[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

TheMasterAnimatronic
IRC: TheShadow
In-game: TheMasterAnimatronic TheShadow

Re: [0.4.12] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by TheMasterAnimatronic » Post

is the name "Springtrap" banned by any chance? i cant connect with that name,and that is the name i want to use

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

TheMasterAnimatronic wrote:is the name "Springtrap" banned by any chance? i cant connect with that name,and that is the name i want to use
Erm... you didn't, by any chance, read in the previous few posts that the server is currently down, dead, waiting for cpr and a kick in the a$$? o.O

Hopefully soon...

See ya, noob101

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Hi TheMasterAnimatronic,

and welcome to the forums.
noob101 wrote:
TheMasterAnimatronic wrote:is the name "Springtrap" banned by any chance? i cant connect with that name,and that is the name i want to use
Erm... you didn't, by any chance, read in the previous few posts that the server is currently down, dead, waiting for cpr and a kick in the a$$? o.O
= the server is currently offline. It will, hopefully, be online soon again, but the person in charge is a quite busy man, so this could take some time. Usually the admins will inform you here if they have any news or when the server is back online again. So, best thing to do is wait and keep an eye on this forum thread or watch out for it at http://servers.minetest.net/ or the in-client public server list.

Rule of thumb concerning names: If it's banned the server's gonna tell you that. If it's already taken by someone else it will reply to you that you entered the wrong password. At the moment you should be able to enter the name and password you chose and the client will try to connect ("Connecting to server..."), but nothing will happen.

Hope to meet you all soon again. Come on, Orby, I got trees to chop :-D.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Oh, I'm sorry. Especially in the light of your response, klappspaten, my post appears rather rude and unfriendly, while it was not intended in this way, but pointy-funny. I apologize to whoever took it the wrong way and feels insulted, especially TheMasterAnimatronic of course! Sorry.

Hope to meet you in-game,
noob101

Miner_48er

by Miner_48er » Post

The Server is up.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Yay, good news are always VERY welcome! Thanks everybody involved!

See ya, noob101

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Hey everyone!

Wanted to make some suggestions:

1. Could you please add the functionality of Blockmen's simple and fancy beds to the other beds as well? The mod's api should make that an easy task. Of course it's a question of personal taste, but I prefer the design of homedecor's beds (style and choice of colors) over those of Blockmen's ones.

2. Could you make it so that lying in a bed will set the spawn-on-death? Currently you need to sleep in the bed and actually skip a night, which isn't easy at times (fellow players busy, new and without bed, afk...).

3. I noticed that, while "hand" digs leaves almost instantly (which is great), digging leaves with an axe now decreases said axe's durability, something I've never seen happening anywhere else before. I can see how the almost-instant digging of leaves via hand encourages players to leave fewer floating trees behind; the need to constantly switch between hand and axe while chopping a tree though seems to defeat that purpose. While the axes being slower than the hand isn't a big problem gathering leaves loses its necessity quickly (once for saplings, a bit of rope, some oil extract and a few other minor uses), later on most players will grow trees only to gather wood. So they'll only remove leaves to get to the trunks, not to gather the leaves as well. So you either scroll (a lot) between axe and hand/some other slot or you watch your axes wear off in no time. Please make it so that axes won't lose durability when used to chop leaves.

4. Please consider adding TenPlus1's [bakedclay]-mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8890). There are some more colored clay-mods around, but this is the only one I found that's based on Minetest's default wool only. While the server already has a great variety of blocks there's still only wool that uses the full basic palette of colors
IF this was added, another wish: Some time ago a simple recipe to craft clay was added to the server, maybe the in- and output of that could be increased a bit (8 instead of 4?) to make the mass-crafting of clay a bit less of a pain (the bucket of water makes totally sense in this recipe, but makes it a bit too much "work": fill the bucket, add the bucket, craft 4 clay, remove bucket, fill bucket, add bucket....).

5. Please reconsider the prices of moon- and antimoonrock sold from the admin shops. Currently a stack of them is sold for 1000$ each, while crafting 18 of them costs 8 diamonds, 1 mese_crystal (Moonrock) and 8 mese_crystal, 1 diamond (Anti). Usually 1 diamond sells for 100$ (80-120) on the server, while mese_crystal is ~75$ (60-90).
So crafting them is (theoretically) more expensive than buying a stack. So either increase the output of the crafting recipes or the prices of the admin shops.

KR, klapp

Thron
In-game: Thron

by Thron » Post

Good points klappspaten. I just can add: a few more plants will be nice... the jungle grass not really good for landscaping :) "a few plants is better than a few mobs eating the server " :))

But.. thx for the super server!!!

