[Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

[Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Post

FRACTURED 0.04

It was with the best of intentions that the great wizard created the world stone. He drained power from the very heart of the earth to make it, and poured much of his own essence into it as well. And the result was a creation of magic so powerful, and so intimately connected to the world, that it could alter the structure of reality itself.

The wizard placed the world stone in a great tower in the center of the world, and used it for good, or at least for what he thought was good. With its power, he eliminated all violence between people. No person was able to physically attack another person in any way. And even property was sacrosanct under the great wizards rule. He greatly reduced or even completely eliminated the dangerous monsters that roamed the land. And with the control the stone gave him, he caused the earth itself to give up its great wealth of ores and minerals in bounteous profusion.

There were those who found the wizards rule stifling, but overall, life was good, and few complained. After all, what could they do against the world stone? But the wizard had drained too much of himself into the world stone to give it power, and after only a few decades of his peaceful reign, he died, and passed the stone, and his rule, on to his daughter.

As is often the case, the great wizard's child was not the same kind of person her father was. Not satisfied with the incredible power and control that the world stone was already exerting, she attempted to expand it. She wanted to dominate, not just peoples' violence, but their every thought and action. Finally, when she attempted to use the power of the stone to kill, it was too much. Her father had built the world stone to be an object of peace, to kill went so far against it's own nature that the stone could not take the stress, and it fractured. The power contained within the world stone poured out, destroying the great wizard's daughter, and most of the kingdom as well.

Power from the heart of the earth had been poured into the world stone at its creation. And when it flowed back out, it changed things. Great cities were destroyed, or utterly vanished. And most of the people also disappeared, or worse. The fracture in the world stone was mirrored in a great rift that formed, dividing the world into two halves, east and west. The magic that had protected the world fractured as well. In the east, it was still impossible for people to harm each other, or even another's property. But on the western side of the fracture, that magic failed and all kinds of violence were possible. The monsters that the world stone had eliminated were still rare or extinct on the eastern side of the fracture, but appeared in great numbers with great strength to the west. The further one went away from where the world stone had broken, stronger and more dangerous the monsters became.

This strange link to distance from the world stone's destruction was also seen in the distribution of the ores and minerals that the stone had previously made so abundant everywhere. Now ores and minerals became more and more scarce as one approached the center of the world where the world stone had broken, and more abundant as ones distance from it increased. And the dangerous west was richer in almost all valuable ores and minerals than the east. Many of the most powerful and valuable minerals could no longer be found east of the fracture at all.

You are one of the survivors of the world stone fracturing, and now you face some interesting choices. Will you attempt to rebuild civilization in the east where things are relatively safe? Or will you be drawn by the lure of adventure and riches into the wild west side of the fracture? Perhaps you will cross back and forth, bringing back trade items for sale? With the world stone gone, The choices are all yours.

======================================================
SO WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

Let me make clear from the very beginning, this project is so much "In Progress" that it can barely be said to be in progress yet at all. Right now this is just some proof of concept mods tacked on top of minetest-game.

1: fractrift: The Fracture Canyon between the worlds generates
2: blastradius: A "blast area" of damage is generated from where the world stone shattered
3: newspawn: Spawn is moved to the east of 0,0 and code attempts to make the new landing spot usable.
4: orethinning: Ore is distributed according to distance from spawn. Ore is twice as likely in the west and Mese and Esem only generate in the west.

I'm putting this out here at this very very early stage in order to elicit help, and also so anyone who gets a thrill watching the progress of a project can watch this one from early on. Once they are working better I will release the custom mods separately of course.

The discussion below this point is mostly IDEAS, the vast majority of it is not developed yet.

The general goal of the game is to create a world that will be playable in both singleplayer and multiplayer, but with some features specifically designed to enhance the multiplayer experience.

The world is divided into east and west by a large canyon. PvP combat is OFF and protection (probably the Areas mod) works on the east side. On the west side PvP should be ON and it is impossible to make any block invulnerable to attack, although you can defend them with tame monsters. Tame monsters should stay within a protection area and only attack people not on the protection list.

