Server?

strider

Server?

by strider » Post

I have a MacBook Air, and would like to run a server, for testing. Here is what I have done:

Created port forwarding from the router to my computer.
Created a world to use as the server.
Created an instance of a server, using the server tab in the main menu. (Server>Public>Enable Damage>correct port>correct world)
The server starts, no problem
I open a new instance of minetest with

Code: Select all

open -n -a "minetest"
From that instance, I type in 127.0.0.1 as the IP, and the port (30000) as the port. I connect fine, locally.
I can not connect using my public IP. What should I do? Does this mean the port forwarding is set up wrong?
Thanks,
strider

lightonflux
In-game: lof

Re: Server?

by lightonflux » Post

You could scan for open ports at your public ip. I am pretty sure OSX has an app for that but i don't know how to use them.

So my tip is that you use an online service like http://canyouseeme.org/ or ask someone of the community to scan your ip with nmap.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

You can't connect to your own public IP, only people outside of your network can do so.

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Calinou wrote:You can't connect to your own public IP, only people outside of your network can do so.

It works with other services (ssh), why shouldn't it be possible with MT?

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Do you have a firewall setup? If so, and if you haven't opened the port, it might very well be allowing connections from the local host but disallowing connections from outside. Can you try connecting to it from another system on your LAN, to rule out a problem with the ISP/router?

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Calinou wrote:You can't connect to your own public IP, only people outside of your network can do so.
That's not true generally. Most ISP routers will be happy to send the packets back your way. I can certainly ping my external IP address, and SSH to it through the port forwarding. It DOES have to go through external routing, though, so the packets are bouncing out and back in and the behavior may depend on what the ISP has running and how your router deals with packets with the same source and destination addresses (since if you're using NAT—most people are—the outgoing packet will have the external IP address as the source address).