A Few Critisims of Minetest

John.Alex
In-game: John Alex

A Few Critisims of Minetest

by John.Alex » Post

I've just gotten a Linux Mint 17 Rebecca, and I thought, "hey, free Minecraft spin-off. Sweet, right?"
So, I get it on here, and I've been playing it a little, but I have some complaints.

1) The main menu randomly crashes, by which I mean, the program randomly stops. I go to start up the game and the application closes, or sometimes it's when I try to go to the mod store.

2) There are no monsters. What is the point, if there is no monsters? I mean, the premise of Minecraft is to build up defenses against creatures, produce food, etc. None of these things are present in Minetest -- there are no monsters, no animals, no food...

3) In creative mode on Minecraft, double-pressing the space-bar allows the player to fly. In this, no such function exists. I am aware that this is *not* Minecraft, however, that feature would be extremely useful. Trying to build massive structures such as Castles, Towers, Caverns, Cathederals and such is tedious enough as it is without having to be firmly attached to the ground.

4) Online-play does not appear to work. Maybe it has for others, but, even with good internet connection, there seems to be no mods or players in this game at all. However, now that I am on the website, that appears to not be true. I think that part of the program needs address-to.

Put these things aside, the game is nice, and I appreciate all of the hard work put into it. I am likely going to keep playing it, so long as these things are addressed. I like where Minetest is going, but if I cannot open the program without it just turning off every once in a while, creative is a pain, there's no incentive to actually do anything and I can't play with anyone, I might end up just going the extra mile and purchasing MC. :/ However, I really, really don't want to. I like this "Minetest" thing, and the people seem a lot more involved.
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: A Few Critisims of Minetest

by Napiophelios » Post

Thats fuinny,the first thing I complained about was the fly function.
Seemed all my initial criticisms of Minetest boiled down to me just not knowing how it worked.

by default you dont have fly privileges in the minetest_game
privileges can be granted by default but you have to specify/change this in the game folders config file.

In a single-player game type "/grant singleplayer fly" into the chat box
that should do it then you can use the "k" key to toggle it on and off

Minetest_game is just the base, its intended to have mods added for more features
If you want creatures and animals you need to install a mod.

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

I would edit this and just install a mod, but I can't even get the program to stay open long enough to see if it's working ._. I don't know what it's deal is, but it just won't play -- just keeps turning off. Now, I know that this is probably judgemental, but I don't think that most games are *supposed* to shut down after the first click.
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

I can understand your frustration on that one, happens to me when I try to play the MT fork called Freeminer; The damn thing just wont stay lit long enough to see whats what.

Check the minetest.conf file and see what settings its using for video driver.
I have the best results using the default "video_driver = opengl" setting but you may need to change it.

Also check around the bugs and problems section there may already be a discussion about this kinda thing

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

I went into the configuration, and there isn't a "video_driver" on the list.
The file just looks like this:

aux1_descends = false
creative_mode = false
doubletap_jump = false
enable_3d_clouds = false
enable_damage = true
enable_particles = false
enable_shaders = false
keymap_backward = KEY_KEY_S
keymap_chat = KEY_KEY_T
keymap_cmd = /
keymap_console = KEY_F10
keymap_drop = KEY_KEY_Q
keymap_fastmove = KEY_KEY_J
keymap_forward = KEY_KEY_W
keymap_freemove = KEY_KEY_K
keymap_inventory = KEY_KEY_E
keymap_jump = KEY_SPACE
keymap_left = KEY_KEY_A
keymap_noclip = KEY_KEY_H
keymap_print_debug_stacks = KEY_KEY_P
keymap_rangeselect = KEY_KEY_R
keymap_right = KEY_KEY_D
keymap_sneak = KEY_LSHIFT
keymap_special1 = KEY_KEY_F
main_menu_tab = singleplayer
mainmenu_last_selected_TP = 1
mainmenu_last_selected_world = 1
name =
new_style_leaves = false
preload_item_visuals = true
public_serverlist = true
selected_world_path = /home/johnalex/.minetest/worlds/Prima
server_announce = true
server_dedicated = false
smooth_lighting = false
texture_path =

Any suggestions?
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Can you provide us with debug.txt?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

well its probably using opengl driver by default but I would add the setting
" video_driver = opengl " anyways.

