IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.6.0]

by srifqi » Post

Update Indonesian Language!
Only change a little bit. Still not completed. :(
Hope I have many spare time!
https://github.com/srifqi/tutorial-loca ... master.zip
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks. I have already uploaded your changes to the Git repository. But I will only make a new release (1.7.0) if there are either a couple of other updates in other areas or if someone finishes the Indonesian translation.

As a reminder, here’s the Git repository project page of the subgame:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_tutorial_subgame.git

Yvan
IRC: Yvan
In-game: Yvan

by Yvan » Post

I've tested it, very nice for the new on Minetest. Good idea!
Ce qui se fait de grand se fait dans le silence...

nildayan

by nildayan » Post

Hi, I'm a new Minetest player and am very interested in a Tutorial. I installed Minetest 0.4.9 from the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS apt-get default repository, and I installed the mods with:

Code: Select all

sudo unzip tutorial1.6.0.zip -d /usr/share/games/minetest/
I checked, and that does put the files in the right locations under .../minetest/games/tutorial/ and .../minetest/worlds/Tutorial\ World/

I'm able to start minetest per normal -- no abnormal errors on startup. I can create a new Tutorial game just fine, and then get an error when I try to Play the game:

Darkage Tutorial Edition [darkage] has loaded!
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __   
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_ 
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  |  
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__|  
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/        
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: World at [/home/nildayan/.minetest/worlds/Tutorial]
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="tutorial" listening on port 51471.
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set_local_animation' (a nil value)
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: 	...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: in function <...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:143>
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: 	/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:330: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:318>
Loaded texture: /usr/share/games/minetest/games/tutorial/menu/header.png
I've tried reinstalling the game and all mods from scratch, and I get the same error. Can I get a tutorial for installing and starting the Tutorial? ;-) Do I need to use a more current version of Minetest, and if so, could someone point me to a Q&D guide on getting it up and running?

Thank you for your work, and I really look forward to learning more about the game!

-- Nildayan

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Judging by Wuzzy, you are going to have to update to latest Minetest. 0.4.10 works fine.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, 0.4.10 is required. You must update to 0.4.10, otherwise, the tutorial does not work.
Luckily, you can add a PPA for your Ubuntu installation, which might help you to install version 0.4.10. Here is the data:
https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdev ... ntu/stable

Also: You don’t need to install the tutorial system-wide. You can just put it into $HOME/.minetest (where “$HOME” is your home directory). This is the preferred way, and Ubuntu gets really angry if you manually install files into /usr (based on my experience).

Oh, and I really hoped to include this tutorial to Minetest directly (without all that installation stuff), but the developers mostly ignored it so far. :-( I don’t know what’s wrong.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Nildayan, run the following script made by Callinou:
Calinou wrote:This is an 1-line script that downloads and compiles Minetest and minetest_game.

Just paste this in a terminal, type your password when it's required – this assumes you use sudo to use administrator commands (which is the default in Ubuntu/Mint), the password is required only once:

If you don't know which one to use, use the non-portable one: the portable one is meant to be put on an USB drive or similar to play on several PCs with only one installation.

For non-portable installs (puts user data in ~/.minetest):

sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); sudo make install; minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by typing \"minetest\" in a terminal or selecting it in an applications menu.\nYou can install mods in ~/.minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"
For "portable" installs (puts user data in program data directory):

sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); cd ../bin; ./minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by double-clicking \"minetest\" in the \"bin\" folder of the \"minetest\" folder in your home folder.\nYou can install mods in ~/minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"
This automatically runs Minetest when done and tells you the Minetest binary can be found in ~/minetest/bin.

nildayan

by nildayan » Post

Thank you, Inocudom, that one-liner did it exactly. All I had to do after installing that was doing an unzip of tutorial1.6.0.zip into ~/.minetest, and it came right up! Perfect!

Wuzzy, I'll add the PPA after I take the Tutorial for a spin -- that looks like a good way to stay up to date. Thanks for the doc! You have my vote for inclusion in the base package, since it can feel kind of like being dropped in a fjord to learn to sink or swim. At least there aren't any aggro mobs in vanilla...

