[Game] Voxus (cancelled)

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by ABJ » Post

Well, just thinking that even I might do that myself.

EDIT: Kenney I have an idea. Could you add mob "bases" that ppl can grief to reduce/empty mobs in a certain region around it? And there will be chests with stuff. And in the bases there will be LOTS of mobs, and the bases will be secret, like Minecraft mob spawners.
This would be truly out of the box.
And how about friendly monsters that "ally" with you and defend you from bad mobs? And they will try to live with you, making beds and placing them in your base, which you can move to move their home. And they will have nametags too and can be "talked" to using chat commands. eg /whatareyoudoing Flame the Flamethrower /gohome Ozzy the Ghost /followme etc [Not necessarily real!]

More detail on my idea later

EDIT 2: And you could have fish and fishing and cats and dogs and rabbits and keeping pets etc and npc villages etc and the like
And could you add more weaponry than just the boring old sword and have things such as bows and arrows. guns and grenades maybe, rockets, missiles, fireworks and the like?

Kenney
In-game: Kenney

by Kenney » Post

Woah, slow down there - working on some basic features first before moving onto the more advanced stuff like how to handle monsters and such :)

Progress update:

Worked on the terrain generation and foliage a bit. Mushrooms, flowers, grass, vines and trees now spawn on the terrain. Mushrooms only spawn in very dark caves, deep under the ground.

Custom tree importer

To create trees and easy variations I've written my own importer. The trees are modeled in Zoxel, then exported and imported into the converter which matches colors with node types. The trees can then be spawned in the world. I didn't go for MTS because of the flexibility I now have, I can add random shapes and make trees have random heights.

Zoxel + Voxus = TREES! :)

Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

macabre222
IRC: Macabre222

by macabre222 » Post

Doing Great!,, Me and the kids are so excited youre back to voxus project..and we await patiently.

TriBlade9

by TriBlade9 » Post

Looks great Kenny! Clever use of Zoxel for trees. In fact, it would be an interesting idea (I was thinking of this awhile ago,) to write a Zoxel->Meshnode exporter.

Just wondering though, why are their multiple shades of colors in the tree in Zoxel? Also, why do you use flash for your importer/exporter? x]

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

As he's a game designer/developer before a programmer, he's probably most familiar with flash. (I don't mean any offense. You know, the whole flash game trend)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

TriBlade9 wrote:Just wondering though, why are their multiple shades of colors in the tree in Zoxel? Also, why do you use flash for your importer/exporter? x]
I've programmed my importer to handle the lighter green blocks as leaves and the darker shade blocks are optional. When placing, it performs a random operation which decides which of those optional blocks to place. It adds a little variation to trees.

I use Flash because I've been using it for the last 10 years professionally, so I know the ins and outs.
rubenwardy wrote:As he's a game designer/developer before a programmer, he's probably most familiar with flash. (I don't mean any offense. You know, the whole flash game trend)
Yep that's true, I've started out with and really never found a good alternative. Not that I really want an alternative, so far I can do everything with Flash that I require. Quickly! :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Kenney wrote:
hoodedice wrote:Do you mind working with absolute newbies to C/C++? If that is the case, I offer my services. I'm currently reading up on C for my systems programming class next semester. I have fairly advanced knowledge of java though.
Not at all! If you come across something that you might be able to tackle, feel free to take it on!
Holy Cow. Whenever I leave the forums for a little while, everything explodes. When I am active, everything is quiet. ;)

I am also interested. In fact, I have been itching to do some programming, and working on my Pygame RPG is getting a little bit tedious. I need to work on something that already has a base.

Might be seeing something come up from me in about a month (school will be out! Yes!!!)

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Ok yeah. I just wanted to tell you before it was too late.
And, back to terrain, I would very much like if you make the terrain more scale-realistic (taller and smoother mountains, wider rivers, and definitely make the oceans MUCH larger (I really get disappointed with the ordinary ones) and larger islands also :) and don't forget plains and more smooth caves also)
Hope you will look into this.

