[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

WhiteKnight
In-game: BluAngel

Re: [0.4.10] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by WhiteKnight » Post

Hope someone sees this-
Ok. So, where am I supposed to download 0.4.12 for linux? All I can find is 0.4.11.
Someone please help me!

Zoig
In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Post

I think a pre-packaged version will be available soon in the ppa for Ubuntu and Mint.

There is also a daily / unstable ppa. But I was unable to identify the exact version in there.

If you really need the 0.4.12 for Linux, you can always download the newest .zip from github and compile yourself, but personally, I'd wait until it is available at the first ppa I mentioned.

Zoig
In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Post

I would like to use this adventurer skin:
Attachments
Adventurer_by_XSuperSaintX.png
Adventurer_by_XSuperSaintX.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 846 times

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.12] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

WhiteKnight, here is the download link page for Minetest: http://www.minetest.net/download

Zoig, your skin has been uploaded and will be activated after the next server restart (after the nightly backup).

WhiteKnight

by WhiteKnight » Post

Thanks. I was able to update my client to 0.4.11, and it works really well. I love that you can change key settings in-game. Thanks! :D

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Some more tweaks:
  • Gravel, sand, and desert sand now have stairs, slabs, and saw-made blocks. Unlike their full-block counterparts, these will not fall. This set of stairs/slabs/saw-made blocks was added for use in footpaths and also as more color and texture options for roofs and sculptures.
  • Locked chests can now be made from almost every ingot we have except mithril - too rare to waste on a chest.
  • Regular chests can now be upgraded to locked chest with almost every ingot except mithril.
  • Trap doors (when the door is "open") are climbable.
  • "Unknown item" removed from lrfurn mod's crafting recipe.
  • Hardwood's craft output has been increased from 2 to 4 (now 4 blocks of wood make 4 hardwood blocks).
  • The default bronze ingot craft out put has been increased from 1 to 2 (now 2 ingots make 2 ingots).
  • LinuxGaming custom mod, "OtherBlocks" has been added. This mod is a WIP and currently adds the old-style glass blocks that do not combine like the new glass does. This is a work around for the invisible-sided glass stairs, slabs, microblocks, and panels produced in MoreBlocks' circular saw.

BenAmaranth

by BenAmaranth » Post

Im currently uploading the 66 screenshots (so far) that I have taken in my jaunt around the server to imgur. I'll edit this post with the link when they are finished.

http://imgur.com/a/Z899b

Thats the link to the screenshots album

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Some pleasant and some unpleasant stuff. Bad first, good last.

The unpleasant stuff:

Bans are Permanent
Recently a couple players who where banned were given second and fouth chances. The first individual blew their chance within moments by swearing at the very staff member who reinstated them. The second individual had already been banned three times. Had I been aware of that at the time I would not have allowed them back.

As a result all bans are permanent now. There are many other Minetest servers out there banned players can go to.

If a "friend" constantly begs to have the banned player reinstated after being told "no", the "friend" will be banned too.

And now for the pleasant stuff:

Pretty Pics
@Ben: Thanks for the album link. Some nice, scenic shots from your explorations. ;)

Mod Update
A few more blocks were added to OtherBlocks. They are colored leaf blocks: "autumn_leaves - red, orange, yellow, and a mixed-colored leaf block (all three colors together), snowy-white pine needles, and a pink, cherry blossom leaf block. Each of these has a craft and a recycling craft. Default leaves (or pine needles) + the dye color to craft the leaves. To recycle put the colored leaves back into the craft grid and the dye color will appear in the output box. When you take the dye out, the colored leaves will turn back to the default, green leaves (or pine needels). The tri-colored leaf block is different. You have to put three tri-colored leaf blocks into the craft grid in a horizontal row. The default, green leaves will appear in the output box. When the green leaves are taken from the output box the three tri-color leaf blocks will turn into one dye each of red, orange, and yellow dye.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Minetest_game updated to 2015_03_17 GitHub release - changes to the mapgen code.
  • Default, random grass placed by players disabled. For a year or so now the server would sometimes crash when players placed default grass. This particular crash is rare and I haven't been able to replicate the cause to figure out how to fix it. So, after the last crash that happened this past week, I disabled the placing of random grass. So when a player places grass now, the grass will always be the same size instead of a random size. If you want random sized grass in places, use bonemeal. It does the job without crashing the server.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Some more "after upgrade" updates and tweaks. This process will take awhile to work through a lot of little things and several big things so there will be more "update" posts to come.