You folks rock! :-)

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

This seems to be broken. There are no entities at all while some of the signs clearly indicate that there should be.

I am running version 26cf98ccfc70909be916d29f0cc480f6929cbb08 of Minetest with tutorial stuff from tutorial1.6.0.zip.

A good example is here; I found nothing on the tables. This happens in a tutorial world loaded the first time, and on all following loads of the world too: (A full verbose log of me walking to the location of this screenshot is here: http://fpaste.org/154089/41695654/)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

@c55: I believed that those are dropped items. They are 'cubed' and thus disappear after you exit. Wuzzy will have to use itemframes/pedestals to keep the the items actually there.

Edit: @Wuzzy: Did you get in contact with Dan Duncombe? I would like to talk to him, so I can change the license of castle+ to MIT or something better. I realize some things about GPL that I don't really like.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, those are dropped items (__builtin:item). And yes, on those tables there should be definitely item entities.

That’s weird, celeron55. I thought I already have solved the issue of not appearing or disappearing items.
I have created the tutorial completely in 0.4.10. And I assure you the items work in 0.4.10.

But I just tested it in ec5188a49a2ae5d69b8ab0df51ba1086b51e7891 and I was able to reproduce this weird behaviour.

I have searched your log for “__buildin:item” and “default:gold_ingot”. Messages like this appeared a couple of times:

01:00:16: INFO[ServerThread]: LuaEntitySAO::create(name="__builtin:item" state="return { ["itemstring"] = "default:gold_ingot", ["age"] = 1294.0020037125 }")
(such messages start at line 1784)
So the iteams certainly appear, I guess.

Beginning from line 2054, i found this:

01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ServerEnvironment::activateObjects(): activated static object pos=(98.9346,1.5212,61.9402) type=7
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ServerEnvironment::addActiveObjectRaw(): Added id=19; there are now 2 active objects.
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_add: id=19 name="__builtin:item"
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_activate: id=19
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: virtual std::string LuaEntitySAO::getStaticData()
01:00:26: INFO[ServerThread]: collisionMoveSimple: WARNING: maximum step interval exceeded, lost movement details!
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ObjectRef::l_remove(): id=19
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_rm: id=19
I found similar messages in other places (but without the warning). It looks like the entities are removed shortly after they have been added. :(

I also made sure (I hope so!) that dropped items never disappear automatically by adding “item_entity_ttl = -1” (this was already there) to the minetest.conf in the the tutorial subgame. The item entities must not disappear by timeout under any circumstances (there are just a few dozens of dropped items in Tutorial World, so it should not be a performance issue).

I certainly do not want to use fancy mods like itemframes. I just want to have the builtin item entities readily available to be taken, like any other item entity. Adding fancy mods just adds noise and confusion.

Yes, I got in contact with Dan Dumcombe and I was allowed to distribute the Castle+ mod under any licence I want. I chose WTFPL.

I believed that those are dropped items. They are 'cubed' and thus disappear after you exit.
This does not make any sense. Why should the items disappear just because the items are “cubed”?

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but when I exited a world, and left it alone, all the dropped (or cubed as I called them at first... Habit :P ) items seemed to disappear. Still, I have only used itemframes since 0.4.9, so it doesn't really matter, but still...

If you could PM me a way to get in contact with him (DanD), that would be great. I tried PM-ing him a while ago, and he never got back to me.

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

I know I'm late to the party on this one but this tutorial is fun. I can't believe it's not bundled with the game.

It reminds me a bit like Halflife and it's training level. All that being said, why isn't there a separate forum just for those new to the game?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Lol, the tutorial is like the training level of Half-Life? Oh, that’s a complete coincidence! I never played Half-Life.

I think the subforum “Bugs and Problems” would be the closest one for newbies:
viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, and I hope I can find a solution for the tutorial-breaking bug soon. I will make some more research on that.

