staircases. :D

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.14] [slope_test]

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, did most of that. Facedir added to the nodes that lacked it, sounds for all nodes, and autorotate for everything except for the sphere and globe.

I'm not sure about better collision boxes; the shapes of the nodes that lack custom collision boxes don't really lend themselves well to directly walking up on them...?

EDIT: also added proper collision box for the icorner objects (selection box is still a full cube, but you can walk up it now). See first post for v0.14.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Don

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.14] [slope_test]

by Don » Post

I understand that this is a work in progress but.......

is it possible that the mod can check the version of client and if older client it shows nodeboxes but if new enough it shows meshnodes?

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.15] [slope_test]

by VanessaE » Post

It is not possible to do that as far as I know.

Meanwhile, another update: v0.15, added 2-node-long slopes (but not any corresponding corners).

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Just in case any readers were wondering... clients that are NOT current dev will not see these correctly even if the server they are connected to is current dev.

So servers may want to hold off until this is more mainstream. But... now we can develop and be ready! *happy dance*

Edit: wanted to add I'm so excited to be able to make 2 part low poly roof slopes. I've been frustrated with only 12/12 pitch roof nodes (45 degree). I want to make some lesser sloped 6/12 or 8/12 pitch roofs.

Don

by Don » Post

Just a sugestion, what if you start a topic "Submit your blender node models". This way you are not doing all the work. I would do it if I knew how to use blender. I am sure there are people who would be happy to help build a colection of meshnodes.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Don wrote:Just a sugestion, what if you start a topic "Submit your blender node models". This way you are not doing all the work. I would do it if I knew how to use blender. I am sure there are people who would be happy to help build a colection of meshnodes.
Nearly already done, a sticky where you can post requests.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10475
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: See first post for a new bash script I've made which can convert nodebox table data into Wavefront .OBJ files which Blender can then load. The script, when run, will convert your data into an .obj and then print out instructions describing the few steps you'll need to take after loading the converted file, to turn the objects into a proper, hollow model (they start out as if they're separate nodeboxes - this is intentional).

NONE of the models in this mod were run through this script, they were all created directly in Blender. The script is just here to make it easier to import the more complex nodebox models some people have made.

An interesting idea that comes to mind is to use rubenwardy's Nodebox Editor to get started, since it's geared toward Minetest work and is easier to use than Blender for the initial model layout, use my script to convert the nodebox code into an .obj file, import that into Blender, and then use Blender to put the finishing touches on the model, add details, and lay out the UV map.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

VanessaE wrote:Update: See first post for a new bash script I've made which can convert nodebox table data into Wavefront .OBJ files which Blender can then load. The script, when run, will convert your data into an .obj and then print out instructions describing the few steps you'll need to take after loading the converted file, to turn the objects into a proper, hollow model (they start out as if they're separate nodeboxes - this is intentional).

NONE of the models in this mod were run through this script, they were all created directly in Blender. The script is just here to make it easier to import the more complex nodebox models some people have made.

An interesting idea that comes to mind is to use rubenwardy's Nodebox Editor to get started, since it's geared toward Minetest work and is easier to use than Blender for the initial model layout, use my script to convert the nodebox code into an .obj file, import that into Blender, and then use Blender to put the finishing touches on the model, add details, and lay out the UV map.
That is another useful thing about meshnodes, you have much better control over how the textures are displayed.
Back from the dead!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: fixed the flipped X coordinates in the nodebox converter script.

EDIT: And added a couple of extra greps to filter out most of the excess data from a register_node call, so that you can be less discriminatory when saving out your nodebox data. Be careful not to include any selection_box or collision_box defs though - the script can't filter those out yet (if you include them, they'll turn into additional objects in your mesh, which you'll have to delete).

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Don wrote:smooth hills are awesome.
Not quite sure about that. After all Minetest is a voxel game engine :) But I’d love to replace those when it’s in 0.4.11 and the mod is updated :)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Linuxdirk: replacing Home Decor's roof shingles is most definitely planned. In fact it's part of why I coded these models.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

VanessaE wrote:Linuxdirk: replacing Home Decor's roof shingles is most definitely planned.
Sounds great! :) *thumbsup* Will it be automatically done or is it require d to re-place them?

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.16] [slope_test]

by VanessaE » Post

LinuxDirk: I believe the models will automatically fit when I swap them in.

Meanwhile, another update: By request ;-) v0.16 adds nine more shapes of various kinds - a couple more sizes of inner corners, a couple more outer corners, a split version of the long/2:1 slope, corner pyramids, and some other triangular/pyramid-like shapes. Also, I gave the onetexture/stone objects a more appropriate set of groups. All of these are standard-texture/default_stone.png rather than the more complex UV map style. I'll add good collision boxes to these later.

ExeterDad: Among these new shapes should be everything that's needed for those 12/6 pitch roofs you wanted. Maybe I should add these to Home Decor also?

See first post for download.

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Mesh primitive objects [0.17] [slope_test]

by VanessaE » Post

Small update: v0.17 adds selection/collision boxes for the two-part long slope thanks to Calinou, I fixed a copy&paste error in the description of the one-piece version of that object, and also I've set the shading mode to "smooth" on all of the rounded objects (or at least I think I did).

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

VanessaE wrote:Linuxdirk: replacing Home Decor's roof shingles is most definitely planned.
ah, so I can finally make a good looking steep roof for my manor on VEC and Sokomine might want to update the steep roof and onion shaped tower tips of her villa on VES. ;-P
I wonder if all the "corner cases" can be addressed that occure when combining differnt angles.