Menus and the inventory

bru

Menus and the inventory

by bru » Post

This is one of the main things that makes inventory management a huge pain and generally results in me having lazily organized chests.

When I move an item from my inventory to a chest, there's a delay. Same goes with crafting, furnaces, etc. Why aren't the menus handled client side?

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1374

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Menus and the inventory

by Krock » Post

bru wrote:Why aren't the menus handled client side?
To prevent from cheating.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

thetoon

by thetoon » Post

Because virtually nothing is handled client-side. Well, that's a bit of an over-statement, but it reflects the general direction.

Note that, given a considerable coding effort, it could be theoretically possible to move some things to client-side. Though, as said before, it would probably require those things to be done twice, once on each end of the connection, to prevent cheating.

GauVeldt
GitHub: gau-veldt

by GauVeldt » Post

my only question is why these very things lag on an eight-core recent computer with the client and server on same machine (ie: singleplayer)?

there could be a lot of inventories kicking around, especially when mods must use hidden player inventories to keep any persistent player attributes.

maybe the player stuff should use sqlite like the maps, perhaps speeding things up versus filesystem access (the sqlite library is highly optimized, transactional (thread-safe), resistant to power-loss conditions, etc.)

I've been considering such a change in my local build of minetest.

EDIT: emphasis
Last edited by GauVeldt on Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

GauVeldt wrote:my only question is why these very things lag on an eight-core recent computer with the client and server on same machine?

there could be a lot of inventories kicking around, especially when mods must use hidden player inventories to keep any persistent player attributes.

maybe the player stuff should use sqlite like the maps, perhaps speeding things up versus filesystem access (the sqlite library is highly optimized, transactional (thread-safe), resistant to power-loss conditions, etc.)

The speed of your computer has nothing to do with lag.
Back from the dead!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Evergreen wrote:...
I'm not really sure about that as I do some times have the feeling that a client on a slow computer could possibly cause lag on a remote server and even influence the other connected clients. Maybe the rule of the convoy applies that states "the complete convoy moves as fast as the slowest member".

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

On singleplayer it does.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

rubenwardy wrote:On singleplayer it does.
Sorry about that, ignore me. :P
Back from the dead!

GauVeldt
GitHub: gau-veldt

by GauVeldt » Post

Evergreen wrote:
GauVeldt wrote:my only question is why these very things lag on an eight-core recent computer with the client and server on same machine?

I'm sure it would when client are server are on same machine as is the case in singleplayer. I failed to mention singleplayer specifically in my last post but I should have implied it when I said "on same machine".

bru

by bru » Post

Krock wrote:
I worded that poorly. I don't mean the actual items in the inventory.

Why is so much of the game server-side, though? I would love to make some client-side mods. Things like custom HUDs, things similar to the immersive sounds, etc. Why does that all have to be handled by the server?

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

Krock wrote:
This isn't a decent enough explanation. Many server/client games (think MMOs) need to handle inventory in a similar fashion and do not have the same lag.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Not because of cheating. Mods are server, the easiest way to do menus is server side. It's about extendability. Of course client side prediction with inventories would be good for all of them, including chests.

AFAIK
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader