[Mod] Creatures [git] [minetest_mods_creatures]

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Re: [Mod] Creatures [git] [minetest_mods_creatures]

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Today has been a crazy day for this mod and the new items module. Here is the full list of new features that got added:

- The old drop system was removed and mobs were finally given actual inventories. Since Lua entities can't have real inventories, they are stored in a table but still as item stacks. For example: If you want to get the first item in a mob's inventory, you simply do self.inventory[1]:get_name(). Additionally, a player will get a mob's inventory upon possessing it. By default, mobs will spawn with random tools and materials on them.

- Mobs now also have a (virtual) wield item. By default it is set to 1 and there are no logics to change which item is selected, but mods can do so by setting self.inventory_wield index to any entry in the inventory.

- When punching someone while wielding an item, mobs will now deal the damage of that item! This means that if a mob is holding a sword, it will do the damage specified in the sword's tool capabilities. If the mob is wielding no item, it will do the damage specified in its creature settings like until now.

- Wielded items in the items module have been fully implemented and bug fixed. Mobs now have the items in their inventory showing in their hand and on their belt, with the new wielded item feature being respected and working the same way as for players. I also fixed the many bugs present in yesterday's early implementation, such as items breaking if the player possessed another creature and its model and item settings changed. The loop was also made as efficient as possible, doing simple and minimal checks before applying any changes.
Spoiler

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

This mod is turning into an impressive work full of features MirceaKitsune. It's fantastic :)
Are you planning to release a separate mod with only the mobs api and its logic? I'm thinking on something like peaceful_npc mod or similar.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Today has been yet another day full of crazy new features. This is what has been added since last night:

- Items can have two special functions in their definitions: on_mob_wield, which executes per mob think while the item is wielded by the mob, and on_mob_punch, which executes if the mob punches someone while holding that item. For instance, you could add an on_mob_wield function to default:dirt in nodes.lua to make the mob do something while holding a stack of dirt. Items can virtually contain mob logics, which will be useful if stuff like firearms will be someday implemented. Mob targets and item entities (items module) can also have custom functions defined on them.

- Tool wearing has been implemented. If a creature punches another creature while holding a tool, that tool will degrade. This works for both the player's and mob's wielded items, and the amount is customizable in the default creature setup. Tools in a mob's inventory will also have a random wear when they spawn, also customizable.

- Mobs can pickup dropped items from the ground! This is achieved by using a custom target function for the "__builtin:item" item type, which makes the mob attack the item and take it in their inventory when punching. Feel free to drop a stack of items on the ground, then watch as mobs move toward it then it appears in their hand or on their belt.

- Players and mobs now drop their inventory to the ground when they die. If someone is killed, you will see nearby mobs quickly proceeding to loot the items that fell off the victim.

- API documentation for the items module, as well as all the new features described above.
Ivà wrote:This mod is turning into an impressive work full of features MirceaKitsune. It's fantastic :)
Are you planning to release a separate mod with only the mobs api and its logic? I'm thinking on something like peaceful_npc mod or similar.
I have put a lot of work into this and the Structures mod, so I appreciate that you like it! The creatures system and default creatures are already separate mods, but they're distributed into a single modpack in the GIT repository (easier to maintain). You can include "creatures" without "creatures_races_default" anytime in the Minetest mods folder, or simply disable the default races from the world's mods menu.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

Great mod so far!

Two wishes though:
1. could you split up creatures_races_default/init.lua into several files for each mob or race? This way it would be easier to keep track of the whole thing.
2. could you implement reproduction of mobs (by feeding them special items)?

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

For today's update, I have some slightly bad news and some very good news.

The bad news is that I won't be able to add item pickpocketing like I announced. It turns out that for some reason, attached entities cannot have a bounding box, meaning you can't select worn items by looking at them. Considering this, the items module will pretty remain a visual effect to see wielded items without offering any gameplay changes, although that's still an useful and pleasant feature.

Now for the good news: During the last days, I've been hard at work implementing a realistic detection mechanism for mobs. Mobs no longer magically know where everyone around them is, just because it's within their view range. Target detection is instead based on three senses: Seeing, hearing, and touching. You can sneak up behind mobs, hide to not be noticed, and pretty much get the essential mechanics you see in most stealth games. This is the exact mechanism now used in GIT:

- Touching:

A mob will first of all notice a target if it's bumping into it. We know this by calculating the bounding box of the mob and that of the target, and checking if they are closer than 0.25m.

