Minetest at MozFest 2014

Azelphur
GitHub: Azelphur
IRC: Azelphur
In-game: Azelphur

Minetest at MozFest 2014

by Azelphur » Post

Figured I'd drop by to let you all know about the fun we had with Minetest at MozFest 2014.

I volunteer with a group called EPIK and we have a bunch of donated laptops which are far too low spec to run the main Minecraft release. But they run Minetest just fine!

Minetest was a big hit, I set the kids the challenge of digging to the bedrock... "That's easy!" they all said, while I sat there cackling evilly.

Anyway, here are some photos! :)

Me setting up all the laptops. It was very short notice and I had to set it all up on the day, managed to get it all up and running on time thankfully. They are all very old atom based machines running Xubuntu, using the minetest PPA. I also somehow ended up looking like a serial killer.

All laptops set up and ready to go

The space filled up pretty quickly

So we installed it on some Android tablets too.

All in all everything went great. We are hoping to integrate minetest into our events now and get the kids learning some LUA while having fun. Thanks folks and keep up the good work! :)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Minetest at MozFest 2014

by Krock » Post

Hi there.

The target you gave the kids there (digging to the bedrock) is great. *evil face*
Happy to see people enjoying Minetest.
Thanks for sharing this with us!

Btw: It's Lua, not LUA
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Azelphur wrote: All in all everything went great. We are hoping to integrate minetest into our events now and get the kids learning some LUA while having fun.
The learning is greater and truer when the results of your efforts can been seen and interacted with.

I wish there was something like this when I was a kid:

"EPIK (Encouraging Programming in Kent) is an ionCube initiative designed to encourage young people aged 8 - 25 in Kent.

Our aim is to engage with computer programming, and all things technical, in a creative and fun way by hosting an online competition for the next 5 years.

Since 2013 we now also support this competition with a free to attend physical event every 2 months to take part in from across industry from collaborative working the embodiment of the Mozilla Foundation to the Games industry by taking part in the game design life cycle. "

Thanks for the pics and the story behind them. It is very encouraging. ;)

Azelphur
GitHub: Azelphur
IRC: Azelphur
In-game: Azelphur

by Azelphur » Post

Krock wrote:Btw: It's Lua, not LUA
Gah, I keep doing that. My brain just refuses to not see it as an acronym, I do know it's Lua :)

EPIK

by EPIK » Post

We had an awesome time at #MozFest with Minetest, since I've learnt about it Ive signposted a few kids and their parents to it. Azelphur is also planning on introducing Minetest to the Autistic group in Margate - Kent we think it will work well being free and good on low spec machines.

We hope to use it next year again in the youthzone of the London MozFest, if any of you want to help out just ping us an email to run a session in the youth track? http://2014.mozillafestival.org/tracks

Thank you all for the work that went into this clone :)

Share on twitter :) https://twitter.com/EPIKhub/status/527590605405556736

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

A year is a bit far away to organise. I'd love to help to help if university allows it. I been a member for quite a long while, and I have contributed to the source multiple times.

I'd like to see Minetest at more tech show. Is there an open source one?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader