[Modpack] Element Portals Mod [element_portals]

curieuxx
GitHub: curieuxx
In-game: curieuxx

[Modpack] Element Portals Mod [element_portals]

by curieuxx » Post

Adds teleport capabilities in the game trough the natural elements found in the world. Portals can have a custom name and you can select your destination. The mod is separated in submodules so you can chose to use a subset of portals.

Inspired by Compass Mod (by TeTpaAka) but anoyed by the time spend on walking I've developed a mod named : Element Portals with one kind of portal based on liquids (Water and Lava), another 3 portal kinds (Dirt, Sand, Tree) are in development, but until I finish them you can review and use these two:

Water Portal

Lava Portal

To install download the zip https://github.com/curieuxx/mod-element ... master.zip (or clone the git url https://github.com/curieuxx/mod-element_portals.git), unpack into your Mintest mods directory and optionaly rename the extracted folder to "element_portals". Don't forget to enable it from world configuration.

More details on the project Git repository https://github.com/curieuxx/mod-element_portals and on the wiki https://github.com/curieuxx/mod-element_portals/wiki

Developed on Mintest 0.4.9

Feel free to complain and I'll try my best to comply :)
Last edited by curieuxx on Sat Sep 13, 2014 08:37, edited 2 times in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: Element Portals Mod

by philipbenr » Post

Very impressive. I will be taking a look at this, and maybe even using it in my subgame.
Spoiler
Although I have never heard/used apache license before, am I right in saying that I may distribute it with no changes made?

Actually, all I wish to do is change the textures to 32px. So if I do so, then I would have to state that I made the changes to the textures and keep the apache license? I think this is correct...
Cant wait for the other portals.

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Regarding your question, afaik Apache Licence allows you to redistribuite on any form ("as is" or modified) you like as far as the original code remains in the same licence. Belive me I have a headache each time I open this chapter and I used Apache Licence mostly because is widely used and little to no complains about it.

All I really want is to grant everyone to do whatever with the code while being aligned right with the law stuff.

Many thanks for your review and if you like you can contribuite with the textures, with your credit on them ofcourse. The mod is still in development and I havent decided if these are the final textures, nevertheless I'm considering some modifications on the textures, but that depends entierly on the time I have.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

I think that GPLv3 would be a better choice, but that is up to you. And if I were to contribute textures, I would probably do GPLv3 (There is no plain CC-SA :( Oh well.)

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Since you're pointing all of these out I'm going to consider it, but first I'll do my research.

What do you mean by "plain CC-SA" ?
see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Until I decide if other licence would be better suited, I've licenced the whole under Apache Licence

Cheers.

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Look what poped out from my favorite search engine :D

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Apache 2 software can therefore be included in GPLv3 projects, because the GPLv3 license accepts our software into GPLv3 works. However, GPLv3 software cannot be included in Apache projects. The licenses are incompatible in one direction only, and it is a result of ASF's licensing philosophy and the GPLv3 authors' interpretation of copyright law.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Cool. So by the looks of it, I will not be able to contribute my stuff unless the whole project is changed to GPL or something more free.

And as for the post above, I would like plain CC-SA without the BY part. I don't wish to be recognized in my work. I, myself know that is more of a hassle to give credit to the managers of projects, so I try to make things nicer on the users of the project, because that is why I post it online, right?

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

I will not be able to contribute my stuff unless the whole project is changed to GPL or something more free.
Apache Licence and GPL are as free as you can get and they mostly guverment in which direction the project can be extended or copyed and distribuited from original form. From my understanding GPL is more restrictive than Apache Licence the big diffrence being that the derived work has to provide the source code of all work and release it under GPL while Apache Licence only sais that the derivations ar not forced to provide the source code and release the whole under a diffrent licence as long as they provide a copy of the licence for the part of the original work that was included in the derivation.

That beeing said here is what we can do, Personaly I'm satisfied with Apache Licence and I'm not willing to change it, but we can separate the textures from the source code and chose the licence you preffer. After all I don't think for texture/images as source code.

