[Mod] FakeTrees [0.1]

Kociak
In-game: kociak

[Mod] FakeTrees [0.1]

by Kociak » Post

Licence: WTFPL
Mod dependencies: none (so far...)
Textures... well... Minetest's ones... - authored by Cisoun and PilzAdam (WTFPL)

Where to get it: https://github.com/kociak1984/faketrees

- History ("just why the heck you created this?")
As me and my friend have a world running in Minetest we wanted to place trees in the areas that are not in direct sunlight (that don't have sky above). So my friend told me "I need a tree here, but the sapling doesn't want to grow". Then he started making a tree up of other materials like "tree" and "leaves". "Hey, but I don't want apples nor flowers here!". Then I came up with the idea: why just don't take the nodes we need and strip out ABMs?

- What does it do?
This mod just adds blocks that allow you to "place a tree by hand" in any shape you want, out of basic components like "leaves" or "tree" blocks. Trees build this way do not change over time, so if you want to have one just for aesthetic purposes - you're free to go.

- But... ("you know this is ridiculous, right?")
Yes, I know. And probably I'm reinventing the wheel...

- Usage ("ok, I have it. now what?")
Download a zip, unpack to mods directory, rename to faketrees. Then just search available nodes for faketrees. Currently available nodes are: faketrees:tree, faketrees:leaves, faketrees:jungletree, faketrees:jungleleaves, faketrees:pinetree, faketrees:pine_needles. Pick one and just place it.

- But... ("you're not creative at all!")
I know that. My coding skills are not that good, so most of the code is either copied or trialed (will ot work?). Also textures are copied from the "default" mod. But soon I will make some textures

I seriously think that someone will enjoy the mod :)

- But...
...there will be updates!

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

Re: [Mod] FakeTrees [0.1]

by eduardomezencio » Post

But...

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Why not simply /give yourself the trunk/leaves for normal tree's and place those instead of defining nodes for each under fake tree's ? Placed leaves will not disappear when placed in default game...

Kociak

by Kociak » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Why not simply /give yourself the trunk/leaves for normal tree's and place those instead of defining nodes for each under fake tree's ? Placed leaves will not disappear when placed in default game...
What about that simple childish satisfaction that you managed to put some things together and that works?
I'm trying to learn LUA, so things like this are like achievements to me.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Good point... Adding new nodes was my first step also, and from there the lua bug caught hold and never let go :)

This will help a lot: http://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/index.html

Kociak

by Kociak » Post

Thank you for the link :)
At the moment I'm trying to make something different by following instructions you mentioned.