[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.12] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 05:16

Howdy ;)

BluAngel, I've uploaded your brother's skin; it will be active after the next restart or after the nightly backup.

I've added gtest's renovation screenshot post and Thron's "Project Beautify" screenshot post to the "Featured Builds" link list in this thread's first post. I'll also add xilef's renovation project to the link list after I make a post with his screenshots in it.

Nice looking work, folks ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 05:23

These are some screenshots from the Imgur album link that xilef posted earlier.

A few months ago, xilef helped a couple newcomers build a home near SkyCity. Since then, xilef has renovated the house into a fine piece of Minetest architecture.

Good job, xilef! ;)

bdjnk

GitHub: bdjnk

by bdjnk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 16:07

You've likely seen my Lava Domicile, but I've now connected into to an as yet unfinished above ground Modern Rustic house. This is the progress so far:

Screenshots of both can be found right over here.

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 17:50

Guys and gals, this thread is gaining momentum in a very nice way! Cheers to all the great builds (esp.) in the recent past, and their respective builders!
I'm not soo much the picture genius, but I'll try my best to add my share whenever I finish something (not if Thron is quicker at that though :-p).
bdjnk, what a shame I couldn't spare the time to come over for a look, have to do that today! Nice work!

Now a final word about addiction: I finished my office work at around 22:30 yesterday, then logged in - and only left around 2:15 this early morning, and on a workday at that! The alarm goes off at 6:00 each morning. Getting up can be horribly painful!

Now, see ya in-game!
noob101

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 05:13

Update: Overview maps updated to 2015_06_03.

Nice looking surface home, bdjnk. ;)

Follow bdjnk's Imgur link to see his underground, "Lava Domicile". A lot of careful work to build a glass house under a lake of lava.

Yup, noob, the Minetest addiction is very real and very easy to get into when surrounded by good folk with creative ideas. \o/

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 07:06

Update

There has been frustration with cacti not growing.

The 2015_04_27 update to the "official" minetest_game added a little bit of "realism" and required cactus block to be placed vertically (param2 = 0) or else the cactus wouldn't be allowed to grow.

As it turns out, "vertical" isn't the only requirement; the player also has to be facing north when placing the cactus block. If the player is facing any of the other three compass directions when placing the cactus block, the cactus will not grow.

This bit of "realism" caused more frustration than it is worth.

I've commented-out the parts of code that added the vertical and north requirement for cactus to grow and I sped up the growing time a little.

Cactus is now like it used to be and can be placed on its side or rotated with the screwdriver and it will still grow to 4 blocks high (provided nothing else is in those spaces).

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Sat Jun 06, 2015 06:24

LazyJ, would you be willing to post the cactus patch?

Thron

In-game: Thron

by Thron » Sat Jun 06, 2015 22:10

Some new snaps... WorldBlender "The Road King" hard at work, Halina nice home and just here and there :)

The Server To Be
Thron :-)

WhiteKnight

In-game: BluAngel

by WhiteKnight » Mon Jun 08, 2015 13:43

LazyJ-
About the beautification project- are areas that were previously protected and are no longer protected available to be renovated? If I'm not clear just say so (I'm not always great at explaining myself). Thank you so much!
-BluAngel

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 05:17

@ OldCoder: paramat uploaded a Git commit (f92d49f) to minetest_game that may have fixed the cactus growth problem but I haven't tested it yet. paramat changed the param2 type from:

Code: Select all
    if node.param2 ~= 0 then
       return
    end

to:

if node.param2 >= 4 then
       return
    end

and

while node.name == "default:cactus" and height < 4 and node.param2 == 0 do

to

while node.name == "default:cactus" and height < 4 do

This may fix it so cacti will grow so long as they are place vertical-up in any of the four compass directions but I'm curious if they will grow if they are rotated vertical-down. It is easier and faster to turn a sideways cactus block with the screwdriver than to chop it with an axe and place it again so vertical-down can and does occur.

Another factor is the default texture of cactus is difficult to determine which way is vertical or not. In HDX or Misa texture packs, for examples, the linear grain of the cactus is very obvious.

