[Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

poet.nohit
GitHub: poet-nohit

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.07] [ethereal]

by poet.nohit » Post

My point about the saplings is that the rate at which you acquire saplings does tend to follow the rarity over time. Acacia trees don't have many leaves to begin with, so if you make a sapling drop 1 in 50, then you'll need to chop down about 5 trees on average to get 1 sapling. If the goal was to eventually wipe out those trees with normal harvesting, then I guess you would see that as a good thing, but I would rather have the option of being able to farm them.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

1 in 50 was rather rate for acacia saplings, it should have been set to 1 in 20... oops! changed...

H4Mm3r
In-game: H4Mm3r

by H4Mm3r » Post

Having many saplings cutting down one unique tree is always a good thing managing a survival server. People often forget to plan new trees, so to keep forests alive, having saplings is important. 50 daily players can easily trasnform the server into a big desert...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

H4Mm3r wrote: Having many saplings cutting down one unique tree is always a good thing managing a survival server. People often forget to plan new trees, so to keep forests alive, having saplings is important. 50 daily players can easily trasnform the server into a big desert...
That's right, and a very important point. If leaf decay and/or sapling output are too low, even the most patient players may not manage to replant the trees they cut. Most players are rather impatient. It's important to have enough saplings.
A list of my mods can be found here.

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Well, I won't belabor the issue. Some other things to think about:

- Support for mesecon's glue recipe.
- Why do generic trees only grow on particular grasses?
- Why is dirt not considered ground content?
- Possibility of adding the use of minetest.find_nodes_in_area_under_air() in future versions of flowers and such.
- Reducing log spam.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Am currently working on Ethereal mod and improving the routines included one by one, I'll get around to using newer commands... As for ground content, I made it this way so that the landscape wouldn't be full of holes but a quick dig will reveal caverns and caves... Tree's are meant to grow only in their own biomes which is why it's set that way for specific grass types and lastly why mesecon's glue ??

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Mesecon glue is made from saplings, but Ethereal changes saplings to not include the "sapling" group. (To fix this, you only need to include the group again.)

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal 1.16 released with new fruit tree models with random leaves, fruit and height... Also crystal dirt no longer freezes water and farming redo's beanbush added to mapgen...

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Cool. Thanks for the updates.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: Ethereal 1.16 released with new fruit tree models with random leaves, fruit and height
Ah, that other way of defining schematics. I was a bit puzzled about lua files in the schematics folder. But as long as those trees only use wood that has already been accounted for, it doesn't matter much, at least not regarding the villages. The diffrent wood types of ethereal are pretty nice.

Zuruck
In-game: Zuruck

by Zuruck » Post

Hey, i'm don't find any of the biomes, can anyone give me one seed with one biome, if you have one with frost biome, better. :D

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

The seed I've been using is 9131193785690228829, and it gives you a nice 0,0 desert/river biome. It has a frost biome at -200,30,200.

Zuruck

by Zuruck » Post

The mod works with technic?

poet.nohit

by poet.nohit » Post

Yeah, Technic gives you a lot of new ores underground, and this changes the way the world is generated on the surface.

Zuruck

by Zuruck » Post

Where i can find Crystal Spikes and Frost Trees? I can find the crystal in the underground or in a biome?(If biome give me one seed and coords)

Cool mod and thanks. :)

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Crystal Spikes and Frost Trees grow in Crystal biomes, they have blue grass. Just go wandering, you'll find one.

nater6927

by nater6927 » Post

Where is the code for torches hurting you??

Xanthin
GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

nater6927 wrote:Where is the code for torches hurting you??
I think you are referring to the Xanadu server where torches do this, but afaik its not meant to be a part of the ethereal mod. I don't know how Ten implemented it on the server, but he made the PlayerPlus mod where you can add this to its init.lua:

Code: Select all

-- am I near a cactus?
			local near = minetest.find_node_near(pos, 1, "default:cactus")
			if near then

-- am I touching the cactus? if so it hurts
				for _,object in ipairs(minetest.get_objects_inside_radius(near, 1.0)) do
					if object:get_hp() > 0 then
						object:set_hp(object:get_hp()-1)
					end
				end
			end

-- Is a torch at the players head or feet position? If so it hurts.
			if nod_head == "default:torch" 
			or nod_feet == "default:torch" then
				if player:get_hp() > 0 then
					player:set_hp(player:get_hp()-1)
				end
			end
(the cactus hurt part is just there for your oriantation, its already in the mod)

This is perhaps not the best and optimal solution (I don't know it better) but I tested it and it worked like I wanted.
Attachments
screenshot from testing; imitations are recommended only for experienced masochists
screenshot from testing; imitations are recommended only for experienced masochists
walk_of_pain.png (170.49 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

nater6927

by nater6927 » Post

No, actually I made my own server with the Ethereal and when I get near a torch it hurts me. I disabled the Ethereal mod and then the torch damage never happened.

Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

That's strange. I just downloaded the latest ethereal version (May 30, 2015) and tested it without any other mods than those coming with minetest_game. Torches don't do any damage. I couldn't find anything about this feature in the ethereal code too, only the parts about preventing torches being used in water and melting snow and ice when placed near them.
The only node that hurts you in this mod is the crystal spike and you can suffocate in quick sand.

Are you sure it wasn't someting other like a crystal spike that hurted you? Did you tested ethereal without any other mod than the defaults one?

Sorry, I can't think of anything more. Maybe someone else knows something helpful.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal mod isnt responsible for torches hurting players, that was included inside 3d-armor mod instead... When Ethereal is active then 3d-armor has crystal armor available with fire protection and this will activate torches to hurt player unless you have 1-piece of crystal armor on... the more armor you have the more protection up to 5 pieces for lava...

Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

Aha, I knew 3d_armor has the crystal armor now, but I didn't knew that it includes the torch damage.
Thanks for the info. :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The torch damage is a very annoying feature, while Ethereal is a very nice mapgen. There ought to be a setting documented here *and* in 3darmor that explains how to turn hurting the player off.

nater6927

by nater6927 » Post

Aha, thank you. Know I just have to find the code for it...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Look inside 3d-armor's armor.lua file, go to line 26 which looks like this:

{"default:torch", 1, 1},

and make it look like this to stop torches hurting:

--{"default:torch", 1, 1},