"rnd's lab" server

by rnd » Post

License:
Sourcecode: GPL
Textures: CC BY-SA

Depends:

Download:
https://github.com/ac-minetest/minetest_mymod

Hi. This is first attempt at minetest modding to see how various things work over here. Server is survival oriented PvP with protection and mobs.

Server features:

My own mods:
- skills system with player characteristics/effects, item requirements and rewards
- magic spells like fireball, heal, slow, float
- changing gravity with height (like in terraria), sun burns unexperienced players far away from spawn, unexperienced players move slower away from spawn
- tweaked dig system ( limits what you can dig with certain tools), 3 step stone dig ( diamond pick and better in one step), dig events like acid spill and cave in
- changing enviroment ( water freezes/thaws as in minecraft )
- attempt to immerse new players into game with increased difficulty and rewards
- ingame puzzle games like sokoban, checkers
- ingame maze generator based on depth first search backtracking
- ingame rotating chatlog
- jail system with quick voting
- noclip cheat detection,
Tweaks of other mods:
- tweaked farming where seed can also grow back and fail completely. Working with hoe on field decreases fail probability.
- lots of small tweaks (like prevent other players from breaking into protected houses easily )
- tweaked simple mobs mod to adjust monster behaviour and properties ( more difficult away from spawn)
- acid from carbone

Server is supposed to be self administrated ( not a lot of admin interference with players )

Spawn with partially frozen/thawing water

Giant maze with rewards to be found within

ingame sokoban playroom with experience award for level completion

Code can be found at https://github.com/ac-minetest/minetest_mymod.

Servers address: swiado.me

Detailed server features:

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF SERVER

SKILL SYSTEM:

each action by player ( mining, killing, farming) raises the relevant skill (dig skill, experience, farming skill). Skills determine how well
player can function.

Experience:
limits how well can player function in the enviroment:
-limits efficient usage of weapons ( stone sword - lvl2, steel sword - lvl3, bronze sword - lvl4, silver sword,guns - lvl5, ..)
-With too little experience player will walk slowly far away from spawn ( speed reduction (7./5)/(distance/500.+1.), this is corrected by
experience
-Also there is a limit how far from spawn player can wander (max_dist = 500+(magic+experience)/10), before effects of exhaustion
set in. Effects include damage while player is in strong light ( 90% of max light).
-can be used to reduce other player's jail sentence by 1 ( costs 100 xp)
Experience is obtained by killing monsters ( farther from spawn more experience, monsters with more max hp/armor give more xp)

Magic:

-player can invest experience points into magic points and mana points.
-To cast magic spell player needs enough mana, which regenerates on its own ( (magic skill/200+1)*0.1 mana regenerated every 2 seconds).
Mana points are limited by max_mana quantity.
-Magic skill directly affects the power of spells and duration of spell effect.

Available spells: heal, fireball, slow, float

Mining skill:
limits how deep underground players are able do dig stone (max_depth = dig skill/5 +200). Also with larger dig skill players
have access to better pickaxes, otherwise they break quickly. Larger dig skill will additionaly enhance durability of pickaxes.
Mining skill is gained by (duh) mining. Mining better ores gives more xp (stone<coal<iron=copper<silver<gold<mese<diamond<mithril).

Farming skill:

Plants can grow on wet farming dirt or wet farming sand.

When seed is planted it is given quality equal to 20 + player farming skill. During growing plant grows larger, with
probability 10/quality it fails to do so and grows one step back toward seed. If plant fails completely ( back to seed ),
block under it turns to dirt and plant changes to grass.

Each application of hoe during plant growth increases quality by 4. Additionally, on each step of growth quality decreases
by 3. So to grow crops successfuly you either need high farming skill OR need to work on plant with hoe during growth.

Farming skill increases when player harvest succesfuly grown plant. Once plant fully grows it will change block under it
into dirt.

ENVIROMENT:

Harsh desert populated by monsters, which become more dangerous ( more attack damage, better armor, more health) as player moves away
from spawn. Enviroment imposes extra difficulties on inexperienced players should they wander too far away from spawn.

Gravity changes with height, above height=y=50 its reduced by factor 2/((y/50)^2+1.)

Diving in water becomes dangerous when player dives below depth 10 and damage increases with depth. More shallow water ( >=depth 5)
imposes movement speed decrease.

