[Mod] mychisel [mychisel]

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

[Mod] mychisel [mychisel]

by Don » Post

mychisel - lets you chisel grooves into blocks
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Depends - Default
Download - mychisel 1.1 - for 0.4.13-dev and above
Download - mychisel 1.0 - for 0.4.13 and below
Github - mychisel
License - DWYWPL
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Left click to make a groove.
Right click to change mode. Mode is shown in chat.

The chisel wears out after 200 uses.

Craft
x x x
x i x
x b x

x = empty
i = steel ingot
b = brown wool
Spoiler
Last edited by Don on Tue Apr 05, 2016 01:13, edited 16 times in total.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

Re: [Mod]mychisel[mychisel]

by cd2 » Post

I really like this mod :)
You might add a cross mode to the chisel tool.

Don

by Don » Post

cd2 wrote:I really like this mod :)
You might add a cross mode to the chisel tool.
Thanks. I am planning on adding a cross that lines up with the vertical and horizontal modes.

Edit - I added the cross mode.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I like crafting mods you make alot.
The mode displayed in chat is a handy feature too.

Can you change it to have the chiseled nodes retain the groups
of the original material like in the stair mod?

most material used are cracky=3 but after chiseled they cracky=2
seems like chiseling something would not strengthen it

and can you add acacia_wood, the texture colors look great when chiseled :)
also default:pinewood has been changed to default:pine_wood

keep up the good work.

Don

by Don » Post

I will change the groups. What mod is acacia wood from?
I am planning to make a few changes so it is easy to add blocks. I should have it done within a couple days.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Don wrote:I will change the groups. What mod is acacia wood from?
Default :P

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Looks very fine! My first thought was: Some dark-brown junglewood decorations would go extremly well with these chinseled shapes.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don

by Don » Post

Sokomine wrote:Looks very fine! My first thought was: Some dark-brown junglewood decorations would go extremly well with these chinseled shapes.
Thanks. I made this mod just to get back into writing code. I am starting to make light versions of my other mods.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Don wrote: Thanks. I made this mod just to get back into writing code. I am starting to make light versions of my other mods.
Fine, thank you! Your other mods are very nice as well.

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

Dragonop wrote:
Don wrote:I will change the groups. What mod is acacia wood from?
Default :P
yes Paramat has made some nice changes to the Minetest game,
acacia trees being added is one of my favorites.
and we have nice mushrooms now in default too. :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I love the acacia trees (and their wood) as well :-)

Don

by Don » Post

My life got a little crazy and I haven't done anything with minetest for a few months. I just upgraded to the latest daily build. I see acacia tree is a part of default now. I have a bit of catching up to do.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I feel ya Don. Welcome back Buddy :D

Don

by Don » Post

I cleaned up the code, fixed pine wood and added acacia wood.

Don

by Don » Post

Update - Added particles.

Don

by Don » Post

I added a tint to the grooves so they are more visible.

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

wow, that looks cool :D

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Neat! I was just pondering chisel-related things. Here's an idea, instead of just being decorative how about having chisel do practical things as well? I love to explore caves and place stairs and ladders everywhere I go to make it more accessible, but it's a pain constantly pausing to craft those things. It'd be really spiffy if I could just hammer stair blocks or climbing handholds directly into the rock face with a chisel.

For stairs it'd be pretty simple, just a mode that converts a stone node into a stair node or a slab node. Stone "ladders" I'm not sure about, since they normally involve adding a surface-mount node.

Oh, and while I'm making blue sky suggestions, how about chiseling signs into rock as well? I'm constantly placing signs as I explore caves too, to make navigation easier in the twisty little warrens.

Don

by Don » Post

Great suggestions. I think I want to keep this a decorative chisel. I will make a new mod with your ideas. I just need a name for it. Any ideas?

Napiophelios

by Napiophelios » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
For stairs it'd be pretty simple, just a mode that converts a stone node into a stair node or a slab node. Stone "ladders" I'm not sure about, since they normally involve adding a surface-mount node.

