[Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

nvrsbr

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.07] [ethereal]

by nvrsbr » Post

Love the fishing, but is there anyway to add more fish?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

When I get time I'll add more fish and hopefully find more textures for them...

nvrsbr

by nvrsbr » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:When I get time I'll add more fish and hopefully find more textures for them...
Sounds great.

nvrsbr

by nvrsbr » Post

Is this for v6 or v7 mapgen ?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal requires v7 maps to work properly...

amadin

by amadin » Post

How to disable this caves or how to reduce depth for this caves?

ethereal_caves = 0.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

caves are generated by minetest itself, you would have to disable them or reconfigure them by editing minetest.conf, not ethereal...

amadin

by amadin » Post

I fink about it, but in minetest.conf it must be off:
mgv7_spflags = noridges
mg_flags = trees, light, flat

I solve my problem. mg_flags = noridges

amadin

by amadin » Post

Lava don't deal damage, serv. 0.4.12, mod 1.16.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

When using Ethereal in my own server, no redwoods seem to spawn (e.g. like they do in Xanadu). I'm having a hard time figuring out why, though. They seem to be enabled in the code like all the other trees....

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Giant Redwood spawn in clay biomes (mesa) which do generate on map depending on the seed you use...

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

prestidigitator wrote:When using Ethereal in my own server, no redwoods seem to spawn (e.g. like they do in Xanadu). I'm having a hard time figuring out why, though. They seem to be enabled in the code like all the other trees....
No problems with redwoods here. Both Ethereal and Minetest from git within the last week.
Are you using mapgen7?

prestidigitator

ExeterDad wrote:Are you using mapgen7?
Yeah. Been generating a few different worlds with mg7 and Ethereal to try to find redwoods. I'm using 0.4.12 at the moment, not a dev version.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The mapgen used for Ethereal was supposed to be sorta realistic with humidity and temperatures defining realistic biomes, but it seems to make it harder to find certain types so I may redo the biomes so they are all spread out evenly...

prestidigitator

I get the red clay areas, but they are devoid of all vegetation. Plenty of trees in the other areas. Yellow, banana, jungle, normal, charred (or whatever), etc.

teneighty
In-game: teneighty

by teneighty » Post

Is this also caused by the ridge feature?

Not only that knife edge on each side but also that deep chasm running through the middle.

I've tried to change ethereal.mapstyle in init.lua, I've tried taking the disable ridges lines from mapgen_v7.lua and putting that in init.lua, I've tried a couple of the lines from a few posts back:

mgv7_spflags = noridges

and

mg_flags = trees, light, flat

without success. Either nothing happens, or it makes a completely different, much less desirable map.

I've seen much more walkable maps generated with ethereal, but I'm not having any luck.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Have you tried the latest daily builds ? Paramat has done a LOT of new work on the v7 mapgen that makes nicer maps and landscapes...

teneighty

by teneighty » Post

Oh, so not all v7 mapgens are alike. I will have to try the most recent version as you suggested.

Thanks

teneighty

by teneighty » Post

Made a big difference alright. The previous post was minetest 4.11 and ethereal 1.12.

Still using the same seed,
minetest 4.12 ethereal 1.16 no longer had the knife edge:

ethereal 1.16 with the minetest 20150731 build however was dramatically different. The ridge shifted to the left a little from the perspective in the image, I had to move over a little, but other than the slight shift, that ridge is still there.

So the ridge, in the form of a river, has never really changed.

teneighty

by teneighty » Post

SOLVED, I think...
I tried amadin's suggestion again, adding mg_flags = noridges to minetest.conf, and the ridge is gone, yay!

it appeared there were some configurable options in init.lua in ethereal 1.12 that selected mapgen_v7l.lua which contained some code to disable ridges. It didn't work on my system apparently, but it's not there in ethereal 1.16. How come it was removed?

Seems like a handy idea to have a bunch of mapgen parameters that could be easily altered this way, in addition to enabling and disabling the different biomes. Maybe that hinders compatibility with different versions of minetest.

amadin

by amadin » Post

deleted

EdShouldBeInBed
In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Post

Ethereal has rapidly become part of my "Insomnia" solo-game, the one I load up when I know I'm not going to be able to function on a server. I have a question for Tenplus1 in particular, and the users of this great mod in general.

Today, I got this:
2015-08-18 09:33:17: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "default_pinewood.png" while building texture
2015-08-18 09:33:17: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "default_pinewood.png"
2015-08-18 09:33:18: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "default_pinewood.png" while building texture
2015-08-18 09:33:18: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "default_pinewood.png"

Did I accidentally delete something in my last update? Is this something in the base game I didn't copy properly when creating my solo game folder?

To the crowd: I'm slowly adding mods to said solo game. Any I should know just won't play nice with Ethereal? I'm thinking of adding caverealms. They seem like natural fits, but...

I've already added Ten's farming redo and several of the Mobs from his redo of that. Any other mods that you think compliment Ethereal like a fine wine?

Oh, I'm avoiding adding Technic for now. I'm... er, usually too sleep deprived when I play these worlds to have the patience for that tech tree. :)
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ed: The errors were due to devs changing the texture name for pinewood but if you install the latest Ethereal from github then the missing texture is included for older builds... Newer 0.4.12 dev builds work fine...

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Y'know, I don't even understand some of the code in this mod. Shows how far it's come. Thank you, TenPlus1, for keeping this mod going. If you'd like to tell me what version number you think it is, I would gladly change the topic title.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

But, TenPlus1, those beautiful flowers on your server still aren't in this mapgen.