Jordach wrote:Should be LED NUMBERS.
i would have to make it WAY bigger,
Keep calm and code python^_^

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

No you dont, just needs around 18 blocks horizontally, and as many vertical.

mcburgerbob

by mcburgerbob » Post

wow a digital clock... interesting
MY CAKE!

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

Jordach wrote:No you dont, just needs around 18 blocks horizontally, and as many vertical.
I thought you me ment numbers on the face of the clock tower I made
Keep calm and code python^_^

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Post

I build random structures...randomly...usually buildings and I like to do my roofs by doing the stair method.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

I always just make whatever I need. I have done castles, tunnels, mines, hangars, homes, and even factories. It's always fun when your building style is as flexible as a noodle ^^

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I've been repairing alot of griefing (vandalism) on Gameboom and I've learned alot of new styles from doing so.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

I tend to learn from YouTube half the time. :D

kidmondo
IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

Re: What's your building style?

by kidmondo » Post

I love to build modest houses out of sandstone and tree with wooden plank steps as the roof, I also enjoy building ships and fountains

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Don't bump old topics please. This one is pretty attractive looking but still, it is dead.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

philipbenr wrote:... This one is pretty attractive looking ...
and that is why it shouldn't be considered dead ..

The subject doesn't go stale as it is not about something that gets outdated. (hopefully
I would suggest that some subject can get bumped if they do no harm. Creating a new one is beyond the point for threads that are thought to offer a place to collect ideas.

So - what is your building style?

I use several I guess.

The easiest to describe is a grid system I use for mining. It is based on tunnels 3 by 3 blocks with one block left standing between. Quit often I also use that, or some variant on the surface.

Else I usually try to keep building things that at least look like they could be possible in real life. Some buildings do indeed have real life inspirations.

I often try to fit the buildings into the landscape and for that may have to do massive landscaping that tries to hide itself.
Once a place is chosen I may start working on the surroundings to generate nice attractive viewpoints. Sadly this does not seem to be something others care for, so development on some servers has destroyed many views I have carefully designed (hi cheapie and rubberduck - I just had to do this :D, no offense meant, keep up your otherwise good and sometimes excellent building.)

Actually the way building develops on some servers spawn areas is surprisingly similar to real life and as such pretty interesting. What I do dislike and try to avoid by all means is windowless huge boxes that sport only one material. As such you may find me attempting to beautify said boxes.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Most of my buildings are rather small and try to be as realistic as possible, using very thin nodes for walls inside the house. Each building ought to be suitable for what it's built for. So you most likely won't find any houses where making the trip from your bed to the kitchen will take more than a day. Instead, you may get stuck in a tight corner if you don't pay attention.
Buildings ought to fit to the sourrounding area. So I usually wait until there's a bit and adjust my building to some degree. The landscape also wants to be taken into account. I'm not as capable as twoelk and do not sculpture the landscape itshelf; the house just tries to fit in.
A list of my mods can be found here.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

My building style is pretty simple, depending on resources I tend to craft stone block homes with a lot of wooden trim and decks. I am really big on tree farms, and gardens as well as adding scenery beauty to the property. Just recently in my builds I have been adding flowers and grass in certain spots. Typical dwelling construction is your basic 7x7 in size, then additions are added when appropriate.

I gravitate to stone world survival servers for the extra challenge of making something so bleak look so nice when complete.

I also tend to build dozens of places with slightly different building variations.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

My building style is inspired from the style of architecture used in these villas in the UAE, which is where I grew up.

A plus point is that the architectural style is blocky!
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

kidmondo

by kidmondo » Post

hoodedice wrote:My building style is inspired from the style of architecture used in these villas in the UAE, which is where I grew up.

A plus point is that the architectural style is blocky!
That is so cool! I wish i was able to build like that :/

LazerRay
GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Post

I tend to build with what I have and expand/update as I gather more resources, but I tend to have a plan a head of time for the final look.

For example I use log blocks for the framework of a building and fill it in with a different block type while having the frame form patterns across sections of the structure which also double a measurement markers.

Underground areas tend to use one block type, but with slopes in corners and on the tops/bottoms of columns to make them look carved out or re-enforced.

My roof style tends to look like a dome, starting with steep slopes for the lower section, shallow slopes for the middle, and a flat top.

Smaller details are just based on what looks good with certain materials like using both fences and poles of the same type for support and lamp posts.

PeterPanda

by PeterPanda » Post

I prefer building the basic foundation first, then building the entire front wall or section of the build so I can get a feel for what style I want to carry on throughout the build. Also, I can make changes or modifications a bit easier.

The-Operator219
In-game: Operator Icanttalk[formerly]

by The-Operator219 » Post

Victorian or medieval, and sky bases on multiplayer.
Long live OperatorCorp!

kidmondo

by kidmondo » Post

The-Operator219 wrote:Victorian or medieval, and sky bases on multiplayer.
I just try doing that even in single player.... I usually try to make my builds into towns

The-Operator219

I also rarely do modern, but I don't care for it.
Long live OperatorCorp!

kidmondo

by kidmondo » Post

The-Operator219 wrote:I also rarely do modern, but I don't care for it.
I've tried so hard to build modern before but it just looks bland whenever i try :P

The-Operator219

On free pizza server I have an entire castle being built.
Long live OperatorCorp!

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

I usually build in a simetric way, like in cubic/rectangle segments, so I can expand my house when I need, usually the size of that "segments" is delimited by the size of the protection blocks. But anyways I still building small houses, with no more than 2 floors, a basement, and a plain roof.

The-Operator219

I find symetry a challenge, but I do build on cliffs for visibility.
Long live OperatorCorp!

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

in my short-life singleplayer worlds i used to build towers.
mostly small but high and with something fancy on top. (the ice tower had blue flames.)
my last tower was the bamboo tower.
it had a radius of 10 blocks and earned the title of "largest tower ever made".
after the 5th floor, i quit it out of boredom and decided that i had enough building practice to play on servers.

now i'm on the Xanadu server. when i started i didn't have a specific style, i just liked antique and magic stuff, so the first thing i build was a little white construct that is shaped like the ruins of a greek temple.
then i build a tower again.
then i build my first real house: small square rooms inside a mountain. each room with a different colour.
this could have become my building style, but i still preferred towers.

but then i discovered my speciality:
Crafterlouie renovated the destroyed spawn area of the Stone Stargate and the TNT-blasted wasteland turned into a beautiful landscape with great buildings. i wanted to contribute something there and got my hands on a nice mountain side at which i planned to build Sol Sanctum. a temple hidden inside the mountain with decoratice pillars and circles that hold small models of the sun and the moon.
the small Sol and Luna rooms became the best that i build so far and the pillars and the magic circles were my favourite designs. so i started to plan the final part of Sol Sanctum that surpasses everything: the Inner Sanctum.
same structure as before, but at least twice as large.
since i never build something of this size before i had to draw it on paper to get everything to the right size and position.
the Inner Sanctum is 59x59 and 7 blocks high, the inner part will be a little higher so that the sun will fit inside.
the magic circle that fills the entire room has so much detail that it looks almost round and smooth and no edges stand out. when i completed the drawing of the circle and looked at it, i realized that this will become my personal building style. none has done it before and from what i heard from others, none could do it like i did.

and with this i made my very own original style. :)
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