Ore distribution is modified so that the further away from spawn you go, the more common ores are. But also the more frequent and stronger monster spawns are. In the west ore is twice as common at the same distance as any location in the east. And Mese (special component in most technological recipes) and Esem (special component in most magical recipes) will exist ONLY in the west.

But the monsters are correspondingly more dangerous in the west, and of course, other players most dangerous of all. Many kinds of monsters will only spawn in the west, but this is one of the draws of the west, because drops from those monsters will be important ingredients in some very special items.

I want to add RPG elements to the game. Especially to have characters grow more powerful (and skilled) with experience so that there is a much bigger difference between a new player and an experienced player than just their stuff. Since new players can gain experience in the east without danger of more experienced players hunting them down, this should be workable.

There will be three primary paths for skill development. Combat, Technology (crafting steam-punk style items), and Magic. I would like to make it so that the actions you take with your character really have an effect on what you are good at later in the game. I hope to be able to include ruins, and even some NPC's and quests. Much of the magic and tech paths will require recipe/spell books that the player must hunt down.

My hope is to build a world where players are driven to move out from spawn and explore because the resources get better the further they travel. Also it should be a place where very different kinds of players can interact happily. Those who want conflict and adventure will spend most of their time in the west, but will be drawn back into the east to rest and enjoy the fruits of their labors. Those who mainly wish to build beautiful things while avoiding conflict will be able to build in the east without fear of attack or interference, but there will always be the draw of the west when they need more supplies.

The east is comfortable and safe, but the GOOD STUFF is in the west. If you want that lava pick, you will need to go into the west and kill some lava flans to get the lava orbs to make it. If you want to craft a jet-pack, you might need some dragons blood from the west as catalyst for the fuel. And, of course, most of the tech and magical recipes will need mese or esem, which can only be obtained in the west.

The west is rich, but it is dangerous and unstable. If you want a place to securely store your supplies, you will need to head back east. And if you are looking for shops with a wide variety of goods, you will probably only find them in the east. Also, most of the most beautiful buildings and constructions will be in the east.

There is a lot of incentive to travel back and forth. Of course, the world would hopefully develop a lively economy based around adventurers wandering into the wild west and returning to sell their goods in the east.

Because of all this, teleportation must be rather strictly limited. A major part of this game is the difficulty of getting far away from spawn where the resources are good. I may include some kind of teleportation mod, but will almost certainly limit it to short hops or limited use items.

To expand upon the Tame Monsters idea I mentioned above. I would like to have a way to capture and tame monsters into "eggs" when they are low on hit points. (this should be difficult and expensive) There might also be other ways to capture or bribe monsters into service. Monster eggs can be hatched inside a protected area in the west and will then stay inside that protected area and attack any players besides those on the area's list. There should also be "guards" that can be hired who function much the same way. This will allow players to defend locations in the west, but not to make anything invulnerable to attack.

I hope to include mesecons as an OPTION, but it is so lag inducing that it must be removable without breaking the basic operation of the game. I'd also like to incorporate HeroOfTheWinds's skylands and caverealms if it can be done without slowing down the mapgen by too much. AND, if I can figure out a way to do it, I hope to have a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" style land completely underground. BUT, that's a LOT of goals for someone who doesn't have a lot of time, and doesn't know what he is doing. I may have to trim a lot.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PROBLEMS

Yeah, I'm just barely started and already running into problems.

Ore thinning works, but the distribution ratio of ores is demonstration only and will almost certainly need adjusting for payability. Uncomment the lines tagged *VIEWTHINNING* in fractured/mods/orethining/init.lua if you want a visible demonstration of how ore thinning works.

The fracture canyon needs some work. If I don't block off the water when passing through oceans you get some really strange looking walls of water. I fixed that by putting up walls whenever you pass water. BUT, the walls that block water would probably be better as slopes, and the bottom of the canyon should probably be less flat. Also, I coded for random holes in the wall to make pretty waterfalls, but only some of them end up spilling out. Not sure what makes the abm fire or not. The fracture can only be generated running north-south right now, in the future it should be easily modifiable to run any direction you want.