- Hearing:

An audibility mechanism was introduced. The function can be used by anything that triggers a sound connected to a player or mob, and can set them as audible by amount X and for duration Y. By default, a creature will be heard by mobs when it: Punches a node, digs a node, places a node, makes footstep sounds by walking, or makes a vocal sound (like the pain or attack sounds).

What's even cooler is that for nodes, audibility is automatically determined by the type of node you're interacting with. This is possible by fetching and using the gain value of the sounds directly from the node definition! For instance, mobs or players that walk on grass will produce less noise and be harder to hear than mobs who walk on stone, whereas digging a dirt node will draw less attention than breaking a glass node.

If you wish to sneak behind a mob without being heard, you must hold down the sneak button as you move. That way you will not get an audibility level, and mobs won't notice you if you're behind them and don't bump into anything.

- Vision:

The third check if visual sight, which itself got a few additions. The most important is a field of view scanner, which makes sure that mobs only see people in their view range and not those behind them! It uses the FOV setting from minetest.conf, meaning that whatever focal length the server defaults to for players will be used by mobs as well. The formula used to calculate the virtual cone was a bit problematic, and got written with a lot of help from TeTpaAka and Nore... you can see what went on in this thread or the IRC logs.

Detection will also depend on light level additionally. A creature standing in broad daylight will be easier to see, whereas a creature in a dark spot mode difficult. Hiding in the dark reduces the changes of being seen by an enemy mob.
Rochambeau wrote:Great mod so far!

Two wishes though:
1. could you split up creatures_races_default/init.lua into several files for each mob or race? This way it would be easier to keep track of the whole thing.
2. could you implement reproduction of mobs (by feeding them special items)?
I might consider #1 at some point. #2 probably won't happen for the default creatures, but might be possible to do by using a custom function in your creature definition... especially with how flexible scripting custom functionality without changing the core mod is now.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

A heads-up: I have re-licensed the code from WTFPL to LGPL. This mod has grown into a pretty large project, and as such I think it needs a clearer and less controverted license. Since LGPL is the license Minetest itself is released under, while I exclusively want all of my code to be free but always remain open-source, I am happy with this move.

Note that SimpleMobs by PilzAdam, which is what this mod was initially based on, is released under WTFPL. The license has no restrictions to re-licensing, whereas the latest version of Creatures is so different there are barely any code passages still resembling those of SimpleMobs. Therefore this is alright in relation to the original mod.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Thank you for creating and mentioning these pull requests! They are both problems that affect my mod directly, as I noticed since the first days after I put it together. I was initially going to open a list of feature requests for them, as well as a few more engine bound limitations... glad someone else took notice of them.

Another noticeable one which should be easy to solve is makes_footstep_sounds not working for players either (not disabling footsteps). Perhaps you could fix that one as well sometime, if you're doing work in this area please?

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:Another noticeable one which should be easy to solve is makes_footstep_sounds not working for players either (not disabling footsteps). Perhaps you could fix that one as well sometime, if you're doing work in this area please?
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/2852

EDIT:
Could you please make a list of issues that ought to be fixed for this mod? I really want to see your game and want to help creating it. (And I might use this mod for another subgame).

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TeTpaAka wrote: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/2852

EDIT:
Could you please make a list of issues that ought to be fixed for this mod? I really want to see your game and want to help creating it. (And I might use this mod for another subgame).
Wow... thanks for fixing that so quickly! To be honest, the list isn't all that long. The main problem is the lack of configurable collision boxes, followed by the wield hand not being customizable, then less noticeable things like the footstep sounds.

The only real remaining problems are finding ways to disable the builtin fall damage and lava damage for players. Some mobs (like the stone monster) can bathe in lava without being hurt, but the player version cannot. I'm not sure how these overrides can and should be handled however... after all, the lava node defines that there should be damage, so it would be silly to implement code to tell it not to. Fall damage should make sense to disable via a flag. Any ideas on how to solve this, as well as code changes that make sense in order to, would surely be helpful!