LinuxGaming runs two, very custom, mods: "Tweaks" overrides existing mods, where needed, to better suit our unique server and "OtherBlocks" adds custom blocks to fill in the gaps or just to add new stuff - most of which depends on Tweaks and our combination of customized mods.

Several of the upcoming updates will involve those two mods; one way or another.

I'm bringing this up for any new players (new to Minetest or new to our server), who may take the time to read this, so they know why a lot of mod stuff on our server works differently than the standard issue.

Ok, now for this round of updates info:
  • The mixed autumn leaves' recycling recipe has been changed so that the end results match the input. Put 3 mixed leaves in, get 3 regular leaves out and 3 of each dye required to make 3 mixed autumn leaves.
  • "DecoStones" have been added. This is an idea I've had on the shelf for a while. Part of it will help to solve some recipe and texture issues for our server. The other part is a set of pretty stones for fancy builds. ;)
    1. DecoStones have basic stairs and slabs and work in the circular saw.
    2. Two granite stones: pink-black and grey-black.
    3. Five marble stones: red, tan, green, blue, and black.
  • The white marble texture of HomeDecor's sub-mod "Building Blocks" has been changed to match the DecoStones' marble pattern as well as the white-marble-topped dishwasher. Later I'll expand the dishwasher and kitchen cabinet selection to include the other marbles and black granite so the dishwashers will match kitchen counter tops made from the circular saw.
  • Minetest_game has been updated to the 2015_03_21 GitHub release.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • minetest_game updated to 2015_03_25 GitHub release (no new toys - rework of flower's mapgen code).
  • Many crafting recipes overhauled and tailored to our server. Be sure to check alternate recipes thoroughly in the inventory's craft-guide mode.
  • Several recipes have been made cheaper by either increasing the output, using cheaper materials, or using simpler crafts.
  • Recipes created for items that didn't have any before.
  • "Unknown items" in recipes have been removed or fixed.
  • Duplicate recipes have been removed. Recipes that use half-slabs will have two, similar, recipes because the default half-slab and MoreBlocks half-slab look alike.
  • New crafting recipe for clay blocks. 4 clay blocks = 2 dirt + 2 of either sands (or one of each) + water bucket (bucket returns empty).
  • New crafting recipe for moonrocks. 18 moonrocks = 8 diamonds around a mese crystal in the center slot.
  • New crafting recipe for antimoonrocks. 18 antimoonrocks = 8 mese crystals around a diamond in the center slot.
The idea behind making recipes cheaper is to encourage players to decorate and furnish their builds more. Special items like antimoon/moonrocks and nyan cats are going to remain expensive.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • minetest_game updated to the 2015_03_26 GitHub release. No new toys (there are some new things in the 2015_03_29 release). The update is paramat's code work on the default mapgen.
  • HomeDecor updated - new "bathroom_set", new "green trash can", a new exterior ceiling lantern, more items converted to meshes, and I've created or tweaked a few more recipes to better suit our server.
    • The green trash can is for deleting items in bulk. It will delete any items placed in its inventory.
    • Throwing items at the trash can will not work.
    • You have to punch the green trash can, then right-click on it to get to its inventory, move stuff from your inventory into the trash can's inventory and then either click on the "Empy Trash" button or close out of the inventory and punch or dig the green trash can.
  • PlantLife updated - Sunflowers now spawn in warm, sunny, open spaces of grassland.
    • Sunflowers are like regular flowers in that you have to go out and forage for them.
    • Sunflowers do not grow like wheat and cotton crops or papyrus and cactus or tree saplings. They just randomly spawn on grass.
    • Digging a sunflower will return, at random, either:
      • wheat seeds
      • one sunflower
      • two sunflowers (a LinuxGaming custom tweak ;) )
  • Adjustments have been made to a few more recipes.
  • Additional code has been added to some mods to better help staff monitor things through the logs and making it easier to detect and catch troublemakers and griefers.
  • gtest has come up with a couple good ideas for what to do with excess wheat and cotton seeds. Those and other changes are on my ToDo list.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Minetest_Game
Updated to 2015_03_29 GitHub release.
  • New texture for stone_with_mese and it emits light at light level 1.
  • Mese blocks now emit light at light level 3.
  • New item - "mese lamp" (yellow cube) emits light at light level 12. (Not enough to grow crops with. For reference: torches are light level 11 and super glow glass is light level 14.) I've increased the mese lamp's crafting recipe output from 1 to 8.
  • New item - "vessel shelf". This looks and works similar to a bookshelf. It will hold up to 16 drinking glasses, glass bottles and steel bottles (1 per slot). I've increased its crafting recipe's output from 1 to 6.
  • More default mapgen code maintenance.
HomeDecor
Updated to 2015_03_30 GitHub release.
  • More nodebox items have been converted to mesh nodes.
More Custom LinuxGaming Tweaks
gtest asked if excess wheat seeds could be given more uses. He and I brainstormed a for bit and here are the results:
  • Wheat seeds craft into brown dye. Brown dye is one of the dyes that takes a few more crafting steps to make. This wheat seed recipe for brown dye is a short-cut.
  • Cactus crafts into green dye. Similar case as the wheat seed recipe for brown dye.
  • Cotton seeds craft into papyrus. Even though papyrus is easy to grow, inconsiderate players, who didn't leave the bottom stalk to regrow more papyrus for future use by other players, have made papyrus difficult to find near the developed areas. Admins have been replanting papyrus but the shear size of territory and the number of players who come through is overwhelming. This cotton seed recipe for papyrus will help take a small burden off of the admins and is a small reward for those players who actually take the time to look through the alternate recipes in the crafting guide. Now papyrus is easy to acquire
  • Both wheat and cotton seeds can now be used as short-burn furnace fuels. 2 seed clusters will smelt 1 cobble into 1 stone or 1 sand into 1 glass.
  • Now here comes the bonus for those players who look through the alternate crafts: mese crystal fragments can be crafted from a mix of wheat seeds, cotton seeds, and glass.
    • The recipe produces 1 mese crystal fragment.
    • Nine mese crystal fragments craft into a mese crystal.
    • Mese crystals are used to craft mese tools.
    • Other than wood for a wooden hoe, players can now craft mese from cobble if they know cobble's various derivatives through its recipe chain.
    • So if you study the crafting guide and save a lot of your excess wheat and cotton seeds and know the recipe for crafting sand, dirt, bonemeal and junglegrass you will never have to mine for mese again. ;)