On our sever, cacti are farmed for production to use elsewhere. When it comes to growing cacti in volume, sideways cacti are not a concern for players. With that in mind, I just commented out the param2 parts of the cactus growth code so it doesn't matter which way the bottom cactus block is turned, the cactus will still grow vertically to 4 nodes high (so long as nothing is in the way).

@Thron: Thanks for the screenshots. It's good to have a roving photographer to show off some of the neat stuff on our server.

For those of you who don't know, Worldblender is the "Road King" of our server and has done a lot of work creating well planned and nicely designed roads, shoulders and rest areas along the way. Thron's screenshots above show some of Worldblender's work. Worldblender's roads are giving more structure to our server and making it easier to navigate the world. Thron's screenshots are chronicling developments some major developments on the server. Good work, Thron and Worldblender. ;)

@BluAngel: Yup, previously Permafied stuff ("Owned by <playername>") in the southwestern Spawntown area have been depermafied for renovation. If you come across a build, any where else, that looks abandoned, incomplete or griefed, mark down the coords and ask an admin to check the logs to see how long it's been since anyone has done anything with it. Keep a running list for the future; sometimes a renovation project is a nice change of pace.

Our server's world has been around for over two years. In that time a lot of players have logged in, built a shack, and never came back. If a player has been banned or hasn't logged in for 6 months and their build is just a shack or an incomplete pile of cobble, the build is turned over to any established player for renovation, rework, or demolition.

Renovation is keeping as much of the original build's structure as befitting, and fixing, completing, furnishing, landscaping it to make the build look better.

Rework is taking an abandoned built and completely changing it... reworking it into something else.

Demolition is tearing down the build and restoring the land for some future player to use.

Another aspect of Project Beautification is mending several areas of land that have been strip mined or tore-up for materials. It can be something as simple as covering the bare stone with dirt or sand or as complex as landscaping a nice looking park.

@HALINA: You have made a very beautiful home. It is full of good ideas and inspiration for building and landscaping. :) Ok, now for the butchered Google Translate version: Lei ha fatto una bellissima casa. E 'pieno di buone idee e di ispirazione per la costruzione e l'abbellimento. :)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 04:34

Update

A few more tweaks have been added to existing mods.

• Colored wool now has a reverse craft. Place a colored wool into the craft grid; a white wool block will appear in the output. When the white wool block is removed from the output, the colored wool block (in the craft grid) changes to its respective dye. (Suggestion by klappspaten)
  • Stonebrick types reverse craft into their respective stone type, i.e.: 1 stonebrick will reverse craft into one stone block, 1 sandstonebrick will reverse craft into 1 sandstone block. This works for stonebrick, sandstonebrick, obsidianbrick, desert_stonebrick, coal_stone_bricks, and iron_stone_bricks. (Suggestion by Worldblender)
  • Our custom recipe's output for clay blocks has been boosted from 4 to 8. (Suggestion by klappspaten)
  • Brass blocks have been added. 9 brass ingots craft into 1 brass block; 1 brass block crafts into 9 brass ingots. Brass blocks are compatible with the circular saw. (Suggestion by noob101)
  • Mithril blocks are compatible with the circular saw. (Suggestion by deezl)
  • Climbing poison ivy is craftable and climbable. 3 grass, in a vertical column in the crafting grid = 3 climbing poison ivies.
  • Waterlilies are craftable. 1 white dandelion flower over 1 grass = 2 waterlilies.
  • Flowers, straw, wheat and cotton seeds, paper, sticks, string, ivies, seaweeds, and waterlilies can now be used as short-burn fuels. (Suggestion by Worldblender)

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 17:23

Mate, I'm impressed! Nice modifications and additions! I like the poison ivy most, but you obviously forgot to include the itching effect xD

Thanks a ton, noob101

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 04:27

Thanks, noob ;)

Update

• Dyes and moss have been added to the short-burn fuels that can be used in the furnace.
  • This update will be activated after the server restarts (nightly backup).