Come-one old LazyJ.. grind that code :))

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Howdy ;)

A few quick responses:
  • HomeDecor has included Blockmen's day/night/individual spawn functions in a recent update but I haven't had the time yet to tailor the latest changes in HomeDecor.
  • Clicking on the beds to set individual spawn points is redundant because we already have two different sethomes that players can use as well as three different teleport mods. The purpose of Blockmen's (and eventually HomeDecor's) beds was so that players could change night to day, after the coded time, and if enough players agreed to get into their beds at the same time. Setting individual spawn points was just a bonus.
  • I made it so the wield-hand would cut leaves quickly to compensate for not having swords on the server, not for making it easier to cut down the giant MoreTrees trees. Tool wear is a part of the game. After re-reading, that didn't make sense, so I'll try again... Tool wear is a part of the game so axes will wear out like the other, normal, tools. Switching between tools is no different that switching between materials. Swords were removed to make it clear that this was not a battle server but swords also cut leaves faster than the other tools so I coded the wield-hand to compensate for not having swords to cut leaves with. This does make cutting down the trees a little easier but not super easy. Minetest is still a game where effort is required.
  • Adding more colored blocks has been on my list for the server. Baked Clay is a good start but I think I'll use the existing clay block recipe (with the output increased to 8) and adding a dye color. I'll also add compatibility with MoreBlock's circular saw.
  • The crafting recipe for antimoon/moonrocks was made to be an expensive "convenience" for the impatient. The "Evil" tools are similar in that regard. I've removed many challenges from the server but I've also left a few in place so that players would still have to plan, weigh their options, and take the time to learn how the game is played on the server.
  • I'll look into the Ferns mod. I have a couple other, more custom, plant ideas on my list.

klappspaten

by klappspaten » Post

Alright, let me try again as well :-D.

- Setting spawn on death
Makes sense. With the day/night- cycle currently running like hell, which I didn't notice before I did a lot of tree growing and chopping in the very same spot lately, it's not a problem anymore anyway since there are enough opportunities to get everyone informed and into the boat....erm bed. I've managed to set my new spawn-on-death eventually so problem solved :-).

- Leaf-cutting wear-off
My point about the axes was that it's not "normal" that the cutting of leaves has any wear-off-effect on whatever tool (apart from the mentioned and replaced swords maybe?), at least from my experience. Currently cutting a leaf with an axe has the same wear-off-effect as cutting a trunk which seems a bit weird and out of proportion to me. That's why I assumed it might not be deliberately so. If it is, however, that's ok, already developed some tactics around having to switch back and forth all too often ;-).

- Anti-/Moonrock
My point about it was actually the same as yours. The prices of the admin shops are too low. Crafting the blocks is more expensive than simply buying them. I feel it should be the other way around. There are two variables in it: cost of crafting and sell-price of admin shops. To encourage players to do more crafting buying a whole stack of them shouldn't be less expensive than crafting a bunch of them. While I see your point when taking into consideration that usually players don't make excessive use of these quite special blocks but only need a few of them (which would make crafting them more attractive) the fact that buying a whole stack of 99 costs about a quarter more than crafting 18 of them will keep knowing players from crafting them at all and give new players a bad feeling when they a) have crafted them already and b) stumble upon the admin shops eventually. You are right, crafting them _should_ be terribly expensive after all, since they are so special, but buying them should be even more expensive then.
I spent some time searching for actively maintained player shops, cheapest diamond I found was 104$, while mese goes for as low as 56$ a crystal at the moment. Taking those numbers into consideration crafting 1 moonrock costs around 50$ and 1 antimoonrock around 30$, which still seems kind of cheap for such mighty blocks - but not so much if you can buy one at the admin shops for ~10$ each. In reverse, diamonds had to sell for < 25$ and mese crystals for < 20$ to keep up with the admin shop prices. As much as player-made prices aren't written in stone it still shows that the admin shops are far too cheap. So once again, please consider increasing the prices of the admin shops for both moon- and antimoonrock.

- More plants
I know this has been discussed before, but what about (also?) adding a few more cultivated plants, like tomatoes, grapes and melons and the like? Since there is not much use for food on this server I don't want to suggest those as actual crops, but as purely decorative blocks instead (so no further growing abms, cooking recipes and so on, but just the blocks + recipes to craft them).

- Everything else
Good news! Really looking forward to it, especially the colored clay :-).

KR, klapp

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
Overview maps have been updated to 2015_05_17.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
Earlier today it was found that the steelbrush tool was allowing players to scrub moss off of blocks in protected areas not belonging to them.

I went back through the code and saw that there was no protection-check in the steelbrush's code. I've corrected that, uploaded the fix to the server and restarted the server.

Now the steelbrush will check the Areas protection so that only the area owner(s) will be able to scrub moss off of mossy stuff in the protected area.

Thron

by Thron » Post

Thx LazyJ and all the admins for your hard work. In the time of the server "VPS" crash i browsed a few servers, but this servers is still the BEST of them all. (Well i had to float around on MT in that time, im addicted to this game :)) hehehe

GOOD WORK MATES!!!
Thron

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Thron wrote:Thx LazyJ and all the admins for your hard work. In the time of the server "VPS" crash i browsed a few servers, but this servers is still the BEST of them all. (Well i had to float around on MT in that time, im addicted to this game :)) hehehe

GOOD WORK MATES!!!
Thron
I can not more but second that... :-)

A few things with underlying pictures:
#1 I got some temporary privs to resolve an issue. Came across my spiralling staircase of my first mine. Looks awesome from outside!

