[Voxelgarden] The Ocean Experiment

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

Re: [Voxelgarden] Unter Null (just ocean)

by 12Me21 » Post

Could you add mesecons? Then you could use pistons to make secret doors and stuff.

Builder123
IRC: Builder123
In-game: Builder123

Unter Null (just ocean) - Port 30002 Status and File Request

by Builder123 » Post

I have been experiencing difficilties reaching the server on port 30002. The server at Port 30001 is runnung fine - however I am not sure if the server at port 30002 has been permanently deactivated. I have spent many hours on construction of my underwater base.

Please advise what will happen to the server at port 30002.

* If the server is to be restarted and availble please advise the estimated time for availability.

* If the server is to be permanently removed:

- Would it be possible one of your admininstrators to make a .we file of my base and send to me?

I have the voxelgarden game with unternull server running locally on my machine and I would love to insert my base at my home version of Voxelgarden.

Of course I started a new character on Port 30001 and I am starting all over. I love the unternull game.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Builder123

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Uhm.. this sucks if you are deleting the server. a few of us really put some hard work int this.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: Uhm.. this sucks if you are deleting the server. a few of us really put some hard work int this.
Do you at least have a local backup?

I'm considering putting up some Carbone based worlds together where I built small houses on servers that didn't make it. Havn't found the time yet :-(
A list of my mods can be found here.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

"error in error handling" This and other things crash the server almost every day. I did not shut it down, I was just sleeping during the time I started it yesterday and now.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Good to hear that the server is up again. But you really ought to add some sort of protection. People do like your server and start building. The textures are nice, there are other small buildings from other players - that is attractive. And then those builders are left alone. If you really can't warm up to protection against griefers, perhaps those buildings might be exported to another server.

Builder123

Not Connecting again - Server Status Update Request

by Builder123 » Post

I have accessed the server at port 30002 only once in the last three days. I just tried ports 30001 and 30002 with no connection made to the server. Has there been any changes to the IP? Please advise.

Thanks

P.S. Playing Unternull across home network successfully - Q: Mobs have yet to spawn - is there an updated flat_mob, or mobapi that I need for mob spawn? (I can /spawnentity - but I have not collected any ores from the mobs either - nothing is dropped)

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

One thing I wanted to know is: Can you run a server without much (any) work of maintenance? The answer is: No, not with all those problems.

The server is shut down completely now. I have many other things to do. Also it did not turn out the way I expected it to do. One big problem of minetest is that the majority of players uses an android version, and therefor they are not able to craft or to place blocks where they want them to have.

@ Builder123
The mobs_flat mod was modified on that server. Just add drops = "modname:something" into the definition. They also spawn rare, to change that reduce the high number in the spawn definition.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: One thing I wanted to know is: Can you run a server without much (any) work of maintenance? The answer is: No, not with all those problems.
Hmm. It works quite well with Redcrabs server, even though that could do with *some* maintenance. But just keep in mind that Redcrab is seen no more than about once a year by now - and still his server runs. It might have to do with investing a lot of time at the beginning so that it'll run good for a while even after that.
Casimir wrote: The server is shut down completely now. I have many other things to do. Also it did not turn out the way I expected it to do. One big problem of minetest is that the majority of players uses an android version, and therefor they are not able to craft or to place blocks where they want them to have.
The android version seems indeed more difficult to handle. I'm still amazed how players manage to get along with it. But all that griefing cannot be blamed on that alone. Young children are pretty often bored if they don't get immediate response/success and then start to cause trouble. It helps to appoint moderators who may take care of trouble on the server, but all that admittedly does take time.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
maikerumine wrote: Uhm.. this sucks if you are deleting the server. a few of us really put some hard work int this.
Do you at least have a local backup?

I'm considering putting up some Carbone based worlds together where I built small houses on servers that didn't make it. Havn't found the time yet :-(
Yes, lucky to have used 4.12 instead of 4.11 due to map glitches. It is the rush of risking it all whilst playing online that makes it more intense.