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 07:33

Update

Colored clay has been added to OtherBlocks

• Our custom recipe for clay blocks has been boosted to output 36 clay blocks. Regular clay is used in making bricks, colored clay, colored marbles and granites. The larger output is intended to give players some more, abundant, nice looking materials to build with.
  • Unlike default clay, when colored clays are dug they come back as a solid block instead of 4 lumps of clay. Colored clays are meant to be building blocks. Default clay blocks were meant to be a way of conserving inventory space (like compressed cobble for cobble or metal blocks for ingots).
  • Colored clay blocks are pastel alternatives to the bright colors of wool blocks in the default texture pack.
  • There are 15 colors of clay (16 if you count default clay).
  • White clay has been added because not all texture packs show default clay as white (or light grey).
  • Colored clay blocks are compatible with the saw.
  • Colored clay blocks have a reverse craft recipe that produces a regular clay block in the output and changes the colored clay block to its respective colored dye.
  • The colored clay crafting recipe is 1 clay block + 1 dye = 1 colored clay block.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 05:32

Updates
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_07_04.
  • MoreBlock's updated to 2015_07_04 release.
    • This update removed the slope recipes so the recipe display near spawn and the recipes in the slopes info file don't work any more. But that is OK because...
    • Slopes (and a few new slopes) are now in the saw's menu! You don't have to remember the recipes any more and you can see the slope shapes before making them.
    • This update affects the mese lamp stuff made in the saw and the steelbrush. The saw-made mese lamp stuff doesn't glow and the steelbrush isn't coded for the slopes. I've added those to my ToDo list.
  • Unified Inventory updated to 2015_06_28 release.
    • The update allows for a cut-down, greatly reduced functionality version of Unified Inventory intended for small devices. Our server is for full-sized PC's so the full-sized Unified Inventory is the version that will continue to be used on our server.
  • WorldEdit updated to 2015_06_18 release.
    • Code maintenance; no new toys.
  • The info files have been cleaned-up, "tips" and "destinations" have been fixed, and a few, new, info files have been added. Type /info list to see the new file's names and descriptions.

One of the new info files is "privs". It is a brief description of our server's priv upgrade policy. Below is a copy of the text and I will add it to the first post of this thread as well.

~~~~~~~~~~
Privs
~~~~~~~~~~

• Don't ask to be an admin or moderator. Admins and moderators are chosen,
    in secret, after a very long period of observation and debate between Miner_48er
    and LazyJ.
  • Privs are granted based on merit and good behavior.
  • With higher level privs comes the expectation of more responsibility from the
    player. It is because of this expectation that it usually takes a long time to
    be granted higher privs.
  • **Known and trusted** admins from other servers may be granted higher privs as a
    professional courtesy. Don't try to con us; we have a network of contacts among
    the other servers to know about admins.
  • There is no defined time for when privs are upgraded. It is literally up to
    LazyJ and Miner_48er to determine if you are eligible or not.
  • "Spill" and "twist" privs are granted after a few weeks of observation if the
    player has not caused any problems.
  • "Fly" is granted after a few months of observation for good behavior.
  • "Kick, ban/xban, basic_privs" are granted to mature players who have been on
    our server a long time and thoroughly understand our rules and expectations of
    conduct.
  • "Areas_high_limit" is granted after a player has used-up their already large
    allotment of Areas, proven to be a prolific builder of good quality builds, and
    has proven to be a pillar of our community.
  • Privs higher than these are at moderator and admin levels.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 22:42

Thron wrote:Some new snaps... WorldBlender "The Road King" hard at work, Halina nice home and just here and there :)

[bunch of pictures]

The Server To Be
Thron :-)

Please hide all the pics in a
+ Spoiler
;-)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Sat Jul 11, 2015 23:22

Hiding screenshots in spoiler tags will not decrease the load time. Only by reducing the height/width, resolution and compressing the images can help there.

Free programs like IrFanView, PNGGauntlet (for Windows) or pngquant, optipng (for Linux) or a web-based app like CompressPNG.com can compress Minetest's png screenshots. IrFanView is a multi-tool that can do more than image reduction and compression.

I encourage players from our server to post screenshots on this thread because it makes our thread a photo-journal of our server. There are many photo-hosting services but they are scattered and varied. This thread is all about our server, including screenshots, in one place.

Yes, large, high resolution, uncompressed screenshots make pages load much slower but I would rather our players post screenshots than not.

LazyJ

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 23:46

This server is very-very impressive, has lots of nice and interesting buildings, lots of masterpieces, just walking alone is very interesting. Example shot from the side: https://i.imgur.com/VJpIKFq.png I'm amazed.

