Dev wants some Help with Game Ideas

O'Hara

by O'Hara » Post

yes like switches in Minecraft, same principal. Just bring up a screen with 4 wheels and you enter the right combo and it opens.
People can fly.

hijera

by hijera » Post

what's about just add new types of blocks,which can be crafted (it could be even mese combination, such as 1 mese + block), which couldnt destroyed by anybody except player who created them?

neko259

by neko259 » Post

hijera wrote:what's about just add new types of blocks,which can be crafted (it could be even mese combination, such as 1 mese + block), which couldnt destroyed by anybody except player who created them?
Then blocks placed by a griefer will be impossible to break.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

milkmandan

by milkmandan » Post

mstoykov wrote:My advice is simple :) :
add content or easy way to add one for example write tutorials on how to add simple mobs (like chikens which dont have any real AI but a basic one which makes them wonder around ) and how to make new items (add them to crafting, give them skin, and properties when they are put down) - this wont make it possible for some random guy with basic programming exp like me to implement red stone but could probably give me the chance to implement something like a new weapon with new material you made freeing you to implement something else.

this way the game will get more tes^Wplayers

All the ideas here are very nice but hard to implement and will be pointless if there is no content . I think it's too early to make such big things as ships and my idea of implementation for all the planet stuff and others is to just make them like different worlds (with new coards maybe even on different server instance - which will probably be cooler :P and harder)
Have to concur in theory at least. Adding a new block should be as simple as adding a texture and defining a few things in a text file, and maybe a sound file if/when sound gets added. New crafting recipes should be text defined as well. Basically, anything that behaves similarly to an existing item/material should be doable without touching code. That alone would do wonders to expand the content as people can contribute easily to expanding the game.

bcmpinc

by bcmpinc » Post

As the number of ideas in this topic is already getting rather large, I created a list of them in the wiki to keep them organized. Feel free to add items or give additional information to a specific idea. See http://celeron.55.lt/~celeron55/minetes ... deas:index.
Last edited by bcmpinc on Thu Sep 08, 2011 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

hijera

by hijera » Post

one more idea: what if there will be some admins (which took from trusted players) on big territories (500x500 blocks for example) and they will have exclusive right to modify them (dig or build on it), but they also will have ability to give somebody rights to dig or build on part of their lands. It seems like permission system in Second Life . Other lands which is not controlled by admins will be free for modifying as now.
Every admin will have some kind of region or city, and will moderate it. it could be interesting )

mstoykov

by mstoykov » Post

This again is long for some reason >.<

it will be nice even without moderators (as define there) just in the basic way of player saying to the admin - can you give me this 100x100 place (or any 100x100 place) just for me and then it's yours until the admin says otherwise. Then ofc the big map can be divided into areas to each moderator and so he gave this places.
In build system for this will be nice too.
This way griefers will be stopped (big problem right now for the ppl who are near the 0.0 0.0 0.0 ) and this way we can say something is to someone :) there will be less need of signs :).

on the item creation :
It will be nice if we can get some really simple text based item creation something like

Code: Select all

name: book
textures : book_front.png book_side.png book_top.png (maybe more ;))
picture: book_pic.png
craft: 3xpaper
stackable: true
stack_size: 20
for something like creatures which need AI there could be a predefined basic AI (the wondering around one) and a hostile AI (it goes for you and tries to get the flesh from your bone one :)) and then a field like AI: basic_AI for something like a pig(rat) :).
DISCLAIMER: the item idea wont be easy to implement and it can't (fully) remove the need for putting code in. For example we cant make something like carts this way without defining the code for how the cart works :) Though it will be possible to put in random misc stuffs like books, pictures, pots, flowers etc. It will need more options then this and it might be better in an xml or YAML format (easier to parse).
Another problem will be performance as the implementation I'm thinking right now is basically big item_class with tons of different fields and and id which could be an int but probably will need to be String in some of the calls (which is actually how the items are implemented now AFAIK - still looking trough the code trying to figure out how the thing actually works and will implement a bucket soon :)).
I'll stop now as I think this got way too long :)

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

I didn't know people are this stupid when I made that blog post, but now I do.

I don't need any more ideas. I want to not hear any of them. I have now learned I never needed any "ideas" in the first place.

benajamin

by benajamin » Post

Celeron55, dude, chill out. At least you don't have it as bad as Notch.