Also change "preload_item_visuals = true" to false and see if it helps.

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

My debug file is almost 6,400 lines long. It won't allow me to put it all on here, so I'll just copy the last part into here for you:
-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

15:48:43: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "PilzAdam-mobs-c49cc47": modname does not follow naming conventions: Only chararacters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
15:48:43: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/johnalex/.minetest/mods/PilzAdam-mobs-c49cc47/init.lua
15:48:43: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/johnalex/.minetest/mods/PilzAdam-mobs-c49cc47/init.lua
15:48:50: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:50: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:50: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:50: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:51: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:51: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:51: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:51: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:52: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:52: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:52: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:52: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:53: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:53: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:53: ERROR[main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawMenu() Draw images unable to load texture:
15:48:53: ERROR[main]: /home/johnalex/.minetest/textures/base/pack/no_screenshot.png
15:48:59: ERROR[main]: The following mods could not be found: "PilzAdam-mobs-c49cc47"
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: .__ __ __
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: _____ |__| ____ _____/ |_ ____ _______/ |_
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: / \| |/ \_/ __ \ __\/ __ \ / ___/\ __\
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: | Y Y \ | | \ ___/| | \ ___/ \___ \ | |
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: |__|_| /__|___| /\___ >__| \___ >____ > |__|
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: World at [/home/johnalex/.minetest/worlds/Prima]
15:49:00: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on port 63838.
15:49:00: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Font size: 8 15

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------

-------------
Separator
-------------
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

"PilzAdam-mobs-c49cc47" rename this folder to just mobs

and read this
Last edited by Napiophelios on Sun Mar 01, 2015 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

Also, I edited the debug file, and yet the program still shuts off before I can even click "play".
And I just uninstalled that mod :/ I'll likely do that if I put it back in, though.
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

I have noticed another issue; it constantly refers to a folder of which does not exist: ".minetest/textures". That folder doesn't exist -- it was never installed in the first place. But the game played fine yesterday /.\ Ugh...
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

you have gotten really screwed up somehow
you need to do a complete reinstall

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

1 - What version of Minetest do you have? 0.4.12 is the latest.
2 - Minetest comes with a very basic set of mods. There are many mods that are available.
3 - In single player you can give yourself all the privilages with this command. /grant singleplayer all
That will give you the fly priv. In the main menu go to the settings tab and click on change keys. In there is a check box for double tap spacebar to fly.
4 - Minetest has a number of online servers. Hopefully once your game is fixed then you will be able to go online.

Here are a couple links to help to learn how to play. It is a little different then minecraft.
Controls - http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Controls
Commands - http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Server_commands
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

If you got Minetest (0.4.9+repack) from the Mint repo's.... it's old and broken.
I know what you are talking about with the server list and mods list in the main screens.
You are right. It is crap. But until the debian/ubuntu repo Gods fix it, it will be broken. I promise.

I feel the most painless approach for you is to uninstall. Then go to this thread: viewtopic.php?id=3837 There is a one line command you can run that will install all the dependencies you need and compile Minetest from source. You will get a lean, mean and latest version Minetest.

If you are nervouse about installing Minetest on your system without a deb for easy removal, just use the "Run in place" version of the script. So if you don't like it, you simply delete the folder.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Try this one. It has a deb package.
https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdev ... /+packages
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Heh.

Do compile, and please, for god's sake, make it as a run-in-place, OP.

There used to be mobs in the ancient version of the game. They were removed because devs wanted everything to be user modifiable. Hard coding stuff inside an executable is anything but user friendly.

In addition to the mobs mod, I suggest installing Sprint, Food, 3d_armor, and of course HUD.

We've been working on more varied games to include in the Minetest redistributable.

