Temperature.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Temperature.

by ABJ » Post

Could we have temperature again in Minetest? It would add depth to the game. I know it used to be there and was removed so I am asking it to be returned. Can you do this? Or is it too CPUI?

riff
IRC: riff
In-game: riff

Re: Temperature.

by riff » Post

sounds cool maybe ice could have a ABM for if you walk on it for too long or maybe when you lose health from falling off stuff it hurts 20% more at night than at day also you could add seasons but snow could not be in the default game because it would take up to much CPU, maybe we could work on this as a mod, I know a bit of lua do you? we could test it on my server
I used to be registered as nextmissinglink but I kinda want to start fresh.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

riff wrote:sounds cool maybe ice could have a ABM for if you walk on it for too long or maybe when you lose health from falling off stuff it hurts 20% more at night than at day also you could add seasons but snow could not be in the default game because it would take up to much CPU, maybe we could work on this as a mod, I know a bit of lua do you? we could test it on my server
I don't know lua, sadly. But if you (or someone else) could teach me, I will definitely help :) I'm very eager to mod MT.

riff
IRC: riff
In-game: riff

by riff » Post

ABJ wrote:
riff wrote:sounds cool maybe ice could have a ABM for if you walk on it for too long or maybe when you lose health from falling off stuff it hurts 20% more at night than at day also you could add seasons but snow could not be in the default game because it would take up to much CPU, maybe we could work on this as a mod, I know a bit of lua do you? we could test it on my server
I don't know lua, sadly. But if you (or someone else) could teach me, I will definitely help :) I'm very eager to mod MT.
yeah, do you know any other languages and have you tried the tutorial
I used to be registered as nextmissinglink but I kinda want to start fresh.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

This is, obviously, the best tutorial and guide to learning to mod:

http://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Dynamic temperature was removed but every mapgen has a per-node temperature for locating biomes.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

paramat wrote:Dynamic temperature was removed but every mapgen has a per-node temperature for locating biomes.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm talking about bringing back freezing water and melting ice and lava turning to obsidian etc

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This is, obviously, the best tutorial and guide to learning to mod:

http://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/
You have a website? Yaaaay :D

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Thanks rubenwardy now I've made my first node :D it's little more than a diamond that's been slimed :P

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

paramat wrote:every mapgen has a per-node temperature for locating biomes.
Weather : we need normalizations !
That's a big issue in Minetest.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

ABJ wrote:Thanks rubenwardy now I've made my first node :D it's little more than a diamond that's been slimed :P
can we see the code? (and textures?)

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

12Me21 wrote:
ABJ wrote:Thanks rubenwardy now I've made my first node :D it's little more than a diamond that's been slimed :P
can we see the code? (and textures?)
As for the code..........

Code: Select all

minetest.register_node("basic_node:diamond", {
	description = "Alien Diamond",
	tiles = {"mymod_diamond.png"},
	is_ground_content = true,
	groups = {cracky=3, stone=1}
})
Texture (Original diamond block texture from Minetest_game by who ever made it E|:-))

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Dynamic temperature / humidity is too complex and unnecessary to be in core, so should be a mod thing. Seasonal changes should also be a mod thing because the Minetest world has no seasons, there is no tilt to the axis and the sun always goes overhead

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

paramat wrote:Seasonal changes should also be a mod thing because the Minetest world has no seasons, there is no tilt to the axis and the sun always goes overhead
While that might be true for light and rendering, obviously there is some kind of concept of years, which implies seasons of some sort conceptually. From minetest.conf.example:
# Length of year in days for seasons change.
# With default time_speed 365 days = 5 real days for year, 30 days = 10 real hours.
#year_days = 30

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Aha that's a leftover from dynamic climate, that needs to be removed, i might do this later.

proller

by proller » Post

dynamic temperature and humidity maps with seasons changing still available in freeminer.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

proller wrote:dynamic temperature and humidity maps with seasons changing still available in freeminer.
proller why did you actually have to remove that feature from Minetest? It really hit me hard on the chin.

proller

by proller » Post

Because other devs was against this features.
Also first versions was slow, and was impossible to improve things in minetest.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

proller wrote:Because other devs was against this features.
Also first versions was slow, and was impossible to improve things in minetest.
-It is still available as a mod?
-How was it not possible to do so?

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

BTW I just remembered:
I don't know how to run Freeminer. There is no .exe in there. And no bin folder as well. Is it uncompiled? ( >:( )

proller

by proller » Post

parts of weather (rain, snow, node definitions) works from mod. but only in freeminer ;)
latests windows build:
http://freeminer.setun.net/build/freemi ... -win32.zip
why you need bin folder ?