Look at it this way: You can always ignore "stupid" ideas, but at least with this thread, they won't be cluttering up the rest of the forum.

I understand that this is *your* playground, and everyone is grateful for you having shared it, but there's no need to be mean.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

I like to not mince my words too much.

But anyway, adding the idea section in the wiki was too much. Whoever did that, did a totally wrong thing.

Anchakor

by Anchakor » Post

I have written my ideas on my blog, please read:
http://mud.cz/?p=36
(before I talked about them on IRC)

bcmpinc

by bcmpinc » Post

For what its worth, celeron55, I did not expect you to implement any of the ideas in the ideas section. Quite to the contrary, it was intended to document the ideas; find out why they're worth spending time implementing; list the good things of each idea; list the bad things; list the alternatives and in the end find out what idea helps best to solve problems that are currently in the game.

Sometimes, the most obvious solution for a problem might not be the right one. It would be a waste if you spent time implementing that solution if we could have seen beforehand that it wasn't going to work.

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

Most of the suggestions I have read divides Minetest from Minecraft, but not from other games.
Most of the ideas are just stolen from them.

So I tried to find some features which you can find not or rarely in other games:
- advanced pets (which you can teach tricks)
- designing own blocks with a integrated painting software
- the possibility to write books
- you can find predefined houses at random places
- plants , e.g. grass,reed,water lilies, seaweed, flowers....
- a lot of animals

Soulaxe

by Soulaxe » Post

How about a special type of block which allows all other blocks connected to be moved as if it were a single object? Similar to the Controllinator from LittleBigPlanet 2.

Also, I would love to get this project running on my linux-based Nokia N900! :D

Nowhereman

by Nowhereman » Post

Make the game more challenging - more realistic! The game now pointless - mining and building is too easy!

Why the needs are missing? There is no thirst, hunger, fatigue...
If someone can starve to death, it is more essential not to loose the way!
Lets be forced to plant and hunt to have food for mining and building, forced to mine to have iron for the tools needed for farming and hunting, forced to build buildings to protect the reserves... this infernal circle would make a rythem for the game, reason for the cooperation!

Limit the carriing capacity - I've built a skyscreaper in a single course - all the ingrediens - stone and wood were in my pocket or where...

Plants and animals, some for food(hare, sheep) some for figthing with(bear, wolf)

Even more tools: bucket, rope, spear, fishng rod, traps...

some physical reality: levitating objects are spitting on law of gravity?

hmmm

by hmmm » Post

Nowhereman wrote:Make the game more challenging - more realistic! The game now pointless - mining and building is too easy!

Why the needs are missing? There is no thirst, hunger, fatigue...
If someone can starve to death, it is more essential not to loose the way!
Lets be forced to plant and hunt to have food for mining and building, forced to mine to have iron for the tools needed for farming and hunting, forced to build buildings to protect the reserves... this infernal circle would make a rythem for the game, reason for the cooperation!

Limit the carriing capacity - I've built a skyscreaper in a single course - all the ingrediens - stone and wood were in my pocket or where...

Plants and animals, some for food(hare, sheep) some for figthing with(bear, wolf)

Even more tools: bucket, rope, spear, fishng rod, traps...

some physical reality: levitating objects are spitting on law of gravity?
Just not too forceful. Otherwise the game wont be any fun. If they limit the carrying capacity then they should add ways to move chests. e.g. Putting them on ships/boats or on minecarts.

Nowhereman

by Nowhereman » Post

of course the difficulty must be calibrated well: with a sober mind you can survive, but the insane must perish!/and not just by falling off a skyscreaper!
It must be challenge and fun!

What is the reason of the rails-carts, axes, spades - if there is no need of use them?
for mining stone - must have pick /MESE (in hungarian means:TALE) should be slower and more durable
for cutting wood - must have axe
for digging soil -must have spade
for transportation vast amount of matherials - must have rails-carts, elevators, saddle horse(?), ship, wheelbarrow... - and in this case the player must use his neurons during digging: produse less rubbles...

