What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by Calinou » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Calinou wrote:Use /set -n fps_max 0 (/set -n fps_max 60 to go back) to disable the FPS limit in a local game.
Limiting to <60 FPS works, but setting to 0 or setting to 100 FPS has no effect, it stays/flickers at 59/60 …
Then your driver is forcing VSync, or your minetest.conf has vsync = true in it.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The reason for this is that the human eye is not endlessly fast at recognizing images. 60 or 100 or even (hypothetical) 1000 Hz, you could literally not see the difference. If your eye is very good, maybe 65 Hz, but that's the absolute reasonable maximum.
{{citation needed}}
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Setting FPS limit to any value higher than 60 or even disabling it is absolutely just a waste of resources, therefore, a FPS limit is a good thing. The reason for this is that the human eye is not endlessly fast at recognizing images. 60 or 100 or even (hypothetical) 1000 Hz, you could literally not see the difference. If your eye is very good, maybe 65 Hz, but that's the absolute reasonable maximum.
IMO 60 Hz is absolutely enough for every game. But if your monitor supports higher frequencies, feel free to play around with the setting a bit and see for yourself if you see a real difference between 60 Hz and 144 Hz. If yes, I will call you Fly Eye. :D
Go get one of those shiny 144hz monitors yourself, then go back to 60fps. You'll instantly notice said difference. May I mention even USAF pilots can tell the difference between 150hz and 250hz.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Calinou wrote:Then your driver is forcing VSync, or your minetest.conf has vsync = true in it.
We go round in circles :)

Neither my driver is forcing vsync (no other application stops at 60 FPS, all applications that have something to do with OpenGL are 100-500 FPS, depending on what they display) nor my minetest.conf contains anything related to FPS or vsyncing.

Maybe there is a setting that only Irrlicht/Minetest respect but I actually don’t know or care because vsync was never an issue to me since ~8 years of using Linux.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Calinou wrote:Then your driver is forcing VSync, or your minetest.conf has vsync = true in it.
We go round in circles :)

Neither my driver is forcing vsync (no other application stops at 60 FPS, all applications that have something to do with OpenGL are 100-500 FPS, depending on what they display) nor my minetest.conf contains anything related to FPS or vsyncing.

Maybe there is a setting that only Irrlicht/Minetest respect but I actually don’t know or care because vsync was never an issue to me since ~8 years of using Linux.
You have to specifically make Minetest disable vsync.

Plop this line into the magic conf. (Bonus points if you get the cartoon reference.)

Code: Select all

vsync = false
Works perfectly on Windows 7.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Jordach wrote:

vsync = false
Works perfectly on Windows 7.
Doesn’t work on my machine.

$ nvidia-settings --version | grep version
nvidia-settings:  version 340.65  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-11)  Tue Dec  2 09:59:19 PST 2014

$ uname -rms
Linux 3.17.6-1-ARCH x86_64

$ minetest --version # I’m still on 0.4.10 because the repos aren’t updated yet
Minetest 0.4.10
Using Irrlicht 1.8.1
Build info: VER=0.4.10 BUILD_TYPE=Release RUN_IN_PLACE=0 USE_GETTEXT=1 USE_SOUND=1 USE_CURL=1 USE_FREETYPE=1 USE_LUAJIT=0 STATIC_SHAREDIR=/usr/share/minetest

$ grep vsync .minetest/minetest.conf 
vsync = false
As said before: Other OpenGL applications are not limited so it’s not a driver issue.
Last edited by Linuxdirk on Thu Jan 01, 2015 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Hello Jordach aka Fly Eye.
;-)

Well, I guess I better take back what I have said about FPS and stuff. xD

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Well, I guess I better take back what I have said about FPS and stuff. xD
As long as it is greater than or equal to my monitor’s refresh rate I don’t care much. I’m just curious why Minetest is the only OpenGL application on my machine that uses vsync.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Wuzzy wrote:If your eye is very good, maybe 65 Hz, but that's the absolute reasonable maximum.
Seems you didn't use to have an old CRT monitior.
That thing made me notice flickering at any frequency below 100Hz.
My current TV is LCD, of cource, but I still can see flickering (when a certain conditions are met) wht the refresh rate is below 72Hz.