I'm getting a lot of long delays on map generation already, probably due to inefficiencies in my code.

I made a menu header and icon for fractured, but my son tells me the header is unreadable, so it will have to be reworked at some point. Art is NOT my strong point. :)

WHAT TO WORK ON NEXT

I have no CLUE how PvP logic works. Since turing PvP off in the east and on in the west is central to the whole idea of fractured, I need to research this issue very soon.

HELP!

I am VERY open to help on this project. My skills as an artist are very poor. And while I am an acceptable programmer, I'm working in a language and system that I am far from expert on. To be absolutely clear, I do NOT know what I'm doing. :)

I promise NOT to be offended if you tell me I've done something wrong, stupid, or ugly. I welcome suggestions, corrections, additions, and pull requests, but please don't be offended if I decided something you suggested doesn't fit with my particular plans for this game.

CODE:

Browse:
https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured

Download:
https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip
unzip in the minetest games folder and rename to fractured.
Remember, There is NOT much of a playable game yet! Its just Minetest-game with a few proof of concept changes.

LICENSE
----------------------
All of my code for this project is licensed CC0 (public domain)
The only other material included so far is everything in minetest-game (license unaltered)
and dry dirt from Ethereal (GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE)

Change Log
0.04 fracturerift optimization and leak fix by HeroOfTheWinds and
thining algorithm choice in orethinning with new exponential algorithm by HeroOfTheWinds
0.03 set static_spawn from within newspawn, suggested and demonstrated by jojoa1997
0.02 Fracture variance code by HeroOfTheWinds
0.01 Initial release to the public. NOT READY as a game at all.
Last edited by Kilarin on Thu Mar 05, 2015 15:27, edited 4 times in total.

Kilarin

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Post

A few screenshots of this very unfinished project

Here is the blast area and the fracture rift from above:

This is an example of ore thinning, just following the canyon wall:
(For better examples put on no clip and do some deep exploring where mese, esem and other minerals form)

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Wow! Who cares about gameplay... I wanted to read more of your story!
Best of luck with this. Very interesting.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

So it is clear that The East is the peaceful area and The West is wild, chaotic, dangerous and everyone can attack you.

But this raises some (concept) questions:
  • What about the fracture itself? Is battle possible in it?
  • How do you cross the gap between the East and the West? Building bridges as usual, or will there be other special means for convenience?
  • Will the fracture be a deep abyss or a river as shown in screenshot?
  • Would it be possible to build stuff IN the abyss?
IMO, since the fracture is pretty important for the world, I think it is also important to plan its impact on gameplay properly.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Awesome. I'd be very interested in doing development for this, once I finish my college coursework (next weekend).

I like the header image, but it could be improved.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Feb 27, 2015 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

ExeterDad wrote:I wanted to read more of your story! Best of luck with this. Very interesting.
Thank you kindly! Hoping to be able to work a lot of story elements into the world and game.
Wuzzy wrote:What about the fracture itself? Is battle possible in it?

Right now the dividing line is planned to be at the middle of the fracture, so combat available from the middle of the fracture going west. could create some interesting strategies fighting in the middle of bridges. :)
Wuzzy wrote:How do you cross the gap between the East and the West? Building bridges as usual, or will there be other special means for convenience?
Hope to have SOME bridges and ruins auto generated providing simple ways across, but since the western halves will be vulnerable to destruction, it will often be a matter of rebuilding. I assume a lot of people will plan on tunneling under.
Wuzzy wrote:Will the fracture be a deep abyss or a river as shown in screenshot?
Planning on a river, but the fractrift mod is configurable. You can make the abyss as wide and as deep as you wish. And if you set the water depth to zero there should be no water. Could make the rift go all the way to the bottom of the world if that is what works out best in play testing.
It might be interesting if instead of sheer the walls had trails and ledges on the way down?
Wuzzy wrote:Would it be possible to build stuff IN the abyss?
Yep, but according to my current plans, only stuff on the eastern half of it would be protectable. But that is subject to change. we should be able to put the demarcation between the safe and wild side wherever we wish. Just a number at the top of the init.lua file.
Wuzzy wrote:IMO, since the fracture is pretty important for the world, I think it is also important to plan its impact on gameplay properly.
Absolutely. Suggestions and questions VERY welcome.
rubenwardy wrote:Awesome. I'd be interested in doing development for this, once I finish my college course (next weekend).
I can use all the help I can get! I do NOT know what I am doing. :)
rubenwardy wrote:I like the header image, but it could be improved.
Art, NOT my talent. :) Please feel free to try some improvements!