WhiteKnight

by WhiteKnight » Post

Hey, LazyJ- Here are the coords for my Rut-hut village ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

WhiteKnight wrote:Hey, LazyJ- Here are the coords for my Rut-hut village ;)
Ok, Blu. I've set a go point for it. Check the list.

For those who may be wondering, building a "rut-hut village" is one of my suggestions to players to help them when they have Minetest's version of "writer's block".

"When you are in a creative rut; build a hut."

The idea is to give your creativity a rest while still developing your build skills. Instead of trying to build something fancy and complex, go back to the basics and build a small, simple, shack or hut. Then build another one and another one and another one and another...

After you've built a few huts, make a road and paths to connect them with. Now you have the makings of a village.

Add a larger build for a church or village hall. Maybe a grain silo. A stable, a barn, a blacksmith's shop, a well, a bakery, a town square with simple merchant tents and stalls...

Now that you have some structures, what about the landscaping?

Add some fields or gardens, retaining walls, a couple wells, a pond, a stream with a small bridge, a park...

The individual builds may be small and simple but by creating a village, complete with roads, paths, and landscaping, you will have created something much more.

For good builders, one of the traps of creative block can be having nice builds around you.

You feel pressured to create an equally nice or better build but you can't think of what to build, how to build it, what it should look like, will it fit in with the rest of the nice builds, what color palette should be used, what block combinations will look good, this has already been done, that has already been done,... these thoughts and more are spinning around in your head and making your creative block that much worse.

So another part of the suggestion is to wander out to the middle of nowhere to start your rut-hut village; far away from everyone and every thing, so you feel less pressured to create something "epic".