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

Nowhereman wrote:...some physical reality: levitating objects are spitting on law of gravity?...
some levitating objects should stay though so nut jobs like me can look down on the world and think no one may trespass on my domain
Last edited by sdzen on Sat Sep 03, 2011 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Nowhereman

by Nowhereman » Post

I was thinking abaut my "ironman" modifications. Simple Kenny McCormick effect of death is not a punishment. Make an XP system, and each time of death means a hard punch of the XP by loosing a decent percerntage of it. XP can make you dig faster, increase your carriing capacity and max. health, and also makes the player able to have more options...
Another annoying ideas:
By the rails the transportation is only horisontal - for vertical elevator needed.
block type: storage area: what you put upon it, is not fixed. for example you can put stone upon it and pick up with single hand later. - in this case the "transdimesional" chest is no more needed...

bcmpinc

by bcmpinc » Post

I like the way how the rules of physics in minetest differ from those in the real world. Makes it even more possible to do things that are not possible in real life.

buffalojoe

by buffalojoe » Post

I think we should expand this game with the potential it has. How about adding...

-a cross bow maybe? make it like this: WOOD NULL NULL
WOOD STICK STICK
WOOD IRON NULL

-a real reason to be scared of the dark. Unlike minecraft, we have the advantage of starting from the beginning, adding the ideas of people like me, part of the community. How about:

ghosts that appear for mear seconds in front of you, then vanish with a 'I found you...' sort of voice.

scary sounds that will scare the #*%^ out of you everytime.

abandoned underground temples that long ago housed evil monks, that have disturbing paintings on the walls.

strange, unnatural shadows usually chillin' on the ceilings.

- books you could find in said underground temples that you can read.
- multi coloured birds.
- some sort of floating biome made of stone plates connected by light (hallalujuh).
- a third person view much more detailed than minecraft.
- spears!
- daggers and throwing daggers!
- magic, with four different spells, all learnable from the readable books in the temples.

ice shard
fire bolt
lightning strike
light sphere

- a ten stage fog system with different coloured fog.
- three different materials to make torches, all emitting different amounts of light.
- some 32x textures instead of 16x.
- a way to craft new minerals out of common resources. eg. 3 coal and 3 iron = whatever you might get from mixing those together. Im not a scientist.
- different types of water.

I ran out of proper idease at the magic idea so.... I hoped these gave you some inspiration, whether it shall be a mod (user) or actually implemented (developer) .

thanks!

IF ANYONE TROLLS I WILL @^#*(%& END THEM.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@buffalojoe You got some nice ideas there mate, I especially like the ghost idea ^_^

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

@buffalojoe I like your ideas.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

@buffalojoe Some really great ideas. I may use some of them for a other game, if you don't mind.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

celeron i love this game you've created..there are some essentials though if you really want to make it pop:

Main menu:
-make the title bigger..animate if too if you'd like..that would be nice!
-make the title 3d too!
-redo the background..its kind of bland :P

Mobs:
-could you make them 3d? and make the ork a zombie?
-id also like to see more mobs like:(bear, dogs, cats, deer, and fish) and some bad mobs like: (ghosts, zombies, sharks, octopus, evil npc's)
-i would also like to see them animated instead of just sliding around and a killing/ being hit animation too
-i would like to see special npcs that are veryyyy bad..like maybe a giant that could crush you or a savage beast that can throw daggars at you

Player:
-maybe you could make arms for the player? 3d ones not sprites please :P
-when the player walks do you think you could add some walking animation to the camera?
-and when you jump you could add a little dip (like your crouching to jump) and then when you land you could dip again!
-when you fall, instead of making the screen red..and instead of just bobbing to the left like minecraft..do you think you could make the camera shake?
-also when you hold shift and go to the edge of a block..and then place a block on the block your standing on it will allow you to go through the block you just placed..do you think you could remove this glitch?
-also when you swim you can just hold your breath forever..that doesnt feel..idk like fun..it feels static..could you like add an air bar? not a bubble bar like minecraft but maybe a blue bar that shows your oxygen level
-the player could be effected by flowing currents of water also
-when you jump it feels like your on the moon and kind of static..also when you hold space and forward you just glide over blocks..it feels like the force field around the character is a circle and it makes it kind of bland to walk around..it would be really good if you could make the field around the player a square or something like that
-when im playing on multiplayer i dont like how the other people are 2d sprites..could you make it so that their 3 dimensional people? with walking animations
-when you hit k and fly around it would be nice if you didnt go through everything
-you should be able to run!

-World generator
the terrain it generates looks cool..but id like to see more things like:
-more adversity underwater..like clay and sand and cobblestone or normal stone..i dont like it how when i go under theres just massive amounts of dirt under water
-i would like it if you could make water update faster than lava..instead of being sort of static
-i would LOVE it if you could make the world generator generate the terrain faster
-and make the day->night and night->day transition smoother instead of 4 lumps of light..maybe 50+ so it appears smooth
-you should make HUGE biomes..like desert or snow..and in each biome could have mobs specifically for those biomes..like snakes in the desert biome..and polar bears in arctic biomes!
-there should be volcanoes!