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

philipbenr wrote:Might be seeing something come up from me in about a month (school will be out! Yes!!!)
Awesome :D
ABJ wrote:And, back to terrain, I would very much like if you make the terrain more scale-realistic
I'm quite satisfied with the way the terrain now renders out, it's large scale but not too large. It takes a while to climb a mountain or traverse a river but not too long that it would become boring or uninteresting. I think making the scale larger wouldn't be a good change.

---

Couple of new screenshots:

Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Do you mean the default terrain or your terrain? If you're talking about default terrain then *rage*.
If you really did scale it up, soooo good for Voxus.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Wow, that screenshots are really impressive. Great work!

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

addi wrote:Wow, that screenshots are really impressive. Great work!
Thanks!

Update on progress:

Mostly worked on the underwater terrain generation today, adding coral and ramdom rocks (needs improvement). I always thought underwater areas in Minecraft were incredibly dull and a real shame - it's so incredibly easy to add a bit of flora.

Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Good idea . I have found the sea modpack to be rather overwhelming at times.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

BOO!
That looks nice, but actually, I have a sort of phobia for all and any underwater life. ISDKY. But that wouldn't stop me using Voxus :D.
And yeah, don't forget my previous post about mobs. ;)

macabre222
IRC: Macabre222

by macabre222 » Post

Omg it just keeps getting better, I can't wait to see the monsters you come up with. Keep up the amazing work!.

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

Little update:

Decided to hire a professional pixel artist for all textures and item graphics. While my own drawings were 'good enough' they lacked a distinctive style. The new pixel artist will first be tackling all natural occurring tiles (grass, dirt, stone, trees, water etc.).

The new art style for the game is bright, simple, structured and a bit cartoony. While I'm sure that people might not like this change over the soft toned colored tiles, it's something that I'm much happier with in the end.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Well....OK it's your game.......and yeah I'm really sad about that but as I've said before, it's your game, and your choice for your game that others would like to get copies of.
Well, as long as you don't make wood look like sand, I'll be happier. (Had that problem w/ some games and Vanessa's HDX thingy...........)

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

@Kenny
Don't let the current textures go to waste. Please consider releasing them for all to enjoy.
Not sure how this professional
can improve upon your work, but I've been impressed too many times by you not to trust your judgement.

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

ABJ wrote:Well, as long as you don't make wood look like sand, I'll be happier.
This is exactly why I hired a professional, my own creations look okay but it's hard to make different materials distinguishable.
ExeterDad wrote:Don't let the current textures go to waste. Please consider releasing them for all to enjoy.
Planning to release the previously drawn textures and items to the public domain, so they can be used in other projects.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Kenney wrote:Little update:

Decided to hire a professional pixel artist for all textures and item graphics. While my own drawings were 'good enough' they lacked a distinctive style. The new pixel artist will first be tackling all natural occurring tiles (grass, dirt, stone, trees, water etc.).

The new art style for the game is bright, simple, structured and a bit cartoony. While I'm sure that people might not like this change over the soft toned colored tiles, it's something that I'm much happier with in the end.
Nooooo...

Oh well. I am still developing consistency in my styles so I probably wouldn't have been a good pick for the job anyway...

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

How about you make a version with the previous textures for those who can't take it?
(Hint: me)

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

ABJ wrote:How about you make a version with the previous textures for those who can't take it?
(Hint: me)
That would double the time it takes to draw graphics, so nope, won't be happening. Also, you haven't seen the new textures.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

When will you start to take patches in from the community at large? Alternatively, when will you post the sauce so we can *start* developing patches?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Kenney

by Kenney » Post

hoodedice wrote:When will you start to take patches in from the community at large? Alternatively, when will you post the sauce so we can *start* developing patches?
Once a few bits of everything is in (few blocks, few monsters, few items etc.). When my vision is clear for the project I will release a first version, then the community can start developing :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I seriously doubt Kenney will release the sauce.