Edit:
With help in IRC, I guess I have found the source of the problem reported by celeron55: I have set item_entity_ttl to -1 (meaning items shall not disappear) in the subgame’s minetest.conf. However, someone told me that in development version of Minetest reading this file does not work anymore. I have tested this and it is indeed true. This would explain the disappearing of items: Since Minetest fails to read minetest.conf, it uses the default value of item_entity_ttl, which is 900. I know that all item entities in Tutorial World are way older than 900 seconds, so Minetest immediately has removed them.

I have opened an issue, which is already tagged as “bug” by PilzAdam, here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

So I hope if this engine bug gets fixed, the tutorial items should work in development version again.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I hope this gets fixed. It will help new users very much. Great work Wuzzy!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Lol, the tutorial is like the training level of Half-Life? Oh, that’s a complete coincidence! I never played Half-Life.

I think the subforum “Bugs and Problems” would be the closest one for newbies:
viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, and I hope I can find a solution for the tutorial-breaking bug soon. I will make some more research on that.

Edit:
With help in IRC, I guess I have found the source of the problem reported by celeron55: I have set item_entity_ttl to -1 (meaning items shall not disappear) in the subgame’s minetest.conf. However, someone told me that in development version of Minetest reading this file does not work anymore. I have tested this and it is indeed true. This would explain the disappearing of items: Since Minetest fails to read minetest.conf, it uses the default value of item_entity_ttl, which is 900. I know that all item entities in Tutorial World are way older than 900 seconds, so Minetest immediately has removed them.

I have opened an issue, which is already tagged as “bug” by PilzAdam, here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

So I hope if this engine bug gets fixed, the tutorial items should work in development version again.
Well not just like it. Just that it's a playable tutorial learing and applying what you learned.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Good news!

It appears the bug about minetest.conf has been fixed and the Tutorial works for me again in Git revision e4e4324a30d6bcac5cc06c74e955e4941b14bd38.
And this means that items are not gone anymore in the tutorial, I have tested that. You have to re-install the world to test this for yourselves.

However, I have no idea how this bug got fixed, maybe by accident?
If you’re a developer, checkout the discussion here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

Don

by Don » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Good news!

It appears the bug about minetest.conf has been fixed and the Tutorial works for me again in Git revision e4e4324a30d6bcac5cc06c74e955e4941b14bd38.
And this means that items are not gone anymore in the tutorial, I have tested that. You have to re-install the world to test this for yourselves.

If you’re a developer, checkout the discussion here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957
Great. It will be awesome to have this included in Minetest.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Good news!

Don't tease me man .... very cool to hear!!

lansney
In-game: lansney

by lansney » Post

very interessting !! i wish this can be added in the future version !! :)
MT > MC

Wuzzy

1.7.0 released

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.7.0 released!

This is almost a pure bugfix release. I release it to clean up stuff for Minetest 0.4.11.

Changelog:
  • Update to Indonesian translation (thanks, srifqi!)
  • Rescaled the icon for better display in menu (The icon started too look weird in 0.4.11)
  • Fix misplaced formspec labels (Minetest 0.4.11 broke them)
I also want to inform you that the tutorial works just fine in 0.4.11. The bug reported by celeron55 was an engine bug and it has been fixed.
Attachments
tutorial1.7.0.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 163 times

Don

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.7.0]

by Don » Post

+1

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

Good job! I look forward to seeing this bundled with Minetest for many reasons.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I get this error :

11:51:45: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/init.lua:
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:48: Invalid line in auth.txt: "singleplayer::"
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'error'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:48: in function 'read_auth_file'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/auth.lua:82: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/init.lua:19: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/init.lua:25: in main chunk
11:51:45: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
Could someone help me ? Others maps works, and I don't understand what is wrong in auth.txt.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Gael de Sailly used a non-stable bleeding-edge version of Minetest. This is a bug in Minetest, not in the tutorial and it will hopefully be fixed.

If you use any developer version after 0.4.11 and experience this bug, there is a workaround: Simply delete auth.txt in the Tutorial World folder. Minetest will generate a new one when you load the world.