[Game] Adventuretest

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by Sokomine » Post

If it's Windows users that are having this problem, then it's most likely caused by my handle_schematics mod. That mod is also intended to be a file browser. To that end, it tries to find schems in your world folders which it will then present for spawning through a build chest (can only be obtained via /giveme). This search failes on Windows as minetest.get_worldpath seems to return a path with backslashes under Windows instead of slahes. I thought lua did some abstraction there - but maybe that's only for reading files.

The problem ought to be fixed in the newest version.

The AdventureTest server currently has a problem as well: The blacksmiths are willing to melt our ores, but they fail to locate furnaces - even if they stand right next to one. Perhaps the protection system is preventing them from considering the furnace usable? But then, it's theirs...

Mapgen does not spawn papyrus. The medieval village type is extremly short of bookshelves as it's intended to be authentic - and they didn't have bookshelves in every farmhouse in the middle ages. Perhaps the church could have one...Or how about another quest for getting your own bookshelf?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Xanthin
GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

Thank you for your explenation Sokomine and the quick fix for the problem. Works now again. :)

About the papyrus generation: it actualy does generate. I found some of it in the shadow of a wonderful moody canyon right around the corner of my ruin (around 237/430). I guess the combination of water near jungle is good to find papyri.

Oh, and a bookshelf in the church would fit nicely in my opinion, like a kind of a small scriptorium.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

The new mapgen is still under development. I have decoration that still need to be added like the papyri (if it generates now it's from the old default/mapgen.lua functions), trees need to be added to the snowy biome, etc...

I think a quest to receive a bookshelf would be good.

Re: Blacksmiths: If there are any of the thin default:snow blocks (that turn into snow balls when you dig them) in the path to the furnace it screws up the pathfinding, I don't know if a problem with the engine's pathfinding functions or the portion of the pathfinding I wrote.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I have also been working on a minetest client specifically for Adventuretest (but it can also be used for any minetest sub-game or server). Here are a few of my changes so far.

- Client side sounds. This is still being worked on and tweaked. This adds ambient and water sounds without lag like the ambiance mod can have, plus you get these additional sounds in any game or on any server.
- Removed footstep sounds under water
- Always show coordinates and direction facing without turning on debug. Turning on debug shows more coordinate details.

Github: https://github.com/Bremaweb/adventuretest-client

It is currently up to date with the latest minetest dev and I'll try to keep it that way.

Krock compiled a Windows build for me but I haven't packaged it yet, I'll post a link once I get it put together.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Few updates:
- Reincorporated mob spawners in villages so they will repopulate if the population is ever wiped out.
- You can grind things like flowers, not just wheat seeds, in the hand mill. Ground flowers are required for most of the potions.
- Hunger no longer affects players with the immortal privilege.
- Added buttons for the Craft Guide, Skins, and Armor on the main inventory formspec.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Added writeable books and new players will get a locked book when they join that they can use as a diary or to keep notes. Locked books are readable by other players but not writable.

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

-How do I trash items that I don't want in my inventory.
Dropping doesn't work , I even tried standing on a ledge and tried dropping it down a cliff but doesn't work.
It keeps returning to my inventory.

- Can mobs attack you while in sleep mode ?

- Does time of day still progress during sleep mode ?

- Any bookmarks system that I can use to mark Villages found to get them easily again ?

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Marshall_maz wrote:-How do I trash items that I don't want in my inventory.
Dropping doesn't work , I even tried standing on a ledge and tried dropping it down a cliff but doesn't work.
It keeps returning to my inventory.
I haven't tried Adventuretest yet so I don't know if it has it's own solution. But what about the server command.

Code: Select all

/pulverize
It will destroy whatever you are wielding. One item or a stack, just depends what you are holding.
HTH

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Yes /pulverize will work to trash whatever you are wielding. I'll add a trash slot to the inventory and try to fix the throwing bug.

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

@ExeterDad , BrandonReese

Thank you I will try that command.

PS: Great job on this subgame. It is really fresh and interesting. Enjoying it a lot.

Sane
GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

Papyrus not generated.

by Sane » Post

It seems that all shore lines are completely out of gravel so papyrus is not generated which is a pity because the new villages don't have bookshelves anymore and thus you can't spent XP. I also haven't seen any clay.
Trying to stay me.

TheMCPenguin
In-game: TheMCPenguin

by TheMCPenguin » Post

When I first got this game, I used it perfectly. But now I get an odd error when I try to use it. It isn't anything to do with mod changes, because I re-downloaded it, with no change. I can't use it. The error is just below.

