In-game: CWz

Re: Redcrab's server

by CWz » Post

a grief by water that i spotted while roaming around the world in motion

Erthome
In-game: Erthome Azyaqux

by Erthome » Post

There are some genuine dueling philosophies in play here.

The unparallelled server reliability that comes with using a *truly* stable release with patches and carefully coordinated mods appeals to me greatly, and has inspired me to spend thousands of hours on the redcrab server. There is much to be said for drawing upon one's creativity using whatever is available to build and imagine.

Conversely, when I saw the first 10 point buck ever eying me in Erthhabor near the courthouse it was an almost Arthurian few seconds. It is wonderful to have an array of plants that extends beyond the inert papyrus and scrub brush bush.

From a Moderator's perspective, roll back may work better (I'm taking your word for that Soko because my only experience in SilverCrab so far was to discover that sadly it does not allow the reliable rollback of WorldEdit based changes) BUT having now worked extensively with the Area mod I have mixed feelings. The markers system places an overly constrictive limit on the save size (suitable for first time house builders but not for larger structures or my mainstay which is estate preparation. Hence I end up resorting to the /set_owner and /add_owner commands anyhow. And the recent experience on Silvercrab where all the old protects were suddenly lost at a little over 1100 entries forcing OldCoder to reload the table and myself, other admins and players to redo all of our protects leave me questioning the stability/compatibility of the mods in their present state. (Mark my words, however, the UI with that admin block of yours is infinitely more user friendly than command line coordinates, etc.)

I have to assume that Redcrab's scarcity is a matter of Real Life necessity on his part, so rather than pushing him for time-consuming and player disruptive upgrades, I personally am tempted to beseech Redcrab to delegate some more authority to someone on the server admin side, and to consider setting up (or refurbishing 30402) a sandbox server with a periodic port of redcrab's 30401 where we can experiment in a methodical way with a newer version (if there is anything stable and that does not have known debilitating core bugs) and one at a time choice mods till they are deemed rock solid.

Pipe-dreaming though that may be, it seems the best advice/wish I can offer.

As an aside...the water-flowing issue with newer clients...I find it hard to believe that the newer clients could not (in the worst case) reasonably be made to detect server version and provide backward compatibility. Designing new clients in such a way as to invalidate working legacy servers is a ploy used by Pay software interests to force upgrades and increase sales--this does not seem appropriate to me in an open source community. Just my opinion there obviously.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

wow this server is empty

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

The usual regulars for the past year are still the usual regulars. We have each taken some time away to help OldCoder get the Silvercrab server rolling as well. Once again, the Redcrab Server is serving like a trooper. :-)

uldics

by uldics » Post

I know I have had this before. But dont remember the solution if there was one. The world on both Redcrabs 30401 and 30402 is gray. GUI and inventory is visible, anything else is not there. But the coordinates and direction change as I jump and turn. All ok on other servers when tested on few.
System is fresh Ubuntu install with copied .minetest folder from old install, where everything was OK. Both with official repos and the Minetest stable ppa installed. Same hardware, just changed to 64bit from 32bit Ubuntu.
The error message is a bit different than others have posted various places. One time today it was something about cannot load unknown_block.png etc, now just this:
user@computer:~$ minetest
Irrlicht log: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.1
Irrlicht log: Linux 3.16.0-24-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 28 13:07:32 UTC 2014 x86_64
Irrlicht log: Using renderer: OpenGL 4.4.12968
Irrlicht log: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series: ATI Technologies Inc.
Irrlicht log: OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
Irrlicht log: GLSL version: 4.4
Irrlicht log: Could not load texture:
Font size: 8 15
AL lib: (WW) FreeDevice: (0x2551020) Deleting 25 Buffer(s)
user@computer:~$

How do I get everything visible?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

have you tried using an old client version? There might be difficulties with using newer clients on this server as RedCrab does not use the newest Minetest-server version

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

uldics wrote: I know I have had this before. But dont remember the solution if there was one. The world on both Redcrabs 30401 and 30402 is gray. GUI and inventory is visible, anything else is not there. But the coordinates and direction change as I jump and turn. All ok on other servers when tested on few.
The solution is to move your Minetest cache folder out of the way, create a new cache folder, and connect. You have to move the old cache folder out of the way (or at least remove those media stored on Redcrabs server) each time you connect.

This procedure is necessary because Redcrabs server runs a version of the game that is several years old, while development is progressing with bugfixes and new features every couple of days. Redcrab sadly does not seem to have time to update his server :-(

Depending on what you're looking for, SilverCrab hosted by OldCoder may be an alternative. It runs an almost complete copy of Redcrabs world and may be used for sightseeing or building, although most players who joined it now seem very young. Erthome does his best to help them to understand the game and construct their first home.