The rest are things that aren't so urgent. Like Lua entities having real inventories (can be worked around by storing item stacks in a table) or entities supporting floating name tags like players (would be nice but not urgently needed). Yaw interpolation is another thing that would greatly help to improve the mod visually, and has been a very wanted feature for players for ages... for some reason however, no one so far succeeded in doing it.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote: The only real remaining problems are finding ways to disable the builtin fall damage and lava damage for players. Some mobs (like the stone monster) can bathe in lava without being hurt, but the player version cannot. I'm not sure how these overrides can and should be handled however... after all, the lava node defines that there should be damage, so it would be silly to implement code to tell it not to. Fall damage should make sense to disable via a flag. Any ideas on how to solve this, as well as code changes that make sense in order to, would surely be helpful!
The problem with the damage system of minetest is, that it is partly client side. Since recently, you can disable any damage dealt to a player with minetest.register_on_player_hpchange, but there is no way the server would know, what dealt the damage.
With the rest, I can't really help, sorry. Interpolating the yaw seems a bit too complex for me and you found a proper workaround for the inventories.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TeTpaAka wrote:The problem with the damage system of minetest is, that it is partly client side. Since recently, you can disable any damage dealt to a player with minetest.register_on_player_hpchange, but there is no way the server would know, what dealt the damage.
With the rest, I can't really help, sorry. Interpolating the yaw seems a bit too complex for me and you found a proper workaround for the inventories.
No worries, your existing pulls help a lot with the essential problems. I also wasn't aware that register_on_player_hpchange can be used to solve this, although I know it's a relatively recent function. I will look into it and use this if it works, thanks for the heads up!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Check out the 3d_armor mod by Stu, I added crystal armor and a lava protection system that hurts the player when they aren't wearing full crystal armor... That may help you out here...

https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... r/3d_armor

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Check out the 3d_armor mod by Stu, I added crystal armor and a lava protection system that hurts the player when they aren't wearing full crystal armor... That may help you out here...

https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... r/3d_armor
Thank you. I know about the 3D armor mod, and was planning to create a fork for Creatures. With the items module however, I don't think I plan to any more... the module should be scriptable enough to allow this via attached entities and through custom inventory slots. Also because the bigger project I plan to use Creatures for will have a slightly different health system.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Once again I went on a feature spree with the mod today, and added another set of changes which I think everyone will like:

- The biggest new feature is the ability to exorcise (de-possess) mobs! Players can now abandon their body, which turns them into a ghost and spawns a mob with their exact same settings (appearance, health, inventory, etc). Players can virtually jump from body to body this way, freely turning themselves into or out of whoever they want, and can even see their former selves walking around or following them! With the default creatures, you currently abandon your body by clicking your icon in the inventory formspec.

- Attack and armor groups are now customizable. Previously, mobs used a hardcoded "fleshy" group for damage, whereas now you can use your own damage types and make specific mobs weaker or stronger to specific tools.

- The damage system received several reworks: There are no longer any hardcoded "water" and "lava" settings for environment damage, and instead you specify node groups that mobs will take damage to. Mobs will also take damage based on the damage_per_second setting of the node they're standing in, which is a builtin parameter normally used for players and enabled for lava in minetest_game. Further more, breath and drowning are now emulated for mobs, and mobs that stay too long underwater will begin to drown just like players. Lastly, minetest.register_on_player_hpchange is now used to handle player damage, and can contain a custom function per creature definition like all other minetest.* hooks.

- Liquid viscosity is now accounted for mob movement, just like it is for players. If a mob is standing in a dense liquid, its movement speed will be affected by that liquid's viscosity setting.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Nicely done, downloading now to try it out :)

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

I really like the new additions.
But I found, that sheep grow their wool back when they are possessed. Their state isn't transferred to the player.

EDIT:
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2015-07-01#i_4304467
It should be more like 1.57
The yaw is calculated in radians, so 90 degrees are pi/2, which is around 1.57.
But I agree, this should be fixed.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2658

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TeTpaAka wrote:I really like the new additions.
But I found, that sheep grow their wool back when they are possessed. Their state isn't transferred to the player.
Thanks! And yes... now that I think about it I can see why that happens, although I'm not sure when and how to fix it. Certain mob-only properties aren't as easy to persist on players, although players have a data table where they can be given custom parameters which could make this solvable. As I've spent a lot of time and energy working on the core mod, I might have to leave looking into this for later.
TeTpaAka wrote: EDIT:
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2015-07-01#i_4304467
It should be more like 1.57
The yaw is calculated in radians, so 90 degrees are pi/2, which is around 1.57.
But I agree, this should be fixed.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2658
Thanks for that info! I modified it and pushed a new commit, now I do "- (math.pi / 2)" which seems safest and I can confirm it works fine now. Indeed, I see no reason why getyaw and get_look_yaw return different numbers, I believe this should be fixed!