18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:547: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got boolean)
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'pairs'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:547: in function 'copy'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:549: in function 'copy'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...tureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:452: in function 'register_trapdoor'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...tureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:485: in main chunk
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua

I found a way to use it, but I have to cut and paste all the mods to the "mods" directory, and disable the "doors" mod. So...no doors...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Marshall_maz wrote: Can mobs attack you while in sleep mode ?
- Does time of day still progress during sleep mode ?
Yes to both. The game can and does run on multiplayer servers. For the other players (and hostile mobs), time propagates.
Marshall_maz wrote: - Any bookmarks system that I can use to mark Villages found to get them easily again ?
Type /vmap in chat to get a map of the villages around you. At least of those that have been generated. It won't show if the inhabitants are friendly or not. The new writable book may be useful for taking notes there.
Sane wrote: t seems that all shore lines are completely out of gravel so papyrus is not generated which is a pity because the new villages don't have bookshelves anymore and thus you can't spent XP. I also haven't seen any clay.
Do you refer to the current version in singleplayer or to Brandon's testserver? The testserver still has clay. Papyrus is also there...just far away from the starting village :-(

The village type "medieval" did not have any bookshelves as not too many people in the middle ages where able to read - certainly not some poor farmers. In order to make that village type more usable, the church got two bookshelves. They're at the sides of the tower, behind the benches. The table from cottages also learned to act as a crafting table and copies the behaviour of AdventureTest's workbench. In newly generated villages, anvil, treshing floor and handmill are more frequent (the bakeries got the later ones as well) and can be used by players. Furthermore, new medieval villages may have a "building" type called "allmende" which is basicly a place with a small well and some water below and a line of cobble around it (about 16x16 nodes in total). This place can be used by visitors (i.e. players) to do some farming or to grow some trees. It's a free-build area.

Villages of the type charachoal, grasshut and tent do not have bookshelves. They're rather primitive settlements, and the villagers didn't get around to install more permanent furniture yet :-)

On the testserver, at least one blacksmith was finally willing to cooperate and smelt my ores. I placed a furnace on the same ground level he was standing on - just outside the village area. He had wandered off a bit and was close enough to the edge to reach it. I literally put the furnace in front of his nose - and he found it :-) Another furnace, just one block higher, was ignored by him. Maybe furnaces in villages could spawn blacksmiths with a certain probability?

It also seems as if some villages are loosing. There are just too many spiders. If a group of spiders plus sandmobs takes on a villager together, it's sometimes the end of the poor villager. When I changed Nore's original village code, I also added a flat area around the village where the medieval type grows wheat, Taokis village grows cotton, and other villages just have some form of grassland. All these places get some random trees spawned for decoration. Sadly, that attracts spiders...And the central tree each medieval village is supposed to have is a junglewood tree as that did look best (a real linden tree would be more appropriate). The extremly dangerous small spiders love those jungleleaves. That spider type is also too aggressive. You just have to have been in the remote proximity of one to get poisioned.

BrandonReese

Re: Papyrus not generated.

by BrandonReese » Post

Sane wrote:It seems that all shore lines are completely out of gravel so papyrus is not generated which is a pity because the new villages don't have bookshelves anymore and thus you can't spent XP. I also haven't seen any clay.
There are shore lines of gravel and of sand. I just pushed an update that will make papyrus much more common along sand and gravel shores. I also tweaked the biomes a bit hopefully sand shorelines are a little more common now.

You will be able to find clay with sand like normal. Clay is also renewable, when dirt and sand come in contact under water there is a chance the sand block will turn to clay.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

TheMCPenguin wrote:When I first got this game, I used it perfectly. But now I get an odd error when I try to use it. It isn't anything to do with mod changes, because I re-downloaded it, with no change. I can't use it. The error is just below.

18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:547: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got boolean)
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'pairs'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:547: in function 'copy'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...st(AdventureTest)\bin\..\builtin\common\misc_helpers.lua:549: in function 'copy'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...tureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:452: in function 'register_trapdoor'
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ...tureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua:485: in main chunk
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua
18:03:55: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run F:\PC Stuff\MineTest(AdventureTest)\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua

I found a way to use it, but I have to cut and paste all the mods to the "mods" directory, and disable the "doors" mod. So...no doors...
The error seems to be in registering trap doors. It is supposed to be passing a table, but somehow it's passing true/false. What version of Minetest are you using? In the latest dev lines 547 and 549 of misc_helpers.lua have nothing to do with this error.

Sane
GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

Re: Papyrus not generated.

by Sane » Post

BrandonReese wrote:
Sane wrote:It seems that all shore lines are completely out of gravel so papyrus is not generated which is a pity because the new villages don't have bookshelves anymore and thus you can't spent XP. I also haven't seen any clay.
There are shore lines of gravel and of sand. I just pushed an update that will make papyrus much more common along sand and gravel shores. I also tweaked the biomes a bit hopefully sand shorelines are a little more common now.

You will be able to find clay with sand like normal. Clay is also renewable, when dirt and sand come in contact under water there is a chance the sand block will turn to clay.
Uhm ... I think I was a bit quick with my post, sorry for that.
The gravel shores seem to be a biome that is supposed to look that way. I simply had a bit of bad luck with my choices of random number seeds, so I always ended up in that biome, and so I thought it looked like that everywhere.
I also did nor realize how vast these biomes are, so I did not wander further than one or two exhaustion ranges.
Another thing I didn't think of was to search the buildings thoroughly, so I did not see the books in the temple. I guess acquiring knowledge and church don't fit together very well in my mind.