Cheers

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Alright. And sorry for being so offtopic. I'll stop doing that in this thread.

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

A new milestone was reached in this mod and the project gets closer to it's first beta release.

Next to the first two portals initially implemented another two portal kinds ware added :

Tree portals

Sand portals

Along with the new nodes, enhancements have been added from the technical aspects:
  • Item portals functions [Implemented] - allows to implement tools or items that act as IN portals
  • Portal filtering by their direction types (IN_OUT, IN, OUT) and groups [Implemented]
  • Allow portals to be powered with surrounding elements [implemented]
  • Other utility methods that will help for the future portal nodes [Implemented]
  • '/teleport_free' command [Implemented]
  • Sanitize portals - Checks for data and node pair, if they are not in sync then they are fixed - allows introducing new features without needing to clear world alteration made by previous implementation [implemented]
And several bugs ware fixed:
  • Portal name is generated with duplicates #9
  • Portal data is not syncronized with the node when burned or pulverized by tnt #10
  • Portal list from portal form contained and empty item #11
  • Overhead in register_abm for liquid portals #12
  • Double consumption on teleport #13
  • Various performance, complexity, DRY and cycle dependency fixes
For more details please refer to the wiki and the git repository

Feel free to complain and I'll try my best to comply :)

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Post

I like this, thanks for all your work.
Rename your post to [Modpack] Element Portals Mod [element_portals], it will be better.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Hmm I get stuck in the vortex of a sand portal.
Also, I don't really get how I can teleport things because the selection box stays empty, even if there are two teleporters.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Krock, a sand portal works in conjunction with the desert sand portal, first one is the input the second is the output, I think I forgot to mention that in the wiki, other than that you need to preselect from the sand portal your destination. otherwise you'll get stuck in the vortex.

Anyhow, thanks for pointing that out, I will think of something to be more user friendly and plan it for the next milestone.

Update :
Created the issue #14 for this.

Cheers
Last edited by curieuxx on Sat Sep 13, 2014 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

curieuxx

Re: [Modpack] Element Portals Mod [element_portals]

by curieuxx » Post

balthazariv that's a very good idea, Done it :)

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

very interresting idea, i will try it soon,
Good work !

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I noticed that these portals don't have sound effects. You can find a few to use below:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10013

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Oh thank you Inocudom, I was really looking for some sounds.

curieuxx

by curieuxx » Post

Hello, some time passed and I decided that I will not develop further this Mod.

Therefore, who want's to take ownership over https://github.com/curieuxx/mod-element_portals ?

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

This needs a bump.

xisd

by xisd » Post

I made a fork (two actually but that was not intentional) so that tree and water portal recipes support groups (tree, sapling, water_bucket) instead of only default.
But then I saw these two last posts...
Is there still someone around to make the merge ?

Kosmos
In-game: KosmosHD

by Kosmos » Post

Good mod.
+1

xisd

by xisd » Post

I've started working on a mese portal that teleport player to a random place in the world
Its is a public portal, so once placed anyone can use it.
Player should appear at random x,z coordinates and at a height of 14 or more depending if and where is the nearest ground.
In worst case, when ground is too far away, player appear in a 3x3x3 cave with a torch in it ( That happen only when arrival point is in the middle of a large mountain, but it's rare)

Normally player should never appear in stone (I say normally I've had some trouble with the delay when area is loading (should be fixed now))

Download : https://github.com/xisd/mod-element_por ... ortals.zip
Code : https://github.com/xisd/mod-element_portals

If someone wants to test it or review the code, advices are welcome.
For now mese portal looks like sand portal but with mese texture, fuel is mese crystal shard, or being placed between 4 mese blocks, and recipe require glass and mese crystals... but that could change later. Suggestions about that are welcomed too.

edit : update
- new public steel portal, in-out portal that can be used by others
- use name as <channel>:<portal> to link only to portal with the same <channel>: prefix
(see readme.md for full list of changes )