[Mod] worldedge [worldedge]

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

[Mod] worldedge [worldedge]

by Don » Post

worldedge is a mod that teleports the player to the other side of the world when they reach the edge.

When the player walks past 30000 in any direction they will be teleported to the other side of the world as if they walked around the world.

Krock has made it so when you teleport to the other side you will be at ground height.

This mod was created by Amaz and modified by Krock.

License - DWYWPL
Dependencies - none
Download - worldedge
Github - worldedge

Tested on Minetest 0.4.10
Last edited by Don on Wed Mar 23, 2016 21:31, edited 3 times in total.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: [Mod]worldedge

by Napiophelios » Post

oooh, I can use this to limit my worlds size?
I wanna trap my players to a smaller game area.

Don

by Don » Post

Napiophelios wrote:oooh, I can use this to limit my worlds size?
I wanna trap my players to a smaller game area.
Yes. Just edit init.lua change the first 2 lines to the size you want. Make the second a few smaller so they don't keep teleporting. It is not perfect but it works.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Nice it works well,
except I keep teleporting inside nodes.
I think its an easy fix tho.

Don

by Don » Post

Napiophelios wrote:Nice it works well,
except I keep teleporting inside nodes.
I think its an easy fix tho.
you get teleported to the same height as what you was at. If you can find a way to fix this I will added it.

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

Wow

Don

by Don » Post

AMMOnym wrote:Wow
Yes. Amaz is Amazing

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

It's possible to use noise to precalculate terrain before it is generated, so that the player can be placed at the surface on teleportation, it's complex though, see my 'spawnplayer' functions in my recent mapgens for examples. I'm a bit busy at the moment to do this for this mod.

Don

by Don » Post

paramat wrote:It's possible to use noise to precalculate terrain before it is generated, so that the player can be placed at the surface on teleportation, it's complex though, see my 'spawnplayer' functions in my recent mapgens for examples. I'm a bit busy at the moment to do this for this mod.
Unfortunately I know nothing about mapgen. If you are about to do it I would be happy. I know you are very good with mapgen. Maybe you can put it on you "if I get bored" list. I think this mod could be really good but I do not have the skills to do it.

If anyone wants to improve this mod please do so.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

paramat wrote:It's possible to use noise to precalculate terrain before it is generated, so that the player can be placed at the surface on teleportation, it's complex though, see my 'spawnplayer' functions in my recent mapgens for examples. I'm a bit busy at the moment to do this for this mod.
Would it keep the mgv6 look (caves, cliffs,…) at the map corners?

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

https://github.com/DonBatman/worldedge/pull/1

I will add a terrain height detection when I've got time.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Don

by Don » Post

Krock wrote:https://github.com/DonBatman/worldedge/pull/1

I will add a terrain height detection when I've got time.
Thanks for that. It is now merged.

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

I love this mod Don. Really use for when got a flat world. I might use this in my massive city. but First would need update the world a bit get work better.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Don

by Don » Post

Alt. Tester wrote:I love this mod Don. Really use for when got a flat world. I might use this in my massive city. but First would need update the world a bit get work better.
Thank Amaz. He wrote it. And Krock for his help.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Don i never get bored hehe.
Hybrid Dog wrote:Would it keep the mgv6 look (caves, cliffs,…) at the map corners?
Yes there will be no change to the mapgen, the method would be similar to how player spawnpoint is chosen: use mapgen parameters and noise to precalculate the ground level at the teleport destination before that terrain is generated. You have to know exactly where to teleport to before teleporting.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

paramat wrote:Don i never get bored hehe.
Hybrid Dog wrote:Would it keep the mgv6 look (caves, cliffs,…) at the map corners?
Yes there will be no change to the mapgen, the method would be similar to how player spawnpoint is chosen: use mapgen parameters and noise to precalculate the ground level at the teleport destination before that terrain is generated. You have to know exactly where to teleport to before teleporting.
ok, l thought that you would change the map at the other side, where the player becomes teleported at, that it looks exactly like the current place and so the player doesn't notice teleporting.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Don

by Don » Post

@paramat - if I had your skills I would not get bored either.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:ok, l thought that you would change the map at the other side, where the player becomes teleported at, that it looks exactly like the current place and so the player doesn't notice teleporting.
That could only possibly be done in a lua mapgen, with a core mapgen the terrain will always be different when you teleport.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Actually, it would be cool if you were to make it so the magpen would wrap around. That way, there would be possiblilty to make the world wrap around.

Offtopic: That feature could also make it possible to have different world modes. You could have it so there would be a wrap around world, and an infinite flat world... Just some cool ideas that have been thought of.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

philipbenr wrote:Actually, it would be cool if you were to make it so the magpen would wrap around. That way, there would be possiblilty to make the world wrap around.

Offtopic: That feature could also make it possible to have different world modes. You could have it so there would be a wrap around world, and an infinite flat world... Just some cool ideas that have been thought of.
some time ago l tried to make my own mg noises
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&p=158729#p158729
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&start=2625#p158957

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

paramat wrote:...
That could only possibly be done in a lua mapgen, with a core mapgen the terrain will always be different when you teleport.
I have always wondered wether such a transportation mod could not be combined with a restricted mapgen of sorts. This special "mapgen" could force a certain terrain along the predefined borders but leave all other parts of the map/world to what ever other mapgen is doing the job.

Such a border could be for example a broad stretch of desert that gradually draws to a certain hight that fits to the corresponding edge on the other side. My favourite version though would be a nice surrounding ocean of considerable depth and width. I guess other things such as a stretch of grassy plains or a high mountain ridge should also be possible. At least in theory. It might be usefull to restrict interaction in the borderlands to avoid people trying to build structures over the border.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

twoelk wrote:
paramat wrote:...
I have always wondered wether this could not be combined with a restricted mapgen of sorts. This special "mapgen" could force a certain terrain along the predefined borders but leave all other parts of the map/world to what ever other mapgen is doing the job.

Such a border could be for example a broad stretch of desert that gradually draws to a certain hight that fits to the corresponding edge on the other side. My favourite version though would be a nice surrounding ocean of considerable depth and width. I guess other things such as a stretch of grassy plains or a high mountain ridge or a deep forest should also be possible. At least in theory. It might be usefull to restrict interaction in the borderlands to avoid people trying to build structures over the border.
this:

could be used as an approximate height map:

for the whole world
Attachments
part2.png
part2.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
part1.png
part1.png (314.72 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

lol
I had just edited out the forests as I don't think trees in the borderlands would work well :-D

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

paramat wrote:That could only possibly be done in a lua mapgen, with a core mapgen the terrain will always be different when you teleport.
What i mean of course is it could be done in a new core mapgen as well.
Also yes a mod could add matching borderlands to a core mapgen.

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:<snip>
I have a better solution. Gradually blend your perlin noise values with the values on the opposite side of the world for chunks near the edge. Choose a distance which is large compared to the features in your terrain gen, then gradually blend from one side to the other over that distance. Blocks exactly on the edge should be a 50-50 mix of the terrain from each side.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.