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

UHOH!

I went to play after I had installed in games folder but this error pops up. I tried both in MgV6 and 7 with no luck.
Any suggestions?

Code: Select all

22:53:02: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: K:\APPLICATIONS\MINETEST\minetest-0.4.11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default\init.lua:
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: ....11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default/mapgen.lua:741: attempt to call field 'get_mapgen_params' (a nil value)
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: 	....11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default/mapgen.lua:741: in main chunk
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: 	....4.11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default\init.lua:42: in main chunk
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run K:\APPLICATIONS\MINETEST\minetest-0.4.11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default\init.lua
22:53:02: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run K:\APPLICATIONS\MINETEST\minetest-0.4.11-win32\bin\..\games\fractured\mods\default\init.lua
So peering into init: line 42
dofile(minetest.get_modpath("default").."/mapgen.lua")

and the culprit: line 741
local mg_params = minetest.get_mapgen_params()

Am I missing a needed mod?

EDIT: I just tested in 4.12 it works! must be my installation of 4.11 that is bad.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

maikerumine wrote:EDIT: I just tested in 4.12 it works! must be my installation of 4.11 that is bad.
Fascinating, I just copied minetest-game. I didn't realize it had 4.12 specific code in it. This is just testing right now, but in the long term I will have to consider compatibility issues carefully.
Wuzzy wrote:Will the fracture be a deep abyss or a river as shown in screenshot?
The more I've been thinking about this, the more I'm thinking that a crack right down the the bottom of the world would be more impressive. BUT, to be really cool, I think it should have paths and out-jutting cliffs instead of just being a straight line. I'm not at all certain how to do that. something new to learn.

Trying to figure out PvP. Is anyone aware of a mod out there that creates a PvP arena in a world where PvP is normally turned off, or anything like that?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Love the story. Also sounds very interesting. Would love to look at the code.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

This is both really ambitious and insanely cool, Kilarin! I hope this works out for you.

I like the idea quite a bit, but I do have a few ideas on improvements for early in development:

Make the rift wider and more jagged: Making it wider will make it seem much more serious, and feel like a true divide in the world. Make it wide enough that a city could even be built hovering in the middle of the gap... that would be so epic. However, making a good looking canyon wall is no child's play. I'd be willing to help with that, however, whenever college gives me time to. I'm also still working (semi-covertly) on MoonTest, so that's a time drain too.

Make the West feel more like a ruined world: Maybe you already have that in mind, but having only dead grass and stony deserts would really make it feel barren and wild (kinda like BlockMen's WasteLand subgame). Randomly generating ruined structures would also be cool.

In any case, I'd love to contribute if possible. You mentioned that the mapgen was already somewhat slow, so I'll take a look at the code to see if optimization is possible. Also, I still haven't forgotten about adding "Center of the Earth" to my CaveRealms mod... I even have some "proof of concept" code in my local copy. ;)

EDIT: Just noticed that "Esem" is "Mese" spelled backwards... clever...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

philipbenr wrote:Love the story. Also sounds very interesting. Would love to look at the code.
Thank you and please do! https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:This is both really ambitious and insanely cool,
Yep. Very much a chance I have bitten off more than I can chew. But aim high... :)
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Make the rift wider and more jagged:
Wider is simple. width and depth are completely configurable. Jagged.. well, I agree 100%, but so far you can see the extent of my map generation skills. What I'm picturing right now is making the rift bottomless (simple, just change local fracrift_depth_air=20 to local fracrift_depth_air=32000 in the fracturerift init.lua) But would LOVE for it to have grand canyon style narrow paths and occasional wider cliffs jutting out so that it would be possible to explore down the wall. Something like these:
http://www.tombrownold.com/index.php#mi ... 5&a=0&at=0
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... nyon_5.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... n......jpg
and of course, lets not forget THIS:

BUT, no idea how to do that yet. Just barely getting started on mapgen.

