Which mobs mods fits best together

greencopper

Which mobs mods fits best together

by greencopper » Post

Hi

So far a lot of different mobs mods has been made, a lot based upon each other, and I am really finding it difficult to figure out which goes well together.

I would like to have both friendly (cows, sheep, etc.) and hostile mobs too on the same server.

Any advice in which to combine?

Thanks.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: Which mobs mods fits best together

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mobs Redo mod has a good selection of hostiles and friendly mobs:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9917

greencopper

by greencopper » Post

Does it work well with other mobs mods too?

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

It all depends. Most mobs mods based on Simple Mobs by PilzAdam play fairly well together, but sometimes a certain mob will be registered multiple times, such as having three identical breeds of sheep. Generally, mixing mobs mods is OK... but not recommended. If you need more than one, make sure to eliminate duplicate code. Also, for servers, mobf may be the nicest mobs, but they are huge CPU drains. Use with caution.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

I highly suggest not using several mob mobs on the same server. It results in lower performance and less consistency.

greencopper

by greencopper » Post

Thanks! I have cleaned up and kept only a couple of mobs mods that seems to work well together.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

May I ask what mobs you decided to use?
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I made Mobs Redo more as an api to build other mods onto... so long as the api is running you can add as many other mob mobs that use it...

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I know from experience that currently, almost all mob mobs are a huge mess as soon as you want to combine them. It is not always possible to easily combine them.
First of all, it is an absolute no-brainer to combine Mob Framework with Simple Mobs or with one of its countless forks. I am not talking about this.

I am only talking about Simple Mobs and its countless forks.

I have tried to add a couple of mob mods into my subgame “Weird”. And I ran into problems quickly.

One problem is only thanks to general clumsiness. Some forks of PilzAdam's Simple Mobs mod did not even bother to rename the main table, so it will simply overwrite the other main table of another mob mod and the entire API and mods of the other mod is gone in runtime.
It was a subtle problem, because it didn't cause any direct messages or crashes. I just wondered why some mobs never appeared.

I also had some crashes which I had to fix first, I don't remember which ones.

Also, at is has been said, this is a bad idea anyways because there are multiple mob APIs at the same installed in Weird, all using their own routines to handle “their” mobs.

Therefore, the fact that many are forked from Simple Mobs does not automatically mean they work well together. They don't, sorry.

What I hate with most mob APIs including Mobs Redo is that they all carry along their own cruft. Not only is there fork after fork after fork of Simple Mobs, but they also use their own API. We have multiple APIs which are basically all doing the same more or less, but they don't cooperate at all, of course.

There seems to be little interest in a pure API, an API which does not register any mob, only a mod to depend upon.

[mobapi] from Casimir seems nice, I already have adopted this mod for my subgame “Weird”. I have completely ditched all other mob mods from Weird only in favor for [mobapi] and started over. And so far it works pretty nice.

The idea is to have one API mod and all other mod just use this API to add their mod, so there is no redundancy and there is no senseless overhead.

IMO this mod needs more widespread adoption and interest, especially mods which actually add mods by using this API. So far, the only mobs which have been (re-)implemented with [mobapi] are PilzAdam's Simple Mobs ([mobs_simple], you find it in the [mobapi] thread) and my few Weird mobs (and ports).

But I think the mod also needs more love, it lacks in documentation.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Wow wuzzy, I had no idea you hated my mod ?!?! is it the fact that I'm trying to make a mob api that adds new features or just that it's not basic ?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I do not exactly hate Mobs Redo, but I think the way it is organized is not suitable to fit subgame creator's needs. I also think that some of the technical details of it are insane. I still used it from time in my singleplayer world, however. The mobs themselves are pretty nice.

What pisses me off about Mobs Redo:
  • You chose the name “[mobs]”, thus creating a serious name clash in mod space (according to wiki, we have 4 mods with this short name). IMO it is a bad idea when creating such a name clash, even if the mods are not supposed to work together. You are robbing players of the possiblity to at least install these mods next to each other (while not actually using all of them at the same time). Currently, it is not possible to install more than one of these. Unless you manually rename them. But this task is non-trivial to do and should not be expected from mod users.
  • You use the same name for the main table as PilzAdam's Simple Mobs mod, thus creating the problem of potentionally overwritten tables (I already explained this)
  • Nothing of these incompatibilites is documented
  • Your mod is not a pure API, it already adds monsters with it.
  • The API is not documented at all, or did I overlook it? This is a problem with many mob mods with API, sadly. :-(
Mobs Redo is not alone with these problems, in fact, many other Simple Mobs forks have these or some of these problems.

Mobs Redo, like many other Simple Mobs forks, works perfectly fine as long as you use this as your only mob mod on your server or singleplayer world. But as soon you want to combine it with another mob mod, you are basically completely screwed.
Mobs Redo is probably alright for many players who just want to activate mobs quickly and be done with it. But they must be aware of the possible breakdowns when trying to combine it.
IMO a pure API is much more useful when creating subgame.

It would be really nice btw if you push any changes to your API also to Casimir's [mobapi], so it can be actually reused in a sane way. But I don't demand it, do whatever you want with Mobs Redo or [mobapi]. :D

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I made mobs redo as a base mob setup that provides a good number of animals and monsters along with supporting food items, and the reason I kept [mods] as a name is because I made it as a drop in replacement from PilzAdam's own mods mob which it was built upon with a number of needed additions to make things more playable... I will however add to the download page that it is incompatible with other mobs mobs...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wuzzy wrote: The idea is to have one API mod and all other mod just use this API to add their mod, so there is no redundancy and there is no senseless overhead.
That would be preferable, yes. Why can't a basic mobs api be included in minetest_game? That's after all still the basic thing, and people do miss mods. Mods bundling mobs could then use those api calls (at least those the api provides). If a player doesn't like the api that comes with minetest_game, he might replace it with another version that fits more to his needs - without having to change the mods that add the mobs themshelves (models, description, texture, ...).
A list of my mods can be found here.