Crafting:
-make a crafting bench :D (i know thats from minecraft but it makes more sense than having a crafting bench on you at all times)
-when crafting ..instead of having to click the object and then the spot it goes in..it would be nice to see it dragged by the mouse..because crafting works right now..it is a bit of a hassle and doesnt feel very fun
-more crafting ideas such as:
{doors, chairs, tv, boats, fishing poles, flies (for fishing), guns, bows, arrows, tables, beds, fences, etc..}
-ladders should be able to be walked up by pushing forward or when your facing back to the ladder..facing backwards

-There should be a special vehicle creation system..kind of like lego blocks:
you could make the rack for the vehicles frame by doing

NULL NULL NULL
STEEL STEEL STEEL
STEEL NULL STEEL

you would need to create 2 racks..which are placed on the ground with 2 blocks in between
then create the frame like

NULL STEEL NULL
STEEL STEEL STEEL
NULL STEEL NULL

then select the frame and right click one of the racks and your vehicles frame will be placed on them

Now the axle would be simple maybe just this to craft it:

NULL NULL NULL
STEEL STEEL NULL
NULL NULL NULL

right click the edges of the frame where car wheels would go and they would attach to the frame

And for the tires:

celeron you could add in a rubber tree..which you have to craft a bucket and then right click the tree to attach the bucket to the tree

and then create a faucet somehow and attach it a block ahead..and that would trigger a timer which the bucket would be full with rubber and you can right click the bucket again to put it in your inventory ..then go to your crafting table and put the bucket in to get rubber ingots..which if you put them in the crafting bench like this:

RUBBER RUBBER RUBBER
RUBBER NULL RUBBER
RUBBER RUBBER RUBBER

it would create a tire..make 4 tires and then go to the axles..and while the tires are selected..right click the axles and BAM! the tires are on the axles

Now for the final part of the vehicle crafting,

You could have 3 body types..pickup truck..van..or station wagon
this is how to craft each:
PICKUP TRUCK:

NULL STEEL NULL
STEEL STEEL STEEL
STEEL STEEL STEEL

VAN:

STEEL STEEL NULL
STEEL STEEL STEEL
STEEL STEEL STEEL

STATION WAGON:

NULL STEEL STEEL
STEEL STEEL STEEL
STEEL STEEL STEEL

and when you put the body into your inventory and right click the frame of the car the body would appear on the car ..and it would be drivable!

also when its created ..it should have physics..like when your taking the racks out from underneath..when you take one out that end falls and the wheels absorb some of the shock!

finally about the vehicles..they should have trunks that are like large chests in minecraft..which you can put your mese, steel, or whatever you have in the back and drive it to a new location

Blocks:
-there should be many more block types, like iron ore, diamond, platinum, uranium, magnesium, gold, petroleum blocks, etc..
-when blocks like sand or gravel and clay are dug out from underneath they should fall
-blocks should look nice..have an artist make a texture pack..and we could all vote on the best looking one..and the best looking one becomes the default texture pack for minetest!
-the block breaking animation should also be overhauled..the texture looks a bit ugly
-cactus blocks should be harmful..take away 1-2 hearts every few seconds
-sand blocks should leave foot prints

Liquids:
-water should update alot faster, it updates slower than lava
-water and lava should also have an animation (maybe a gif)
-lava should set things on fire..and turn cobblestone into stone
-lava shouldnt kill you almost instantly..but it should hurt you 1-4 stars every second
-more water underground
-GIANT lava pits underground and above ground
-deep underground (400+) there should be radioactive water..water becomes radioactive water when it passes a uranium block..only the water downstream becomes radioactive and hazardous...everything upstream is uneffected UNLESS the uranium is in a body of water..then the body of water and all streams become radioactive
-there should be tar.. you could make it like:
STONE STONE STONE
STONE WATER STONE
STONE BUCKET STONE

and when you place it down..it flows in the speed between lava and water..and after a few seconds it turns into stone..also you will get trapped if a you fall in and the block solidifies..because the tar is like cobweb from minecraft..and you will have to mine the block to get out

i have more ideas but i want to see what you guys think of this first
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.