[Mod] OreWood: Grow ore from the trees! [1.1] [orewood]

desvox
GitHub: desvox
IRC: desvox
In-game: desvox

[Mod] OreWood: Grow ore from the trees! [1.1] [orewood]

by desvox » Post

This is my first published mod. I've added ore generation to tree trunks, and you can grow the logs into farmable plants. It is intended to ease progression in the game, if you enjoy difficulty then this mod is probably not for you. If you're sick of digging like I am, though...

Ore is generated in both regular and jungle trees. Junglewood has a higher chance of spawning ore. All logs except coalwood logs need to be smelted to get their resources, coalwood just needs to be crafted. Place any orewood log (doesn't matter if it is facing up or sideways) next to water and it will sprout papyrus-like plants that drop their respective resources when they are harvested. They grow at about the same rate as papyrus (which isn't particularly fast), and have a max grow height just like it as well, the code is pretty much the same. Both junglewood and oak wood grow plants at the same rate.

A huge thank you to /u/Thermal--Shock for suggesting harvestable plants.

Also take a look at Gravelpunch's mod, Mineral Trees. I had no part in the development of this but figured I'd give him a mention, especially since some may prefer that mod to mine. <3

Changelog:

1.0 to 1.1: Orewood can now be placed near water to grow plants. Coalwood no longer just drops a coal lump, it must be crafted. Also fixed a typo in the names prior to the 1.1 release.

License: WTFPL for code and textures are Creative Commons.

Mod dependencies: default

GitHub
Download .ZIP

Todo:
Clean up repetitive code for better readability. [Maybe someday]
Add support for ores of other mods. [ASAP]
Last edited by desvox on Mon Jun 15, 2015 13:05, edited 7 times in total.
I love your feedback and your suggestions!

Tox: E2602677725B4A2DA7B0395EFB9E03856CC5BBA948CFA9DB14ED6461EC39CC0F4859493BFD34

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod] OreWood [1.0] [orewood]

by Nathan.S » Post

This is a very interesting concept.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] OreWood [1.0] [orewood]

by Krock » Post

This would fit perfectly into the "weird" subgame.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

desvox

Re: [Mod] OreWood: Grow ore from the trees! [1.1] [orewood]

by desvox » Post

I've updated the mod to include plants that can be harvested for even more resources. See the OP.

Tox: E2602677725B4A2DA7B0395EFB9E03856CC5BBA948CFA9DB14ED6461EC39CC0F4859493BFD34

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Very interresting idea, not for me, but very interresting ! :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wood with ores is really strange. There used to be an old iron tree mod. Perhaps all that really ought to go into the weired game.

Papyrus in combination with the ore textures looks surprisingly intresting. The ore seems to from knots in the plant. That might be a way of getting diffrent plant types out of few textures. It's always good to have more of them around.
A list of my mods can be found here.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

From what I can see, the trees only get the orewood if they were generated during chunk generation. If you plant a sapling and a tree grows, there will never be any orewood in it.

Also, some of the jungle orewoods aren't giving the orewood in the inventory when they are chopped down. I think the coal one is one of these. I may not have found some of the other jungle orewoods at all. All of the default tree orewoods seem to work as expected.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

I love it!

desvox

by desvox » Post

LionsDen wrote:From what I can see, the trees only get the orewood if they were generated during chunk generation. If you plant a sapling and a tree grows, there will never be any orewood in it.

Also, some of the jungle orewoods aren't giving the orewood in the inventory when they are chopped down. I think the coal one is one of these. I may not have found some of the other jungle orewoods at all. All of the default tree orewoods seem to work as expected.
Thanks for letting me know. You're right, jungle coal wood was dropping lumps and not the log. I'm fixing this now, when you read this you can go ahead and update from git. =)
Sokomine wrote:Wood with ores is really strange. There used to be an old iron tree mod. Perhaps all that really ought to go into the weired game.
Do you mean the textures for the wood? Because I tweaked the colors of the ore patterns to try and make it look less strange but I actually like the way the orewoods look. But yeah, if you mean as a concept, this is defintely a weird mod.
jordan4ibanez wrote:I love it!
It really means a lot to me <3
Last edited by desvox on Thu Jun 18, 2015 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

desvox

by desvox » Post

Cool, I finally got moved to the releases!

I haven't written any more code since the last release like a month ago, although I do still plan to add 3rd party ores at some point. I will also do any bugfixes or take suggestions.

Also, take a look at someone else's implementation of the same basic idea. Looks pretty rad.

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

Woahz.
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

@desvox, can you use overlay textures for the wood ores on trees please? This will make them better support other textures than default one.

Thankyou!
Last edited by Ivà on Thu Jun 18, 2015 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

ronnietucker

by ronnietucker » Post

Can this be used in an existing map?

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

cool mod!

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

ronnietucker wrote:Can this be used in an existing map?
As far I as I could see, the trees only show up during map generation. They don't grow when you plant saplings. So it will work on an existing map but only in the areas that have not been generated yet. In other words you will only see them in the areas that you haven't ever visited.

desvox

by desvox » Post

Ivà wrote:@desvox, can you use overlay textures for the wood ores on trees please? This will make them better support other textures than default one.

Thankyou!
That's a good idea, I've thought about it but wasn't sure if anyone would give a shit. I'll get to work on that today, I've got some free time for sure!

Sure, but it will only affect newly generated trees on new terrain. It doesn't generate in existing logs and they also do not show up in newly grown trees from saplings. You should also check out Gravelpunch's mod, if you dislike my implementation. I've mentioned him in my OP.
LionsDen wrote:
As far I as I could see, the trees only show up during map generation. They don't grow when you plant saplings. So it will work on an existing map but only in the areas that have not been generated yet. In other words you will only see them in the areas that you haven't ever visited.
I like you.
cd2 wrote:cool mod!
I *really* like you!

desvox

by desvox » Post

Ivà wrote:@desvox, can you use overlay textures for the wood ores on trees please? This will make them better support other textures than default one.

Thankyou!
Done. The orewood logs still use their own mineral texture but the wood part is now loaded from the default texture set. Hopefully I didn't break anything when I did that! =D

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

desvox wrote:Done. The orewood logs still use their own mineral texture but the wood part is now loaded from the default texture set. Hopefully I didn't break anything when I did that! =D
Cool! Much appreciated :-)

And FYI, mineraltrees and orewood mods can live in the same world and use both :-P
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20150618_222018.png
screenshot_20150618_222018.png (943.18 KiB) Viewed 1694 times

desvox

by desvox » Post

What other mods should I add support for? I want to add Technic ores but am not sure what other mods people use.

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

• moreores
  • lapis (lapislazuli)

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

So... since desvox seems to have been away for a while, I decided to try and add tinwood to the mod myself, and then I got carried away and added a few more things and...
In short, I kind of made a remake of your mod...