Vote for games to be bundled with Minetest

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

Re: Vote for games to be bundled with Minetest

by Ferk » Post

Is this voting still going on? Seems like it's been 1 year.

---- Nevertheless, my votes:

+1 for Tutorial. Imho, it's a must for anyone new and it would be handy to showcase the features of the engine. I got really excited and interested in minetest when I tried it.. it's a pity that many of the features are not really used much (like the different liquids, the spikes, the sticky no-jumping blocks, etc). Having it included would make it perfect so that it can be updated accordingly whenever a new feature kicks in.

Also, from the other topic it seems the developer has good ideas about better integration with minetest and the ability to "reset" the map, which could be helpful for other subgames that might be quest-based and prebuilt in a similar way as how tutorial is.

----

Other than Tutorial, it would be nice to bundle a more complete game (since minetest_game is too raw and has no perspectives of growing much).

I would like to vote for Adventuretest but it's not in the "declared ready" thread... so I pick Carbone since it features mobs and is not as heavy as Dreambuilder.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Post

Since [technic_game] is not ready yet, so my vote goes to [tutorial].

Every game needs a good tutorial and [tutorial] is a lot better than what some AAA titles offer for introducing players to game mechanics.

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Post

I think one thing should change about subgames, to allow tutorial and other games to be bundled with minetest nicely. Every game should have a property that would be set to "use_mapgen" or something like "use_premade_map". The former would be like every game is today. The latter would just copy a "model map" provided by the subgame. That would be the case for tutorial, it would create a new copy of the tutorial map for each world created and ignore mapgens.

With that said, my vote would go to [tutorial], for now.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

eduardomezencio wrote:I think one thing should change about subgames, to allow tutorial and other games to be bundled with minetest nicely. Every game should have a property that would be set to "use_mapgen" or something like "use_premade_map". The former would be like every game is today. The latter would just copy a "model map" provided by the subgame. That would be the case for tutorial, it would create a new copy of the tutorial map for each world created and ignore mapgens.

With that said, my vote would go to [tutorial], for now.
In theory, it would already be possible to make subgames that generate the whole map using schematics. I was trying to help Wuzzy with that, but we run into problems when it comes to entities (like the items that are dropped). If things like these get sorted out it would also have the benefit of reducing the size quite a lot (otherwise you have to ship a complete premade world that can be several megabytes in size).
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

I have some questions:
Is there a minimum of votes for a game to be bundled with the game? Or is that games will be bundled in future versions?
A year and some months have passed since this thread was made, but I have not seen other games apart of the default basic games.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Esteban wrote:I also vote for "Tutorial" (both game and map) to be added in the game! :)
I vote for it too

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

I vote for my own subgame, Pixture(biased!)
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

+1 for Pixture, decent textures, consistent gameplay, not many bugs.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

+1 for Pixture too.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Thanks for the support of Pixture :)

The biggest problem I think it has is that it's not compatible with minetest_game's item naming, and therefore will probably not get added as default ;(

Pixture

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Subgames do not need to be compatible with Minetest Game or any other subgame. That would be quite silly, actually. The whole point of subgames is to be completely self-contained, complete things.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

+1 for Pixture from me too! My pros and cons for this game here.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Tutorial, Pixture, and Voxelgardens.

NverConfusdForNothin
GitHub: loa-in-
In-game: rnarko

by NverConfusdForNothin » Post

I vote for Minetest Tutorial World because:

-I fail to see how such a contribution can be ignored in the knowledge of Minetest's own lack of illustratory material. It's already made and it's good. AFAIK the author published it as free to modify (but don't take my word for that), so after He shall in any case decide to stop working on it, someone could simply update it (if i'm right) to accomodate new changes.

-AFAIK the Minetest Tutorial World is the most complex (in sense of how it's made) scripted map (scenario) to date, to be published here.

-As said before, Minetest needs introductory material for new users.

-There is no pushing need to update it ever, as from the discussions on the forum I understand that we push for compatibility (in user experience) to the state the project is now. I'm basing this on the recent discussion here about improving the input controls. So at worst it'd be at most a bit out-of-date, big deal, yeah.

