Mods using higher resolution textures

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

Mods using higher resolution textures

by 12Me21 » Post

Many mods use 32x32 (or larger) textures, and this looks weird next to normal blocks with 16x16 textures. Can there be a rule that requires mods to have a version with 16x16 textures? (They can have versions with larger textures, but the "main" version should have default sized textures)

I know you could use a texture pack to fix it, but on servers you don't always know which mods have high-res textures (until you find the blocks in the game), and some mods might not be well-known enough, or made specifically for that server and not publicly released.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: Mods using higher resolution textures

by Nathan.S » Post

I'm one of those modders, I find that a 16x16 texture doesn't always give me enough detail and I like to have higher resolution texture packs too. Is there some way to have two resolutions of the same texture in a mod, would I put subfolders in the texture folder one with the 16x16 and one with the 32x32 If I knew of a way to accomplish this I'd update my mods to follow the convention.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

You could upload 2 versions of the mod, or have another folder called "16x16 textures" (or something) and the user could replace the 32x32 textures with the 16x16 ones if they wanted.
It doesn't really matter, as long as the 16x16 textures are available.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I agree with Nathan.S, sometimes you do need to use higher resolution textures for certain nodes what would just look bad in 16x16 only...

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Do you have any specific examples? 16x16 definitly looks bad (and doesn't show enough details) if you just scale down a large image, but you should be able to make a 16x16 version look good if you make it from scratch. The only thing I can think of that needs bigger textures is the microcontroller in mesecons, since it has to label the outputs with letters.(and even THAT only has the letters in high res, the rest is 16x16.)

HOWEVER:
32x32 looks fine, as long as EVERYTHING is that detailed. If some textures are higher or lower resolution than others, it looks weird.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Minetest isnt like Minecraft remember, you can easily use different resolution textures in a game without any problems... It doesnt HAVE to be all the same size...

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:[…] you can easily use different resolution textures in a game without any problems...
Same with Minecraft. You can even use multiple texture packs at the same time and sort them in any order you want replacing textures (some or all of them or even only one single texture if you want) like “layers” in some image manipulation programs.

Minecrafts “Resource Pack” concept is actually pretty awesome and superior to Minetests “Texture Pack” concept.

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

So I had an idea why don't we code in the game code of an mod like so.

Code: Select all

local TEXTURE_SIZE = 32 -- Listed Options 32 or 16

Blah blah blah…
titles = "example_"..TEXTURE_SIZE..".png",
Or would it be to complex to do.
And make the Mod, even more heavy then already is. Anyhow I plan try simulate it into my mods if I can.
Only thing be cool if we could code a way resize the textures like the GUI.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

There actually is a "real" problem with different size textures. Nodes that use multiple textures per face (like how ores are the stone texture with an overlay) will not resize the smaller texture, so the ore only shows up in the corner.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

12Me21 wrote:There actually is a "real" problem with different size textures. Nodes that use multiple textures per face (like how ores are the stone texture with an overlay) will not resize the smaller texture, so the ore only shows up in the corner.
That is correct and very frustrating.