It doesn't mean I'm against fps limit.
I'm against "generalizing".

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Post

There are two closely related features which I think would be very useful for mods and general playability.

The first is a better API for creating user interfaces and forms in the game. Currently the only possible interaction is moving items around, typing in text boxes, and pressing buttons, and even those have problems sometimes. It'd be a lot of work, but I'd like to see something like the GTK+ API which gives modders access to a greater variety of UI elements and allows callback functions to run when the user triggers certain events. The particular use I was thinking of was a magic spell creation and enchanting interface which effectively works like a graphical programming language or circuit diagram editor. Obviously something that complicated isn't currently possible.

The other feature is better client/server separation in mods. It would be great if some user interface tasks could be run entirely client-side, with updates only being sent to the server when something interesting happens. This would fix the annoying bug where items can briefly appear to disappear or be duplicated while transferring them to/from an inventory. It would also allow more complex interaction with user interfaces without creating lag or unnecessary network traffic.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ArguablySane wrote:There are two closely related features which I think would be very useful for mods and general playability.

The first is a better API for creating user interfaces and forms in the game. Currently the only possible interaction is moving items around, typing in text boxes, and pressing buttons, and even those have problems sometimes. It'd be a lot of work, but I'd like to see something like the GTK+ API which gives modders access to a greater variety of UI elements and allows callback functions to run when the user triggers certain events. The particular use I was thinking of was a magic spell creation and enchanting interface which effectively works like a graphical programming language or circuit diagram editor. Obviously something that complicated isn't currently possible.

The other feature is better client/server separation in mods. It would be great if some user interface tasks could be run entirely client-side, with updates only being sent to the server when something interesting happens. This would fix the annoying bug where items can briefly appear to disappear or be duplicated while transferring them to/from an inventory. It would also allow more complex interaction with user interfaces without creating lag or unnecessary network traffic.
This is all planned for 0.5, by some core dev or another.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This is all planned for 0.5, by some core dev or another.
Ah, wonderful, thanks. I eagerly await whatever they come up with.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

ArguablySane wrote:where items can briefly appear to disappear or be duplicated while transferring them to/from an inventory.
This isn’t only limited to playing on servers (actually the local game is a server, too … but you know what I mean). Even when playing in singleplayer moving items around is EXTREMELY laggy. On my machine it takes up to 3 seconds.

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
ArguablySane wrote:where items can briefly appear to disappear or be duplicated while transferring them to/from an inventory.
This isn’t only limited to playing on servers (actually the local game is a server, too … but you know what I mean). Even when playing in singleplayer moving items around is EXTREMELY laggy. On my machine it takes up to 3 seconds.

+1
This issue is confusing even for me. When you tell the computer to do something, it should do it as expected. At the very least, put an hourglass animation so you know it is "thinking".

Don

by Don » Post

leeminer wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:

+1
This issue is confusing even for me. When you tell the computer to do something, it should do it as expected. At the very least, put an hourglass animation so you know it is "thinking".
Even if it just visually did it and then did the thinking. Not sure if that is possible but it would make a lot of people happy
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

superschizo
In-game: uberdorf

by superschizo » Post

My personal experience is that minecraft is more kid-friendly. Minetest is way too complicated for my 7 year old. Even after we showed him how to add mods, he adds way too many mods for the computer to handle and complains about minetest being laggy, lol. He just isn't old enough to handle the extra abilities of minetest. So he prefers to play minecraft on the consoles and begs for minecraft on the pc (which is not likely for us to get). Get the kids involved, and the parents will follow I think out of curiosity of what their kids are doing and the desire to spend time with their kids.

Having said that, as for me, I prefer minetest due to being able to customize the game and the price :) From seeing the youtube minecraft videos that my kids watch, it seems that the minecraft servers for now have more in quantity and variety than minetest, probably due to the millions who have played minecraft vs the number who play minetest.