-Well, the user already made it, for all of us. If you even plan to break the map format compatibility (ever, which I'm surprisingly ready for) at least honor the author with inclusion of his map with current releases. For those wondering: No, I never heard anything about the breaking change I'm writing here about - it's just my imagination.

Please heed me now, leaders of this realm: do thou wish upon me to maintain an up-to-date fork of the glorious engine of thee, just for me to keep included the world many of us speak of here? Is this a wish of thee? Thou must mind that the world of Tutorial will never be complete in itself. If you seek completion in it: you art in my opinion very mistaken, regarding these matters, in your actions and/or spirit of mind.

Thank you, for your time!
MS
[PL]
- Never confused for naught.
-- me

neoascetic
GitHub: neoascetic
IRC: neoascetic
In-game: neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Pixture, even included it in my nightly OSX builds. Tutorial looks good for me too.

rugk
GitHub: rugk
In-game: rugk

by rugk » Post

+1 for "Tutorial by Wuzzy".

I think the reason is obvious: It is a tutorial and users should not be required to search for it in the forum.
Additionally there might be a better integration so that you do not have to look for the icon in the app (as described in the guide: http://wiki.minetest.net/Games/Tutorial), but there is either a separate button or it is e.g. offered at the first start of the game.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

+1 for tutorial

many people don't care to read old wiki pages and not everyone knows minecr*ft and how it works.
recently lots of new players came to the server with no idea how to do anything except walking around.
(and yes, they had the official minetest installed. i ususally ignore people with illegal hacked apps like worldcraft and multicraft)
there might also be people who don't care for tutorials, but usually people tend to try it first if there is one.
so the tutorial should be included and also visible, so that you can't miss it.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

do tutorial >>> it's good!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Tutorial.

Tutorial subgame is now able to generate the world from schematics, with entities and node metadata !!!

For me, that's obviously the first subgame to add to Minetest: it's for new players, that generally can't install mods and subgames, so as a separate subgame to download from minetest forums, it's nearly useless, contrary to other subgames that are rather installed by experienced players.
If Tutorial is bundled with Minetest, I expect a net increate of the number of players. Imagine: when you try a game, you're often disappointed on the first impression and close the game after 2 minutes. If your first impression is this beautiful castle, you will have a bigger chance to stay.

Apart from Tutorial, no subgame currently deserves to be bundled with Minetest IMO, like it has been said here (june 13th)
MirceaKitsune wrote:Unfortunately, there is no Minetest game that I can currently vote for right now. I imagine shall come back to this thread next year at best, but I'm subscribing it anyway because I'm interested.

The reason is that in my opinion, there is simply no good Minetest game yet. All games are part of one from two categories: Either they have a good appearance and consistent art style but are very simplistic, either a ton of nodes and mobs and features but disregard for good looks and artistic style. There are none that have both, at least not in a way I can consider balanced and appealing!
Maybe Pixture, I've heard good things about it but I can't say anything as long as I've not tried it.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:[...]
Maybe Pixture [...] as long as I've not tried it.
Try it, you won't be disappointed, unless you dislike cartoon textures :)

Pixture

cessna151
In-game: cessna151

by cessna151 » Post

Tutorial

How can you not bundle this is the question.
---“For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”---

gunvolt
IRC: gunvolt
In-game: gunvolt

by gunvolt » Post

Minetest: The Next Game is great. I would love to see it bundled. At least add the Creatures Mob Engine to minetest-game.
Also, Tutorial is essential, and would add to Minetest something Minecraft is missing, making MT an even more comparable game.
I internet regularly! librehomepage.wordpress.com

LNJ
GitHub: lnjX
IRC: LNJ
In-game: LNJ

by LNJ » Post

Minetest TNG - The NeXt Game!
Okay, it's my own subgame, but I think it is really cool and I'm going to add many new features in the next time (lightweight). And I don't develop it alone, my friends JBB and fridolin help me with textures and code.

And as gunvolt said above the tutorial game would be nice too.

I really hope they'll be added! :)
Storage Drawers - The simplest item storage in Minetest

Arcelmi
GitHub: Arcelmi
IRC: Arcelmi
In-game: Arcelmi

by Arcelmi » Post

I vote for Tutorial (world and subgame).
I don't speak very good English... | My mods

I've got a signature!

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

+1 for TNG.