I'm actually pretty proud of these 4 mods, but there really isn't much to them, and they are ALL built around the logic you showed me. :) The newspawn is pretty handy, since it lets you build a spawn landing pad anywhere you want, and have a reasonable chance of it being a place you could walk out of, even if the generated ground is quite a bit lower or higher than your specified spawn location. But the logic could use refining so that instead of specifying a certain number of "steps" newspawn would just keep building steps until it recognized that spawn was now connected to the rest of the world in a walkable way. Oh, and it needs to distinguish between decoration and ground content. :)

orethinning needs to be more parameterized so that you can control ore distribution in any direction, and with more fine tuning of individual ores possible.

blastradius needs to actually start with some kind of firey biome (or perhaps "burnt earth"?) in the center and gradually spread to other types of ruined earth as it goes out. And it needs to distinguish between decorations and ground content as well. I thought the grass and flowers turning into dried earth made for an interesting surface, but my son pointed out that it will look really odd when the mod converts a tree into dried earth. Still, that MIGHT be an interesting effect. :)

and fracturerift is what we've already been talking about. :)
HeroOfTheWinds wrote: I'd be willing to help with that
If you get the time, I would very much appreciate the help!
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Make the West feel more like a ruined world: Maybe you already have that in mind, but having only dead grass and stony deserts would really make it feel barren and wild (kinda like BlockMen's WasteLand subgame).
I had planned on having the biomes different between the east and west. Hadn't actually planned on making it all desert though, but that is an interesting idea.
HeroOfTheWinds wrote: Randomly generating ruined structures would also be cool.
VERY much part of the plan. Once I get pvp and areas working, my next plan was to generate the ruins of a huge obsidian tower (the one the world stone was in) fallen across the fracture at 0,0
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:, I still haven't forgotten about adding "Center of the Earth" to my CaveRealms mod... I even have some "proof of concept" code in my local copy. ;)
Fantastic!
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:EDIT: Just noticed that "Esem" is "Mese" spelled backwards... clever...
Ha! *I* thought so. But my son was groaning and said, "Dad, you aren't REALLY going to post it with THAT name are you?!?!" Of course, annoying your teenage son is one of the cherished advantages of fatherhood. :)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

PvP on one side and not on the other could be done by checking 3d_armor code... It has a regen feature in the armor that could be coded if you are within certain coords...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:PvP on one side and not on the other could be done by checking 3d_armor code... It has a regen feature in the armor that could be coded if you are within certain coords...
Oh Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know!!!

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Oops, I am SO sorry folks. One of my last commits I accidentally turned off ore thinning! That is corrected now. I also changed fracturerift to make the fracture into an "infinite" abyss. Here are some screen shots, which also manage to show some of the unusual things that happens if the blast area happens to be mostly mountainous instead of flat. Not certain if I need to modify the code to flatten the blast area, or just go with the really strange look. :)

By the way, the little crater there is not an affect of the blast radius, its new spawn. If new spawn happens to be lower than the surrounding area, it will create steps up.

Some mountaintops were so high here that the fracturerift logic missed them and they became floating islands over the rift. It looks cool, but I will probably modify the fracture rift logic to not have a top. Especially if we can implement skylands.