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

TeTpaAka: The simple solution to wool regrowing is that during possession an influx of energy causes said sheep to quickly grow it's wool... ehe

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:TeTpaAka: The simple solution to wool regrowing is that during possession an influx of energy causes said sheep to quickly grow it's wool... ehe
I thought of that, too. But gameplay wise, it is cheaty. You can simply possess a sheep over and over again and receive infinite amounts of wool. Also, there is no explanation, where the energy comes from.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Unless you separate sheep and sheep_shaved and have them as two different entities to possess, that way you have to feed either through right-clicking or eating as a resident to regain the wool...

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Unless you separate sheep and sheep_shaved and have them as two different entities to possess, that way you have to feed either through right-clicking or eating as a resident to regain the wool...
Yeah, I need to think what the best solution is. Until then, this will unfortunately remain an unfair advantage in my mod.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Today I added the last major feature I had planned, in regard to stealth and realistic behavior: Alert levels.

The way they work is that the mob has an alert_level parameter, which defines its state between "friendly" and "hostile". When the value is 0, attack targets are unlikely to be carried out and little action will be taken toward them, the mob only focuses on friends. Oppositely, when the value is 1, follow targets are unlikely to be given attention, and the mob will focus only on attacking enemies. All effects determined by alert levels are reversed between the two.

The alert level rises with each detection of an enemy, using touch / hearing / sight. Typically the alert will rise to 1 after the mob sees approximately 4 enemies. The alert then slowly drops over time, and will also drop faster if there are allied mobs nearby. A mob will fully lose its alert status within approximately 100 seconds, but that can be much quicker if there are friends nearby.

Apart from influencing what types of targets get carried out, the alert level also influences what actions the mob actually does! By default, this is the general course... it and other parameters can be customized per creature of course:

- 0 to 0.25: The mob simply stands still and does absolutely nothing.

- 0.25 to 0.5: The mob turns around and faces their target as it moves around, but does not walk.

- 0.5 to 0.75: The mob also walks toward their target.

- 0.75 to 1: If the fast_mobs setting is enabled, mobs run instead of walking where appropriate.

- 0.5 to 1: The mob additionally punches and attacks their target.

Obviously, what I tried to do was emulating the behavior of AI in professional stealth games (like Thief and TheDarkMod). In these games, the player making a sound (like tipping a bottle over) will not get an enemy AI immediately jumping at them, but instead it will stop to look around confused. If the player continues to make their presence known, the AI will pull out their weapon and demand that anyone who is hiding comes out. Which by the way is something these mob will do as well... when I get to implementing the chat module and maybe recording some voices myself.

The changes you will see in practice for the time being are much more intelligent behaviors for mobs: A mob that sees an enemy up-close or fights them will take some time to calm down, and until then they will simply roam the area and not follow the player... after the mob is calm, it will proceed to follow allies around again. Also, players who sneak up behind mobs can no longer have the mob instantly attack them if they make a mistake (like a sound) which gets them noticed, and will instead attract attention gradually. Note that this is only enabled for people, monsters and enemies still use the same system currently.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

It......doesn't work. I disabled the player script as you said, and then enabled the mod, but still it doesn't let me load the world. Help?
I installed it in the mods directory, FYI.

EDIT: Now I totally deleted the line. But now it's the creatures mod itself that's preventing the world loading.

Code: Select all

Irrlicht log: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.1
Irrlicht log: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Irrlicht log: Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1.2
Irrlicht log: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2: NVIDIA Corporation
Irrlicht log: OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
Irrlicht log: GLSL version: 1.2
Irrlicht log: Resizing window (800 600)
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: D:\ABNew\Minetest 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures\init.lua:
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: ...t 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures/api_players.lua:188: attempt to call field 'register_on_player_hpchange' (a nil value)
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: 	...t 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures/api_players.lua:188: in main chunk
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: 	...Minetest 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures\init.lua:278: in main chunk
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\ABNew\Minetest 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures\init.lua
21:14:44: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\ABNew\Minetest 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures\init.lua

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Yes, that error is normal if you're using an older version of Minetest (the latest release might count too). I make use of the newly added minetest.register_on_player_hpchange function, which apparently your version of Minetest doesn't have. So I'm afraid you either need latest Minetest GIT, or to use an older commit from before I switched to this function.