Favorite mod or subgame or feature?

leeminer

Favorite mod or subgame or feature?

by leeminer » Post

I'm pretty new to Minetest and have been testing some mods and games out. I want to know what your favorite mod or subgame or feature is?

Is there any mod that showed you the posibilities of modding Minetest? Any that wowed you? Any that surprised you?

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

Re: Favorite mod or subgame or feature?

by Kilarin » Post

the Skytest game based on the Skylands mod. Here is my journal of exploring Skytest for the first time.

It's hard to describe how absolutely awe inspiring the views are when you are peaking over, under, and through floating islands. You can see the clouds drifting by far below, and see where islands cast shadows on each other.

I also really love Carts in single player.

In multiplayer I have been playing mostly in Xanadu based on the Ethereal Mod

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I tend to like highly technical mods that let you make automated systems, so I would definitely recommend Pipeworks, Technic, and Mesecons, but only try them after you're familiar with the core game. You really need to read up on the documentation for them to be much use without frustration.

I also really like terrain editing mods, but to refrain from self-referencing, I'll recommend paramat's Watershed mod. That one really makes some amazing terrain that far surpasses the default mgv6.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:I tend to like highly technical mods that let you make automated systems, so I would definitely recommend Pipeworks, Technic, and Mesecons, but only try them after you're familiar with the core game. You really need to read up on the documentation for them to be much use without frustration.

I also really like terrain editing mods, but to refrain from self-referencing, I'll recommend paramat's Watershed mod. That one really makes some amazing terrain that far surpasses the default mgv6.
I agree that Pipeworks, Technic, and Mesecons are awesome.
I think the best part of Minetest is the community. Everyone works together and helps each other.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

There are so many mods out there it's hard to pick up a favorite one. Most of them do their job very well and are needed for what they do. Some amazing mapgens like i.e. what the Eden game contained and what is now in Dreambuilder is very awe-inspiring nature, or the Caverealms mod with its huge caves filled with glowing blocks. Or Moontest with its impressive background image. Plenty of other mods are less showy but equally valued. I try to give feedback whenever I encounter a new mod that looks intresting. If you're looking for mods you might like, just visit some servers. That's a good way to learn more about mods you didn't take into consideration before. I learned of quite a lot of mods that way.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

I would definitely have to recommend the Technic Mod. It adds machines and tools that you can use which can really make the gameplay much more interesting.

I also recommended you check out my Youtube series Minetest Mod Showcase, as it showcases a bunch of interesting Minetest mods.