[Game] Empty [1]

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Empty [1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Empty is the smallest possible “game”. Except it's not a playable game. Empty has no mods at all, no textures, no sounds, no nodes. Nothing!
It only has the neccessary files to display it properly in the main menu and that’s it. So only metadata but no actual data.

Empty is aimed at experienced Minetest users and modders. At the very least, you should understand the concept of mods, worlds and how to activate and deactivate mods from the main menu.
Although there is nothing in it, Empty is actually a very powerful tool. Empty can be used to activate and deactivate mods easily in the mainmenu without bothering about possible collisions from the game mods. Since Empty is empty, there will never be any collision with it. You can use Empty to basically click your own pseudo-game together or check quickly check how a set of mods works together.
Personally, I have used Empty serveral times for testing a bunch of mods, quite successfully.

Empty itself is of course completely unplayable.
When you start an Empty world as such, you will spawn in a world full of air and the console is flooded with error messages about missing textures.

You also should have stockpiled a collection of mods so that Empty can be of any use for you. Note that mods depending on mods from other games won't work in Empty, i.e. mods with a mandatory dependency on default from Minetest Game. But if you want to test mods written for Minetest Game, you should probably play Minetest Game. ;-)
  • Name: Empty
  • Tested for: Minetest 0.4.11
  • Current version: 1
  • Mods: none
  • License of Empty: WTFPL
I hope I can you give some good examples on possible use cases for Empty some day.
Attachments
empty_v1.zip
Empty
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 21:17, edited 2 times in total.

jin_xi

Re: [Game] Empty [1]

by jin_xi » Post

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I expected a compressed directory with no files inside.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No, it's not that easy. The file “game.conf” must be at present at least, otherwise the subgame will not be displayed in the main menu.
As I said, all the metadata is there, “Empty” refers to the actual game content.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Here's a small game which doesn't work for windows, only for ubuntu (or similar, e.g. linux mint) users who installed minetest globally. This game should add approximately as many nodes as minetest_game does.
Attachments
mysmgame.zip
WTFPL
(392 Bytes) Downloaded 159 times

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:Here's a small game which doesn't work for windows, only for ubuntu (or similar, e.g. linux mint) users who installed minetest globally. This game should add approximately as many nodes as minetest_game does.
Nice idea. You created a fake directory which leads to minetest_game...
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>