Of course the stupid minetest problems of water spreading when it hits an unloaded chunk still seem to be here and will make cool looking waterfalls in the fracture much less appealing. :(

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

On crossing the chasm you could make the tower in the story be in the middle and have that be the only possible way to cross. Maybe since the special stone was near the world stone for so long, the special stone absorbed its power and got resistance. Or the wizard reinforced the tower to be able to hold the world stone. Also it might be cool to have the world stone in the tower showing that it was cracked, but you cant get it cause too much power. Also very cool idea you have.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

One possible way to get rid of the ugly waterfalls problem would be to replace all water nodes at the edge with stone.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Or you could submit a patch to the CPP code.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Maybe since the special stone was near the world stone for so long, the special stone absorbed its power and got resistance.
That is a fascinating idea that I think I will try to implement.
jojoa1997 wrote:Also it might be cool to have the world stone in the tower showing that it was cracked, but you cant get it cause too much power.
I had been considering that myself. :)
jojoa1997 wrote:On crossing the chasm you could make the tower in the story be in the middle and have that be the only possible way to cross.
Interesting, but I don't think I want to limit the way across to only one path. In a multiplayer game it could give one group of players complete control of the passage pretty easily.
Wuzzy wrote:One possible way to get rid of the ugly waterfalls problem would be to replace all water nodes at the edge with stone.
Yep, and thats what I will probably have to do. I specifically wrote the code to leave random holes where the water could fall through because I thought the waterfalls looked so neat. But with an infinite abyss and the water flow bug, it doesn't look so neat anymore. :(
rubenwardy wrote:Or you could submit a patch to the CPP code.
That is certainly a possibility. But I'm assuming that the problem is a complex one or someone would have already fixed it. :) I already submitted a bug request for the water flow problem.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I took a cursory glance at the water flow code, but I haven't had the time to try taking a crack at it. I definitely want to try solving it, but I'm also hampered by my inability to compile Minetest whenever I want. I followed the old guide to compiling on Windows, but something must be missing... Not to mention that my system insists that CMake is a virus... I can vouch that the water flow code is complicated, however. And while it has some comments, many of the ones that should be there to explain logic aren't.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Kilarin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:On crossing the chasm you could make the tower in the story be in the middle and have that be the only possible way to cross.
Interesting, but I don't think I want to limit the way across to only one path. In a multiplayer game it could give one group of players complete control of the passage pretty easily.
Yeah I realized that after I posted it. On more thought, you could make a way for players to build bridges across, but make it really expensive. The bottleneck effect would be interesting on multiplayer and pvp can be disabled in the tower right leaving the west to be hostile only. Also you said there might be limited teleporters. A short range, around 100 - 200 block range, teleporter could randomly teleport you on one side of the west.
Edit: And also here is a cool looking RPG like mod viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11265
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Jojoa1997 wrote:And also here is a cool looking RPG like mod viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11265
yep, TeTpaAka's quest mod is on my list. :)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

So, I made a pull request:
https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/pull/1

Not sure what you think, but it's a try. There are a few things with the code as-is I don't like, but need much more time to solve. I have a few ideas, but it will be a while before I test them. Basically, that is what I could gather with my college-limited time. :)

Best of luck!

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

This is cool! For anyone testing this pull request, uncomment fractured\mods\fracturerift\init.lua line 9 fracrift_depth_water to avoid an error. I suspect that this could be eliminated by changing line 19. Will play with it more later when I have more time.
thank you hero! Now I've just got to figure out HOW it works. :)

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

My ideas:
Make the canyon wider! Wide enough so that from one side, you can just BARELY see across.

The blast area should be like in the meseor mod, where it takes blocks from the middle and throws them to the edge.

The spawn should be farther away, because if you were in the blast area you would have died.

You should be able to VERY RARELY find tiny pieces of the fractured world stone.

Only a limited number generate, and only within a certain distance of the explosion.
(when it generates the world, just have it pick a random location within _ nodes of the center, and if there is a block there (so it's not randomly floating in the air), it will place a world stone fragment, and it will do this until it places _ of them.

Instead of just a blast area, the canyon should bulge outwards, and have sloped edges at the top.

The canyon should have branches coming off it, so it looks more like the world broke in half, and didn't just get cut in half.
My crappy image (I'm using my chromebook, so no good image editors :( )

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Edited my pull request to have a much better solution to chasm wall variation. It looked ugly by forcing stone walls, so I make it just shear the land instead of building in from the edges. Water-plugging is better now too, no longer being a 1 node thick line, save for in a few places. The material looks better with sandstone as well.

These changes are scale-able, so changing the width of the rift is just as easy as before.

Hope you like it. :)