[WIP] Cobble Compression [cobble_compression]

veikk0

[WIP] Cobble Compression [cobble_compression]

by veikk0 » Post

------------ Cobble Compression ------------
-------------- GitHub project <----> ZIP download --------------

---- Code license: GPLv3 ----- Texture license: CC BY-SA 2.0 ----

Dependencies: default

This is a simple mod that makes cobblestone easier to store and aims to make it more useful. Currently it adds eight tiers of compressed cobblestone and a full set of craftable tools for each tier.

Each tier of compressed cobblestone is crafted from nine pieces of the previous cobblestone tier:

9 Cobblestone makes 1 Compressed Cobblestone
9 Compressed Cobblestone makes 1 Double Compressed Cobblestone

And so on, this goes up to Octuple (8x) Compressed Cobblestone.

When you want your regular cobblestone back you can decompress your compressed cobblestone blocks:

Compressed Cobblestone tools

Compressed Cobblestone tools are crafted the same way normal stone tools are, only with Compressed Cobblestone. Currently the compressed cobblestone tools have the same stats as the default stone tools apart from durability, which multiplies by four every tier. I'll probably increase this at some point but you can easily change it yourself by changing the value of the "multiplier" variable in the "tools.lua" file.

How much cobblestone does each tier hold in total?

Making higher tiers of compressed cobblestone requires exponentially more regular cobblestone:
  • 1 Compressed Cobblestone = 9 Cobblestone
  • 1 Double Compressed Cobblestone = 81 Cobblestone
  • 1 Triple Compressed Cobblestone = 729 Cobblestone
  • 1 Quadruple Compressed Cobblestone = 6,561 Cobblestone
  • 1 Quintuple Compressed Cobblestone = 59,049 Cobblestone
  • 1 Sextuple Compressed Cobblestone = 531,441 Cobblestone
  • 1 Septuple Compressed Cobblestone = 4,782,969 Cobblestone
  • 1 Octuple Compressed Cobblestone = 43,046,721 Cobblestone
TODO LIST:
  • Make tools more useful
    • Trade some durability for better stats?
    • 8x durability increase every tier?
  • More uses for various tiers of compressed cobblestone
    • Better blast resistance for more TNT-proof buildings
      • Compress sand and smelt it into "bulletproof" glass?
    • Smelt into obsidian?
    • Create a portal to another dimension/location? (similar to the Nether mod, just with CC instead of obsidian)
    • Use Technic's compressors for something?
  • Remove some of the higher tiers? (I mean come on, who is ever going to collect 43 million cobblestone?)
    • Use Technic to add a faster way of generating cobblestone?
  • Textures for tool tiers (currently uses the same textures as the default stone tools)
    • Better textures in general
Feedback, suggestions, and fixes are welcome.
Last edited by veikk0 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:47, edited 5 times in total.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [WIP] Cobble Compression [cobble_compression]

by ExeterDad » Post

Cool contribution!

But I'm having a time getting my brain to understand the math.
To me double means two times. So shouldn't Double Compressed be 18 cobblestone?
And... Triple = 27 (3x9), Quadruple = 36 (4x9), Quintuple = 45 (5x9), and so on?

And are the higher levels of compressed cobble all created from default cobbles, or can compressed cobbles be combined to create new higher level compressed cobbles?

veikk0

by veikk0 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Cool contribution!

But I'm having a time getting my brain to understand the math.
To me double means two times. So shouldn't Double Compressed be 18 cobblestone?
And... Triple = 27 (3x9), Quadruple = 36 (4x9), Quintuple = 45 (5x9), and so on?

And are the higher levels of compressed cobble all created from default cobbles, or can compressed cobbles be combined to create new higher level compressed cobbles?
The name describes how many times the material has been through a compression process. I wanted to compress as much cobblestone at once as possible (hence it's always 9 in a crafting grid) but I couldn't come up with an exact descriptive name that isn't made of numbers which would reflect this. I might change it since "81 Cobblestone" or something like that would be more informative, but that might make things confusing in another way. The current name makes a clear distinction between the items, and while "X Cobblestone" might be more informative it would make it awkward to communicate it verbally ("I have 25 "81 Cobblestones"). I'm open to suggestions though.

All tiers are created by placing 9 of the previous tier in a crafting grid, so 9 cobblestone -> 1 compressed cobblestone, 9 compressed cobblestone -> 1 double compressed cobblestone, etc. I only included the list of total cobblestone needed for every tier for curiosity's sake. I'll probably add a universal crafting recipe image for the compression process for more clarity.

gravelman
In-game: gravelman

by gravelman » Post

WTF?I had exactly the same idea for a mod like this a few days ago! :D
Hopp Schwizz!

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Can you uncompress them to get the original (eventually) cobblestone back. If not, you might want to add that recipe so that it does actually become a good storage mod for cobblestone.

veikk0

by veikk0 » Post

LionsDen wrote:Can you uncompress them to get the original (eventually) cobblestone back. If not, you might want to add that recipe so that it does actually become a good storage mod for cobblestone.
Yes, the mod includes reverse recipes so you can keep uncompressing until you have regular cobblestone. Now that you mentioned it, I might be a good idea to add recipes to uncompress directly to regular cobblestone without having to go through the extra steps.

(There was also a typo in the quadruple compressed cobble recipes which broke them, it's fixed now.)

Anonymous_moose

by Anonymous_moose » Post

Perhaps you can make the cobblestone get harder to mine as it gets more compressed.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Is there anyone who would collect "531,441 Cobblestone"? This is just crazy.
I wrote a mod for my older server [down] that allowed to craft 9 cobble into 1 polished cobble block and backwards to 8 cobble nodes again. It was already enough to get rid of the mosty cobble and to build stronger buildings.

About the tools: I think they could have faster digging times and be able to dig cracky nodes with group 1.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

cool idea!
You also might make a mod for dirt/grass/coal... compression :)

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

You can already compress 9 coal into 1 block. It gives a long burn time in furnaces. Longer than 99 ores will take to smelt anyway.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

veikk0 wrote:Remove some of the higher tiers? (I mean come on, who is ever going to collect 43 million cobblestone?)
me.
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:
veikk0 wrote:Remove some of the higher tiers? (I mean come on, who is ever going to collect 43 million cobblestone?)
me.
I think if we progress into mass mining machines, using an auto crafting system to automatically compress the cobble would be completely reasonable. I vote keep the ^8 compression
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

I made something like this for an old mod I never released but then saw this and borrowed the textures for my skytest mod

there is actually even more levels of compression in skytest
9 cobble = 1 compressed
9 compressed = 1 double compressed
and so forth up unto octuple compressed (8x)

4 of those + 4 mese blocks = 1 bedrockium
2 bedrockium = 1 untonium
2 untonium= 1 dotonium
and so forth until neptunium(1 neptunium -2 octonium-2 septonium-2 sextonium-2 quintonium- 2 quatonium-2 tretonium- 2 dotonium-2 untonium-2 bedrockium - 344,373,768 pieces of cobble + 8 mese blocks)

yes its possible to obtain neptunium I have done so in my survival single player skyfactory world
neptunium is used in the fabrication of the most advanced machines like time dilators
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.