[MOD] skyplatform [skyplatform]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

[MOD] skyplatform [skyplatform]

by Sokomine » Post

If you want a flat surface to build on, this mod does it. It creates skyplatforms which are sourrounded by walls so that you don't fall off. Mapgen is set to singlenode/air so that no normal terrain will be created.

You can add new skyplatforms with the /newskyplatform <height> command, with height beeing something divisible by 100. Each platform has a size of 100x100 blocks and can be expanded by first trying to dig (and thus updating) the chests in the middle of the walls and then right-clicking the chests. Diffrent types of platfors are offered, so you can add a small "ocean" or a wheat field if you like.
The /spawn command brings you back to the initial platform at 0,0,0. It may be necessary to type /spawn several times if you're creating a new world and falling down. The inside of the initial skyplatform looks like this:

The mod is still experimental and may contain bugs.

Plans for the future: Adding machines (cobble generator, ore extractor, greenhouse) so that all materials from default become available. After all you can't dig most of them in here.

Download: https://github.com/Sokomine/skyplatform/zipball/master
Browse code: https://github.com/Sokomine/skyplatform

Depends on: default
License: GPLv3
Attachments
A skyplatform from the inside
A skyplatform from the inside
screenshot_921550307.png (117.17 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Diffrent types of platforms
Diffrent types of platforms
skyplatform_selection.png (48.19 KiB) Viewed 827 times
A skyplatform that has been expanded several times
A skyplatform that has been expanded several times
screenshot_921420852.png (194.21 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Last edited by Sokomine on Sun Mar 20, 2016 19:38, edited 3 times in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: skyplatform [WIP]

by Don » Post

FYI - Just noticed that the title says WIP but this is in mod releases.

Cool mod.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: skyplatform [WIP]

by Krock » Post

Wrong title format.

Seriously, this is a fantastic idea! I hope you can add more different landscapes :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine

Re: skyplatform

by Sokomine » Post

Don wrote: FYI - Just noticed that the title says WIP but this is in mod releases.
Yes, that's right. It got moved. But that doesn't matter - after all Mod Releases is where it really belongs to. All that's going to be added to the mod in a second step will be some machines for crafting materials and bug fixes if the need arises.

Here is another screenshot, showing a skyplatform created with /newskyplatform 1000 above the one in the original post. Note that each square is still 100x100 nodes in size. They just appear tiny from that distance.

And here's the side view of the schematic that's used for spawning each platform. The topmost layer (sandstonebrick) can be replaced by plants as seen in the "wheatfarm" version, and the streets can be removed if their material is replaced with air.
Attachments
screenshot_946897449.png
screenshot_946897449.png (432.8 KiB) Viewed 827 times
screenshot_921619883.png
screenshot_921619883.png (113.07 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Modern Hippie

Re: [MOD] skyplatform (skyplatform)

by Modern Hippie » Post

Don't know why but my Minetest (0.4.12) crashes every time I try to do /newskyplatform 100 for example. Is it a bug? Or should I have another required mod? Please answer soon. Thanks :D
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!

pilcrow

by pilcrow » Post

I don't get Modern Hippie's problem, but the initial platform is never created for me. when starting a new game, I spawn falling through empty space, and if I grant myself fly and go back up to 0,0,0 there is no platform there. I have to make a new one using /newskyplatform 0

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Modern Hippie wrote: Don't know why but my Minetest (0.4.12) crashes every time I try to do /newskyplatform 100 for example. Is it a bug? Or should I have another required mod? Please answer soon. Thanks :D
That's odd. 0.4.12 ought to be recent enough. Do you get an error message? The last lines of your debug.txt might be helpful.
A distance of 100 is a bit close anyway. It's better if you increase in steps of 1000 in order to avoid shadows. There's plenty of space up- and downwards.
pilcrow wrote: I don't get Modern Hippie's problem, but the initial platform is never created for me. when starting a new game, I spawn falling through empty space, and if I grant myself fly and go back up to 0,0,0 there is no platform there. I have to make a new one using /newskyplatform 0
I've imporved the initial spawning process a bit so that the inital platform at a height of 0 ought to be created now without problems. Please try the new version!

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Modern Hippie wrote: Don't know why but my Minetest (0.4.12) crashes every time I try to do /newskyplatform 100 for example. Is it a bug? Or should I have another required mod? Please answer soon. Thanks :D
That's odd. 0.4.12 ought to be recent enough. Do you get an error message? The last lines of your debug.txt might be helpful.
Of course, here is it: But I don't understand what there is standing xD Perhaps it is useful for you?

Code: Select all

Irrlicht log: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.1
Irrlicht log:  (Build 9200)
Irrlicht log: Using renderer: OpenGL 4.2.0
Irrlicht log: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400: Intel
Irrlicht log: OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
Irrlicht log: GLSL version: 4.2
Irrlicht log: Resizing window (800 600)
17:14:40: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "air" accessed at ...Desktop\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\mods\skyplatform\init.lua:15
17:14:40: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __   
17:14:40: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_ 
17:14:40: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
17:14:40: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  |  
17:14:40: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__|  
17:14:40: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/        
17:14:40: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\Users\Florian\Desktop\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\worlds\Skyplatform Test]
17:14:40: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on 0.0.0.0:55231.
17:14:41: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
17:14:41: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: character.png
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!