Be sure to use 64 bit minetest and have lots of RAM (or use tweaks in minetest.conf). 32 bit will crash without tweaks in config.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 07:05

Thanks, Fixerol ;)

Nice night-time screenshot too!

The tweaks Fixerol is referring to are adding these two lines to the minetest.conf file:

enable_mesh_cache = false
client_unload_unused_data_timeout = 60

Newer versions of 0.4.12-dev already have the mesh_cache set to false. Older versions of 0.4.12 don't have this. If you're not sure which 0.4.12 you have, go ahead and add the "enable_mesh_cache = false". HomeDecor, MoreBlocks, and now the default Minetest game use mesh nodes. Disabling the cache will free-up some RAM.

Client_unload_unused_data_timeout tells Minetest when to get rid of data that's not being used any more. If you teleport to some far away location, say to check-out a friend's newly completed build, and then teleport back to continue work on your project, Minetest will unload the data from visiting your friend's build after 60 seconds.

Updates:
  • The fences mod's fence posts and gates can now be used as medium-burn fuels (1 post or gate cooked 5 cobble into stone in my tests).
  • A few more blocks have been made saw compatible:
    • Streak-free and wood framed glass from HomeDecor's submod "Building Blocks".
    • Silver and tin blocks from MoreOres.
    • MoreBlocks' empty bookshelf and various wood tile blocks as well as trap stone and the different trap glasses (along with their glass_cube counter-parts). The empty bookshelf was added mostly for the half-slab version (narrow shelves) and different pattern options for pixel artists to use . The wood tile blocks can be cut-down to look like small, wooden containers and the new slope options may create interesting designs with the wood tile's various patterns. The trap stuff can be cut-down into thin panels to use where a full-sized block may be too bulky. Creative, structural design possibilities

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Thu Jul 16, 2015 03:15

I'm not saying anything like that. I suggest that you hide screenshots/images on a spoiler, because if you don't, the page is very long. Me, and I'm sure that a bunch of other people, don't like a thread where all the page is covered in pictures, that actually, look the same.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 07:42

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_07_19.
  • A diamond block admin shop has been added next to the colored wool admin shops.

SirDerpingtun4

GitHub: SirDerpingtun4
IRC: SirDerpingtun4
In-game: SirDerpingtun4

by SirDerpingtun4 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:21

Hey Lazyj... It's me(SirDerpingtun4), please unban me, I didn't know that someone lived in that house... It looked abandoned(There was no roof for Pete's sake)... So please unban me and I'll promise to give back Capobastone's stuff back and I'll never take from any house or chest that I come across. :( Just please unban me. <:( I will do ANYTHING to get back on your server. It is the only good Server for Builders. PLEASE I BEG OF YOU. :'(
Please have mercy on me. {:(

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 03:24

SirDerpingtun4 wrote:Hey Lazyj... It's me(SirDerpingtun4), please unban me, I didn't know that someone lived in that house... It looked abandoned(There was no roof for Pete's sake)... So please unban me and I'll promise to give back Capobastone's stuff back and I'll never take from any house or chest that I come across. :( Just please unban me. <:( I will do ANYTHING to get back on your server. It is the only good Server for Builders. PLEASE I BEG OF YOU. :'(
Please have mercy on me. {:(

SirDerpingtun4, our server is a good server because we adhere to the rules. The server rules are shown to players each time they log in. The very first rule is: "No griefing. Do not destroy or vandalise other people's stuff." because it is that important to us.

The second rule that is displayed is "No stealing." That rule is also very important because our players work long and hard to gather materials to create with.

All to often, when banned players have been given another chance (and in some cases, as many as third and fourth chances), these players continued to grief and steal. As a result, bans are permanent.

There are many other servers out there; just look on the public server list in your client's menu or in this "Servers" forum. When you find another server, abide by their rules and strive to become a good and trusted member of their community.

SirDerpingtun4

GitHub: SirDerpingtun4
IRC: SirDerpingtun4
In-game: SirDerpingtun4

by SirDerpingtun4 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 19:04

But I'm not like other players that keep griefing... I'm the kind of player that learns from his mistakes and I wanna prove it to you. Please let prove it to you :(

PreviousNext

Return to Servers