[Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Colored Woods [20140617] [coloredwood]

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: Another update: new textures using the "4-tile" style of current minetest_game
Thank you! Finally a really good, working wood texture - including some colored textures we may in the future sell as wood from trees :-) Hope the basic wood texture gets integrated into minetest_next soon.
A list of my mods can be found here.

mgl
GitHub: mgl512

by mgl » Post

I believe there's a typo in the code of the greyscale colors of planks that makes the medium grey wood uncraftable (file 'wood.lua'): there's a reference to "unifieddyes:mediumgrey_paint" which doesn't exist in the unifieddyes mod, it's "grey_paint" there I think.

Code: Select all

diff --git a/wood.lua b/wood.lua
index e07ad29..d6abcf0 100644
--- a/wood.lua
+++ b/wood.lua
@@ -89,7 +89,7 @@ local greys2 = {
 local greys3 = {
 	"black",
 	"darkgrey_paint",
-	"mediumgrey_paint",
+	"grey_paint",
 	"lightgrey_paint",
 	"white_paint"
 }

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod needs a bit of an update anyway, because unifieddyes hasn't used "paint" in any of its item names in a while. It only defines light grey of those three (as "dye:light_grey"), with the other two being handled by the default dyes mod now.

Fixed in git, did the aforementioned update, and also another minor change: don't give back glass bottles on crafting fences/wood blocks, unified dyes doesn't use them in the making of dye colors anymore.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mgl

by mgl » Post

VanessaE wrote:Fixed in git
The mistake is still there Vanessa, in 'init.lua' this time.

diff --git a/init.lua b/init.lua
index 78d44f8..d8be6ad 100644
--- a/init.lua
+++ b/init.lua
@@ -106,7 +106,7 @@ coloredwood.greys2 = {
 coloredwood.greys3 = {
 	"black",
 	"darkgrey_paint",
-	"mediumgrey_paint",
+	"grey_paint",
 	"lightgrey_paint",
 	"white_paint"
 }

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

OOPS! Looks like I forgot to push my last commit to the repository (I was working on removing all that 'paint' stuff altogether since it's outdated anyway). Sorry about that. Fixed.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mgl

by mgl » Post

I noticed two typos in the dark colors s50 (I don't understand what I'm talking about) while playing with this mod:
- the dark color s50 dye makes the same wood (craft: {default:wood, default:wood, dye}) as the simply dark dye.
- You can't craft sticks from the dark color s50 wood (fences are good once the sticks recipe is fixed).

This is the git diff

diff --git a/stick.lua b/stick.lua
index 05fb3f4..5652f4b 100644
--- a/stick.lua
+++ b/stick.lua
@@ -24,7 +24,7 @@ for shade = 1, 3 do
 		local s50colorname = colored_block_modname..":stick_"..shadename..huename.."_s50"
 		local s50pngname   = colored_block_modname.."_stick_"..shadename..huename.."_s50.png"
 		local s50itemdesc  = shadename2..huename2..colored_block_description.." (50% Saturation)"
-		local s50woodkname = colored_block_modname..":wood_"..shadename..huename.."_s50"
+		local s50woodname = colored_block_modname..":wood_"..shadename..huename.."_s50"

minetest.register_craft({
 		        type = "fuel",
diff --git a/wood.lua b/wood.lua
index 256d3fb..8fd4d01 100644
--- a/wood.lua
+++ b/wood.lua
@@ -107,7 +107,7 @@ for shade = 1, 3 do

minetest.register_craft( {
 			type = "shapeless",
-			output = colorname.." 2",
+			output = s50colorname.." 2",
 			recipe = {
 				neutral_block,
 				neutral_block,
EDIT:
I think I should post the tests I did in creative on coloredwood (after the patch above).

This is the colored dyes I made from one of the 12 base colors:
  • s50 dye, craft = (black dye, black dye, white dye, base color dye)
  • dark dye (black, black, base color)
  • medium dye: (black, base color)
  • light dye: (white, base color)
  • nothing: (base color)
And the dyes I made in shades of grey:
  • black
  • black, black, white
  • black, white
  • black, white, white
  • white
I tried the following recipes on each of these dyes:
  • dye, 6 default:stick -> dyed fence
  • default:wood, default:wood, dye -> dyed wood
  • dyed wood -> dyed sticks
  • dyed sticks -> dyed fence

I believe every dye color and recipe is covered in this set. Everything works exept that this recipe: (dye, 6 default:stick -> dyed fence) doesn't seem to exist for the shades of grey. I didn't fix it yet.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Thanks. Merged those fixes by hand (you'll want to re-clone). I didn't realize this mod had so many little bugs :-/

I've pushed a fix for [6 sticks + grey/black/white dye --> fences] also.

mgl

by mgl » Post

Thanks Vanessa.

There's an unused variable at the beginning of the file 'stick.lua': neutral_block. It's set to be "default:stick" and never used. I think it's better to keep the "default:stick" as they are, without an alias. It makes the recipes more readable.

mgl wrote: believe every dye color and recipe is covered in this set.
I added the (dye, fence, fence) -> dyed fence recipe to my set of tests. All the recipes are OK for the base colors and the 5 shades of grey.