Try BrandonReese's StairPick Mod

I have started use the chisel as a craft recipe item (thats returned after crafting) for stuff involving stone
Kinda helps when unique crafting recipes get scarce

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Don wrote:Great suggestions. I think I want to keep this a decorative chisel. I will make a new mod with your ideas. I just need a name for it. Any ideas?
How about a mason's hammer? That sounds more heavy-duty than a chisel, more suitable for hammering out big features like steps and footholds. It's a real thing, too, though I don't know exactly what it's used for: http://www.trowandholden.com/masonry.php

The "stair pick" mod Napiophelios mentioned looks like exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of, though not as versatile as your mode-switching approach. Maybe the mason's hammer could have the stair, slab, and handhold modes, and the chisel could have the decorative grooves and sign-carving modes? Sign-carving feels like more of a decorative chisel-style thing.

I'm really new to modding, I've only read through some of the documentation, but two approaches to carved ladders and signs come to mind. One could change the entire node into a stone "sign block" or "ladder block", that's simple but kind of weird since it would become readable or climbable on all of its sides simultaneously. Or one could spawn a new special ladder or sign node and make it so that mining that newly spawned node simply destroys it rather than putting it into your inventory (is that possible? Seems like it should be possible). That way you can't keep generating new signs or ladders off of the same node endlessly.

At this rate I'm never going to get any actual experience learning, I keep finding people who are already working on all the ideas I've had so far. :)

Don

by Don » Post

I like masons hammer. I think I know what to do to make it work.
If you want to work together on this that is great. I am not a pro but will work with you and help you any way I can. I want to make minetest better so helping others learn is a great way to do it. PM me if you want to work together on this.

Don

by Don » Post

I threw together a mason hammer. It takes 3 hits to make a ladder or foot hold. If you hit a block 4 times it destroys the block. For stair mode it only takes 1 hit.
Let me know what you think.
https://github.com/DonBatman/mymasonham ... master.zip

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Don wrote:I threw together a mason hammer. It takes 3 hits to make a ladder or foot hold. If you hit a block 4 times it destroys the block. For stair mode it only takes 1 hit.
Let me know what you think.
https://github.com/DonBatman/mymasonham ... master.zip
Heh. Today I went in to work thinking "I'll learn LUA, then maybe I can contribute more than ideas to that hammer thing." Nope, already done. :) I played around with it a bit and have a few suggestions, though.

* It'd be nice if the hammer made the same thunking noise as the pick did, and ideally if it had the same sort of gradual effect as the pick where you apply the animated cracking before the stone actually yields. It feels sort of like a magic wand right now.

* I kept having trouble with the final "destroy the node completely" step for the ladder/foothold modes, it was tricky keeping a continuous ladder or foothold path running for long without accidentally destroying a chunk and having to switch out of the hammer to fill it back in again. I'm not sure what circumstances I'd actually want that in, frankly. If I want nodes gone entirely the pick already does that job and gives me building materials in the process.

* The ladder and foothold modes produce basically the same result with only cosmetic differences. How about instead making it so the "ladder" mode works as it does now, creating a stone ladder in a shaft that can line up with the default wooden ladder, but the "foothold" mode produces the footholds on the *first* strike and doesn't excavate most of the target node. That way you'd have different use cases for the two - the foothold mode is for scaling an existing cliff or wall without digging a big trench through it in the process, and the ladder mode is for digging one-node-wide vertical shafts you can climb back up out of. Or does that not work with how ladders function? Do you need to be inside the same node as the ladder to make use of it? It seems like I can climb a ladder while not being entirely inside its node, so perhaps giving the foothold version a slight indent will work. It'll also make it easier to fall off of the foothold version, balancing out the speed with which it can be carved relative to the ladder.

All those quibbles aside, though, this is an excellent cave-exploration tool. Thanks. :)

Don

by Don » Post

I added in the complete removal of the node just to see if people liked it. I can easily remove that.
I had to make the ladder and foothold inset because it was too hard to get on from the top without falling.
As for you learning, I got bored today and decided to make this. Sorry. If you want to work on the mod and send me the changes you can. Are you on github?