[Voxelgarden] The Ocean Experiment

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

[Voxelgarden] The Ocean Experiment

by Casimir » Post

It started out with only water and a hand full of basic materials. Everything else is created by players. (Think skyblock but with water.)

IP: 68.183.213.233
Port: 30000
Subgame: Voxelgarden
Mods: unternull, die_on_logout, scaffolding, LVT
Privileges: shout, interact

Recipes to know
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Cobble

BB
BB

B = broken stone

Sticks 6

L
L
L

L = Leaves

horizontal Tree 2

# T
T #

T = Tree
# = nothing

Axe

M S
M S
# S

M = Material (rock, copper ingot, steel ingot)
S = Stick
# = nothing
Also take a look into the craft guide.
There is just a big ocean. You have interact by default, there is no protection, no moderation, no land. If there are any technical or other problems write me a PN. One reason for this is to test how the subgame behaves on a server. So, if you notice any bugs or design issues, just tell me.
Last edited by Casimir on Sat Oct 17, 2020 17:37, edited 7 times in total.

Casimir

Re: [Voxelgarden] Unter Null (just ocean)

by Casimir » Post

The current state.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I now added the crushingfurnace from LogoSkyBlock and disabled the buckets.
With the crushingfurnace you can turn cobble into gravel and gravel into sand. The buckets are disabled because it makes the evolution of the landscape more interesting when there is all water but you can not move it. So there will never be water above y=0.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: I now added the crushingfurnace from LogoSkyBlock and disabled the buckets.
With the crushingfurnace you can turn cobble into gravel and gravel into sand.
How can such a crushingfurnace be crafted? Do you have a link at hand for the mod that provides one?

It's good to see how the server develops. It seems to attract players who are capable of creating good buildings with few materials at hand. There's still not too much, but what is there is nice.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

https://github.com/CasimirKaPazi/untern ... ingfurnace

Crushingfurnace

C C C
  S  
C C C

C = Cobble
S = Stick
The recipe is supposed to look like two millstones connected by a stick. The "mill" still has the original textures but I will change them to something that more resembles the recipe. (Don't ask me why you fuel millstones with coal. Maybe the stick is gas powered.)

Oh, and there now is the mapfix mod you can use to clean the very common light bugs. Use /mapfix

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The server has progressed nicely. Can you create an overview image so that all the new islands can be seen and visited?

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

A screenshot made from a new tower, only build for the purpose of making a screenshot.
And the known area of the world as map.
The hidden regions seem to be quite interesting...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: And the known area of the world as map.
I'm pretty sure there's more than what's on that tiny map. Can you do one of the entire server? I'm missing at least one house that I saw by chance (met the player who built it).

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Sorry. I won't post a whole map. Those players probably build far away because they don't want their house to be found that easy. But I guess with the server progressing those get found again and probably someone will connect them to the rest.
It is beautiful to see how with the core island growing, things become connected over time and merge into one landmass with a mostly consistent but diverse style.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

A new map. Also the server is up again.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

HI!

I love playing on this server, it is quite the challenge and also, a new way of thinking. What I mean is that there is no protection at all, so it real is a team effort, also, it tests our greedy natural ways. let's be honest, we all like to build and collect. This server prevents that to a certain extent, once your cache is found, it will vanish in short order!

I started a few days ago, earlier this week and found it interesting. As I was collecting bones and building a sky fort it dawned on me: " Hey, maybe being so close to spawn isn't such a good idea..." So we made haste to the outlands, waterworld if you will...
Maikerumine, Disableclouds, Twoelk, and Death's place..
I made a decent farm and house out in the water away from spawn, a few friends joined me and made a HUGE village. We had it all, even a Nyan Cat tail piece appended to the main house. No sooner than later, in the score of a day and a half, it was found, and on the third day the Nyan, apples, bread, tools (before crafting ore was obsolete), a few beds and torches were ganked! just like that! We all knew it was a possibility, but continued to build and farm as much as we could. Once the first set of "stranger danger" bone's were found, I knew it was all over, like your beautiful build of the house on the circle plantation, now ravaged. Just like spawn, ravaged! As of a few days ago, there was dirt and trees on the main island, now it is a cobble heap, sad sight yet interesting to see how the player dynamic works out in this world.

I really like what and where you are going with this server, it posts great challenge, similar to the Just Test server (My Fav) yet it offers new crafting and intense farming logistics to boot. I really like the simplistic nodes and recipes, it really adds to the depth of a different world. and since there is no way to horde items, that means the items (unless dropped through mining) are always in world and there for the taking.
A house and boat by Twoelk:
What came first:

The Papyrus root or the sapling?

Good job, I just wanted to say.
Attachments
screenshot_24990577.png
screenshot_24990577.png (323.02 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
screenshot_24787179.png
screenshot_24787179.png (630.25 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Builder123
IRC: Builder123
In-game: Builder123

Entered in the Netherworld

by Builder123 » Post

Good day,

I have lost my position in the game (cant see anything) and I can not reset myself to spawn. Would someone be so kind as to place me at spawn upon my next login?

(Update: The World was loading slowly today - never mind)

Is there a subgame featuring this world availble for offline play? Please advise.

Love this world!! Quick load and play - a wonderful concept!

Thanks

Update: The server was loading slowly - never mind.... thanks

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Entered in the Netherworld

by twoelk » Post

Builder123 wrote:Good day,

I have lost my position in the game (cant see anything) and I can not reset myself to spawn. Would someone be so kind as to place me at spawn upon my next login?