That's the other part of the suggestion - forgot about building "epic", just stick to the basics. When you feel the urge to put gabled roofs and chimney's on your rut-huts, and you start to decorate the interiors and begin to focus on the little details of landscaping, your mojo is on the mend.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

HomeDecor updated to 2015_03_31 GitHub release.
  • More items converted from nodeboxes to mesh nodes.
  • Locked wardrobes added. (LinuxGaming custom tweak)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The glass shelves are a very nice idea. Might be something that could fit very good into homedecor as well. Perhaps even as a more complrex model.
A list of my mods can be found here.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • Minetest_Game updated to 2015_04_05 GitHub release - no new toys, just code maintenance.
  • HomeDecor updated to 2015_04_05 GitHub release - another new wall lantern and the laptop has been converted to mesh node rendering.
  • LinuxGaming custom tweaks:
    • Apple blossom leaves are now climbable.
    • Apple blossom leaves will not decay from custom-built trees, hedges, bushes, or shrubs so long as any type of tree trunk is within 5m of the leaves.
    • Straw has been made compatible with MoreBlocks' circular saw. This will add more options for roofing, mats, and other design-build options.
    • Desert stone is now craftable. 1 stone + 1 red dye = 1 desert stone. Desert stone is far less abundant than grey cobble. Now there is a way to overcome that. ;)
    • Wet cement and pavement's crafting outputs have been increased. This will also make crafting cobble roadbed cheaper.
    • Sunflowers were still spawning like weeds so their rarity setting has become more strict and their temperature requirements is much higher. To offset their rarity, when digging a sunflower, sometimes four sunflowers will come back instead of one sunflower or one wheat seed cluster so gardeners can cultivate the sunflowers.
    • Sunflowers can be used as a short-burn fuel in the furnace and ovens.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

A really short list this time. ;)-
  • Long overdue - overview maps have been updated to 2015_04_07.

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Hi

Any chance of getting privs to empty lava/water bucket into place, even if only temporary?
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Cryterion wrote:Hi

Any chance of getting privs to empty lava/water bucket into place, even if only temporary?

Howdy, Cryterion ;)

Extra privs are granted after players have earned our trust.

Water - Place an ice block where you want the water and melt it with a torch. The ice will melt into a water_source.

Lava - Even though lava doesn't burn on our server, it still causes player damage and is a real mess to clean up. Ask players with the "spill" priv to place lava for you. If you need lava for a generator, xilef built obsidian, basalt, and pumice generators in the Public Mine for everyone to use. There is a Travelnet booth and a go-point for that location.

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Thanks for the reply.

I did give the Ice melting a try, but seems the ice melts, creating the water source, but then immediately afterwards the water source is removed.

As to the lava, want to use it as a lava generator, it makes a good fuel source for furnaces!
If anyone with the privs could place the nodes that'll help, we'd have to meet in-game sometime.

;)
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_04_14.
  • I've disabled the code that automatically converts stone, stonebrick, cobble and their stair/slab/saw varieties into mossy versions. I'm working on a tool that will change mossy stuff back to regular when you hit the block with the tool. For those who want mossy stuff, I'll create recipes for that. These aren't done yet, I'm still working on this.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

LazyJ wrote: I've disabled the code that automatically converts stone, stonebrick, cobble and their stair/slab/saw varieties into mossy versions. I'm working on a tool that will change mossy stuff back to regular when you hit the block with the tool. For those who want mossy stuff, I'll create recipes for that. These aren't done yet, I'm still working on this.
The mossy versions do have nice textures. If you really want to get rid of the moss, hand out brushes to the players.
A list of my mods can be found here.

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Sokomine wrote:The mossy versions do have nice textures. If you really want to get rid of the moss, hand out brushes to the players.
We have quite a bunch of underwater builds that were created prior to the addition of mossy materials other than the occasional mossy cobble-dungeon. If players would have wanted those to be mossy they'd chosen mossy cobble as material or had used other, more creative ways to simulate the "mossiness". This includes builds made of mixed materials and some huge projects like SkyCity with its excessive use of stone and water, still one of, if not THE most ambitious project on this server. Those slowly got zombified by the automatic conversion...

Another reason is that most players seem to prefer water-elevators for deep mining. Keep in mind that the server's "economy" is based on cobble. So a lot of players mining to make "money" would have ended up with stacks of mossy cobble they'd have considered as useless. Adding a shop buying mossy cobble though would've just added another artificial currency and unnecessarily complicated the "cobble business".

So, disabling the auto-conversion and adding the mossies as recipes should be the better way - and a lot more convenient for most players.