Now Ive found biomes (jungle) where soil is close enough to the water so papyrus is generated. Found clay too.
It seems that every thing is in order.

I find this game challenging, I like that. It's hard to advance to a point where you actually can build something that lasts a bit. And then those poison spiders! Man they're not just mean they are deadly!
Well I am curious what you'll come up with next. Maybe fishing (hint hint)?

Thank you for your work.
Last edited by Sane on Fri Aug 07, 2015 01:30, edited 3 times in total.
Trying to stay me.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Challenging is what I am going for. Building is definitely not going to progress as fast as it does in the vanilla game.

I figured the jungle should be the most dangerous place on the map, thus poisonous jungle spiders were born. There is an antidote for the poison now. It's not a very hard recipe so make some of that before you head back into the jungle.

I'm probably going to be working on more quest content in the near future

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Yea the Jungle is the dangerouse place :D and the poison is hard but not too hard.. but would be nice if the Screen went geen or so..like red when under attack.. or a hudpicture.. a skull or so. cause at the first time i dont know, waths happen with my life.. but after 2,3 times i have understand is from the little Spiders.. and i have banned the jungletrees, from my land ;)
I like the Gameplay.. good Job.

But is it possible that the Server is offline? I dosnt find him anymore...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Can't reach the server either :-( Last time I visited it, there was a huge assemblage of villagers in one village:
At least that place was safe from jungle spiders! :-)
Attachments
screenshot_20150804_214751.png
screenshot_20150804_214751.png (503.06 KiB) Viewed 786 times

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Server should be back up now. Sorry, I've been busy so I haven't done much updating to Adventuretest. I will probably have some time to do some updates and apply some of the updates Sokomine has made to villages.

For a while after switching to mg_villages when villages were created the spawn blocks to respawn NPCs weren't added to the villages. So the first few villages on the server were created without spawn blocks so the NPCs could all be wiped out and the village wouldn't repopulate. I added a few spawn blocks to the first village so it should start repopulating. Any new villages should have spawn blocks so if their residents get killed by spiders they should repopulate.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The village with the many inhabitants was a completely new one. The spawner there got a bit too enthusiastic :-)

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

It's entirely possible the meta data isn't getting set properly and isn't setting limits for entities in the area. I'll have to look into that.

Mugnoz
In-game: Mugnoz

by Mugnoz » Post

Hi All,
I'm sorry in advance for my poor english but I hope you understand me anyway.
I like very much this game and I 'm playing on minetest.bremaweb.com from a few days (thanks very much to Sokomine for helping me in my firsts steps).
I ' d like to install my server in single play for when I do not have an internet connection and I'd like to use VanessaE HDX 512 texture too, this is the strange thing:

- if I use Vanessa texture in 'vanilla' minetest_game all work fine.
- If I use Vanessa texture on server minetest.bremaweb.com all work fine.
- If I use base texture in adventuretest download game also all work fine.
Only if I use Vanessa texture in adventuretest download game then my server crash with this partial debug.log:

23:55:22: ERROR[main]: ServerError: caught (...)
23:55:22: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
23:55:22: ERROR[main]: [C]: in function 'get_data'
23:55:22: ERROR[main]: ....\games\adventuretest-master\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:876: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
23:55:22: ERROR[main]: ....\games\adventuretest-master\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1090: in function <....\games\adventuretest-master\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1047>
23:55:22: ERROR[main]: ...IOCHI\MINETEST\MINETEST\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:341: in function <...IOCHI\MINETEST\MINETEST\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:329>

I'm using Windows 10 on a old laptop, minetest version 0.4.12 64 bit and adventuretest game re-downloaded yesterday from github; I have created server with mgv7.
(I noticed the Slashes in mg_villages path buti have not error if i use base texture !?)

Can someone help me?

Tanks all in advance.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

@Mugnoz
get_data has only just recently been added to minetest in dev. Your minetest is too old to run this. Update to latest git or wait until 0.4.13 is released.
HTH

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

That's right, mg_villages requires a recent version of Minetest. I usually work with latest git. The villages code (mg_villages and handle_schematics) also gets updated frequently. It would be good to update Adventuretest accordingly.

The trees/leaves have not been changed yet. The tree generation code is an already outdated version of the tree generation code from default (plus snow and such) and needs to be updated/adapted in general.

The server still suffers from new players dying frequently. Too many hostile mobs spawn. At least the villagers now survive a bit longer. Life is very hard for new players - hunger is very high, stamina extremly low at the beginning (seems like you can't walk for 5 meters without taking a nap - no way to make it through the day), tools weak and extremly short-lasting (thus making the mobs even stronger).