by alps21 » Post

hey at some would you think of possibly creating tornados or tsnuami efects
oh and sory if this was already suggested i havent taken time to read comments

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

The settling of snow is server side so you could increase SETCHA if you want, perhaps double it? It looks unbalanced with the snowfall though if increased too much. Rain is WIP next version i'll stop the rain in deserts.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The current settings (not including your suggested change to SETCHA) seem to be working pretty well, at least server-side. I'm standing in the middle of a snowfall with dozens of particles around me, and I see no appreciable effect on CPU usage (it's floating at close to 15%, which is around what I should see at this moment).

The length of time that the snow falls, and the size of the area in which it falls, and the snow accumulating on the ground, are perfect! The only question now is ramping up just how many particles are falling at their peak.

As for snow on deserts, it's okay to allow rain and snow to fall and accumulate on deserts, as this does happen on occasion in real life, just don't let it fall/accumulate in the middle of a huge desert is all.

Oh, one other thing: don't change any of the current variable names or their default settings - I don't wanna have to rewrite my buildbot scripts ;-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Maybe it's just my computer, but this mod with snow falling, it sends my frame rate down about 30% lower than what I'm used to. I need settings for something like a low end machine (weather = false, I guess).

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Uh ... the raindrops seem big and too slow, they're not meant to be realistic but cute, i'll try a 4x4 pixel drop and see how it looks. These fall at 8m/s which is normal for a large raindrop, perhaps it looks slow for a ball-sized object.

VanessaE,
> don't change any of the current variable names or their default settings
:D funny
I wont change the existing variable names, default settings will certainly change best be prepared for that.

gsmanners, try reducing parameter PPPCHA slightly, this controls snowfall heaviness, number of particles.
To compensate that you can create the illusion of more snow by reducing the area they spawn over ...

Code: Select all

minetest.add_particle(
                {x=pposx-32+math.random(0,63), y=pposy+16, z=pposz-16+math.random(0,63)}, -- posi
Edit the first line of each add particle statement to that, i might even make this default. The disadvantage is that when walking at 4m/s you might out-walk the snowfall before it gets down to your level.
Last edited by paramat on Fri Jan 24, 2014 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

alps21, tornado by particles only would be very processing heavy, a funnel cloud could be made with cloud nodes easily, perhaps even moved, with a few particles around it for debris. Tsunami is again possible but im not interested in that personally.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Hmm...

I think you meant:

minetest.add_particle(
                        {x = ppos.x - 32 + math.random(0,63), y = ppos.y + 16, z = ppos.z - 16 + math.random(0,63)}, -- posi
Otherwise you'll get:
attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'pposx' (a nil value)
But, yeah. That otherwise sorts out my frame rate issue.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Good stuff! ... you must be using an earlier version, 0.2.4 has pposx.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Okay. Now, I'm caught up.

Azuna

by Azuna » Post

I wanted to know if you could make a modified version of this mod; it rains and snows in all loaded chunks periodically, sort of like seasons.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Sorry or the delayed reply, how long would these seasons be? At the moment this

local perlinp = minetest.get_perlin(813, 1, 0.5, SCALP)
    if perlinp:get2d({x = os.clock()/60, y = 0}) < PRET then
        return
    end 
controls when there is precipitation, 'os.clock' is time in seconds since server start, might have to use 'os.date' http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html#pdf-os.date instead to extract real-life time and date. Should be pretty easy ... im not interested enough to spend time on it though ;)
Last edited by paramat on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.5
Smaller, square raindrops.
A friend of mine found my beachball sized raindrops amusing, now thay're merely small-football sized. I won't be going smaller than 4x4 pixels, this is the limit for a cute astract drop with character

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] Snowfall, rainfall, settling snow [0.3.0] [snowdri

by paramat » Post

Version 0.3.0
Update particle spawn format.
Added snow heaviness parameter FLAKES.
Rain off by default as some find it rather silly, see my 'rain' mod for heavier rain.
Snow, rain twice as heavy by default, on slower computers you may need to reduce heaviness parameters FLAKES and DROPS to maintain your FPS.

I'm continuing to use a square raindrop because i prefer it, it's cuter and more abstract, in Minetest many round things are square. See VanessaE's server version for an alternative raindrop.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Does it rain or is it just snow?
I test mines.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yeah there's an option for rain, enable it by editing the init.lua file. It's disabled by default because particles are processing heavy and so the rain is too light. See my WIP 'rain' mod for a new method viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9915
It's funny how snowdrift mod stops precipitating when a player goes indoors. For rain particularly the rain mod method is better, the rain can grow plants, grow saplings etc because it's there on the server as an actual node instead of a client-side particle.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Why don't you merge your snowdrift mod with your rain mod ?
The rain of snowdrift is very poor and not very interresting like a "beta" try, while your rain mod is very... interresting and "finished" :)

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Hey, you should make it always snow on Christmas! XD
EDIT 1: Are there snow clouds?
I test mines.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

What about changing the clouds to darker color or more dense filling the sky in rain storms... maybe even thunder and lightning?
(Of course, how much realism in a game is necessary?

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Been using the mod. pretty good! 1 thing tho. Is it supposed to only EITHER rain or snow? Also no offense the rain texture is terrible. They look like bubbles. Ill post my custom texture later this week. if you want it.
I test mines.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yes it should rain or snow in a particular location, but there can be areas of snow and areas of rain in one world, this is all set by the noise parameters.

Please do post your texture here but i won't include it in the mod:
"I'm continuing to use a square raindrop because i prefer it, it's cuter and more abstract, in Minetest many [real life] round things are square. See VanessaE's server version for an alternative raindrop."
Perhaps due to MC people expect a long linelike raindrop, in 'real life' this is just due to vision blurring, i don't like including any kind of vision blur in MT, your eyes do that anyway due to motion so it's redundant, it also requires a much larger texture and obscures more of the scene behind. I release my raindrop texture understanding that most players will probably prefer and use a different texture. So no offence is taken.

For better rain see my rain mod, although it may need some improvement.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Thats fine. I still say it looks like a bubble though. More round than square looking.
I test mines.

grey

by grey » Post

Does snow accumulate on top of other snow blocks?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I'm considering that, this mod needs work and i might remove the rain in the near future. I was thinking if snow lands on snow make a snowblock. There is a 'levelled' feature usable with snow but that's a little too high-resolution for me. Also i want to work on custom skyboxes for a dark sky, 2 or more will be needed to work at night too.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

How about after it stops snowing for a while, some of the snow blocks temporarily turn into water sources, creating a flood. (but only if there's a lot of snow)
I test mines.

fireuser

by fireuser » Post

That is an interesting idea,but I must object. The section of the map that is temporarily covered in water would be such a pain to go thought. Water slows your speed so much. If you are scouting out an area, (like I do) it would be a major pain.