Rename minetest_game

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Rename minetest_game

by Wuzzy » Post

I suggest to rename the current default Minetest subgame, which is often referred to as “minetest_game” or “vanilla Minetest game” (in the community wiki). In game.cfg, the subgame is just called “Minetest”, like the engine.

The subgame lacks a “real” name, one that does not sound too technical and is not equal to the name of the engine.

It is easy for newbies to conflate both minetest_game and Minetest (the engine), partly because of the same/similar name.

IMO the new name should not be “Minetest”. The name should avoid confusion with the engine. But I have no concrete ideas, sadly. Does anyone have ideas for a better name for minetest_game?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Rename minetest_game

by Krock » Post

How about Official subgame?
It's included by default and developed officially.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Baggypants
GitHub: Baggypants

by Baggypants » Post

Mineland

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

minetest_demo or game_demo

Self explanatory to new users. It's a minimum game that gets them up and running enough to use the engine. Also implies there are other (and arguably more polished) games available.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

ExeterDad wrote:minetest_demo or game_demo
<snip>
minimum game that gets <snip>
Are you talking about the minimal developement test game?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:It is easy for newbies to conflate both minetest_game and Minetest (the engine), partly because of the same/similar name.
The main problem is, that even by more experienced users and in the documentation, the terms “Minetest” and “minetest_game” are used synonymous.

If it would be 100 percent clear in usage of the terms and in the documentation that “Minetest” refers to the engine and explicitly excluding the game itself and “minetest_game” only refers to the game itself and explicitly excluding the engine it would be all fine :)

Maybe rename “Minetest” to “Minetest Engine” and “minetest_game” to “Minetest Game” and use “Minetest” for the combination of “Minetest Engine” and “Minetest Game” for having better names.

Other games for “Minetest Engine” could be called “Minetest XYZ” without breaking naming conventions.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Krock wrote: Are you talking about the minimal developement test game?
Negative Sir,
Talking about the official game. All the new users (including myself in the beginning) seem disappointed that there is little to do and nothing to fight. If demo is within the name, they will know that there is so much more that can be done with the game. Whether it's installing mods to customize the game, or install another sub game outright.

On that note (yet offtopic), a subgame download and install tab would be a nice feature on the main screen.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Maybe rename “Minetest” to “Minetest Engine” and “minetest_game” to “Minetest Game” and use “Minetest” for the combination of “Minetest Engine” and “Minetest Game” for having better names.

Other games for “Minetest Engine” could be called “Minetest XYZ” without breaking naming conventions.
I like that idea.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

But don't it called "minetest_game" since it Is Minetest and the Game is the Game. But whatever reaname it to would need lots of rewrite. like minetest.register and so on.

Furthermore I think the Folder it self needs an "_" to load right? Well I don't add it but It since I use windows and I never had an Fail cannot find folder yet.

But I sometimes rename my minetest_game folder to master_game. and the game.conf Minetest part to Official Minetest.

Another idea ;)
MT-MESE Engine

Also Minetest Needs a new Concept Design maybe in 2015.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Alt. Tester wrote:But whatever reaname it to would need lots of rewrite. like minetest.register and so on.
You register stuff to the Minetest engine (minetest) so it can be used by the game (minetest_game). What’s the problem with that?

I’m pretty sure you can write a game for Minetest (the engine) that establishes an own engine that accepts mods and you can create a function/class/thing called mymod.register() for being easily distinguishable from the register function for the Minetest engine.

lansney
In-game: lansney

by lansney » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:It is easy for newbies to conflate both minetest_game and Minetest (the engine), partly because of the same/similar name.
The main problem is, that even by more experienced users and in the documentation, the terms “Minetest” and “minetest_game” are used synonymous.

If it would be 100 percent clear in usage of the terms and in the documentation that “Minetest” refers to the engine and explicitly excluding the game itself and “minetest_game” only refers to the game itself and explicitly excluding the engine it would be all fine :)

Maybe rename “Minetest” to “Minetest Engine” and “minetest_game” to “Minetest Game” and use “Minetest” for the combination of “Minetest Engine” and “Minetest Game” for having better names.

+42 , CAN be a very good idea to clarify and structurate things ...
MT > MC

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Furthermore I think the Folder it self needs an "_" to load right?
No. Also, the folder name does not matter much. You can set the human-readable name in game.cfg.