(Update: The World was loading slowly today - never mind)

Is there a subgame featuring this world availble for offline play? Please advise.

Love this world!! Quick load and play - a wonderful concept!

Thanks

Update: The server was loading slowly - never mind.... thanks

Casimir offered maps for download in november here
Both maps use his Voxelgarden subgame.

You can also add the setting

enable_local_map_saving = true
to your minetest.conf and you will have a local copy of those parts of the map that you visit. Beware though that it writes as you visit the place, so if you want to save something important, make a backup while offline becaus when you visit a place that has changed since your last visit all new information will overwrite the old local copy of the map in the instance you see it and normally there is no undo function.

Having a local copy is also very useful for creating overview maps with the minetestmapper.

bpatlarge
In-game: bpatlarge

by bpatlarge » Post

I've been trying to connect to the server (178.62.146.72:30001) for allmost 2 weeks now, without succes. My client just stays in the screen saying 'Connecting to server...' and nothing else happens. Is the server still active?
I've been building an island in the north-east at (300,0,300) called Little Britain :-)

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thank you that you notify me. There is a bug with inventory++ that causes the server to crash some times, and I don't check that often if it is online.

bpatlarge

by bpatlarge » Post

Working again... Thanks!

bpatlarge

by bpatlarge » Post

Iron ore is not cookable anymore. So you can't make steel ingots.
In the recipe help the first recipe for steel ingot shows an unknown item as input.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Oh, fixed now. I changed ore lumps to be the same as the stone ore. And in the recipe i wrote "default:stone_with_steel" instead of "default:stone_with_iron" . . .

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

PLEASE post ALL changes as you go. The recent bones inventory deletion change really sucks. I lost 90 dirt after farming for a very long time tonight.. :/

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

maikerumine wrote:PLEASE post ALL changes as you go. The recent bones inventory deletion change really sucks. I lost 90 dirt after farming for a very long time tonight.. :/
Yes, I also got very annoyed when I saw a "Chest" which was locked.
I had enough wood to make a chest but I thought I should get some iron first and now - everything's gone.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Builder123
IRC: Builder123
In-game: Builder123

Ocean Experiment - Local Subgame

by Builder123 » Post

I had serialization errors to start with, but I finally extracted the files to the correct folders and the game works. 100% water along with all the constriants established by this game. One word: Awesome!

Thanks for your help!

I will enjoy this game even offline!

Builder123

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I've visited the copy on port 30002 yesterday and was sad about how bad it looked. The stone roof of my house is left - plus some other stone nodes. Admittedly, the original is...less...griefed. The house on port 30000 was also damaged last time I saw it.

The textures are nice, the game is well designed, it's fun to build - *but* - the server as such is an utter failure. You can run a server without protection - if you do have moderators, rollback and extensive logfiles. Or a very well maintained whitelist. You can even do to some degree without protection and extensive material caches in locked chests - if you're doing a PvP/PvE server and building is limited to a few protective walls here and there, like i.e. AdventureTest. But what happend on these servers was that people saw nice textures and build small but nice houses and islands. Those deserve protection in one way or another.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:I've visited the copy on port 30002 yesterday and was sad about how bad it looked. The stone roof of my house is left - plus some other stone nodes. Admittedly, the original is...less...griefed. The house on port 30000 was also damaged last time I saw it.

The textures are nice, the game is well designed, it's fun to build - *but* - the server as such is an utter failure. You can run a server without protection - if you do have moderators, rollback and extensive logfiles. Or a very well maintained whitelist. You can even do to some degree without protection and extensive material caches in locked chests - if you're doing a PvP/PvE server and building is limited to a few protective walls here and there, like i.e. AdventureTest. But what happend on these servers was that people saw nice textures and build small but nice houses and islands. Those deserve protection in one way or another.
Agreed. I came into this knowing all would be destroyed, but then got attached to my builds and farms. It would be nice to at least have areas protection, a few of us have put a ton of time into making very large farms and islands. Spawn is nothing but debris, this encourages others to destroy other builds as they have nothing. Maybe have a spawn with nice resources and protection to help people to get started? Just a thought.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

You can build your house out of locked chests (make sure you put items in them, or they will be breakable) and locked doors.

Not only will your house be unbreakable, as a bonus you also get extra storage space!

But keep in mind, people can get in by breaking the blocks and walking through before they get replaced. You'll need to make the wall around 3 nodes thick, especially on the top.

Maybe only use this for part of your house, and make it around 5 blocks thick.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

12Me21 wrote:You can build your house out of locked chests ... and locked doors.
nope, not availiable.
As it seems safe and static property is not the plan of this server but rather the idea that everybody has unmoderated access to everything at all times. So like a large ammoebia the nodes and structures of this world are in constant change and rearrangement. Momments of beauty or only random and brief winks of an eye in time. As such it seems the accumulation of beauty is not the aim of this server but rather the constant and somewhat chaotic change.

Who says Gaia has to be at all times beautiful to the human eye?

As such I guess I won't get old on this server - but at the moment the challenges to get things done are quite interesting and although some four or more fires have destroyed my constructions I still have some ideas how to construct the ultimate fail-safe and newbie-safe cobblegenerator that I have yet to test.

The only thing that sort of disturbs me is that you have to tell newbies that the only way to get started without gifts from others is by raiding old bones. So once told to to so they never stop raiding other peoples things. There must be better ways to get productive starting with an empty inventory. Ok, lets name it; there must be more ethical acceptical ways. This part of the gameplay of Voxelgarden could be improved for the water-world scenario.