Players are encouraged to place protector which will make their homes into hard to get into fortresses. Any non authorised player
is interrupted and reminded upon digging and slowed. If he doesnt stop digging he is sent to jail (after 3rd warning). Players that
spam locked chests without protecting them ( using protector ) can loose their chests either by tnt destruction or takeover (other player
places protector nearby and attempts to takeover, has 2/3 chance to succeed or 1/3 chance to loose protector).

Players can place city block to punish players killing inside city area. Upon 3rd kill suspected player goes to jail. It is impossible
to get out of jail until sentence has been served. After that player must wander through small labyrinth to freedom or get another
player to open jail door from outside.

MOBS:

Grow stronger with distance from spawn, but give you more xp when killed. Mobs special to this server:
-rats attack and drop can drop small pieces of wood when dead
- bees will attack nearby players and can fly up in air. They can be picked up and placed ( in that case they wont attack owner).
They can spawn from beehives and attack intruders.
-soldiers will shoot from far away and drop steel/bread
-water monster spawns inside water and can swim or follow player outside water. It is capable of basic short distance flight.

NEW BUILDING BLOCKS:

-landmine: mese activated, it slows all nearby players and reduces their hp (gradually) to 1hp.
-gravity machine : can alter gravity when mese activated, it can be used with deadly effects by hurling player high in air after which he
falls to his doom or for deadly drop traps with increased fall damage.
-chicken spawner: spawns chickens as long its placed on top of working furnace).
Attachments
mt2_sokoban.jpg
mt2_sokoban.jpg (245.29 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
mt2_maze.jpg
mt2_maze.jpg (390.55 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
mt1.jpg
mt1.jpg (280.44 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Last edited by rnd on Tue Sep 13, 2016 13:07, edited 4 times in total.
1EvCmxbzl5KDu6XAunE1K853Lq6VVOsT

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: "rnd's lab" server

by Sokomine » Post

This server is very intresting in one particular aspect at least: It does have working, convincing fighting against mobs. For a long time I thought that wasn't possible on a server. Yet it now works pretty well on this one. So, if you always wanted to show these stupid stone mobs how a sword works - this is the place for it :-) But beware: As a beginner, rats are a serious threat - they'll quickly form a pack and nibble you to death. And if you see a soldier - run!
A list of my mods can be found here.

supercutsminetest

by supercutsminetest » Post

How do you make a protection node? I can't find it in craft guide....

Shoots self in face - found it on page 11. 8 smooth stone around a mese block. Searching for "protection" only yields protection tool. Well - now I have a DanTDM following me and killing me if I leave spawn. I am just not meant to play here. Cool - just shooting me while I'm in spawn, but not killing me to avoid jail.

Previous Edits...

Nevermind - someone just said mese and stone. I won't be playing here then - before I get a mese block, there will be alot of time and potential for griefing on unprotected home.

This wouldn't be so bad but your game is designed so that the further from spawn, the slower you move. Coupled with mobs , and environmental dmg, the alternative of building far away from spawn won't work.

Also - right outside of the spawn building, there is water that drops you into jail. To exit, wait the jail sentence, you can kill yourself (losing all your items and 10% exp) or take the maze. It doesn't matter since I'm new and have nothing. Not sure why there is a punishment in the spawn area for exploring. Also the jail sentence length doesn't work - ahh - why am I coming back to this server. No one is ever on - they don't talk, even if 2 are on to each other. Protection is not clear on how to obtain - and this Jail system - the timer said 40 seconds, 40 seconds have elapsed and I'm still stuck. Time for the maze, I just bought the mese. *Just quit this server, kicks desk*

Eh - found a mese shop from rnd for 25 bones, makes things easier. Bought it, mese in middle, 8 smooth stone around it, no node. Is protection not craftable, this world seems like it could be fun, but protection is not made clear. How are players supposed to protect. (Used mese crystal, need to get 8 more).
Last edited by supercutsminetest on Wed May 06, 2015 16:14, edited 2 times in total.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