Oh, besides: I am only talking about the *real* name for the subgame, not the internal one used for the folder or whatever. And “minetest_game” simply sounds too technical for me.

“Mineland” sounds interesting, but also too gamey. This sub“game” is not a game in the strict sense. The name would be great if it would be actually a game, but sadly it is not.
I don't like “Minetest Game” for the same reason.

I like “Minetest Demo” (“minetest_demo” may be the internal name used for the folder), because for a game, it is admittedly too shallow (first, it is not a game in the strict sense: It is mainly a sandbox with no goals, secondly, there are no challenges, etc. etc. etc. A game has goals and it is all about meaningful decisions.). Also as far I know the developers of this subgame are seeing it more as a “base to mod the hell out of it” and it has also been decided to not add mobs in this subgame. So it is unlikeley this sub“game” will ever become a game by itself alone.

But the word “Demo” is also problematic, because it is also a term from the proprietary software world for crippled software, as opposed to the “full version” (read: the uncrippled version). Players could probably run away screaming as soon as they see the word “Demo”. (“What? I thought it was free! Now this is just a stupid demo! Stupid liars! I delete this.”)

Maybe “Minetest Demonstration”, “Minetest Example Game” or just “Demonstration”.

What would be actually needed is a name which conveys:
  • It's not a game
  • It's a sandbox (building and mining stuff are the most which you can do for now)
  • It is intended to be a base for modding
“Minetest Base” or “Base” would be cool, but the first name is already taken and “Base” is too similar.

Maybe “Foundation”. This name does not sound as if the sub“game” it refers to were a game. Also, “Foundation” can be understood in the sense of “that thing on which you build houses on” (lol), so it conveys the sandbox block-building meaning. But it can also be understood as the technical foundation for mods. There are also limits, what is not so clear here that the name could be falsely understoof that this subgame is a requirement for modding. But probably the documentation shoud make that clear anyways. IMO far to many mods depend on the default sub“game”.
Clearly NOT “Minetest Foundation”, it could be understood as if it were the foundation OF Minetest, lol.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:What would be actually needed is a name which conveys:
  • It's not a game
  • It's a sandbox (building and mining stuff are the most which you can do for now)
  • It is intended to be a base for modding
“Minetest Base” or “Base” would be cool, but the first name is already taken and “Base” is too similar.
“Minetest Sandbox”?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest Vanilla
Minetest VanillaBox

Hello profile reader

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

+1 to VanillaBox

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Why not just "Minetest Vanilla" or "Vanilla Minetest" (whatever works better in English)? Or "Common base game" could work as well. The name as such is less important than telling people that there's more out there and where and how they can easily locate and install what they like.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I made this discussion into an GitHub issue:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/437

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Everything sounds strange. Minetest Vanilla is IMO the best of all those suggestions

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yeah, “Minetest Vanilla” sounds indeed like a good option, I would not oppose it if such a name is chosen.

Of course many names sound strange because most ideas come from brainstorming. ;-)

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Post

We could always just revert the name back to Minetest NeXt.

Since the eventual goal is to have multiple games bundled with the engine. It would probably be better to avoid using terms that would give it more weight than the others. Such as official, default or vanilla.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I agree. The included sub games shouldn't make them thing "oh, this is the main minetest game" they should different varying purposes. You'd need ability for a description and a screenshot like in the mod store.

Hello profile reader

Zoig
In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Post

What about simple_game as a name?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I think that Vanilla Minetest would be best.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

How about Open_Mine?
Open pit mining is a real thing and Minetest is an open source game. It also implies that it is open to modding.
Just my 2 cents worth. Factor in inflation and it is worth around 1/2 a cent.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:

I believe LinuxDirk has it right. You just need clarity in the usage of the terms.
The way he explains it is pretty much how I already understood it to be (at least I thought so)

This whole topic is based on how Wuzzy thinks new comers might be confused,
but if people download Minetest and dont find a "Minetest" game inside they will be confused...maybe even pissed.

Who downloads minecraft to play the "diggingdanistheman-demo_game" nobody
You download Minecraft to play Minecraft and you download Minetest to play Minetest.
its pretty simple.

And calling it vanilla or basic or whatever just undermines the game

I think some things should just be left alone.
Of course this is just my opinion