[Mod] HUD Map [0.2.0] [hudmap]

stu
GitHub: stujones11

[Mod] HUD Map [0.2.0] [hudmap]

by stu » Post

An experimental mod which adds a scalable overhead map to the player's HUD.
Map images must be supplied by the server admin and configured in hudmap.conf.
See hudmap.conf.example for a demo setup featuring the fantastic Karsthafen map.

Mod Version: 0.2.0

Minetest Version: 0.4.8 or later (untested on older versions)

Depends: none

License Code: LGPL v2.1

License Textures: WTFPL

Download: Version 0.2.0

Browse Code: Github

Chat Commands

/hudmap on - Display HUD Map
/hudmap off - Remove HUD Map
/hudmap scale [number] - Set Hudmap Scale (default 1)
Last edited by stu on Fri Aug 15, 2014 18:30, edited 4 times in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Mod] HUD Map [0.1.0] [hudmap]

by Inocudom » Post

This is interesting, though Freeminer has gsmapper in it (in the same corner of the screen.)

stu

Re: [Mod] HUD Map [0.1.0] [hudmap]

by stu » Post

Inocudom wrote:This is interesting, though Freeminer has gsmapper in it (in the same corner of the screen.)
Yes, I thought gsmapper might get a mention, it does look really good but it requires changes to the engine that may decrease performance.

This mod is primarily intended for servers with existing mt mapper generated maps. It can be configured to cover sky realms, nether regions or even buildings, the downside is it has limited usefulness is single player mode, esp. a survival game.

stu

Re: [Mod] HUD Map [0.2.0] [hudmap]

by stu » Post

Version 0.2.0 - Now with optional player markers

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

It's an amazing idea :p

But, can we hide the mini-map with a keyboard key ?

stu

by stu » Post

Minetestforfun wrote:It's an amazing idea :p

But, can we hide the mini-map with a keyboard key ?
That would be great if we could, unfortunately, the current api does not allow that (unless I missed something), sorry,

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

stu wrote:...
could the map be read from a tile server?

stu

by stu » Post

twoelk wrote:
Not really sure what you mean, the images are handled like any other mod images so I guess if you use CURL then the images could be stored on a file server.
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

stu wrote:
twoelk wrote:
Not really sure what you mean, the images are handled like any other mod images so I guess if you use CURL then the images could be stored on a file server.
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.
Tile server as here: http://meow.minetest.net/tiles/ ,
or here: http://minetest.web1337.net/map.php
and here while it was working: http://landrush.bremaweb.com/map.php (is broken now)

So the type of Tiled web map server (TMS, WMS) that is used for Slippy-Maps made popular by Google-Maps.
Opensource Libraries that are simillar are http://www.openlayers.org/ and http://leafletjs.com/

stu

by stu » Post

twoelk wrote:
Tile server as here: http://meow.minetest.net/tiles/ ,
or here: http://minetest.web1337.net/map.php
and here while it was working: http://landrush.bremaweb.com/map.php (is broken now)

So the type of Tiled web map server (TMS, WMS) that is used for Slippy-Maps made popular by Google-Maps.
Opensource Libraries that are simillar are http://www.openlayers.org/ and http://leafletjs.com/
oops, sorry about that, need to get my eyes tested...

Interesting idea but I don't think there is any way to embed a web based gizmo like that in the minetest client,
certainly not via the modding api at any rate.

What you could do, however, is divide a large map up into tiles and configure the co-ordinates of each one.
Possibly a customized minetest mapper could do this automatically and even produce the necessary config file.

The only problem with having a lot of maps would be the time required to download them all to the client,
although it may not be such a big problem for the server I you are using CURL.

Edit: I've done a few quick calculations and based on the example maps I made at 320x320
the mapper generated map tiles average at around 80Kb after png crushing

So for a 6400 square map that would be 400 tiles weighing in at approx 30Mb
That is not altogether out of the way but would be a PITA to download for the first time.

You could possibly use a lossy compression algo to shrink the filesize even more and
make higher quality images available as a texture pack that users can download themselves.
Problem there is keeping things up to date as maps grow and evolve, just some ideas.

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

eh?
The whole idea of the tiled web map is that you do not download all tiles at once but rather just those that you want to look at. As for example the well known googlemaps does not download the whole world but just the region you are looking at.
The tiles are named according to a system that locates each tile in a coordinate system so that the viewer/player coordinates lets the api decide which tiles are needed and where to place them. I don't think we need to intigrate the whole openlayers or leaflet apps.

The scenario I had in mind was such:
The server admin runs a script that lets the mapper generate tiles of the map applying a certain naming system according to one of the standards used by some TMS/WMS system. He can use this tile-set to serve a slippy-map on the web using any of those apis or scripts that he wishes.

Now your mod then could also interprete the naming system and use them same allready generated tiles to show the part of the map each client requests. This way the server admin can provide a map as updated as he sees fit and it is displayed by your mod. If your mod could someday also intigrate overlays then one could supply layers that show extra information such as protected areas or place names.

so the needed functions might be:
  • relating the player position to tile names displaying that part of the map
  • deciding which tiles to download
  • downloading the needed maptiles from an url provided by the server.
  • stitching the maptiles together correctly for display
  • updating the procedure whenever the player moves
at the moment I am mostly interested wether this could work at all as I am trying to figure out a good naming scheme for minetest map tiles so that other 3rd party tools could easily use the tile sets.

whtemple1959

by whtemple1959 » Post

I will admit two things, I am new to Minetest and I have no knowledge of compiling.
I will state two things my son enjoys watching minecraft videos on youtube and they cuss way too much.
I desire two things a localized game which he and I can play without the foul mouths.

During my research I had a gut feeling that the OS community would have a solution and so you do and I am running to learn the eccentricities of the game.

I would like a map to examine the world I am in and I have managed to stumble here.

I downloaded the package but could find no clear instruction for the average lay person.

On 10 August you mention a “server with existing mt mapper generated maps”. I have looked in every corner of my installation and find no reference to mt mapper.

Is this something I need to download and install? Is it another mod I need? Furthermore in the example conf file there are references to png files that I have no equivalent files for.

Of course this will all be a moot point if you tell me I must first install the server application on my PC.

But, as I mentioned I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to the inner workings of OS applications.

So, I am lost...can some one through me a map...and maybe a torch?

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

MT Mapper For Windows: I use this one
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2896

There is another one, gs mapper somewhere but other stuff needs to be installed on the system so I never messed with it.GS Mapper is for linux I think

the png file errors can be ignored. I believe these are file referances in 3d models that are not actually used

stu

by stu » Post

Napiophelios wrote:MT Mapper For Windows: I use this one
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2896

There is another one, gs mapper somewhere but other stuff needs to be installed on the system so I never messed with it.GS Mapper is for linux I think

the png file errors can be ignored. I believe these are file referances in 3d models that are not actually used
+1

@whtemple1959: This mod is probably not what you are looking for. It was intended for servers but didn't really catch on due to its many limitations, it was kinda fun for the Karsthafen map but is now likely outdated somewhat.

whtemple1959

by whtemple1959 » Post

Napiophelios and Stu, thank you for your input I guess I will need to go a different direction....it is a nice map.... :(

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

whtemple1959 wrote:Napiophelios and Stu, thank you for your input I guess I will need to go a different direction....it is a nice map.... :(
I would like to point out that this mod is in the WIP section. WIP means work in progress.
Just something I though I would point out because when I first started playing Minetest I googled mods an found some that were not working. After a little time I realized that it was in this section and not in the Mods section.

Stu - thanks for your work. I might put this on my server.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here