Casimir wrote:One thing I wanted to know is: Can you run a server without much (any) work of maintenance? The answer is: No, not with all those problems.

The server is shut down completely now. I have many other things to do. Also it did not turn out the way I expected it to do. One big problem of minetest is that the majority of players uses an android version, and therefor they are not able to craft or to place blocks where they want them to have.
Too bad the server is down for good, would it be possible to post a world map of the server so we could see how far people started villages? or could you post a download of the server map?

I too really liked this map and idea, I am sorry it didn't turn out the way you had planned. What was your plan? If you don't mind me asking?

Builder123

Server Shut Down

by Builder123 » Post

I weep greatly at the news of the loss of this great site. Of course PC play is better than android, especially under water. I don't think that the Ocean Experiment was a failure at all. The word experiment defines an unknown outcome. A true scientist - be it mechanical or social should be looking at growth/destruction patterns as well as the intensity of the conversations between players. Ah, but who am I to question your intent or desired outcome predictions.

OK, I am getting closer to replicating all the elements of the Ocean Experiment subgame on my server. I have reviewed the API for the mobs and tweaked some code, however I believe that the mods on github may not be current as I can not get the mobs to drop anything. I used:

drops = {name = "default:mese",
chance = 100,
min = 1,
max = 2,},

...in the mobs_flat init.lua

Is the chance ranged from 1 (least possible drop) to 100 (max possible drop)?

Thanks for the lesson in mod settings in advance.

P.S. If you have updated your mods for this subgame since its release, is it possible for you to update your mods on github? This would simplify the process and I won't have to struggle to reinvent the wheel.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

In the attachment there are all the mods, unsorted and anything.
Attachments
mods.tar.gz
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 124 times

Builder123

by Builder123 » Post

Thanks for the mods - also I see it was downloaded 5 times - it is a great subgame!

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Make that 6 times!

Builder123

by Builder123 » Post

Make that 10 times!

Builder123

by Builder123 » Post

I missed Unter Null so much that I want to take my home network server and place it on a VPS for others to enjoy. I added protection mods and this version allows for locked chests, etc. in order to make it builder friendly.

Would there be any problem placing the server on the public server list?

Thanks

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

No problem at all. I would love to play on that server as a guest.

Builder123

by Builder123 » Post

Thanks Casimir!

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

The server is running again. I don't know for how long. Address is in the first post.

While the server was offline I kept playing in the world from time to time, so the land area grew a bit. You can still see some of the destruction that happened when it was on the public server list.

Sokomine

Re: [Voxelgarden] The Ocean Experiment

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: The server is running again. I don't know for how long. Address is in the first post.
Is it down again already? Can't connect :-(
Casimir wrote: You can still see some of the destruction that happened when it was on the public server list.
Will you address these issues and add the mods needed to play on such a server, i.e. some form of protection (areas or protector_redo for example), locked chests and definitely no die_on_logout mod? It would be very nice to have a voxelgarden/unter null server running again. Concept and textures are very nice. But without protection...there's no point.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

I wasn't able to connect too.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

It crashed yesterday because of some furnace related issue, but is up again. I'll look into that. Edit: fixed

I would like to add some protection, but I don't like the existing protection mods. In the ocean experiment, since everything in the world was created by players, it would be devastating to the world if players could remove resources out of public access. Imagine someone joins, digs some nodes, empties some chests and then gets bored, quits and never comes back. All the resources are then lost to the other players. Same problem applies to locked chests.

