A need to clearify Minetest Version

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

A need to clearify Minetest Version

by Don » Post

I have noticed that people are having troubles with mods because of the version of Minetest they are using. Is there a way we can note the minimum version needed. An example of this would be mesh nodes. As it stands the official release does not support it. If someone was to try to use a mod like christmastrees it would not work.
If there was a way to tag them or even simply add version to title it would redude confusion.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: A need to clearify Minetest Version

by Krock » Post

Don't worry. Just use 0.4.10-dev as minimal version.
0.4.11 gets released soon.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Don

by Don » Post

Krock wrote:Don't worry. Just use 0.4.10-dev as minimal version.
0.4.11 gets released soon.
This does not help new comers. I know I can download and compile the latest but someone new to minetest has no idea that some mods won't work because they use features only available in the dev version.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Its already in the mod release guide lines. The mod developer is supposed to provide such information in the release.

Don

by Don » Post

Napiophelios wrote:Its already in the mod release guide lines. The mod developer is supposed to provide such information in the release.
My apologies. I missed that.

Don

by Don » Post

I looked over this page viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271 and found nothing about the minetest version. Does this page need updated or is the version not a requirement?

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Don wrote:I looked over this page viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271 and found nothing about the minetest version. Does this page need updated or is the version not a requirement?

Its inferred information;
If your mod requires a certain build of Minetest to function properly,
then the build version should be listed as a Mod dependency

Don

by Don » Post

Napiophelios wrote:
Don wrote:I looked over this page viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271 and found nothing about the minetest version. Does this page need updated or is the version not a requirement?

Its inferred information;
If your mod requires a certain build of Minetest to function properly,
then the build version should be listed as a Mod dependency
This is not a requirement though. It leaves it up to the modder to decide if they want to or not. The reason I bring this up is because I have helped a few people install Minetest. They like the game but don't understand why things don't work.
An example is homedecor. It is listed in the Mods section but uses mesh nodes. This will only work on the dev version. If someone decides to try minetest they would go to the website and download it. That version is minetest 0.4.10. Then they install mods like homedecor which will not work properly. The solution is get the dev version from github. Only a very small percentage of the population knows how to download and compile the game. Most don't even know what a terminal is.
Thinking of new or non technical players, if the have the latest stable version they should be able to use the mods that are in the Mods section.