Hosting a server

Schmeldric
In-game: Schmeldric

Hosting a server

by Schmeldric » Post

Hello,

I'm wondering how to create a server available over the internet for a project.
I don't want to host it at home, since my computer is not always running, so I contacted a web hosting enterprise (OVH) to know if they could do it. They answered me "this might require high server performance, could you give us the technical performances requires to run minetest".
Therefor I have, again, some (noobie) questions...

- what are the minimal pre-required performance (CPU? RAM? other?) to run Minetest for, say, a dozen of players;
- my account on OVH gives me a webserver (PHP), but no console in order to launch the minetest server. What's the kind of server that I need?

Thanks & merry Christmas
Schmeldric

pepprim
In-game: pepprim

Re: Hosting a server

by pepprim » Post

You will need, at least, a virtual private server (VPS) with root access (administrative privileges over the virtual operative system...). VPS is cheaper than an entire dedicated server.

Minetest it's not a web based software. Minetest engine it's written in C++. About, CPU, RAM, disk space... I can't tell you, sorry.

Good luck with your project!
Last edited by pepprim on Sat Dec 27, 2014 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

A server with 5 players and mods like mesecons, pipeworks, moreblocks and homedecor doesn't take more than 100 MB RAM and 2-20% of a 1.8 GHz dual core CPU.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

You can study some performance statistics for several servers at these sites:
Liberty Land Minetest server graphs and
VanessaE's server stats

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

I've been thinking about this for a while... can anybody recommend a good service that is free and can do what the guys wanted it to do? Not hosting it at home or using my computer?
For fast response... send me a PM

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Schmeldric: a Minetest server will require about 1 GB of RAM and 1 CPU core, although 2 GB of RAM and 2 CPU cores or more are preferable. So, a VPS will host it fine (even with other games alongside), no need for a dedicated server.

You need a server where you can host any application, not just PHP applications (shared Web hosting).

PS: do you speak French? We may continue by private message or on the Français subforum.
iDevMe wrote:I've been thinking about this for a while... can anybody recommend a good service that is free and can do what the guys wanted it to do? Not hosting it at home or using my computer?
Sadly, people are unlikely to give you hosting space and electricity for free.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Hi Schmeldric,

You speaked about OVH so, i think you're french. Im sorry but this night i haven't the time to translate my post in english AND in french, so i just write in french... (i will edit this post in the future if english translation in needed)

---
Salut Schemeldric,

Pour continuer sur la lancé de Calinou, en effet un simple server web ne suffit pas pour de nombreuses raison.
La raison la plus évidente est que sortir sur le port 80(http) et 443(ssl) ne suffit pas pour un serveur Minetest qui va sortir sur un port tel que le 30xxx (donc pas un port standardisé/prédéfini). Mais je comprend ta question, car un "serveur uniquement web" coute bien moins chère qu'un serveur VPS/dédié...

Pour les ressources CPU/RAM/DEBIT prit par un serveur Minetest je dirais simplement que :
- Pour un petite serveur (10 joueurs max / peu de "mod", voir uniquement MT_Game / sans services annexes comme un mapper, du monitoring web, etc...) un CPU simple coeur 2GHz avec 1Go de RAM suffira largement, la bande passante consommée sera ridicule;
- Pour un serveur moyen (25 joueurs max / quelques "mod", avec un subgame plus fournis que le MT_Game / sans services annexes comme un mapper, du monitoring web, etc...) un CPU double coeur 2GHz avec 2 Go de RAM suffira, la bande passante consommé, celon les mods choisit, pourra être plus ou moins importante;
- Pour un serveur grand à "illimité" (50 joueurs ou + / autant que "mod" / avec services annexes) un CPU double coeur 3GHz avec 4Go de RAM sera très bien, la bande passante consommé, celon les mods choisit, pourra être plus ou moins importante;
N'oubli pas que si tu installes ton serveur sur un système d'exploitation libre tu aura accès au SWAP, ce qui te permettra d'oublier la contrainte matériel de RAM.

Bonne soirée !

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

Schmeldric wrote:What's the kind of server that I need?
A dedicated server.
https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/

Schmeldric
In-game: Schmeldric

by Schmeldric » Post

Thanks for your answers!

I'll see with OVH what they can provide me, and if it's not too expensive I'll try it and give you feedback.

Schmeldric
PS : et merci pour les réponses en français ;)

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

I'm looking at this company

http://123systems.net/ovz.html

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

I am also looking at the 123systems hosting site. It looks perfect for me :)
For fast response... send me a PM

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

I contacted 123systems.. horrible customer service

Horrible reviews

tfranko

by tfranko » Post

The Linode 1GB plan (U.S. $10/mo.) works very well for my server:
https://www.linode.com/pricing

I'm running Carbone plus a bunch of mods added on. It's a private server, so it doesn't get a lot of players and I'm not sure how it would perform with more than 5 players online at a time. My guess is that it would perform well.

Linode has clear and helpful information about setting up a VPS as well:
https://www.linode.com/docs/getting-started

pepprim
In-game: pepprim

by pepprim » Post

For those who keep looking a provider. If we talk about Europe, the three major web hosting companies would be:

- OVH (French. They let you choose the data center location: France or the USA - At least, the spanish subsidiary does... -).

- Strato AG (German. Property of Deutsche Telekom AG).

- United Internet AG (German. With many different subsidiary brands... The most known is "1&1 Internet").

I talk about these three just because I assume that they should be the most competitive in price (cheaper). Also because probably we will find more references, reviews and ratings in other forums.

About the price, I have to say that OVH and Strato seem to be the cheapest. At least, from all that I have investigated so far.

About the service... I still have not worked with any of them. In the near future, probably will be working with OVH (not for anything about Minetest but renting a Virtual Private Server). Maybe I will post a short review then...

For now, I just can say that the sales department of spanish Strato's subsidiary is more than dissapointing, just horrible. Well, I say spanish subsidiary because they have an spanish domain and spanish translated website, an office in the spanish capital and I communicated with them in spanish... But, in fact, they say that email me from Berlin... :S (On the other hand, they offer a trial period of 30 days).

About the OVH's sales department, quite the opposite. Absolutely satisfactory. Even more, I dare to say, just brilliant (but don't offer any trial period...).

PS: OVH is especially cheaper if you don't care about automated backups...

vitaminx

by vitaminx » Post