My experience with this server is bitter.
md you should be ashamed of this server's jail system. You can get to jail for defending yourself in protected territory and
accidentally smashing a block. Or, chopping down a tree which seemed wild but was protected. It's because of these grievances and the fear of getting unfairly banned by some crap autocruelty plugin for something that wasn't deliberate that made me rage quit all of these awesomeness.
md you have to learn more about keeping a server. Why, it's like the server wants to avenge me of all the griefs that I didn't commit! You've got to learn what is immersive and what is grievous. The gameplay is too darn hard. It makes me rant, not rave. The description you've posted here is an understatement of the cruel hardships that face a newbie. Not only is every single node trying to get me, but if I defend myself, BAM I'm in jail and all my "honour" gone. You've got to remove ALL, EVERY SINGLE ONE of these automatic Byzantiny plugins. And do it yourself or not do it at all.
My best condolences for that horrible server
ABJ

supercutsminetest

You aren't kidding - I was in spawn, a player named dian was spawn killing people. I back into a corner of the spawn - not attacking anyone and not defending myself - and I get thrown in jail when dian kills someone else. I was "suspected" of spawn killing and people got to vote. A 10 second vote, and bam, in jail, no sentence time - take the maze. Ultimately dian ended up there too - but I dont think that is the point here >>

supercutsminetest

Newbie tip - other players can "take over" your locked chests. Had 5/9 mese crystals, came back to find my locked chests were "taken over by bestfiter". He denies it at first, then says I was griefing for having the chests next to a shop? T1 saw my chests and didn't say it was griefing. Gah!!!!

So no protection node until 9 Mese Crystals, and locked chests can get "taken over". If you move too far away from city, you take damage and move slower. Hard is one thing, this is just stupid.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Yeah; a chest equipped with the steel you found and smelted with grievously hard work filled with your precious items gets taken over? OUTRAGEOUS!

This server should be named Guantanamo Bay Minetest Server.

EVERYONE BOYCOTT "md's LAB"!!!

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

While I agree with the points made, I would like probably point out that there are other servers to play on.

supercutsminetest

I'm new, I admit it. I was under the impression that the protected chests meant you own them. Maybe it is common knowledge that protected chests can be taken over, it was not to me.

Yes, I was upset that after getting to 5/9 mese crystals (for a mese block) to build a protection node, that it was "taken over". Yes, I was upset that you could not protect anything until you had a protection node which required a mese block, because it is coupled with if you move away from spawn not only are mobs stronger and more frequent, but you also move slower and take damage from just being away from spawn (there are mobs day and night, so moving slower and taking constant damage from just being away from spawn prevents building a "secret" or "hidden" base.

As for the comment regarding other servers, I agree with you, there are, I'm just posing my experiences here, and having protected chests taken over, might be the last straw. It wasn't that it was just taken over, but after the guy who took it over first denied it (even though the game shows "taken over by bestfiter" when you hover over the chest), he then attacks me and then says there was nothing in the chest, then drops cactus and says fine take your things. I manage to kill him (t1 a mod showed me how to protect myself earlier) and then he tells me rnd is a personal friend of his and he will get me banned.

Basically - my experience on this server is left wanting from how not just game mechanics but also the majority of the players I've experienced here. Maybe that's just how the chips lay, and minetest servers are not for me.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Don't quit MTMP!
You'll find me on Gabo's TEST Server ;) many there are my friends and will help if you ask.

And that fivefold cruelty is not hard, it's STUPID. Why do you have to take damage away from spawn AND move slower AND face stronger mobs AND face them more often AND not be able to build near spawn? F

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

Gamerdude here, I agree with you supercut that the "taken over" feature sucks (alot). I didn't have it when I started the server, and it's unfair and stupid to have something you protected yourself become taken by someone who has a protection node. However, if you make a base slightly far away from spawn and work quickly, you can create an underground base (which I did) and then upgrade to a big aboveground base with protection. (which I also did) But what you don't want to do is burn down your base (which I sadly did) and have to move to the skies, and create a shop just so that you can get there easily. Also rnd made everything harder to get. I mean, when it was a steel ingot to make a 11*11*11 protector node he shoud have just made it a steel block , and he goes, "Let's make it a MESE block! That'll be fun!". His new features kinda ruin the gaming experience. If he took some advice from players... this might not have happened. There are a few features that I like though: Magic. Oops, ONLY ONE GOOD THING. Come on rnd, take reasonable advice from other people.
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

trukoil

by trukoil » Post

This server is dead, more than a week with connection timeout. It's sad that is gone, was a good server, too hard sometimes but challenging.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The server was the first one to handle fighting against mobs well. Maybe it can be combined somehow with AdventureTest - where a new testserver is currently beeing run. RealTest might also be intresting.
A list of my mods can be found here.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Yes! Too bad it's down so now I can't flame it!

Niebieski
GitHub: Snipie
IRC: Niebieski
In-game: Niebieski

by Niebieski » Post

Server seems cool, I like the magic stuff.
Too bad it's down now...