#2 Meeting of the newly skinned people (klappspatens skin isn't new though ;-)

#3 The bug hit me again. Out of 174 benches placed, three sunk into the ground and replaced two floor nodes each. Strange indeed!
Attachments
screenshot_1847089412.png
screenshot_1847089412.png (200.58 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
screenshot_1674306435.png
screenshot_1674306435.png (290.96 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
screenshot_1498640161.png
screenshot_1498640161.png (106.54 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

noob101

by noob101 » Post

One more:

#4 I came across some grief just earlier, 9 missing concrete nodes. Fixed it of course, but could you have a look who did it? It's the bottom end of the new descending Norwood road towards Ep1cMaN's and Throns.

See ya, noob101
Attachments
screenshot_1874747345.png
screenshot_1874747345.png (162.76 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Thron

by Thron » Post

Some Fun :) Thron hard at work :)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thanks noob101 for spotting the greifing. The greifer has been banned and actions rolled-back.

Cool screenshots ;) "Group photos" of players at builds are something this thread is missing.

Thron, you look like Paul Bunyan with the tree in your hand. :)

Thron

by Thron » Post

Here a few Update Snaps of my world... THE SERVER TO BE!!!

Thx LazyJ and all the admin for keeping this server BUG free... Thx Dudes!!

Cheerz
Thron

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Cool screenshots, Thron!

I've added your post's link to the "Featured Builds" link list in the first post of this thread.

Thanks for the compliment on the bug fixes :D

So as not to disillusion any future readers of this thread, our server does have its share of bugs, gremlins, and other quirks. It is very much a process of trial-and-error and adaptation. Over the years a few folk have helped with the code or have helped come up with work-arounds or workable solutions.

While code work is important to keeping things running, our server is what it is today largely because of the good character of the folk who regularly come to play. Good people are more valuable than great builders.

Thanks, folks ;)

Thron

by Thron » Post

The three Musketeers :) busy with PROJECT BEAUTIFY at spawn!!!

The Server to be :)

Thron

by Thron » Post

The CubeHeads very busy at spawn, "PROJECT BEAUTIFY"

some pic's of Cubes at work :)

The Server To Be!!

Thron

gtest

by gtest » Post

Hi folks :-)

One of my recent projects, one that I took over from klappspaten, was to restore PlayMassiv's Wood House.
Here's a short write-up and some pictures:

Before I started work, I had a good long think about how to proceed. Because this build was unfinished and long-abandoned, I felt that I had a relatively free hand on the refurbishment.
The build was, apart from the windows, constructed almost entirely from plank blocks, giving a monotonous and boxy appearance. So I decided I would use wood as much as possible in the refurb, but would use a variety of types and colours to create a more interesting effect.
The main room had floor-to-ceiling glass walls, giving a nice light and airy feel to the interior, and klappspaten had already placed some furniture - so I would keep with this style.
A staircase had been started, so I would add a second floor and a roof. It's possible that the stairs were originally intended to connect with the high-level road, but I decided this was unnecessary as there was already good road access nearby. In the end, I replaced the original plank-and-cobble staircase with a new wooden one

Here's how it looked before i started:

The original staircase is removed, and a concrete foundation built:

The second storey and roof added:

A view of the ground floor lounge.

Finished:

you can view these and other screenshots full-size here:
https://imgur.com/a/qrYSZ#0

~gtest

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

"Project Beautification" is an on-going project to renovate, rework, or demolish old, abandoned builds and to re-landscape tore-up land surrounding Spawntown.

The project kicked-off this weekend with Thron, noob101, and BluAngel working wonders; each adding their own unique style.

Thron's cool screenshots show-off the Southwestern theme of "Pueblo", the new name for the former wasteland.

The team has worked hard to sculpt the ruined landscape into an artist's retreat. Adobe-style builds in the desert stone cliffs, an irrigated field, a waterfall and cistern all connected with stone footpaths.

A lot of good work is being in the southwest area of Spawntown!

gtest has done a really nice renovation job on PlayMassiv's place. The "before" and "after" screenshots show a world of difference and improvement. By telling a little bit about each screenshot, what was done and why, gtest is also helping to teach anyone interested in improving their build skills.

Check out gtest's Imgur photo-album link of his renovation project to see even more screenshots showing the progression from abandoned ruin to a beautiful wood home as well as more interior screenshots for inspiration.

Maybe someday gtest will post screenshots of his estate ;)

Thanks folks!

WhiteKnight
In-game: BluAngel

by WhiteKnight » Post

Ok, a skin for my bro BluAngels_Brother:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai6jmv3vou7dg ... 1.png?dl=0
If you could please use that for his skin.
Thanks!

xilef
IRC: xilef
In-game: xilef

by xilef » Post

here is a link from some pictures from my renovated hous
http://imgur.com/a/OhrHa