HDX Textures (64 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

RTB2011
In-game: RTB2011

Re: HDX Textures (16 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

by RTB2011 » Post

Standard 64-bit windows release from the homepage, though I tried others with similar luck.

How would I go about getting a backtrace? I'm sorry I'm not quite sure.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, that's the standard 0.4.11 release build, which is known to be badly bugged. Please try one of the "unofficial" builds, such as sfan5's, from here:

https://sfan5.pf-control.de/minetest-builds/?f

Get the "recommended, latest" 64 bit build, use 7zip to extract it, then just use it like you do the release build.

Since I don't use Windows I won't be able to guide you through how to use a debugger, :-/ but the Minetest core developer team will need backtrace and other crash data other than the above to figure out what's actually going on.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

Didn't work.

I also downgraded my graphics driver to a few different releases, figuring AMD screwed up some how. Nothing there either.

Sadness. :(

EDIT: I will add however, that since the upgrade to the dev release, vanilla textures seem to run crash-free.

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

It only happens when installing your normal maps. I am supposed to drag them into the texture folder, yes?

I can run insanely high settings as long as the normal maps are not installed. This could be a windows or Radeon (or both) specific issue from what I am seeing. What card do you use, if I may ask?

I could spin up a linux install and see if this issue is there as well.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You're supposed to just copy the PNG files into the same directory as HDX's regular imagery. E.g. the HDX folder would contain default_cobble.jpg, default_cobble_normal.png, and so on.

It's worth a try under Linux, I suppose, but maybe try a live boot of some kind, rather than resorting to a full install.

Also, make sure you're just using the "Bumpmapping" mode in the settings, and NOT the "Generate Normalmaps" mode. The latter is not intended for use with texture packs where you're supplying your own normalmaps from somewhere (rather, it generates them on demand using a sort of Sobel edge detect effect).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

Oh, so I don't generate them... that makes sense. May even be the issue. Stand by while I test, I'll feel like an idiot if that's it lol.

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

Bleh, didn't work still.

I need to install a Gentoo environment for several of my own coding related projects. Been meaning to do it for some time. So I'm just going to get started on that.

A full gentoo install (gui, dev tools, etc) since it is built from source will take a day or two. I will report back when done. But I don't think it is currently possible to run with those normal maps on Windows/Radeon combinations.

I'd welcome someone to prove me wrong. It could even be on all Windows combinations, though I'd like to think someone would've reported that by now.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok. Well until you get that installed, just don't use normalmaps for now I guess. :-/

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

Heh, I'm not blaming you, I needed to get to work on this anyways... I blame poorly coded closed source OS's and their corresponding drivers. ;)

Thing is, AMD's linux drivers are the stuff of nightmares, but since this seems to be a server memory allocation issue and NOT a rendering issue, it might work. It seems to me like the server is ram starved as is and the additional texture memory usage kills it. It's like windows caps it at a 8GB or so limit even with a 64-bit install.

Weird, to say the least.

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

This appears to be related to minetest and poor memory management under Windows.

Linux build runs happily. Doesn't eat as much ram either, tops out at about 7.75GBs. Normal maps and everything work.

The windows build appears to shutdown the server is texture packs use more than about 3 or so gigs... so something is definitely screwy there. A test on a nvidia GTX 580 bearing computer proved it's not Radeon specific as well, this seems to effect all windows builds and configurations.

I'm really perplexed I'm the first to report this though. Are we all by and large linux users here? I mean I like Linux, but usually it's the other way around with game support.

-RTB

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That suggests to me that your Windows install (i.e. the OS), or your Minetest build, is not 64-bit capable or the latter was built incorrectly somehow. In order to use more than about 3.5 GB of RAM, 64 bit is a requirement.

RTB2011

by RTB2011 » Post

I'm certain my install is 64-bit. I've even seen it consume more than 6GBs of texture data, albeit the server dies when it does.

It's something with the builds, and it's universal. Either that or windows is unable to allocate a contiguous chunk of memory due to fragmented ram, but I doubt that'd even matter.

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I'm using the 32px pack and the inventory images for fences are messed up. This is what I'm talking about:
screenshot_24442308.png
screenshot_24442308.png (27.91 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok, I'll fix those soon. For now, just delete the fence images from HDX.