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Too bad you say? TOO BAD? You will only understand how "bad" it is when you actually PLAY the server! UGH! This server is NOT cool. It's COLD! It's one of the examples of servers where the owner just cranks everything up to full and then sits back and thinks how fun it will be while everybody has their locked chests taken over by some rich b( | ) and then gets thrown in jail for either trying to defend themselves from getting mauled by a mob in protected territory or because he was "suspected" of spawn killing while the real spawn killer is someone else. UGH! And here you receive damage AND slow down the further you go from spawn AND have more OF more dangerous mobs bearing down on you, YET HAVE to do that due to the fact that everything 1km from spawn is protected by **** *****s. NO IT'S NOT COOL.

trukoil

by trukoil » Post

Hardest server ever, a very big challenge.
Whoever wants to make a clone o use mods could clone owner's github before it goes away.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Great work ABJ. If you don't like a server, just say what you don't like and stop playing, don't try to drown it to death. I like challenges, I would probably liked playing on this server. You don't need to point out a houndred times that you don't like it, that's spam. Your first comment was respectable, your last one was not.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Dragonop wrote:Great work ABJ. If you don't like a server, just say what you don't like and stop playing, don't try to drown it to death. I like challenges, I would probably liked playing on this server. You don't need to point out a houndred times that you don't like it, that's spam. Your first comment was respectable, your last one was not.
+99

AMEN!

Yeah, if you stink at playing hard servers, practice a bit more.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

All right, here goes.
1-Taking over your locked chests.
2-Is pretty much a jail server.
3-Impossible protection.
4-Impossible to get away from spawn.
5-YOU xd.

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

ABJ wrote:All right, here goes.
1-Taking over your locked chests.
2-Is pretty much a jail server.
3-Impossible protection.
4-Impossible to get away from spawn.
5-YOU xd.
*Clap. Clap. Clap. Clap*
That's exactly a perfectly mature, hardcore server. If somebody can make a server like this, with convincing mob fighting, please do it.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Though I wonder how major is requiring a mese block instead of a steel ingot to make a protector "simply to increase difficulty and immersion to new players" and then ALSO make it so that server millionaires with extra mese can steal ALL the new player's hard work in HIS locked chest that HE made with HIS OWN steel gotten from HIS OWN FREAKING HARD WORK, smelted with coal he got from HIS OWN HARD WORK containing ALL HIS HARD-EARNED TREASURES JUST because they can. ESPECIALLY considering how hard it is now to get ANYTHING. Read the previous forum posts made by other players, and 90% will be rants about this server's stupidity. I'm NOT the person who's complaining about the best server in the world that everyone loves like mithril.

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

ABJ wrote:Though I wonder how major is requiring a mese block instead of a steel ingot to make a protector "simply to increase difficulty and immersion to new players" and then ALSO make it so that server millionaires with extra mese can steal ALL the new player's hard work in HIS locked chest that HE made with HIS OWN steel gotten from HIS OWN FREAKING HARD WORK, smelted with coal he got from HIS OWN HARD WORK containing ALL HIS HARD-EARNED TREASURES JUST because they can. ESPECIALLY considering how hard it is now to get ANYTHING. Read the previous forum posts made by other players, and 90% will be rants about this server's stupidity. I'm NOT the person who's complaining about the best server in the world that everyone loves like mithril.
Nope, you are not the only one. But YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE that is writing on an AGRESSIVE WAY, please, as I already said, stop this nonsense agresion only because a server seems unfair to new players. Life isn't fair, accept it. If you don't like something, let other people enjoy it, we are not on the inquisition, everybody can like and dislike whatever they want.
Defamation is bad.

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

I liked the server, just that it needed some work.
I made a base in about 2 hours. Pretty easy to get started, but after that, you need protectors and you will want to expand your base. :D
RND WHY U DELETE SERVER
I was doing very good, living in the sky with my garden, shop, and house.
I CAN'T FIND MY FRIENDS ANYMORE.
Come on man, seriously.
Seriously......
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

trukoil

by trukoil » Post

Really, i miss my glass-cube-covered home with tree farm.

BTW, if you play in servers like this you MUST protect your areas before starting your homes/bases.
Thief from a locked chest was a... feature, if the protected chest wasn't in a claimed area and you tried to claim that there was a 50% chance that the chest would be not protected anymore (other chance was losing the protection block you just used). You had to claim your area before build anything.

Ps: someone misses rats?

BTW² ProgrammingChicken, i remember your in-game name, but i didn't know there was a city in the sky, i remember just a sky road (that spawned soldiers, damned cobblestone)