If your goal is to create impressive buildings which other players may actually see and enjoy, VanessaEs servers, Linuxgaming.us, Landrush and the King Arthurs Land server may be alternatives worth considering.

I wish Redcrab would have time to update his server to a newer version of the game so that connecting could be done less stressful.
A list of my mods can be found here.

uldics

by uldics » Post

Yes, thanks. That did the trick :)

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

The Server's been up for 44 days or more! I suppose the furnaces have an excuse for being a bit sluggish.. I wonder if any changes done will get saved?

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Soko, did Cactuz give you privs to restart the server or something? I remember between the two of you that you had a way of bringing the furnaces back to life periodically--I'm hoping the way wasn't simply waiting for the auto restart LOL

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Ups. I had put this tread away for later answering.

No, I'm sorry, I can't restart the server when needed :-( All we can do is wait for the restart script. The last time the server went down was due to the restart script failing. To my knowledge, Redcrab has repaired that.

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

The servers been up for more than 10^7 seconds now! Long live redcrab heh

NetoGames009
In-game: NetoGames009

by NetoGames009 » Post

Hello,Redcrab.When the 0.3.1 server is going on air again?

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz

by CWz » Post

NetoGames009 wrote:Hello,Redcrab.When the 0.3.1 server is going on air again?
Why play on such an old server? muchless a server with map in such bad condition.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I came on the server after being gone for a while, and my house is completely gone! :( the stuff around it is there, and some of my tunnels are still intact, but the house itself seems to have reset to the time before I built it!

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Hey it's rebooted, lets get cooking :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It's such a pity that it has become so difficult to join the server. My cache is filled with megabytes of data, while my internet connection is not the fastest. So the only way is to move the cache out of the way before connecting to Redcrabs server.

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz

by CWz » Post

I use the 0.4.7 client and i don't need to worry about that

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

For dinosaur addict ... 0.3.1 is back ... redcrab.suret.net port 30031 still alive ... again ... ;)

Enjoy.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

redcrab wrote:
For dinosaur addict ... 0.3.1 is back ... redcrab.suret.net port 30031 still alive ... again ... ;)

Enjoy.
redcrab: have you found the time to update your current server to a newer version of 0.4?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

redcrab wrote: For dinosaur addict ... 0.3.1 is back ... redcrab.suret.net port 30031 still alive ... again ... ;)
A...a...redcrab! Can't believe it! Nice to see you. It'd be really great if the server on port 30401 could become more useable again and be updated. If you're willing to - there will be plenty of people willing to help. It's such a pity that the server can't be used with newer clients without having to clear the cache first.

There are also other issues that need doing - especially cleaning up of the dropped sand and gravel blocks around spawn.

Perhaps we ought to add a rare ore to Minetest - more rare than full MESE blocks: With a lot of luck, you'd eventually find a server admin and could dig him up :-)

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

For the past few months Redcrab 30401 has been chugging along with primarily Rob65536 et al and myself doing the building. (In fact, Rob is the only other player I've seen there but Rob has noticed occasional others.)

Not sure if it is a short term glitch tied in with the Map Generation or a sign of a bigger problem approaching, but speed has been very low for the past day or so [ to the point of refusing connections and limiting player to a single 32 x 32 voxel area for 5 minutes after load ] in case you are keeping an eye on the forum here mr Redcrab.

UPDATE: 2015/04/27 It's been slow to unusable since I made this post. Presently not responding to Connection Requests.

UPDATE: 2015/04/29 Still not responding to Connection Requests.

UPDATE: 2015/05/01 Still not responding to Connection Requests. If anyone discovers the server is up and working please send me a message.
Last edited by Erthome on Fri May 01, 2015 15:09, edited 3 times in total.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

LOL @ Sokomine the ServerAdmin block ;-)

P.S. I'd like to see the "bug" fixed in the newer clients so they can play legendary worlds :-P

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Hi All,
I've made a short video of desert city here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tfRRWxq0g I'll try to make some more, but I'm working to increase the framerate of my client so it doesn't chug so much.
Ignore the music, I didn't realise fraps would grab the system audio too hehe. My client has no audio anyway..
If there's anywhere anyone would love a vid of let me know & i'll do a grab.

Cheers,
Rob

PS don't worry about me bashing a hole in the sub, it's a local copy of a grab on my machine, not the real redcrab!

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Nice Vid...nice work showcased...Thanks Rob !