VanessaE wrote:I didn't realize this mod had so many little bugs :-/
The number of color classes, shades of grey and recipes makes it hard to spot them.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

"neutral_block" - yeah, that's just a leftover from the template that was first used to generate this mod. Just ignore it :-)

That said, I should put "group:stick" in those fence recipes. Since the fences are colored, the base wood is then irrelevant.

mgl

by mgl » Post

VanessaE wrote:I should put "group:stick" in those fence recipes. Since the fences are colored, the base wood is then irrelevant.
Then you may also consider adding the colored sticks to the group "group:stick", or it would be confusing to be able to craft colored fences from dye and any stick except the already colored ones. To be clear, if you change default:stick to group:stick in the file 'fence.lua', you wouldn't be able to craft fences from dye, 4 default:sticks, 1 jungle stick and a spare colored one.

For me it's better to use dye on default wood and default sticks only but it's your mod :)

EDIT: It would ruin the colored fences recipe (from 6 colored sticks) to add the colored sticks to the "group:stick" group.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sorry it took so long, but this is fixed now.

Think of the dye as "overriding" the previous colors. They're more like paints than a dyes anyway (all other mods tend to treat them that way). This only works with recipes where you explicitly add a dye to the 6 sticks.

I wrote it so that if you don't add a dye, no craft will take place (unless the sticks happen to all be the same color already, then the standard recipe kicks in), so it doesn't ruin the recipes at all.

Also added recipes for the default dye craftitems.

Note that I left the 7-random-colored-sticks -> ladder recipe alone, as changing that one to use group:stick would add a gameplay element that doesn't belong in this mod.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod has been converted to use the new param2-based colorization scheme.

There are no crafts in this mod anymore - it's all done by simply placing a default wood block or default wood fence on the ground and right-clicking on it with some dye to change it to that color. Dig the wood and you get back plain, default wood and the dye used to color it.

Moreblocks' Stairsplus nodes are fully supported. Dig one of those, and you get back the un-colored stairsplus shape, and the dye used to color it.

Since this mod has stairsplus support, it uses the engine's colorfacedir param2 type. Since that would limit the palette to just 8 colors, this mod uses a feature in Unified Dyes to expand that back to the full 89-color palette. That means that instead of there being only one base node for the wood as would be the case for a non-facedir node, there are 13: one per base hue, plus greyscale, with Unified Dyes handling most of the rest. There is, however, only one base node for the fence since it doesn't use colorfacedir.

When stairsplus is enabled, this expands to about 400 nodes (one per hue and shape combination), but that's a damned sight better than the ~2900 nodes that used to be created with this combination. :-)

Please note that minetest_game wooden stairs and slabs are not yet supported.

You will need a Minetest engine build made on January 24 (actually git commit d04d8aba), or newer, an equivalent update for minetest_game, and the latest git of Unified Dyes, otherwise newly-placed blocks/poles can't be colored and you'll get unknown items for any existing ones.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod has been updated to use the revised Unified Dyes API -- you now punch the node while wielding dye, instead of right-clicking.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Players who are using 0.4.15 stable may prefer this version. Newest version is for 0.4.15-dev and beyond.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Is there a way to get a stack of 99999 of each color planks easily? Finding each color and running /giveme blablabla 99999 for each one is rather time consuming.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Use creative mode and the blocks are infinite. Otherwise, in the node defs of the mod, set:

stack_max = 65535,
(I think that's as much as the engine allows)

zing269

by zing269 » Post

I found a minor issue. When you override the default:wooden_fence groups you forgot to include the fence group in the list.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Would you mind filing an issue for that so I don't forget? Not doing any modding until after 0.4.16-release (June 4 or later).

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

After upgrading my servers to 0.4.16 along with updating to the latest coloredwood, I'm having lots of unknown item blocks, like:

coloredwood:slab_wood_light_orange
coloredwood:wood_light_blue
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Looks like some old nodes that used regular minetest_game "stairs" mod, support for which is incomplete (I had Moreblocks/stairsplus in mind when I wrote the mod). Should be an easy fix. File an issue on github about it please.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This project has been moved to Gitlab.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Minor update: by now, they've done their job, so I've gotten rid of the color conversion LBMs. Also, I made a change to Unified Dyes' handling of "split" palette mode, and updated this mod accordingly. You'll need UD from commit ad123874 (tag 2018-09-08-1) or later, and up-to-date Minetest.

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Minor update: by now, they've done their job, so I've gotten rid of the color conversion LBMs. Also, I made a change to Unified Dyes' handling of "split" palette mode, and updated this mod accordingly. You'll need UD from commit ad123874 (tag 2018-09-08-1) or later, and up-to-date Minetest.
Does this fix the bug I reported which affects pre-param2 servers?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't recall that report, but without that LBM, no conversion will take place; such nodes will have to be fixed by hand if any still exist.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Important update: due to updates to its API, if you have signs_lib installed, you must update it to commit 4ff54c9a or later, otherwise you will get crashes as Coloredwood tries to use some of its API functions.