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Okay thanks.

adub99

by adub99 » Post

Hi all. Please forgive the general level of ignorance on display here...I am a complete newbie at minetest, having only discovered it this week !
I am playing on a mac running Yosemite, and the game itself installs and runs great. I have downloaded your texture pack (512) and unzipped it. From here i have renamed it hdx512 and copied this folder to (os drive)/applications/minetest/contents/resources/bin/textures/ (im using minetest 0.4.12)

When i go to the texture tab starting a game, there is nothing in there !

Any ideas where I might be going wrong.

Thanks for any help and / or advice

Andy

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I'm afraid I can't help you with Mac OS-X, except that I can tell you that on Windows and Linux, Minetest expects textures to be in <minetest folder>/textures i.e. <minetest folder>/textures/hdx-512 or similar.

Linux will also search $HOME/.minetest/textures/ e.g. /home/vanessa/.minetest/textures/hdx-512

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

adub99 wrote:Hi all. Please forgive the general level of ignorance on display here...I am a complete newbie at minetest, having only discovered it this week !
I am playing on a mac running Yosemite, and the game itself installs and runs great. I have downloaded your texture pack (512) and unzipped it. From here i have renamed it hdx512 and copied this folder to (os drive)/applications/minetest/contents/resources/bin/textures/ (im using minetest 0.4.12)

When i go to the texture tab starting a game, there is nothing in there !

Any ideas where I might be going wrong.

Thanks for any help and / or advice

Andy
I don't know a thing about Mac but saw this come up last week. Maybe it applies to you as well?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11286#p170713

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Updates: More imagery from ccady, for various parts of the Plantlife modpack this time.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well first make sure you have enough RAM to run the texture pack. The largest size (512px) can take around 3GB for a vanilla game or server, and as much as 10 GB of RAM if you're using the full-it-has-everything git copy of HDX-512 with Dreambuilder game (or a server that uses it).

Also make your GPU is up to the task. Don't expect HDX-512 to work on an old build-in Intel device (however, the 64px size should).

Failing those things, look in the top level of your Minetest directory, there should be a file named something like "minetest.dmp", which is a dump file containing debug information.

File a bug report in the Minetest Github repository -- https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/new -- indicating exactly what you did, and exactly what happened. Include a copy of the last 50 or so lines of your debug.txt (in the same directory as the dump file, top level of the Minetest directory). Include a link to download the dump file.

Prot
GitHub: EuPhobos
In-game: EuPhobos

by Prot » Post

Hello..
I noticed an oddity. When installing normalmaps some sprites just disappear. I use the HDX-512 texturepacks. When i disable bumpmapping and generate normalmaps nothing changes, but if i remove normalmaps files (rm ~/.minetest/textures/hdx-512/*normal.*), sprites appear and work normaly.
I throw normalmap files and texturepack in one directory ~/.minetest/textures/hdx-512/ maybe I'm wrong set this?
But i see changes with and without normalmaps files, and i always disable option "generate normalmaps".
Here some screenshots:
http://postimg.org/gallery/o5ehpihc/
Last edited by Prot on Fri Aug 21, 2015 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Placing the normalmap files in the same directory as the HDX image files is correct, but you never want to enable the "generate normalmaps" feature in the settings - that's actually a special effect setting that's poorly-named (imho). All you need to enable is "bumpmapping" in that menu.

As for the sprites disappearing, what you've taken a picture of is the plantlike draw type, near as I can tell. That's a different matter entirely and sounds like some kind of engine bug - please try to reproduce it with another HDX resolution, or another texture pack such as Haven NG (which also has bumpmapping support), and file an issue against the Minetest github repository if needed.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The other resolutions of this texture pack still don't have normals...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

They aren't really needed - high-resolution normals work okay when used with low-resolution textures. Besides, producing normals specifically for the lower resolutions would be quite a lot of work.

The base HDX textures still need to be brought up-to-date with the mods they go with. Lots of changes I never got around to adapting to.

zBuilder
In-game: zBuilder

by zBuilder » Post

sorry if this is already posted but occasionally the game will show an error screen citing the ore generator from Technic, which doesn't show on vanilla. is this texturepack incompatible with Technic?