My wife's opinion is that minetest lacks the solid graphics and bright colors of minecraft. Of course minecraft has a paid staff to develop and unify these features. I could see this also appealing to kids.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

superschizo wrote:My wife's opinion is that minetest lacks the solid graphics and bright colors of minecraft. Of course minecraft has a paid staff to develop and unify these features. I could see this also appealing to kids.
It is possible to use Minecraft textures on Minetest, you can automate this task by writing or using a converter script.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Calinou wrote:It is possible to use Minecraft textures on Minetest, you can automate this task by writing or using a converter script.
You can even change* the font to a Minetest-like font.

* The GUI’s scaling abilities are horrible and far away from being intuitive or even valid or consistent, but if you fiddle around with the various settings you can make it actually look okay-ish when using a different font than the default one …

M.Tester

by M.Tester » Post

Hi,

I installed MineTest as alternative to MineCraft for my son.
Minetest is good, very good.
A well done job, and a big thanks to all developers.
My son played many hours with Minetest, but still asked for MineCraft, so I bought it.
And as I compare them ...

In this discussion, I must agree that MineCraft has a serious avantage to MineTest.
You don't have to be a IT'er to install it or to use it.

It is fantastic that you can change MineTest as you wish.
Everyone can contribute with mods, ...
You can change the installed mods to your wishes.

But that is also the problem with MineTest.
I had a lot of concernes/problems installing mods:
- Changing the name of the upzipped directory.
- Placing the directory in the correct place.
- Mods won't play, errors.
Upgrading MineTest to 4.11:
- Installed mods are gone. Very confusing to a child.
- Catalogue mods shows mods that will not install. Also very confusing to a child.
- Newly installed mods from the catalogue give errors on variables.

I can search and solve these problems.
But that is not what a child wants, he just wants to play.
Check or uncheck a mod: done.

So to the question why MineTest is less used than MineCraft:
MineTest has to evolve to a userfriendly environment.
Not everyone is a IT'er (I am one myself) .

I just want to give some pointers (not critic):
- the graphics and the sound are important to a child
-- maybe there could be a subgroup to MineTest that could assist developpers in adding graphics and sounds. Divide graphics and sound in categories, connected to certain biomes.
- animals are available (thanks to for example Mob Framework (Sapier)), but I must agree also here the graphics and the sound are important to a child.
- the mods catalogue could be divided in 3 or more tabs/groups
-- 1 = tested and adapted with sound and graphics and approved for mayor release
-- 2 = ...
-- 3 = not tested/experimental
- if a mod needs other mods, install them also automatic and activate only the items in the other mods that are needed.

In the forums and the answers I read a lot "you can change, you can download, ...".
Indeed, I can change things and I can download other files.
But to a child, if he has to do all that, it is not a game, it is a puzzle.

Sorry if I have offended someone with my response.
But that is what is missing in MineTest.
A solid, stable and easy to use environment, certainly for a child.

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

But that is also the problem with MineTest.
I had a lot of concernes/problems installing mods:
- Changing the name of the upzipped directory.
- Placing the directory in the correct place.
True MT has a too complex UI and doesn't utilize the mod store enough. Should be a much simpler process.

Do your kids play vanilla MineCraft or do they also use mods there?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I actually did find a cool, pixely font, and replaced it, mainly by just renaming it. Actually, I would be quite happy to try and make a pixelated font that looks like Minecraft's (a bit)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

philipbenr wrote:I would be quite happy to try and make a pixelated font that looks like Minecraft's (a bit)
There are dozens of Minecraft look-alike fonts. Most are free, some are paid, and a few are plain rip-offs of the actual font.

Don

by Don » Post

My daughter plays Minecraft. It is not as easy as some say to install mods. You first have to know if you need forge or similar. You need the right version of Minecraft, forge and java.
Example is the newest forge will not work with openjdk 8. You need to downgrade to 7.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:There are dozens of Minecraft look-alike fonts. Most are free, some are paid, and a few are plain rip-offs of the actual font.
Open Font Library (especially Press Start 2P)

This may be helpful too: http://opengameart.org/content/new-orig ... collection