If you'd like, I can upload my personal mod pack. It's survival oriented, with a few nods thrown in just for fin. Hey, you try complaining after flying a helicopter over a horde of zombies.

Tl;Dr
And that's how I met my wife. After that, I closed my practice. We moved to an idyllic town in the mountains...

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

my main menu crashes very often, too, and noone cares

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

john.alex: what i do to fix the issue is when i compile minetest and install i copy the textures folder from the source code and paste in .minetest in ~/

slopsbucket

by slopsbucket » Post

Hi John.Alex,

Just a thought, I'm no computer genius, but have you tried using a different desktop program to see if there's any improvement?

The reason I thought of it is because my current favourite setup is Fedora 21 with the Cinnamon desktop which comes from Mint. Every time I open Minetest it immediately closes again, you only see the outlines of the gui window and then it's gone. But it only does this once and second time around it opens and runs flawlessly.

In Fedora with Cinnamon desktop I get this behaviour with both the official repository releases and versions I've compiled myself.

In Ubuntu with Cinnamon desktop I get no errors of any kind on any version.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

now when l want to start minetest (lubuntu), it crashes
minetest --trace tells

Code: Select all

2015-04-02 13:39:05: INFO[main]: Audio: Error opening /usr/share/minetest/sounds/main_menu.ogg for decoding
2015-04-02 13:39:05: INFO[main]: OpenALSoundManager: Creating playing sound
Speicherzugriffsfehler
but my self compiled newest minetest doesn't crash

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Tmanyo
GitHub: Tmanyo
IRC: Tmanyo
In-game: tmanyo

by Tmanyo » Post

John.Alex wrote:I've just gotten a Linux Mint 17 Rebecca, and I thought, "hey, free Minecraft spin-off. Sweet, right?"
So, I get it on here, and I've been playing it a little, but I have some complaints.

1) The main menu randomly crashes, by which I mean, the program randomly stops. I go to start up the game and the application closes, or sometimes it's when I try to go to the mod store.

2) There are no monsters. What is the point, if there is no monsters? I mean, the premise of Minecraft is to build up defenses against creatures, produce food, etc. None of these things are present in Minetest -- there are no monsters, no animals, no food...

3) In creative mode on Minecraft, double-pressing the space-bar allows the player to fly. In this, no such function exists. I am aware that this is *not* Minecraft, however, that feature would be extremely useful. Trying to build massive structures such as Castles, Towers, Caverns, Cathederals and such is tedious enough as it is without having to be firmly attached to the ground.

4) Online-play does not appear to work. Maybe it has for others, but, even with good internet connection, there seems to be no mods or players in this game at all. However, now that I am on the website, that appears to not be true. I think that part of the program needs address-to.

Put these things aside, the game is nice, and I appreciate all of the hard work put into it. I am likely going to keep playing it, so long as these things are addressed. I like where Minetest is going, but if I cannot open the program without it just turning off every once in a while, creative is a pain, there's no incentive to actually do anything and I can't play with anyone, I might end up just going the extra mile and purchasing MC. :/ However, I really, really don't want to. I like this "Minetest" thing, and the people seem a lot more involved.
2. I think there is a mod for that.
3. You can toggle settings to do that. In the settings tab.
4. Online play does indeed work.
Tmanyo
http://www.rrhmsservers.ml
Servers I Host:
Tmanyo-Realism
Mods of mine that I don't totally hate:
Bank Accounts
T-Rating
Tmusic Player

John.Alex

by John.Alex » Post

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I simply uninstalled Minetest -- there was a virus in my copy that made it to where devices were no longer recognized by my system, and programs couldn't be added or modified on the system. I had to reboot my entire PC from the OS disk, which pissed me off, a lot.

I will likely not try Minetest again for a long time, but I'll stay on the forums and see if these things get fixed.
~ John Alex,
Facebook.com/Emoswerve

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

If you got your copy from this site I can assure you that there is no virus in it. All the code is there on github for all to see. It would be foolish to put anything harmful in it.
All though I am sorry you went through all that.