The one thing I would add is a protection mod that does not protect for ever, but need some kind of fuel or payment. Similar to the concept of a land value tax. Then players could protect their building as long as they are interested in that server. When they don't refuel for a while the area becomes free again for others to claim.
I have some loose concepts for how this would work, but not the time to code it. If there is any similar mod that I missed, please provide a link and I will look into it.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Casimir wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 18:49
It crashed yesterday because of some furnace related issue, but is up again. I'll look into that. Edit: fixed

I would like to add some protection, but I don't like the existing protection mods. In the ocean experiment, since everything in the world was created by players, it would be devastating to the world if players could remove resources out of public access. Imagine someone joins, digs some nodes, empties some chests and then gets bored, quits and never comes back. All the resources are then lost to the other players. Same problem applies to locked chests.

The one thing I would add is a protection mod that does not protect for ever, but need some kind of fuel or payment. Similar to the concept of a land value tax. Then players could protect their building as long as they are interested in that server. When they don't refuel for a while the area becomes free again for others to claim.
I have some loose concepts for how this would work, but not the time to code it. If there is any similar mod that I missed, please provide a link and I will look into it.
https://github.com/AndrejIT/minetest-protect
Lag from JT made this, just comment out the protectors and keep the braziers. :)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Found my base with Death, Disableclouds, and Twoelk as it was!

Sign is dated 20150306
Over 5 years ago o_O My oh my.

Thank you for reopening your server, it is VERY unique and most enjoyable to build something from absolute nothing in a vast ocean. I forgotted how much I missed the sounds from voxelgarden...

Thanks once again Casimir!
Attachments
screenshot_20200928_212649.png
screenshot_20200928_212649.png (363.64 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: It crashed yesterday because of some furnace related issue, but is up again. I'll look into that. Edit: fixed
Can't join...down again?
Casimir wrote: Imagine someone joins, digs some nodes, empties some chests and then gets bored, quits and never comes back.
How dramatic. But it only is so if you make it to be that way. It's a virtual world - not RL.
Casimir wrote: The one thing I would add is a protection mod that does not protect for ever, but need some kind of fuel or payment. Similar to the concept of a land value tax
That's insufficient for me.
maikaumine wrote: it is VERY unique and most enjoyable to build something from absolute nothing in a vast ocean.
Yes, indeed. But that does not seem to be the intended way? Instead of starting with a single papyrus root, slowly working forward to get more of them, to craft first dirt, plant trees and get wood, place lava on water to slowly gather some cobble, building cobble grounds to attract mobs which can be killed for ores...we're supposed to steal what other people have crafted and harvested? Why?

The ressources in a Voxelgarden world are not necessarily limited. In the end, most (all?) springs from the single papyrus root the player needs to be given once in order to get started, and which can - through growing new papyrus - be turned into more roots. There are no ores to dig for. It's like a skyblock game but on water.

Granted, the ocean surface is finite. So far no server I know of has run out of land to build on. And some large ones have run for years. Some few servers restart with a new map now and then, but even those mostly suffer from the land around spawn beeing used and new players having to walk far away in order to find a place to build. Efficient means of travelling (i.e. my travelnet mod) can help. Keeping roads open also helps. That requires some limited amount of planning and/or intervention. Spawn needs to be sufficiently open for players to meet. The risks are even less big than for "normal" servers: After all players have to build the land first in order to be able to put something on it.

In the end, the danger may lie more in established players willing to do too much for new players (i.e. huge public farms) so that starting later on becomes way easier than before, depriving newer players a bit of the sense of having accomplished something on their own.

The entire point of a server instead of a local game is that players can build together and share what they have. Having to hide far away, hoping that nobody ever finds out where these players are due to stealing and griefing beeing propagated by the server owner - why then play on a server at all?

Voxelgarden is a very nice game. It comes with few nodes, has some progression built in, has some very nice textures and sounds. It's well suited for a tiny server. Why on earth (or the sea :)) does it have to have elements of harming others deliberately and as a goal of the game? If you really want to fight, can't you go to that capture the flag server Rubenwardy runs? Lots of players seem to enjoy that one. Or create a copy of the map and destroy it in singleplayer if that makes you any happier...but don't destroy your game or server by omitting those things that are needed for running it.

It's great to see that the game is on the contentdb.